I thought there were tons of great TV and PPV matches in 2012, so I obviously liked it a lot more
Good storylines + good wrestling would be great, but that rarely happens at the same time. 2000 is the best example (and the greatest year in WWF history
). I genuinely do not think there was a single bad Raw or SD in 2000. Same for 2001. If something sucked on the show, you can be guaranteed that there would be a bunch of other stuff that didn't. These days its the other way around. On a 3 hour Raw we are lucky to get 1 or 2 good matches, followed by 5 or 6 shit matches and a bunch of god awful segments and promos.
Just got through watching the Jan 10th, 2000 Raw show and all of this is 100% true.
- Show opens with Rock demanding the return of Foley or else the entire roster will walk on Trips and Stephanie
- They rehire Mick and the title match is set for MSG at the Rumble
- Rock sets up Billy Gunn vs. Road Dogg and Triple H vs. X-Pac along with a massive main event in Rock/Foley/Acolytes vs. DX
- DX is at war with each other throughout the course of the night in their matches and in the back
- Main event DX walk out on HHH and leave him with Foley
- Trips and Foley end up having an awesome brawl, PEDIGREE THROUGH THE ANNOUNCE TABLE!!!!
- Foley rips his mask off and comes back fighting even though HHH wins the match
- Show ends with Trips looking he's seen a ghost as Foley stands tall in the ring despite everything he just did to him, foreshadowing the awesome SD promo and return of Cactus Jack
I haven't even touched the midcard yet. All of this in 1 fucking show. The gap in quality from back then and now is just ridiculous tbh.