Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
Join Date: Jul 2011
Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread
I'm not anti-Ryback at all!
ECW One Night Stand 2005:
Lance Storm vs Chris Jericho - ***1/2
- A pretty good wrestling contest to start this night off. This is something you will barely see for the rest of the night since ECW was more about destruction than mat-wrestling but these guys do just fine in representing the latter here.
Super Crazy vs Tajiri vs Little Guido - ***
- A very short contest between three great cruiserweights. Other than that awesome moonsault from the balcony, I've already forgotten the rest of this match, though.
Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis - ***1/4
- A nice and short fast paced battle between two other cruiserweights. I was sleepy when watching it last night, so I don't have much else to add other than mentioning that perfectly executed hurricanrana that led to the final pin.
Sabu vs Rhyno - ***
- I'm a sucker for matches that rely heavily on spots and this one is just that. Nothing huge but it's Sabu so you can expect him to jump around the ring with steel chairs and going through tables. This also carries on the tradition of short matches throughout the PPV so far.
Chris Benoit vs Eddie Guerrero - ***
- Very underwhelming, I must say. Although that might just be because of my expectations for a match involving two of the greatest wrestlers ever (and in Benoit's case, THE greatest IMO). The speed never picks up and it looks like both men are having an off day here.
Mike Awesome vs Tanaka - ***3/4
- This is nothing more than a spot-fest but I don't know about others, I absolutely love it! So many memorable spots and the crowd is at its best here which says a lot since there's never a silent minute for them. That powerbomb to the table outside the ring had one of the most awkward landings I've seen but these ECW guys are very reckless and no matter what bumps they take, they always continue! Worth noting is the disturbing comments from Joey Styles when Mike Awesome does a suicide dive.
The Dudley Boyz vs Tommy Dreamer/The Sandman - ***1/4
- Match is truly a mess. First it starts off with a bunch of ECW originals interfering then when it gets going, it's all over the place with even more interference, a variety of weapons being used everywhere and an impressive finish with the Dudleyz putting Dreamer through a flaming table. But so what? This is extremely entertaining and a good main event!
Overall: ***1/2 out of ***** (Extremely enjoyable PPV without a single bad match. Just exciting whole way through with an awesome crowd and many memorable moments. Even the segments are awesome from Heyman shooting on the crusaders to Stone Cold's surprise appearance in the end to RVD cutting a real promo where he tells the truth about being given no storylines and having a vocabulary beyond "cool" and "whatever". It's also funny how Kurt Angle is booed here yet they cheer him the next year against Randy Orton. I also can't omit the "Fuck you Smackdown" chants which made me chuckle. Just an overall great night. Lastly, great commentary from Foley and Styles.)