General Movie Discussion Part II (part III coming soon) - Page 312 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3111 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 AM
Ayatollah of Moral turpitude
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Seems like the general consensus on Beasts is a . Great justification from everyone that commented on it too.


Speaking of Westerns, anyone here fans of the Acid/Peyote Western subgenre? Movies like Walker (1987) Dead man (1995), Eyes on Fire (1983), El Topo (1970) and Deadlock (1970) are probably the best movies I can think of that reflect that. Even Django in some small way falls into that category.

blarg_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3112 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Stand Up for the Boy in Green
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dirty old town, dirty old town
Posts: 3,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

^love Dead Man and El Topo is goat material, one of my asshole friends finally returned my Jodorowsky boxset recently after years so Ive been on a bit of a kick, theyre really movies youve gotta be in the mood for though (ie. high).
Ive still never seen Deadlock but CAN did the s/t so thats something im guaranteed to like about it.

blarg you ever seen Alex Cox's Straight To Hell?, its somewhat along the same lines and truly its utterly terrible, but on the other hand its utterly amazing, one of those. Bizarro fucked up spaghetti western/crime homage/parody with an all star cast (inc a young Courtney Love and the POGUES), theres a character in it played by Sy Richardson thats clearly the blueprint for Sam Jacksons character in Pulp Fiction, even looks just like him.
and off topic but I cant mention Alex Cox without saying REPOMAN is on of the greatest movies ever made.

Hollywood Hanoi is offline  
post #3113 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Ayatollah of Moral turpitude
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoi Cheyenne View Post
^love Dead Man and El Topo is goat material, one of my asshole friends finally returned my Jodorowsky boxset recently after years so Ive been on a bit of a kick, theyre really movies youve gotta be in the mood for though (ie. high).
Ive still never seen Deadlock but CAN did the s/t so thats something im guaranteed to like about it.

blarg you ever seen Alex Cox's Straight To Hell?, its somewhat along the same lines and truly its utterly terrible, but on the other hand its utterly amazing, one of those. Bizarro fucked up spaghetti western/crime homage/parody with an all star cast (inc a young Courtney Love and the POGUES), theres a character in it played by Sy Richardson thats clearly the blueprint for Sam Jacksons character in Pulp Fiction, even looks just like him.
and off topic but I cant mention Alex Cox without saying REPOMAN is on of the greatest movies ever made.

Dead Man is classic Peyote indeed. A fan of the genre or Johnny Depp should definitely give this one a viewing. Seems very à propos too since it ages like fine Wine and were seemingly entering another Western movie craze in America.

Seen pretty much all of Jodorowsky's movies. Yeah his stuff is hard to swallow, but his movies are so intricately layered in mythological symbolism and esoterica of Ancient schools of thought, so he's not making them odd just for the sake of it. Don't think anyone has ever picked up on all the arcane shit that goes into his movies, but they're beautifully put together nonetheless. Always wondered what Dune (starring Salvator Dali) would've been if Jodorowsky didn't back down and give the helm to David Lynch. Probably would've been even weirder




Haven't seen Straight to Hell, but i'll look into it. I'm intrigued by your description of it.


Last edited by blarg_; 02-20-2013 at 09:24 AM.
blarg_ is offline  
post #3114 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Stand Up for the Boy in Green
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dirty old town, dirty old town
Posts: 3,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

yeah I got into the Tarot through Jodorowsky, got a couple of fascinating books by him on psychomagic. His interviews are usually great too, he usually comes across as just a funny, dirty old man in the end, still havent seen any of his comics though.
Id probably put Holy Mountain just a bit above El Topo as my fave by him but theyre all great, apparently he's been trying to get a sequel to El Topo made for the last few years.

and yeah the cast alone to Straight To Hell should make any film or music fan want to see it.

edit - was just reading back over the Aronofsky talk in the last few pages, I like some better than others but I think you could make a solid case for any of his movies being his best, I dont think he's made a bad one yet


Last edited by Hollywood Hanoi; 02-20-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Hollywood Hanoi is offline  
post #3115 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Déesse de L'extase
 
Hayley Seydoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Electric Chapel.
Posts: 33,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Best one is obvious for me. I do tend to undersell my love for The Wrestler. Another great one. Haven't seen all of Requiem of a Dream yet. Always catch it half way on some movie channel (IFC I think?) and I'm never in the mood to finish with the start being a blur.

Nouvelle Vague.
Dance. Sex. Art. Pop.
Hayley Seydoux is offline  
post #3116 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Ayatollah of Moral turpitude
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoi Cheyenne View Post
yeah I got into the Tarot through Jodorowsky, got a couple of fascinating books by him on psychomagic. His interviews are usually great too, he usually comes across as just a funny, dirty old man in the end, still havent seen any of his comics though.
Id probably put Holy Mountain just a bit above El Topo as my fave by him but theyre all great, apparently he's been trying to get a sequel to El Topo made for the last few years.

and yeah the cast alone to Straight To Hell should make any film or music fan want to see it.

edit - was just reading back over the Aronofsky talk in the last few pages, I like some better than others but I think you could make a solid case for any of his movies being his best, I dont think he's made a bad one yet
Holy Mountain is his weirdest movie by far, holy shit that movie makes Eraserhead seem sane in comparison. but again, it's something Jodorowsky put an insane amount of thought into, I know it's one of his most respected films.

To me, Santa Sangre is my favorite. Saw that when I was really young, and the visuals haunted me. El Topo is also very good which is also said to be John Lennon and Marilyn Manson's favorite movie lol

I read an interview with him mentioning the psychomagic stuff, but didn't actually read any of it.

blarg_ is offline  
post #3117 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Little Poppa Pump
 
asdf0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

i came here to say that Dead Man is one of the movies that build my love for cinema. Aside from that, the movie introduce me to the work of Neil Young, and even more important, motherfucking William Blake




http://www.wrestlingforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic187936_15.gif

Only one is a wanderer, two together are always going somewhere.
asdf0501 is offline  
post #3118 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Starving for poutine
 
chargebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal, Canada
Posts: 5,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Just saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Very beautiful movie. Much better than I expected.


DAMN RIGHT

PUNK / BRYAN / AMBROSE / ZIGGLER / CESARO / ZAYN

PAIGE / AJ / BAYLEY / BLISS / BANKS / IVELISSE

chargebeam is offline  
post #3119 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Little Poppa Pump
 
asdf0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

So we got the first round of movies rumored for Cannes this year, wich include the new material from:

Scorsese
Godard
Serra
Jarmusch
Sofia Coppola
Claire Denis
Winding Refn
James Gray
The Coens
Del Toro
Tsai Ming-Liang
Johnnie To

Among others



http://www.wrestlingforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic187936_15.gif

Only one is a wanderer, two together are always going somewhere.
asdf0501 is offline  
post #3120 of 5657 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Déesse de L'extase
 
Hayley Seydoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Electric Chapel.
Posts: 33,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
                     
Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargebeam View Post
Just saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Very beautiful movie. Much better than I expected.
One of the best of 2012, imo.

Nouvelle Vague.
Dance. Sex. Art. Pop.
Hayley Seydoux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome