Re: Rate & Mini-Summarize the Last Movie You Saw
Movies From Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Battle in Seattle - *** (7/10)
- 2008 drama/thriller about the official "Battle in Seattle," and the peace riots (and not so peaceful riots) ensued by the WTO coming in to give a massive conference. It has Charlize Theron, Woody Harrelson, Channing Tatum, Michelle Rodriguez, and it is actually written, directed, and produced by Stuart Townsend of Queen of the Damned Fame. It is pretty moving, very nicely paced, a little jaded as far as the facts go and such but overall a solid movie with a decent message.
Boy A - *** (7/10)
- 2008 drama about a boy who ends up going to jail because of a crime his friend committed, and he comes out as a young adult, trying to get re-adjusted to his life under a different name, to ensure his safety so no one went after him. This got HUGE critical acclaim, and was beloved by everyone who had went to see it, and was on a number of "bests" lists, but i found it to be quite overrated. It is good yes, and the ultimate message and premise behind it is strong, but i found the execution extremely lacking. They focus far too much on his relationship with a woman, and they just don't provide enough in the build-up and it comes off as generally dull way too often. Still a decent watch though.
The Man From Elysian Fields - ** (5/10)
- 2002 drama starring Andy Garcia and Mick Jagger. A failing author is offered another position, to be a sort of "man whore" if you will, and ends up meeting a woman and it turns out her husband is a successful writer. He ends up helping with the story, but not without complications. This movie was generally very unrealistic and quite dull, which is too bad because not only did it have some decent moments, it had a pretty impressive twist. It just couldn't really carry itself all that well, and flat-lined around the halfway mark.
Unbreakable - ***1/2 (8/10)
- 2000 drama starring Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. This is about two men who have quite the opposite conditions, while one breaks bones easily at just about anything, and the other is never hurt, or sick, ever. This is a very different take on the whole "superhero" story, which is introduced right in the opening scene when it describes the comic book world and its consumers to the viewer. It is very serious, and very engaging. The ending isnt much of a payoff, but the story in general is quite epic. Really good acting from Jackson and Willis also help, along with some decent directing.
Without a Paddle: Nature's Calling - * (1/10)
- 2009 comedy starring shit actors and directed by a shit director. I was doing homework and just wanted some background noise, but i did end up watching most of this. Some guys just go out in the woods for some shit and end up in trouble, its honestly not worth describing. It was horrible though. Seriously.
Princess Aurora - ** (4/10)
- 2005 foreign drama/action. A woman who is grieving the death of her child goes on a murderous revenge spree. That sounds pretty exciting doesnt it? Well, its not. This one is pretty boring, doing a lot more talking than "murderous killing sprees" that were promised, and you see every step thats coming next before it happens, even the twist at the end which is blatantly obvious. It is a completely unimpressive drama that isnt worth the time to watch.
Deuces Wild - ** (4/10)
- 2002 action flick starring Stephen Dorff, Norman Reedus, Brad Renfro, James Franco, Frankie Muniz, and Matt Dillion. A battle between the Deuces and the Vipers gets deadly serious when the Vipers leader gets out of jail and back into the gang world. This movie is so totally 80's its not even funny. It is horribly cheesy, which is too bad because there are some moments with some decent style, and with an exciting young cast like that you'd expect a lot better because of the potential. Most of it is generic, and the editing behind the movie is lame, with way too many pointless and forced slow motion or chopped-up moments. I definitely saw a lot of good at least in the idea of this movie, and Dorff and Reedus are TOTAL badass as the respective gang leaders, but generic shit gets in the way way too much.
cool and smooth, that's how i play.
QUIZ OF THE YEAR FIELDING & BRAND (BUT MOSTLY FIELDING) SWAG