General Movie Discussion Part II (part III coming soon) - Page 208 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #2071 (permalink)
Ignore me. I'm on acid.
 
Stone Cold Steve Austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Park
Posts: 11,647
Stone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a pushStone Cold Steve Austin is getting a push
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Someone else mentioned Inland Empire and said it was awesome, I must try it out. Never even heard of it before last week.
Stone Cold Steve Austin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #2072 (permalink)
All in the reflexes
 
Bubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Mouth of Madness
Posts: 7,756
Bubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselvesBubz is making a name for themselves
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

I will say it's an acquired taste. It doesn't have a straight narrative and it's extremely experimental and strange (for lack of a better word). Don't know if you like that stuff or not, just warning before you watch it in-case you didn't know what type of film it was, I'd imagine Lynch fans would love it, but anyone else would really hate it.
Bubz is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2073 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
The Cynical Miracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: u.k
Posts: 2,998
The Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missed
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Fuck David Lynch.
__________________
The Cynical Miracle is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #2074 (permalink)
TAKIN' A MULLIGAN
 
Chismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM
Posts: 15,633
Chismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselvesChismo has made a name for themselves
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO! View Post
Since someone brought up Inland Empire, I thought I'd give my two cents... I think it's probably Lynch's worst movie (unless you count Dune as a David Lynch film). I think the film is very messy and way too long. It just needed better editing and I felt like Lynch didn't have much to say with it. If anything, it seemed blatant that the guy was merely experimenting. It also feels like a total rehash of his previous films which were much better, Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway.

Either way, here is my top 5 from his work:

Eraserhead
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Mulholland Drive
Wild At Heart
Blue Velvet

in no particular order. Lost Highway is his most terrifying film I think, and his darkest. I think the first half is brilliant, but I wasn't so crazy about the entire sequence where the main character's identity changed. I'm fine with the concept itself, I just thought it paled in comparison to the way the film started out.

His most underrated may very well be The Straight Story.
Inland Empire is great, IMO.

Speaking of Lynch, I re-watched Eraserhead yesterday. Such a freak of a movie. He hasn't rolled up that kind of bizarre fuckery up until Inland Empire. I've never felt so uncomfortable during a movie. So anxious, yet so mesmerizing. Themes like alienation and industrialization are told in such a gloomy and obscure way. Brrrr! Not to mention that fucked up permanent low-sound background. Creepy characters. And there was your obligatory LNYCH dream sequence song:




With all that being said, I can't really decide between Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive as the best Lynch movie. Both pieces are fantastic, and MD visually might be the most impressive movie of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf0501 View Post
Like a bonus, the theme Ghost of love in the movie is sing and composed by Lynch himself.

Yep, terrific piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cynical Miracle View Post
Fuck David Lynch.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbrian View Post
TV shows are the best entertainment programmes like wrestling. My favourite TV show is RAW and SMACK DOWN. I specially like fight of Rey mysterio and Randy Ortan. It was very amazing fight with lots of stunt.
Chismo is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #2075 (permalink)
Ayatollah of Moral turpitude
 
blarg_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: My giant Igloo with built-in Wi-Fi
Posts: 3,672
blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_ blarg_
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO! View Post
Since someone brought up Inland Empire, I thought I'd give my two cents... I think it's probably Lynch's worst movie (unless you count Dune as a David Lynch film). I think the film is very messy and way too long. It just needed better editing and I felt like Lynch didn't have much to say with it. If anything, it seemed blatant that the guy was merely experimenting. It also feels like a total rehash of his previous films which were much better, Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway.

Either way, here is my top 5 from his work:

Eraserhead
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Mulholland Drive
Wild At Heart
Blue Velvet

in no particular order. Lost Highway is his most terrifying film I think, and his darkest. I think the first half is brilliant, but I wasn't so crazy about the entire sequence where the main character's identity changed. I'm fine with the concept itself, I just thought it paled in comparison to the way the film started out.

His most underrated may very well be The Straight Story.
If you were to ask me, Wild at Heart is probably his worse movie, and it wasn't even that bad.

Inland Empire is easy to hate for it's disjointment, but like many Lynch movies it's more or less a "moving painting" subjective to the interpreter. When you watch a movie like that, you need to be in the right frame of mind and not have too many expextations in terms of the narrative. As an experimental piece, I think it's one of the best around.

My only gripes with the movie came at the beginning with the shaky camera (I hate that in movies) and while him going digital didn't bode well with some people I was fine with it. You can't overlook Laura Dern and her amazing performance, she's the core of this movie and couldn't have pulled it off any better. What I admire most about Inland Empire it's that Lynch dared challenge himself in ways he hasn't since Eraserhead, it was a bold move to do something like this after MulHolland's commercial success but it works.

I always thought Dune was great (especially the extended edition),it's just that most of the technobabble went over some people's heads if they're not familiar with the Frank Herbert novel. The movie did suffer from Lynch not having complete control though, that's what you get when you inherit Alejandro Jodorowsky's table scraps.
__________________

Last edited by blarg_ : 01-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.
blarg_ is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #2076 (permalink)
NO!
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
 
NO!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,076
NO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friendsNO! needs to make some friends
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cynical Miracle View Post
Fuck David Lynch.
I probably would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRulz View Post
Inland Empire is great, IMO.

