Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread
Royal Rumble 2007:
Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy vs MNM - ★★¾
- This has just been dragging on up to this point as a feud and I'm getting tired of it. The match is decent and there's some standard tag action that's on par with their match from December to Dismember but yeah, not exactly what you watch this show for. Hardy's win and we are one step closer towards the end of this lengthy feud.
Bobby Lashley vs Test - ★¾
- Not horrible but not good either. Gets enough time to run at barely below 10 but it is also rather boring and not much happens. Lashley sells a bad shoulder a bit and then there's a horrible count-out finish where Test just walks away. Made no sense whatsoever.
Batista vs Mr. Kennedy - ★★★½
- A very good match and another for Kennedy's streak of good matches since his 2006 return from injury. Great selling by Batista which doesn't happen that often and also very good leg work by Kennedy. In the end, both men look good in this and Kennedy is well protected as he has Batista pinned for several seconds while the referee is down. Good action and finish. And I guess the start of Batista's streak for solid in-ring matches too.
John Cena vs Umaga - ★★★★½
- What can I say that hasn't been said already about this? Just an awesome, all out brawl. Umaga with another excellent monster performance and Cena giving us one of his best babyface performances. He sells the ribs to perfection, times his comebacks very well and they work their moves into every part extremely well. It's funny how Cena seemed clueless just a few months earlier when controlling the pace of that Cyber Sunday match but suddenly here, he's got everything under control and it helps that Umaga is a hell of a worker for a big man. Some good spots too such as the announce table bump and Cena throwing the steps from the ring onto Umaga on the outside. Some will nitpick about the finish but I honestly didn't mind it. It's blatantly scripted but so are many other moves. Cena wins by choking Umaga out with the STFU using the ropes around Umaga's throat which makes him the last man standing at the count of 10.
The Royal Rumble - ★★★★¼
- A great Rumble match with plenty of star power and entertaining throughout. Unlike 2006, this one doesn't drag in the middle of portion and rarely does it feel like too many people are in the ring. This one is more like the 2004 Rumble minus all the story advancements from there. Then there's what everyone loves this for - the finishing sequence. After eliminating Rated RKO alone, HBK goes toe to toe with Undertaker to start off their awesome feud from this point. Seven great minutes with some good commentary and a good crowd as the hometown hero, Shawn Michaels is looking to win a third Rumble while Undertaker wants to finally get his title shot at Wrestlemania which he's waited years for. In the end, Taker finally gets his well-deserved Rumble victory and another classic Rumble comes to an end.
Overall: ★★★¾ out of ★★★★★ (A very good show that continues on the roll from New Year's Revolution. Starts off slow with two matches that were kind of filler but picks up for the rest of it with a solid World Title match and an excellent LMS match following it. The Rumble itself is also one of the best ever which makes for one great show. Certainly a huge step up from the terrible 2006 Rumble show where the only good part of it was a decent Rumble match.)