Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES! - Page 10 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #91 (permalink)
Convinced Vince to make me a Main-Eventer
 
virus21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,503
virus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselover Fat View Post
xmens doing really well but only under the condition that bendis/quesada/jemas ruined the way comic books were written over a decade ago and its good for a comic book in the post bendis world is is it really that good????????????????????/
How did they do that exactly?
__________________
http://p.twimg.com/AcPrrHQCAAE7uig.jpg


Bring back the true Huntress, DC
virus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #92 (permalink)
The User Without Fear
 
Azuran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,810
Azuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
X-Men is actually doing really well right now. He's not writing the best titles tho.
What would you consider the best ones? I read the first story arc of All-New X-Men and dropped it because of lack of money. I been seriously meaning on catching up but there's so many X-Men books is kinda confusing.
__________________
Last.fm
Azuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #93 (permalink)
SNOWBLIND
 
GOD of CUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the Rocks with a Bitch and a Bottle
Posts: 6,335
GOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inducteeGOD of CUNT is a HOF inductee
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

I actually started checking out a bunch of the Marvel NOW! (or w/e) titles (and a few that started before it that have continued into that "era"), although I haven't started All New X-Men yet because I want to try and catch up with the Uncanny run and the Avengers v X-Men story (even though I figure it'll blow) first, if for no reason other than picking up some backstory. I know I'd be better off just reading a synopsis and picking up the bullet points, but I'm stupid that way.

Wolverine & The X-Men is a really fun book and pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It's been fairly light-hearted so far (6 issues in), which I dig. The Uncanny stuff before it got really dull and I never really liked Utopia much to begin with. I liked the sound of this, though -- them being back at the school, seeing how they get things off the ground, the book being sort of a throwback to Whedon's Astonishing run (if you can even call something that's happening less than ten years later a throwback) with the vets being teachers, etc. It all seems pretty whimsical compared to the dreariness of Fraction's run leading up to Schism. I can imagine Wolverine and Quentin Quire going to a casino in outer space and counting cards mutant Rain Man style in Fraction's Uncanny and it being a total downer, while I thought it was the opposite in this. Does anybody else like Quentin Quire, btw? Honestly, he's just about my favourite character in the book and he's a total dickweed little shithead. Only problem I have with the book is that there's a bunch of AvX tie-ins coming up and I don't really care about them.

Hawkeye is fucking great. Fraction is everything in this that he wasn't in the Uncanny X-Men stuff. Love the interactions between Clint and Kate (Clint is a total goofball at points and I love it), and there are a few genuinely funny parts. The issue where Clint is basically told to vacate his apartment block or he's dead has this great bit at the start with Hawkeye, Wolverine and Spider-Man where they're talking about Dog Cops and Clint doesn't want to hear any spoilers. I'm a fan of the "aww, coffee/tape/arrow, no" bits as well. I now also know what Seph's sig is about (that's the last issue I read). Aja's art is pretty strange, but it's perfect for this. Kind of reminds me - why, I'm not sure - of the old cartoons they'd show on Cartoon Network when I was a kid, you know, before cartoons got super shitty and terrible and shit. I take comfort in that nostalgia.

Thor: God of Thunder is pretty boss. Art is awesome and it's full of "Thou shall not fuck with this thunderous erection" dialogue. I've only read the first five issues so far, but I get the sense Aaron and Ribic went for "epic", and I thought they definitely pulled it off.

I'd like Thunderbolts more if the art on it wasn't so goofy. I mean, I know I actively just praised the art on Hawkeye because it reminds me of cartoons, but this feels kind of cartoony as well (a different kind, mind you. And not as good a kind), and it doesn't really fit. I know there's going to be comedy stuff in a book with Deadpool in it, and I enjoy that, but I thought Remender did that way better with Uncanny X-Force. That was really good "dark comedy", and the art didn't make that LOOK like a comedy title. I mean, that isn't totally the case with the art on this either, but I guess I'd say the art on this would be better suited to a solo Deadpool title as opposed to a title based around psychos and murderers that happens to have Deadpool in it. IDK, I suppose I'd be fairly happy if Opena was drawing this. But he's not.

Cable & X-Force seems like a kind of silly concept, but the first arc was alright. IDK how Cable is alive again but w/e. The interactions between Nemesis and Forge are probably the best parts. I quite enjoy Nemesis in general, actually. Also like the idea of Colossus being sort of roped into this and being the lone voice of reason/morality in amongst the scoundrels and nutcases. His interactions with Domino could be pretty fun in a "gun-toting cheerleader with behaviour issues drags quiet foreign exchange student down sordid path" sort of way. There's a decent movie/TV analogy to be made there. Fuck if I can think of one.

How has Waid's run on Daredevil been? I'll assume good? How does it compare to Bendis' run?

Most of what I've read about Slott's Superior Spider-Man has been really positive. I have no idea how they got to the point of Doctor Octopus being in Peter Parker's body or whatever the fuck, though, so I'mma catch up by reading his run on Amazing leading up to it (or most of it, anyway. Or some of it). Picked up the Ultimate Big Time Collection which starts at #648, and I'll probably just catch up from there.
GOD of CUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #94 (permalink)
¡Ole! ¡Ole! ¡Ole!
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,081
Sephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by Seabs
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuran View Post
What would you consider the best ones? I read the first story arc of All-New X-Men and dropped it because of lack of money. I been seriously meaning on catching up but there's so many X-Men books is kinda confusing.
X-Men Legacy by Simon Spurrier, X-Men by Brian Wood, and X-Factor by PAD (which just ended, but relaunched as All New X-Factor by PAD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD of CUNT View Post
I actually started checking out a bunch of the Marvel NOW! (or w/e) titles (and a few that started before it that have continued into that "era"), although I haven't started All New X-Men yet because I want to try and catch up with the Uncanny run and the Avengers v X-Men story (even though I figure it'll blow) first, if for no reason other than picking up some backstory. I know I'd be better off just reading a synopsis and picking up the bullet points, but I'm stupid that way.

Wolverine & The X-Men is a really fun book and pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It's been fairly light-hearted so far (6 issues in), which I dig. The Uncanny stuff before it got really dull and I never really liked Utopia much to begin with. I liked the sound of this, though -- them being back at the school, seeing how they get things off the ground, the book being sort of a throwback to Whedon's Astonishing run (if you can even call something that's happening less than ten years later a throwback) with the vets being teachers, etc. It all seems pretty whimsical compared to the dreariness of Fraction's run leading up to Schism. I can imagine Wolverine and Quentin Quire going to a casino in outer space and counting cards mutant Rain Man style in Fraction's Uncanny and it being a total downer, while I thought it was the opposite in this. Does anybody else like Quentin Quire, btw? Honestly, he's just about my favourite character in the book and he's a total dickweed little shithead. Only problem I have with the book is that there's a bunch of AvX tie-ins coming up and I don't really care about them.

Hawkeye is fucking great. Fraction is everything in this that he wasn't in the Uncanny X-Men stuff. Love the interactions between Clint and Kate (Clint is a total goofball at points and I love it), and there are a few genuinely funny parts. The issue where Clint is basically told to vacate his apartment block or he's dead has this great bit at the start with Hawkeye, Wolverine and Spider-Man where they're talking about Dog Cops and Clint doesn't want to hear any spoilers. I'm a fan of the "aww, coffee/tape/arrow, no" bits as well. I now also know what Seph's sig is about (that's the last issue I read). Aja's art is pretty strange, but it's perfect for this. Kind of reminds me - why, I'm not sure - of the old cartoons they'd show on Cartoon Network when I was a kid, you know, before cartoons got super shitty and terrible and shit. I take comfort in that nostalgia.

Thor: God of Thunder is pretty boss. Art is awesome and it's full of "Thou shall not fuck with this thunderous erection" dialogue. I've only read the first five issues so far, but I get the sense Aaron and Ribic went for "epic", and I thought they definitely pulled it off.

I'd like Thunderbolts more if the art on it wasn't so goofy. I mean, I know I actively just praised the art on Hawkeye because it reminds me of cartoons, but this feels kind of cartoony as well (a different kind, mind you. And not as good a kind), and it doesn't really fit. I know there's going to be comedy stuff in a book with Deadpool in it, and I enjoy that, but I thought Remender did that way better with Uncanny X-Force. That was really good "dark comedy", and the art didn't make that LOOK like a comedy title. I mean, that isn't totally the case with the art on this either, but I guess I'd say the art on this would be better suited to a solo Deadpool title as opposed to a title based around psychos and murderers that happens to have Deadpool in it. IDK, I suppose I'd be fairly happy if Opena was drawing this. But he's not.

Cable & X-Force seems like a kind of silly concept, but the first arc was alright. IDK how Cable is alive again but w/e. The interactions between Nemesis and Forge are probably the best parts. I quite enjoy Nemesis in general, actually. Also like the idea of Colossus being sort of roped into this and being the lone voice of reason/morality in amongst the scoundrels and nutcases. His interactions with Domino could be pretty fun in a "gun-toting cheerleader with behaviour issues drags quiet foreign exchange student down sordid path" sort of way. There's a decent movie/TV analogy to be made there. Fuck if I can think of one.

How has Waid's run on Daredevil been? I'll assume good? How does it compare to Bendis' run?

Most of what I've read about Slott's Superior Spider-Man has been really positive. I have no idea how they got to the point of Doctor Octopus being in Peter Parker's body or whatever the fuck, though, so I'mma catch up by reading his run on Amazing leading up to it (or most of it, anyway. Or some of it). Picked up the Ultimate Big Time Collection which starts at #648, and I'll probably just catch up from there.
Wat. Hawkeye is good? Nobody here knew!
__________________
Sephiroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #95 (permalink)
The User Without Fear
 
Azuran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,810
Azuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new hereAzuran better hope they're relatively new here
Cool Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD of CUNT View Post
Thor: God of Thunder is pretty boss. Art is awesome and it's full of "Thou shall not fuck with this thunderous erection" dialogue. I've only read the first five issues so far, but I get the sense Aaron and Ribic went for "epic", and I thought they definitely pulled it off.
My favorite comic book in the past year. They perfectly nailed what makes Thor such an awesome character. It goes to show that no one can be as badass as him when he's written right.

Quote:
How has Waid's run on Daredevil been? I'll assume good? How does it compare to Bendis' run?
It's been amazing. I'll probably put in the same rank, if not, above Bendi's run. The book is consistently good no matter what. I seriously can't recall a single bad issue. As a huge Daredevil fan, making him fun again was the best thing they could have done. There's only so many ways you can try to make someone's life a constant living hell without getting boring.

Quote:
Most of what I've read about Slott's Superior Spider-Man has been really positive. I have no idea how they got to the point of Doctor Octopus being in Peter Parker's body or whatever the fuck, though, so I'mma catch up by reading his run on Amazing leading up to it (or most of it, anyway. Or some of it). Picked up the Ultimate Big Time Collection which starts at #648, and I'll probably just catch up from there.
You don't actually need to read that much if you want to head straight into Superior. ASM #698-700 should be enough to get you all caught up. Either way, Slott's Spidey run has been good, so you'll probably won't be dissapointed. Also, Spider-Island was an entertaining event so you have that to look forward to. It also leads directly into Scarlet Spider, which was one of the best comic books in the past couple of years you SHOULD probably read. Too bad no one was buying it so it got cancelled
__________________
Last.fm

Last edited by Azuran : 01-30-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Azuran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #96 (permalink)
women sense my power and they seek the life essence
 
Horselover Fat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Beach is the spot where I serve my cane
Posts: 11,657
Horselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whore
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus21 View Post
How did they do that exactly?
decompression and changing the way comic book dialogue was written
__________________
Horselover Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #97 (permalink)
Convinced Vince to make me a Main-Eventer
 
virus21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,503
virus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselover Fat View Post
decompression and changing the way comic book dialogue was written
How did they change it exactly?
__________________
http://p.twimg.com/AcPrrHQCAAE7uig.jpg


Bring back the true Huntress, DC
virus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #98 (permalink)
women sense my power and they seek the life essence
 
Horselover Fat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Beach is the spot where I serve my cane
Posts: 11,657
Horselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whoreHorselover Fat is a rep whore
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus21 View Post
How did they change it exactly?
Bill Jemas decreed that every storyline Marvel produced had to be exactly six issues long and Bendis (who was writing the flagship book Ultimate Spider-Man) pioneered his long drawn out dialogue heavy style that he's known for in order to drag every storyline out six issues. They've definitely softened on the 6 issues for every story rule, but the decompression and writing style is still there.

I don't think they invented decompression, but they made it popular in mainstream monthly superhero titles. If you go back and read Marvel comic books from 1999 and then read them from 2002, there is a dramatic difference. DC eventually started doing it too.

Also of note: Jemas thought that comic book covers should just be an action shot instead of a preview of what is going on inside the comic which is why most of the early Ultimate Spider-Man covers are just random pictures of Spider-Man swinging around and you can't actually tell what's going on inside from looking at the cover. Thank god that is over.
__________________
Horselover Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #99 (permalink)
Convinced Vince to make me a Main-Eventer
 
virus21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,503
virus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselvesvirus21 is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselover Fat View Post
Bill Jemas decreed that every storyline Marvel produced had to be exactly six issues long and Bendis (who was writing the flagship book Ultimate Spider-Man) pioneered his long drawn out dialogue heavy style that he's known for in order to drag every storyline out six issues. They've definitely softened on the 6 issues for every story rule, but the decompression and writing style is still there.

I don't think they invented decompression, but they made it popular in mainstream monthly superhero titles. If you go back and read Marvel comic books from 1999 and then read them from 2002, there is a dramatic difference. DC eventually started doing it too.

Also of note: Jemas thought that comic book covers should just be an action shot instead of a preview of what is going on inside the comic which is why most of the early Ultimate Spider-Man covers are just random pictures of Spider-Man swinging around and you can't actually tell what's going on inside from looking at the cover. Thank god that is over.
I see. It does seem that way. What happened to Jemas anyway?
__________________
http://p.twimg.com/AcPrrHQCAAE7uig.jpg


Bring back the true Huntress, DC
virus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #100 (permalink)
¡Ole! ¡Ole! ¡Ole!
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,081
Sephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by SeabsSephiroth is probably liked by Seabs
Default Re: Comics and Graphic Novels Vol. 3: This issue...EVERYBODY DIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus21 View Post
How did they change it exactly?
They changed it? How exactly?
__________________
Sephiroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios