"The attitude era ruined the industry!" - Page 4 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Asking Meltzer to rate my matches
 
DoubleDeckerBar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,016
DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000DoubleDeckerBar 5501 - 6000
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

The Attitude Era SAVED the business.

In the words of Chris Jericho, "You're a stupid stupid man!"
__________________

GOATZIL 2014
DoubleDeckerBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 25
outlaw1926 0 - 49
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

Attitude Era was the greatest part wrestling history
outlaw1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
HE'S FAT
 
Rocky Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,642
Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500Rocky Mark 4001 - 4500
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

to say that it ruined the business just because it spoiled the fans is a ludacris (forgot how to spell the original) statement

this is wrestling, they SHOULD spoil the fans as much as they can, always

saying that it was bad just because it made everything look bad in comparison, I say that's the current creative's fault, great ideas and directions in wrestling aren't limited, this isn't a cookie jar folks
__________________
Rocky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: like a bitch
Posts: 2,959
Rayfu Rayfu Rayfu Rayfu Rayfu Rayfu
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

The thing is 20 years down the road kinds form today will say now days was the greatist, you want prove go read the forums back in the 90's there are plenty of reports to back it up


I'd say this the AE was bad for the workers, to many spots that WHERE not needed, I'm not evben ssyin dont do them, but they did them almost evrey match evrey time mutiple times AND it kep getting bad

Also tell me how is hitting someone with a chir 5000 times "realistiac"
How is big show pulling down the tititiron "Relistic"

it weas not relistaic, it was out there, and it killed the guys working it.
Rayfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
GET MY BAGS
 
sharkboy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,386
sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500sharkboy22 5001 - 5500
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

The Attitude had great storylines and characters. But hotshotting the WWE title was amde famous by the era. Lower card titles such as the IC title started to lose their meaning. Yes, go back and re-watch it. The IC title was a meaningless piece of shit 9after the Hardcore title, the most meaningless piece of shit title). The fact that one of the feuds for the title during that era was Jericho vs Chyna shows how much of a joke the title became.It was very hard to keep track of the IC champ back in those days. They just played hot potato a lot with it. I don't care what anyone says, to me the IC title was worthless during the AE, especially in '98 and '99.

Another trend started by the AE that exists today is makeshift tag teams. At least the bookers back then knew who to randomly pair up (Rock and Foley) but then again they also made shitty decisions (Kane and X-Pac ) Speaking of tag teams, another set of titles that that they played hot potato with- the tag titles. The AE had great, actual tag teams but it's when they started experimented with pairing any two guys together and calling them a team.

Lastly, you had the Divas. Do I even need to explain? I don't think so.

To me the Attitude Era may have been (not is its) the most fun period of wrestling ever but it has affected the business negatively for those very same reasons I mentioned.
__________________
sharkboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
Working on my possession
 
DualShock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Posts: 4,065
DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500DualShock 11001 - 11500
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy22 View Post
The Attitude had great storylines and characters. But hotshotting the WWE title was amde famous by the era. Lower card titles such as the IC title started to lose their meaning. Yes, go back and re-watch it. The IC title was a meaningless piece of shit 9after the Hardcore title, the most meaningless piece of shit title). The fact that one of the feuds for the title during that era was Jericho vs Chyna shows how much of a joke the title became.It was very hard to keep track of the IC champ back in those days. They just played hot potato a lot with it. I don't care what anyone says, to me the IC title was worthless during the AE, especially in '98 and '99.
I disagree. The current era threats the titles like thrash. World titles in opening matches, midcard titles not even defended on PPVs, random tag team matches for the title not announced for the PPV.
In the attitude Era every title was defended at a PPV like it should be (except of when champions were in Survivor Series matches, KOTR tournaments or RR matches)
You said AE had great characters and storylines and that is what counts.
Drew McIntyre, Jack Swagger or Justin Gabriel might be more athletic than some guys from the AE but nobody cares if they compete for a title because they are bland and their matches and mini feuds have no real storylines.
People rather watch Vince Russo booking a 5 minutes triple threat match for the IC title between Chyna, Mideon and Godfather than a Gabriel vs. Swagger in a 20 minutes match for the prestigeous title full of headlocks and arm bars because pro wrestling lives from storylines and characters.
And the reason why Chyna was in the title picture was because she was popular.
She feuded with Jarrett and Russo wanted to end the storyline at Unforgiven 99 but the feud man vs. woman for the IC title was so well-received by fans that they continued to feud till No Mercy 99. One more proof why AE was so great, WWE listened to the fans and gave them what they want

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy22 View Post
Another trend started by the AE that exists today is makeshift tag teams. At least the bookers back then knew who to randomly pair up (Rock and Foley) but then again they also made shitty decisions (Kane and X-Pac ) Speaking of tag teams, another set of titles that that they played hot potato with- the tag titles. The AE had great, actual tag teams but it's when they started experimented with pairing any two guys together and calling them a team.
Actually not. Even if they paired random wrestlers it had a storyline behind. Kane & X-Pac, Justin Bradshaw & Faarooq, Marc Mero & Goldust, Stone Cold & Mankind, Owen Hart & The Rock etc. every tag team had a storyline and explanation why they formed a tag team.
Kane & X-Pac actually had a really great mini storyline as explanation why they team together.

