The Book thread. - Page 99 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #981 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,776
Svart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friends
Default Re: The Book thread.

Finished a short story from Barbara Constant called the Sound of Silence. The story is about a woman with an abnormality that tries to live a normal life. Interesting concept.
Svart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #982 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
SludgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
Posts: 388
SludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: The Book thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the modern myth View Post
If you like crime and detective fiction, I would investigate Dashiell Hammett, who always blows my mind. A predecessor of Raymond Chandler, he was a real pioneer of the 'hard-boiled' style. Chandler raved about him, and rightly so. 'The Maltese Falcon' is his most famous, but I think that 'The Thin Man' is his strongest. It's a brilliantly written, beautifully structured novel. For a great, short read James M. Cain is unbeatable. 'Double Indemnity' and 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' are incredible. You'll read them in one sitting, easily.

Edgar Allen Poe's detective, Dupin, is also worth investigating. The Dupin character helped shape the entire genre of detective fiction. Poe's gothic style lends itself brilliantly to the moody atmosphere and mysterious world of crimesolving, and I've read (and re-read) these stories countless times.

I lately started reading an author named Harry Crews. I only discovered him by reading his obituary, but it gave the details of some of his novels and the ideas sounded so interesting that I ordered a bunch of books online. 'Car' and 'The Gypsy's Curse' are two novels that I would highly recommend. He has a Southern Gothic style (similar to Flannery O'Connor) but with the raw, punchy prose of Bukowski and Hemmingway.

If you like Sci-Fi, check out John Wyndham. I loved his stuff as a kid and grew up reading and re-reading 'Day of the Triffids'. Great stuff.
I must confess crime fiction doesn't do a lot for me, I tend to prefer films for that style. Did read a Raymond Chandler book a long time ago whilst on holiday which was entertaining but hasn't stayed with me at all (I can't even recall the title).

Poe is great though I tend to favour his more gothic, dare I say horrific output to his more terrestrial works. What I've read of Wyndham ('Day of the Triffids' and 'The Midwich Cuckoos') was absolutely fantastic. Any others of his his you'd recommend?

Speaking as a huge fan of O'Connor, Bukowski and Hemingway Harry Crews definitely sounds intriguing. Many thanks for the suggestion, I'll track down some his stuff.
SludgeHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #983 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,776
Svart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friends
Default Re: The Book thread.

I'm likely going out on a limb here but does anyone here have experience with Crowley? I have a copy of Magick Without Tears, which is pretty chatty and relatively unobtuse. I was wondering where to go from here, though. I want to prevent as much confusion as possible.
If anyone can offer some suggestions or an overview of different works of his, I'd appreciate it.
Svart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #984 (permalink)
GET MY BAGS
 
the modern myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 9,188
the modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a push
Default Re: The Book thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeHammer View Post
I must confess crime fiction doesn't do a lot for me, I tend to prefer films for that style. Did read a Raymond Chandler book a long time ago whilst on holiday which was entertaining but hasn't stayed with me at all (I can't even recall the title).

Poe is great though I tend to favour his more gothic, dare I say horrific output to his more terrestrial works. What I've read of Wyndham ('Day of the Triffids' and 'The Midwich Cuckoos') was absolutely fantastic. Any others of his his you'd recommend?

Speaking as a huge fan of O'Connor, Bukowski and Hemingway Harry Crews definitely sounds intriguing. Many thanks for the suggestion, I'll track down some his stuff.
Have you read 'Chocky', by Wyndham. Man, I loved that book when I was little. They made a TV series in the 1980s. You should check it out. Also, 'The Chrysalids' is pretty strong. You should read them both.

John Fante is a great writer, have I mentioned him? You can but the Bandini Quartet (four of his novels) for the price of one book. It's a great read, and you'll definitley see his influence on Bukowski.
__________________
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt9zbhgZAW1qmssh1o1_400.jpg
the modern myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #985 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Issues_Sunshyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,240
Issues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missed
Default Re: The Book thread.

Anybody read the new Terry Pratchett yet??
Issues_Sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #986 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 46
stonze is in rep purgatory
Default Re: The Book thread.

This is a book I wrote and published myself



Its a urban fiction title, and its actually from a movie script that I started working on 2 years ago. The book is complete and published, now I'm just trying to get it out for the world to read. Its currently available on Amazon for physical copies, and Barners & Noble for eBook versions, just to name 1 of the many digital stores that have my book

You can go to https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/153377 for the full book details
stonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #987 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Issues_Sunshyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,240
Issues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missed
Default Re: The Book thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonze View Post
This is a book I wrote and published myself



Its a urban fiction title, and its actually from a movie script that I started working on 2 years ago. The book is complete and published, now I'm just trying to get it out for the world to read. Its currently available on Amazon for physical copies, and Barners & Noble for eBook versions, just to name 1 of the many digital stores that have my book

You can go to https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/153377 for the full book details
Looks like a fair bit of work went into the promos alone. Anywhere I can get it in the UK man? I had a quick look and thought you could link me to it.

I have a Points2Show account which is in my sig, and so I have loads of points to buy stuff off Amazon so I will use them if you'd like? Few $s to you I wouldn't need, and I wouldn't mind reading it either.
Issues_Sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #988 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,776
Svart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friends
Default Re: The Book thread.

What do the geeks of WF think of H.P. Lovecraft?
Svart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #989 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
SludgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
Posts: 388
SludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsSludgeHammer should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: The Book thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svart View Post
What do the geeks of WF think of H.P. Lovecraft?
Read his complete works when I was a bit younger and fund the bulk of it to be genuinely creepy. Not sure if I've become jaded over the years or whether it just appealed more to the younger and slightly more impressionable me but when I revisited his stuff recently it wasn't quite as powerful as I recalled. Either way it's still very well written material and the consistency of his mythos across such a large body of work is unequalled in horror to my mind. Anyone with a even a passing interest in horrific literature should definitely familiarize themselves with him.

Some personal favourites:

At the Mountains of Madness*
The Haunter of the Dark
The Horror at Red Hook
The Shadow over Innsmouth
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

*gutted the Guillermo del Toro film adaptation of this one never materialized, it would make such a great movie.

Edit - Just added you on LastFM, username Humouresque

Last edited by SludgeHammer : 10-11-2012 at 11:21 AM.
SludgeHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #990 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,776
Svart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friendsSvart needs to make some friends
Default Re: The Book thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeHammer View Post
Read his complete works when I was a bit younger and fund the bulk of it to be genuinely creepy. Not sure if I've become jaded over the years or whether it just appealed more to the younger and slightly more impressionable me but when I revisited his stuff recently it wasn't quite as powerful as I recalled. Either way it's still very well written material and the consistency of his mythos across such a large body of work is unequalled in horror to my mind. Anyone with a even a passing interest in horrific literature should definitely familiarize themselves with him.

Some personal favourites:

At the Mountains of Madness*
The Haunter of the Dark
The Horror at Red Hook
The Shadow over Innsmouth
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

*gutted the Guillermo del Toro film adaptation of this one never materialized, it would make such a great movie.

Edit - Just added you on LastFM, username Humouresque
Hmm, it's different for me. Lovecraft gets better over time because his writing forces thought rather than tell you what to see. I particularly liked The Music of Erich Zann, though (admittedly) I haven't gone too far into his writing. I've heard good things about Horror at Red Hook, though. That one's next in my book. I'll have to check it out.

lol, I forgot I had my last.fm link in this sig. Those are some awesome bands you've got up on your profile. Added.
Svart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios