New Year's Revolution 2006:
Ric Flair vs Edge - ★★
- Was doing well and going great in the first few minutes but then it ended way too soon when Lita interfered and took the Figure Four followed by Edge hitting Flair in the head with the briefcase. I can only hope their TLC match the next week will be better and I'm sure it will.
Trish Stratus vs Mickie James - ★★¾
- A pretty enjoyable match. Not as good as their Wrestlemania match but this one was fun and both did their job pretty well. Plus the teasing of Mickie finally turning to the dark side worked well with the storyline. And for once, the women's division finally has a storyline with development!
Jerry Lawler vs Gregory Helms - ★★
- To me, this is more comedy than anything else. And it really looked like both men were just playing around. Helms and his constant heelish facial expressions (plus going over to the announce table) and Lawler's victory comeback. Nothing special but not annoying although it could have done away with a couple of minutes.
Triple H vs Big Show - ★★★¾
- A very good match here. Big Show does a great job at selling the injured arm and HHH does some masterful work on it by constantly going back to re-injuring it. They get a lot of time to go with and HHH finally looks like an underdog after having been the odds for so long. He tries everything to take out the Big Show and win but in the end after a ref bump, he finally finds the perfect weapon with the sledgehammer to the head and the Pedigree. I enjoyed this one a lot.
Shelton Benjamin vs Viscera - ½★
- This is just painful. Shelton's "momma" is extremely annoying and so stereotypical, can be funny at times but she never shuts up either. And Shelton doing his very best to carry Viscera to a passable match but he fails because not only is his opponent pure crap but they also get too much time. At least, Shelton's losing streak is mercifully over here.
Bra and Panties Gauntlet - 0
John Cena vs Carlito vs Kane vs Chris Masters vs Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels (Elimination Chamber) - ★★★★
- Not as good as the chamber match from 2005 but still pretty entertaining and I loved it. I got some gripes such as Kurt Angle being eliminated early while he was on fire suplexing everyone left and right and the stupid lack of logic in the ending when Masters and Carlito were supposed to work together in eliminating everyone yet Carlito betrays Masters only to get rolled up himself. That aside, a very entertaining match and that's what matters. Besides, Kurt Angle went to Smackdown the same week and became World Heavyweight Champion so not much for me to complain about. And I have to talk about the crowd here. They are so
anti-Cena, more than any crowd before them. The guy can't even get up from the mat without getting heavily booed and it gets to the point that they take anyone
over him including Chris Masters who got silent reaction and the thumbs down. I also noticed the first ever "Let's go Cena"/"Cena sucks" dual chant towards the end. And looking into Cena's eyes early on, you can see the frustration with the boos.
Edge vs John Cena - N/A
- Not really ratable but this is a classic moment and one that smarks were dying for back then. Edge finally cashes in the Money in the Bank contract and Cena's long title reign is over at last. Match is nothing more than two Spears followed by Edge's celebration and the crowd heavily cheering.
★★★ out of ★★★★★ (A very decent opening PPV to the year of 06. Some terrible shit between the best matches of the show and some okay undercard matches along with the two standout main matches. Also a memorable ending where Edge finally cements his place in the main event and would remain so until his retirement. Ultimately, the bad stuff took up too much time so that knocks this PPV down into the middle of the road. Another thing I wanna mention is the three hand signs with the thumb sticking out in the crowd. When they like something, it goes up and if not, it goes down. Pretty cool.)
Now I'm done with another PPV, it's time to finish my Orton/Cena series before new year!