Speaking of Lynch, I re-watched Eraserhead yesterday. Such a freak of a movie. He hasn't rolled up that kind of bizarre fuckery up until Inland Empire. I've never felt so uncomfortable during a movie. So anxious, yet so mesmerizing. Themes like alienation and industrialization are told in such a gloomy and obscure way. Brrrr! Not to mention that fucked up permanent low-sound background. Creepy characters. And there was your obligatory LNYCH dream sequence song:




With all that being said, I can't really decide between Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive as the best Lynch movie. Both pieces are fantastic, and MD visually might be the most impressive movie of all time.



Yep, terrific piece. [/IMG]
It was the movie that really changed my whole perception when it comes to cinema. I had no idea what to make of it (14 years old) and yet something about it captivated me. As I kept studying the film, I admired the honesty in Lynch and the way he constructs what he does. I wish more directors had such an original and honest approach. Along with that, I somewhat identify with the main character (played by Jack Nance) and how he seems to find himself constantly in turmoil and isolation. The music and atmosphere as always with David Lynch movies plays a big part in making the film enjoyable. He spent five years with a wife and child living on the set in a bad neighborhood in Philadelphia to get this movie completed. It's inspiring really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarg_ View Post
If you were to ask me, Wild at Heart is probably his worse movie, and it wasn't even that bad.

Inland Empire is easy to hate for it's disjointment, but like many Lynch movies it's more or less a "moving painting" subjective to the interpreter. When you watch a movie like that, you need to be in the right frame of mind and not have too many expextations in terms of the narrative. As an experimental piece, I think it's one of the best around.

My only gripes with the movie came at the beginning with the shaky camera (I hate that in movies) and while him going digital didn't bode well with some people I was fine with it. You can't overlook Laura Dern and her amazing performance, she's the core of this movie and couldn't have pulled it off any better. What I admire most about Inland Empire it's that Lynch dared challenge himself in ways he hasn't since Eraserhead, it was a bold move to do something like this after MulHolland's commercial success but it works.

I always thought Dune was great (especially the extended edition),it's just that most of the technobabble went over some people's heads if they're not familiar with the Frank Herbert novel. The movie did suffer from Lynch not having complete control though, that's what you get when you inherit Alejandro Jodorowsky's table scraps.
I understand where you're coming from. After all, I consider him to be my favorite artist in general. I believe there are many directors who were or still are more talented than him, but I still identify more with Lynch's style. More power to those who loved Inland Empire, but I just thought it consisted of unnecessary footage. There is also a scene towards the end with a song performed by Beck, which feels out of place and not in a good way. Laura Dern definitely deserves praise though and I think she's solid in everything she's in for the most part. Honestly, my favorite moments in IE were the rabbits sequences and the scene where Laura Dern is running in slow motion down a huge staircase, and all of a sudden she speeds up right into the camera with a terrifying look on her face and the music builds up along with her motion (one of the scariest moments I've ever witnessed in a movie to be honest). I remember the first time I saw it and it literally made me sit up a bit and I said "holy shit". I was watching it in a dark room so I suppose that only added to it.
NO! is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #2077 (permalink)
People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.
 
Muta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sunspear
Posts: 3,152
Muta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a pushMuta is getting a push
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailsabin View Post
JBL bring his SWAG to Sin City?
Yup, JGL is officially signed up to star in Sin City: A Dame To Kill For.

Quote:
Gordon-Levitt is set to play Johnny, who is being described as “a cocky gambler who disguises a darker mission to destroy his most foul enemy at his best game.” The character has apparently been created just for the film and despite not appearing in the comics, he’ll play an important role in the film’s overlapping plotlines. No other details were given but Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s involvement is enough to get us excited.
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/j...ity-dame-kill/

at the fact that they just created a role that's not in the comics to have JGL play.
__________________


Muta is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #2078 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
The Cynical Miracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: u.k
Posts: 2,998
The Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missed
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Lynch's cant make films. Can he make great standalone atmospheric and creepy scenes. Yes. But can he flesh out an actual narrative and make a movie without being completely self indulging, pretentious, boring, plodding pile of bullshit with a few gems here and there. Lol no. His movies are just a bunch of nonsense.

The dialogue that he writes is so stilted that it makes George Lucas's dialogue look like Martin Scorsese's.

If any director in this world is overrated. Its that goofy looking mother fucker IMO
__________________
The Cynical Miracle is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #2079 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
asdf0501's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,132
asdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missedasdf0501 probably won't be missed
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cynical Miracle View Post
Lynch's cant make films. Can he make great standalone atmospheric and creepy scenes. Yes. But can he flesh out an actual narrative and make a movie without being completely self indulging, pretentious, boring, plodding pile of bullshit with a few gems here and there. Lol no. His movies are just a bunch of nonsense.

The dialogue that he writes is so stilted that it makes George Lucas's dialogue look like Martin Scorsese's.

If any director in this world is overrated. Its that goofy looking mother fucker IMO

Yeah because movies need to be narrative, in the Film bible said so...
__________________

The rest is silence
http://www.wrestlingforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic187936_14.gif
asdf0501 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #2080 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
The Cynical Miracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: u.k
Posts: 2,998
The Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missedThe Cynical Miracle probably won't be missed
Default Re: General Movie Discussion Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf0501 View Post
Yeah because movies need to be narrative, in the Film bible said so...
Yes. Otherwise its just a bunch of moving images.
__________________
The Cynical Miracle is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios