Largest arms in the world, BROTHER!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Re: Ranking the Rocky Opponents
1) Apollo Creed = They certainly got the most out of him. At first, he was the ultimate boxer. The standard that Rocky had to match. He was basically fictionalized Muhammad Ali. Then he developed into Rocky's friend and they formed a bond of mutual respect and admiration. And then we saw him die and the pain Rocky had to go through in dealing with that. They covered a lot of ground with Apollo and
2) Mason "The Line" Dixon = It might seem like sacrilege to rank him above Mr. T and Dolph Lundgren, but I felt like he was the most human of the Rocky opponents. I don't even view him as a villain. I look at the sixth film as having a dual protagonist set up as both Rocky & Mason are fighting to prove something and ultimately achieve their goals at the end of the movie. To me, that was kind of a breath of fresh air from the typical format of "set up bad guy, bad guy gets upperhand, Rocky fight's bad guy, Rocky wins".
3) Ivan Drago = This dude scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. This is how pro wrestling should present their monster heels. You just knew by looking at him that he was bad news. He also killed Apollo Creed. You don't fuck with Ivan Drago!
4) Clubber Lang = It is Mr. T and if you find Mr. T entertaining, then there you go. He is definitely the most quotable of the Rocky villains and is tons of fun to watch. Like Drago, you know he is a total bad ass, but he has the mouth to back him up too. Also like Drago, I guess you can blame him for a major death in the series as Mickey died of a heart attack after an altercation with him.
5) Thunderlips = It is cool to have Hulk Hogan in a Rocky movie and that fight is totally insane. It serves almost no purpose in the overall story besides just being wildly entertaining.
6) Tommy "The Machine" Gunn = Yeah, he sucked, lol. I guess he's better than Union Cane though. They idea was good enough: Rocky's student goes rouge and turns on him, but I found him to be whiny and annoying and not much of a threat physically.
7) Spider Rico = The bum that Rocky punks out at the start of the first movie. He's just a jobber.
8) Group of Fighters in the montage of Rocky III = Rocky's jobbers! lol.