Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
Join Date: Jul 2011
Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread
JBL vs Matt Hardy - *1/2
- Very boring and about as stupid as a "feud" can get. JBL interrupts a Matt interview the week before and for that, they start feuding. As expected, Matt gets jobbed out with what is pretty much a clean loss. I really don't count the exposed turnbuckle as anything.
MNM vs Mexicools - **3/4
- Pretty pointless to take the tag titles off MNM as it took away the only story to this match. But for what it is, I enjoyed it as a purely fun tag team contest with four athletic guys doing their thing. Doesn't go on for too long so it's entertaining as long as it lasts. MNM win the match.
Chris Benoit vs Booker T - ***3/4
- After beating Benoit three times in a row, Booker loses the first time in this best of 7 series to give Benoit some momentum and continue the series. This one went for about 20 minutes and is a bit different to their previous matches. Benoit does some leg-work early on which Booker barely sells later on while Booker's wife distracts Benoit as much as possible. Some great nearfalls and the crowd is better here than most of the PPV. After a ref bump, Benoit hits his signatures on Booker followed by the Crossface for the victory. There's also a little Eddie tribute with the Three Amigos. Also I've seen him use the Belly to Belly Overhead quite a bit in his Booker matches around this period. Very good match although not as good as No Way Out 06.
Bobby Lashley vs William Regal & Paul Burchill - **
- I like Burchill's offense but this was pretty much a squash match. Bobby dominates with ease and wins.
Kid Kash vs Juventud - **1/2
- An okay cruiserweight match but despite their efforts, it feels a bit uninteresting and some assholes in the crowd try their best to ruin it with "Boring" chants. Some cool spots so it's not bad.
Kane & Big Show vs Rey Mysterio & Batista - **
- I don't get this at all. Rey and Dave beat MNM for the tag titles on Smackdown before the PPV and the sole purpose was to make this a "tag champs vs tag champs" match. Raw finally get their upper-hand by winning an interpromotional match here. Pretty short and nothing special, although the finish was cool and I liked the spot where Rey quickly gave Kane a dropkick after he sat up.
The Undertaker vs Randy Orton - ****1/2
- After having feuded nearly the entire year, this comes to an end inside Hell in a Cell. Lots of memorable moments and great matches throughout and this is the perfect ending to this classic battle. I admit that it got a bit silly towards the end with all the over-the-top mind games but it is what it is with the Undertaker. Also Orton's hair looks goofy as fuck and his promo the week before was funny to listen to. For 30 minutes, they put it all on the line and there's lots of excellent back and forth action both inside and outside the ring although they never exit the cell. Everyone bleeds from the wrestlers to Bob Orton to even the referee. As I said, 30 minutes and I never feel any rush to see the match end. Just entertaining throughout and the finish is also great with Orton doing the Tombstone himself then Taker takes control and ends both Ortons with a Tombstone each.
Overall: *** out of ***** (A decent PPV but only 2 out of the matches are really worth a watch. The US Title and HIAC ones. But they are VERY good and one is a classic. And outside of the ring action, there's a shitty Boogeyman segment with the FBI but a funny segment involving Tim White and Josh Matthews where the former "offs himself" by a shotgun bullet. I have no idea what this was about but I've found every one of them segments funny. From Josh's bad acting to the over the top suicide attempts that somehow go unsuccessful.)