Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread
Royal Rumble 2006:
Cruiserweight Six Way - ★★¾
- A typical fast paced cruiserweight match with a lot of spots. Paul London is awesome as usual and that Shooting Star Press on the outside was insane. Gregory Helms comes back to Smackdown and wins the whole match. Also what took Jamie Noble so long? He had been gone for so long by this point. Unless he was on Velocity, that is.
Mickie James vs Ashley - ★★
- Not terrible but kind of dull and even though both try, it's nothing special. Just an okay match and at this point, I'm just waiting for Mickie to turn fully heel.
The Boogeyman vs JBL - 0
- I'll play word association game with this one. TRASH.
The Royal Rumble Match - ★★★½
- A very fun match that gets placed in the middle of the show for some stupid reason. Very entertaining and although it feels a bit too long and the middle part of it gets a bit boring with too many guys in the ring, I still loved it. But it does place the match below 2005 for that reason. Lots of highlights such as Rey Mysterio pulling off a Chris Benoit-like move and lasting the entire match for 62 minutes, his little piece of ring action with Triple H in the beginning (shame they never went one on one), Chris Benoit when he initially appears giving Germans and chops left and right as well as the return of Mr. Pay-Per-View, RVD, after being away for a year. He does have some ring rust as some moves are barely done successfully. The ending was also awesome with Rey using the "magic legs" to eliminate The Game (gets a HUGE pop) and then Orton. I think the whole "looking at Eddie up in heaven" part post-match was a bit over the top, though. Sucks that Vince is such a douchebag as he HAD to exploit Eddie's death directly afterwards in the Orton/Rey feud. Also heel Vince and his feud with Shawn Michaels is fucking boring. Can't believe I'm going to endure this shit for almost the whole year.
John Cena vs Edge - ★★½
- A decent title match which makes Edge a transitional champion and gets Cena back the gold. Starts off very boring with a lot of time spent on the outside and too much count-out shit then when Cena gets in and starts to get in some offense, the match really picks up. Still feels a bit slow and the ending is very half-assed Super Cena material as he suddenly gets an adrenaline rush and does his five moves of doom before putting Edge in the STFU for the victory. This was a very stupid move by the company since Cena was really starting to lose some of the boos during the Royal Rumble build-up as the title was finally off him after 9 long months. As we all know, the heat got worse after this by Wrestlemania time and beating Triple H did him no favors. Before I move on, I also have to put over Cena's AWESOME entrance which should have been saved for a Wrestlemania. Prefer it to any WM entrance he's had so far.
Kurt Angle vs Mark Henry - ★★
- A very boring main event to say the least. Too much of this "strong monster heel" shit going on which slows it down for a 9 minute long match. I did like the booking of Angle, despite being a face, resorting to cheating his way to victory, though. A rare thing that is not done very often by WWE in recent times and not even in the past unless it would part of a gimmick like Eddie Guerrero. Crowd is also bored at this point, probably curious why this main evented the show. Undertaker's appearance in the end was pretty cool, though. Loved how they did the effect thing so it looked like he had magical powers using his hands and I laughed at him arriving with a horse, lol. Pretty dull match but cool ending.
Overall: ★★★ out of ★★★★★ (This is a mixed bag with some good stuff and at least one real bad part. JBL/Boogeyman was horrible, the title matches were underwhelming while the opening two were okay filler. As usual with these PPVs, the Rumble match itself is the true savior. Far from the best match of its kind but a very enjoyable one with a great ending. It's safe to say I did enjoy the PPV overall and the ending to it was memorable even though it could've been saved for Smackdown that week as it did not exactly bump the buyrates. As far as I know, there was no promotions for Taker returning or anything so it was very pointless unless ratings were needed desperately.)