In the current era you just throw 2 guys together like Matt Hardy & Great Khali and they are supposed to be a tag team.
Damien Sandow is the intellectual savior of the masses? Put him in a tag team with Cody Rhodes because he is so dashing.
Who needs an explanation for the Marella/Ryder tag team? They are both funny babyfaces, why bother and explain to the fans why they constantly team together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy22 View Post
Lastly, you had the Divas. Do I even need to explain? I don't think so.
Now I am confused. Divas are actually an argument that the Attitude Era was better because at least the divas wrestled longer than 3 minutes.
You had actually women who wrestled like Ivory, Trish, Lita, Molly, Jacqueline.
Excuse me if I'm wrong but if you mean that the divas were threated like sex objects in AE, well, what is the purpose of signing someone like Kelly Kelly then?
If you sign someone like Kelly Kelly then bring back bra & panties matches. If you want to threat women as real athletes then sign someone from SHIMMER and not a lingerie catalogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy22 View Post
To me the Attitude Era may have been (not is its) the most fun period of wrestling ever but it has affected the business negatively for those very same reasons I mentioned.
Is it today fun to watch? If making wrestling more fun to watch is affecting the business why should someone complain if that is the truth.
We watch it to be entertained. If Austin vs McMahon or Undertaker visiting the house of McMahon is affecting the business why should anyone care?
Still better than a Yoshi Tatsu vs Michael McGillicutty match what keeps the business alive.

Affecting the business negatively is when something fails, AE succeeded, it took pro wrestling to a whole new level.
Attitude Era is not the reason why the current product looks so mediocre. The current product looks mediocre because it is mediocre.
WWE 1995 sucked and there was no Attitude Era before where somebody can say "1995 is so mediocre because we had the great Attitude Era before"
The crap what happens today looks not like crap because 15 years ago WWE looked like gold
__________________
June 23 1996 - October 5th 1999
The real Attitude Era

http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/


DualShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #37 (permalink)
Asking Meltzer to rate my matches
 
KO Bossy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East of the Pacific Ocean, West of London, England, South of Mars, North of Hell
Posts: 8,136
KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000KO Bossy 10501 - 11000
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy22 View Post
The Attitude had great storylines and characters. But hotshotting the WWE title was amde famous by the era. Lower card titles such as the IC title started to lose their meaning. Yes, go back and re-watch it. The IC title was a meaningless piece of shit 9after the Hardcore title, the most meaningless piece of shit title). The fact that one of the feuds for the title during that era was Jericho vs Chyna shows how much of a joke the title became.It was very hard to keep track of the IC champ back in those days. They just played hot potato a lot with it. I don't care what anyone says, to me the IC title was worthless during the AE, especially in '98 and '99.

Another trend started by the AE that exists today is makeshift tag teams. At least the bookers back then knew who to randomly pair up (Rock and Foley) but then again they also made shitty decisions (Kane and X-Pac ) Speaking of tag teams, another set of titles that that they played hot potato with- the tag titles. The AE had great, actual tag teams but it's when they started experimented with pairing any two guys together and calling them a team.

Lastly, you had the Divas. Do I even need to explain? I don't think so.

To me the Attitude Era may have been (not is its) the most fun period of wrestling ever but it has affected the business negatively for those very same reasons I mentioned.
Hot potato with the IC belt in 1998? You see folks, this is a prime example of a person who doesn't know what they're talking about, yet decides to open their mouths and make uninformed comments. There were THREE IC champions in 1998. The Rock won it in late 1997, kept it until Summerslam where he lost it in a terrific Ladder match to Triple H, then Hunter held it for a few months before he vacated it due to injury, and Ken Shamrock won it in a tournament. That's it. 3. So how the fuck is this hot potato? In fact, how is this hard to keep track of? There's 3 guys, not exactly much brain power required for that.

Then again, I can see how you would think the IC title was worthless back then, considering you're a fan of the current era of WWE booking. Seriously, how are you a fan of an era where no title means anything and all credibility surrounding them has gone out the window, but you actually have the nerve to call the IC title in the late 90s worthless. Crappy as Chyna's wrestling ability was, the fans were into it, and the belt at least had some significance back in the day, as opposed to now where...fuck, I don't even know who has it. Again, this proves you've got bad taste.

Continuing on with what you comment on yet are obviously uninformed, you claim that Attitude started the era of tag teams where two random guys just teamed up and won the titles. Again, wrong. Know your history-you can find instances of two random guys teaming up to win the titles several times in New Generation, as early as 1994 when Marty Jannetty and 123 Kid teamed up to win the titles. Oh then we got 123 Kid and Bob Holly. Then Owen Hart and Yokozuna. Attitude was NOT the era to start this trend.

I also don't know how you can comment on the Divas back then being atrocious when a few of them at least knew how to wrestle. Sable could do a powerbomb, that's already better than 90% of the divas roster today. Lita on her own could out wrestle today's roster.

Just fails everywhere in your post.
__________________


"The taller the chefs hat the greater the chef.... FOOLS .... Who said I was a chef?!"
KO Bossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
Fired by SCOTT STEINER
 
Ether's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,041
Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000Ether 3501 - 4000
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

wow, I just used the wrong smiley to rep someone in this thread. Welp, happens to everyone soon enough.

To answer the OP, no.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREDMI View Post
You're fucken damn right, you've rustled my jimmies & I assume everyone else's!!! I tell you what, I'll pay your airfare over to Melbourne, it will only be a one way ticket though, because I will KILL you, you child molesting fuckwit!!!
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #39 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 176
DNoD 50 - 100
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

No it did not!
DNoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
 
Choke2Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,410
Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000Choke2Death 21501 - 22000
Default Re: "The attitude era ruined the industry!"

As said, it ruined the industry in the sense that the only way to go from there is down. Otherwise, from an entertainment standpoint, it's untouchable!
__________________
Choke2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios