Raging Bull or Rocky? - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums

View Poll Results: Raging Bull or Rocky?

Raging Bull 7 41.18%
Rocky 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 03-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 782
djmathers1207 djmathers1207
Default Raging Bull or Rocky?

This is most likely going to be an interesting debate between these two classics and I thought it would be cool to see what movie is better.
djmathers1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
DEZ
 
MrMister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Book of Love
Posts: 27,223
MrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

They're so different though. Despite having boxing as the backdrop, they're almost night and day.

Raging Bull? Rocky? lol nah I can't choose between the two.
MrMister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
eddiefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 2,228
eddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friendseddiefan needs to make some friends
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

Agree with MrMr.

Two totally different movies. Rocky is one of the best feel-good flicks ever made and Raging Bull is a great look into the life of a flawed man with too many insecurities who just happens to be a boxer. Both should be rated on their own right and not compared.
__________________
eddiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,833
austin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missed
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

Completely different movies.Can't be compared.

Which one I liked better:Rocky.Best Sports film of all time.Stallone was born to play Rocky just like Talia Shire was born to play Adrian
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Can't stop eating peanuts
 
Bubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Highway 61
Posts: 7,745
Bubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

So I'll be the first to say it, Raging Bull is better. Rocky is great, but as a piece of film making I don't see why you couldn't say the former was better. Stylistically and thematically it's far more impressive and interesting, it has a better leading performance, it's Scorsese at the top end of his game. Such a brilliant character study. This isn't a knock on Rocky, it's just that I feel Bull has far more to offer as a film. I don't think just because two films are different they can't be compared in quality especially in a case like this where to me one has a clear edge for me personally. Sometimes that can be the case but for me this isn't one of them.
Bubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DEUTSCHLAND
Posts: 6,535
Patrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a pushPatrick Bateman is getting a push
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

I'm a DeNiro guy.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stopping The Show
 
Hart Break Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Glas Vegas
Posts: 1,913
Hart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friendsHart Break Kid needs to make some friends
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

no contest Raging Bull! Raging bull over all the Rockys combined.

One has Deniro and Pesci 2 of the GOAT
The other has Stallone... nuff said.
__________________
Hart Break Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
DEZ
 
MrMister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Book of Love
Posts: 27,223
MrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREWMrMister is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubz View Post
So I'll be the first to say it, Raging Bull is better. Rocky is great, but as a piece of film making I don't see why you couldn't say the former was better. Stylistically and thematically it's far more impressive and interesting, it has a better leading performance, it's Scorsese at the top end of his game. Such a brilliant character study. This isn't a knock on Rocky, it's just that I feel Bull has far more to offer as a film. I don't think just because two films are different they can't be compared in quality especially in a case like this where to me one has a clear edge for me personally. Sometimes that can be the case but for me this isn't one of them.
You're so going out on a limb by saying Raging Bull is better. Good job taking a stand.

What more specifically does Raging Bull have to offer? Any theme you bring up will probably be in stark contrast to themes in Rocky.

Is self destruction really that much more interesting than the underdog defying the odds? Is Jake being a total fucking dick to everyone is his life really that much more interesting than Rocky being a stand up guy? Are the two characters polar opposites? When are your left hand?

Technically, yeah Raging Bull is better. I'm sure its budget was higher as well. Yeah Scorsese is a master filmmaker. He's awesome etc.

If you're going to compare the two, then compare them on how well each does what they're trying to do. Rocky hits a grand slam. Raging Bull is kinda boring, impressive looking, but ultimately pretty damn dull. It's still effective, but the elation that Rocky brings is greater than the morose melancholy of Raging Bull. This isn't to say depressing movies can't be amazing and immensely entertaining. They can be, but Raging Bull isn't actually one of these.

Really though, I still say comparing these two movies to find which is "better" is like comparing It Happened One Night and 2001: A Space Odyssey.
MrMister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,111
Expectnomercy316 is an after thoughtExpectnomercy316 is an after thought
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart Break Kid View Post
no contest Raging Bull! Raging bull over all the Rockys combined.

One has Deniro and Pesci 2 of the GOAT
The other has Stallone... nuff said.
this.
Expectnomercy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Can't stop eating peanuts
 
Bubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Highway 61
Posts: 7,745
Bubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Raging Bull or Rocky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister View Post
You're so going out on a limb by saying Raging Bull is better. Good job taking a stand.

What more specifically does Raging Bull have to offer? Any theme you bring up will probably be in stark contrast to themes in Rocky.

Is self destruction really that much more interesting than the underdog defying the odds? Is Jake being a total fucking dick to everyone is his life really that much more interesting than Rocky being a stand up guy? Are the two characters polar opposites? When are your left hand?

Technically, yeah Raging Bull is better. I'm sure its budget was higher as well. Yeah Scorsese is a master filmmaker. He's awesome etc.

If you're going to compare the two, then compare them on how well each does what they're trying to do. Rocky hits a grand slam. Raging Bull is kinda boring, impressive looking, but ultimately pretty damn dull. It's still effective, but the elation that Rocky brings is greater than the morose melancholy of Raging Bull. This isn't to say depressing movies can't be amazing and immensely entertaining. They can be, but Raging Bull isn't actually one of these.

Really though, I still say comparing these two movies to find which is "better" is like comparing It Happened One Night and 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I'd say that yeah, it's far more interesting a subject, especially in this case. Rocky is a very paint by numbers storyline, that's absolutely fine if that's what you prefer. I just find that nobody does broken characters like Scorsese and this is probably in his top 3 films ever for me, so that should tell you how much I like it. I completely disagree with it being dull, I think it's anything but and I'd say that I find Rocky to be far less engrossing or compelling. That's your opinion though and I respect that. I'd take a character study of a total bastard as long as it's compelling (which I definitely find this to be) over a generic 'underdog hero defies everything' story any day. That's just me though. I just think Raging Bull is a far more impressive achievement than Rocky all around but that's just to my tastes. Nobody will be turned on this, people who like Rocky more obviously have their reasons and it would be down to personal taste just like mine for Raging Bull.
Bubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios