Special Attraction at Wrestlemania
Join Date: Jul 2011
Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread
Ric Flair vs Carlito - ***1/4
- A very nice start to the PPV with some nice spots. Most notably is the pop Flair gets when he finally connects with a top rope maneuver. And finally, he also wins the Intercontinental Championship with the Figure Four. A feel good moment for Naitch and an overall enjoyable match.
Trish Stratus & Ashley vs Torrie Wilson & Victoria - *1/2
- Apart from Trish returning, nothing interesting found here.
Big Show vs Snitsky - **1/4
- Extremely uninteresting just like most things involving Snitsky.
Shelton Benjamin vs Kerwin White - **1/4
- Kerwin White has to be one of the stupidest gimmicks ever. And this match was not even announced prior to the PPV. What a complete waste of Shelton. Earlier in the year, fans expected him to be a future World Champion yet this is what he gets to do followed by some stupid losing streak.
Matt Hardy vs Edge - ****1/2
- Absolutely awesome. A very hot crowd for a brutal steel cage match between these two. Just love how they show the hatred between them by going all out and giving it their best. The ending is very epic with Lita interfering only to take the Twist of Fate followed by Edge's Spear which Matt kicks out to a huge pop. Then when Matt is about to escape, he decides to land a pitch perfect Legdrop for the victory. It caught me by surprise because I could've sworn that I remembered reading that Edge won this match. It also makes up for the terrible build-up this match had with Matt jobbing left and right to Rob Conway, Snitsky and not even being able to win a tag match with Big Show as his partner.
The Hurricane & Rosey vs Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch - **
- The tag division is beyond dead at this point. Hurricane and Rosey have held the titles for almost 6 months here yet they made a total amount of 10 appearances on Raw at most. Cade & Murdoch take the titles of them but it's so uninteresting. The tag division today has more life than Raw in 05 ffs! I must say the DDT from the apron to the floor was pretty cool, though.
Shawn Michaels vs Chris Masters - ***1/2
- Shawn manages to carry Masters to a very good match similar with Undertaker & Heidenreich the year before. Credit to Masters too. He does a great job working on the back and being a powerhouse whereas Shawn remains the Showstopper as always with a very good performance. They book Masters so strongly that Shawn even has to cheat his way to victory by using a lowblow to escape the Master Lock. Shawn wins after the Sweet Chin Music. Enjoyed it a lot!
John Cena vs Kurt Angle - ***1/2
- A bit overbooked after the ref bump but it's very good while it lasts. Angle is on fire with his Wrestling Machine character while Cena does a great job selling the Ankle Lock as well as trying to keep this a brawl rather than a wrestling match which the announcers take notes of numerous times throughout. Not their best match but a great effort with a DQ finish to further the storyline. This is also slowly the start for the anti-Cena group of fans that booed him everywhere. While the minor boos have been noticeable since SummerSlam, they started fading away on the build-up to Unforgiven but after this, the fans went harder on Cena and it got very bad in 2006.
Overall: *** out of ***** (Unforgiven is a decent PPV this time around. Three great matches along with a decent one, but on the other hand, the rest of the card is boring. Still, it's recommended because the good outdoes the bad without a doubt.)