My sister got to see the movie in an advanced screening.
She is a HUGE Spider-Man fan. She loves Spidey more than anyone else on this board loves wrestling. I am dead serious. It is almost like a religion to her.
Her thoughts on the previous films were that she LOVED the 1st two Raimi films, was disappointed by the third, and absolutely despised the reboot.
She called me and basically spoiled the entire movie for me because I didn't really care. I wasn't going to go see it anyway.
Here is what she told me:
- For her, the worst part about the movie were the villains. She couldn't stand Harry (she said he over enunciated all of his lines to the point of being annoying), Electro's origin didn't do it for her, Chris Cooper was completely wasted as Norman, & she felt none of the villains got enough screen time to really get fleshed out. Her exact line to me was that if you've seen the trailers, you've basically seen most of the stuff with the bad guys. For whatever reason, she can't stand Paul Giomatti at all, so Rhino just bugged her on principle. She also said the dialogue was pretty terrible too.
- She couldn't stand the fact that Uncle Ben was pushed to the background and Peter seem more upset over Captain Stacey and his parents. I agree with her on that one because in the last one it felt like Uncle Ben had almost no impact on anything and that completely goes against Spider-Man's motivations. She also felt, and I agree, that it is pointless to include Peter's parents in his story if you can't use SHIELD.
- She said as Peter Parker, Garfield was annoying. In the last film, I thought he was kind of a douchebag, but she said that the problem here was that they made him a stereotypical New Yorker with a bad accent. Confirmation on this?
- She also said that the story was a bit of a mess, parts of it felt rushed, and it jumped all over the place. She also hated all the "Easter Eggs" that they crammed in there to hype up a sequel (and yes, she told me what they were).
- The only things about the movie she liked were Garfield as Spider-Man, some of the action, and the big emotional moment at the end which I won't spoil. She said when Garfield was in the suit, it was classic Spidey and she loved it.
To sum it up, she said as a movie, it was probably of lesser quality than the last one, but it pissed her off less, so six in one, half a dozen in the other.
Thoughts? How on point is she?
It sounds like shes more upset over the reboot and not being the Sam Raimi films more than anything.People thought the Raimi films are the be all end of all of Spiderman because those movies came first and its what they grew up with.Most people made up their mind, hell there are quite a few people who believe Marc Webb STOLE the story from Sam Raimi lol. Not saying shes wrong in her beliefs but having read Spiderman comics, the ASM gets Spiderman better than Raimi's trilogy did. This series could be a masterpiece through and through and people would still despise it because it isn't the Raimi movies. Having said that, I haven't seen the 2nd movie because I was disappointed with all the changes they made but even I can't lie in saying that the movie looks incredible.
-Rhino is meant to be a quick capture and quite frankly he's a brute and not the smartest of characters anyways. As for Chris Cooper, its possible he may suit up as the Green Goblin and yes the films are meant to create a Sinister Six movie
-Peter wouldn't be the hero he is without Uncle Ben's death, thats been established. Of course he'd want to know what happened to his parents after they died and I believe tries to figure out the mysterious events leading up to their death, why wouldn't he be determined to find out what happened to his parents who were taken from him at such a young age? Captain Stacy died essentially because of him so of course he'd be pretty upset.
-A lot of people agree that Garfield portrays Peter better than Toby did. Peter is from Queens, so of course he would be a New Yorker and have the accent, its where he's from. People aren't used to it because its never been done before outside of the comics. Peter isn't a "douchebag", he's cocky and tries to get under his opponents skin to annoy them and win the fight. Thats always been who Spiderman is.
More people are pissed because it isn't who they think Spiderman is, or that it isn't the Raimi movies so they dismiss it unfortunately