What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)? - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: India- Land of the Tiger
Posts: 1,528
Boots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a push
Default What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

Some say Paul Heyman had no business sense.Some say WWE killed them as they did not want any competition.But what was the main reason(s) which forced ECW to end?
__________________
THE ROCK: The biggest star and draw of pro-wrestling industry EVER.

1.Holds the record of drawing most major shows with 10,000+ attendance on top in one calendar year.[Broke Hogan's(1986) and Austin's(1998) record in 1999 and set a record of headlining over 100 shows with 10,000 plus people in attendance in year 2000.A box-office drawing record that is unsurpassed till date.]

2.Holds the record of main-eventing almost 17 PPVs that have got over 500k buys(again,a feat of inimitable drawing power that is unmatched by anyone in pro-wrestling history)

3.Drew the highest cable ratings during the AE.

4.Sold more merchandise than anyone active between mid 1999-2001.
Boots2Asses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,542
RoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friends
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

I don't think wwe killed them. Nobody does.

they were spending more money than they were making. Simple as that. Paul wasn't a great business man, he needed to get smaller, stop using expensive talent and do less shows. But he didn't so ECW went under.

Maybe it was a pride thing, but you gotta check that stuff at the door. Sometimes you say, business isn't as good as it was, let's go back until we can go forward.

Paul says if they got a new tv deal they would have been fine. I'm gonna take his word for it. But as a business man, you can't assume anything but the worst. Pro wrestling is not a business with a great deal of overhead, you don't even need an office. He should have been able to run that promotion under the assumption that no TV deal was in the works.

Great booker, but not the best business man. To his credit though, he was very over worked. He did almost everything including editing.
__________________
Join the "Other" Wrestling TV & Internet Show Thread!


We complain about crappy wrestling and try to set you up with new wrestling promotions you've never heard of before!

We're like Cupids! But instead of fixing you up with hot chicks, it's big sweaty dudes in tights!


  • Full episodes!
  • 100% Free & Legal!
  • Alter the Power Rankings with your top three recommendations!
RoosterSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
The One Who Knocks
 
Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 5,343
Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic Cynic
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

Paul Heyman was a creative genius who also happened to be an extraordinarily incompetent and irresponsible businessman. Sure, they were bound to lose talent to WWF and WCW regardless, but ECW had no excuse to die. Heyman just ran them into the ground, pure and simple. Paul E. is far better served to be a booker with no financial responsibilities. When he gets to do that he really shines (see: SmackDown in 2003).
__________________
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: India- Land of the Tiger
Posts: 1,528
Boots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a pushBoots2Asses is getting a push
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterSmith View Post
I don't think wwe killed them. Nobody does.

they were spending more money than they were making. Simple as that. Paul wasn't a great business man, he needed to get smaller, stop using expensive talent and do less shows. But he didn't so ECW went under.

Maybe it was a pride thing, but you gotta check that stuff at the door. Sometimes you say, business isn't as good as it was, let's go back until we can go forward.

Paul says if they got a new tv deal they would have been fine. I'm gonna take his word for it. But as a business man, you can't assume anything but the worst. Pro wrestling is not a business with a great deal of overhead, you don't even need an office. He should have been able to run that promotion under the assumption that no TV deal was in the works.

Great booker, but not the best business man. To his credit though, he was very over worked. He did almost everything including editing.
Great post!

So as per you it was Paul Heyman's business sense or rather the lack of it that caused demise of ECdub!


That tells you that even if you're an intelligent person,that doesn't really makes you a good business man.
__________________
THE ROCK: The biggest star and draw of pro-wrestling industry EVER.

1.Holds the record of drawing most major shows with 10,000+ attendance on top in one calendar year.[Broke Hogan's(1986) and Austin's(1998) record in 1999 and set a record of headlining over 100 shows with 10,000 plus people in attendance in year 2000.A box-office drawing record that is unsurpassed till date.]

2.Holds the record of main-eventing almost 17 PPVs that have got over 500k buys(again,a feat of inimitable drawing power that is unmatched by anyone in pro-wrestling history)

3.Drew the highest cable ratings during the AE.

4.Sold more merchandise than anyone active between mid 1999-2001.
Boots2Asses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Waiting for Shinskay vs Okada at the Dome!
Posts: 3,071
bigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new herebigbuxxx better hope they're relatively new here
Thumbs up Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterSmith View Post
Great booker, but not the best business man. To his credit though, he was very over worked. He did almost everything including editing.
Yes. This man deserves all the respect in the world. It's nice to see him still in the wrestling business after all these years. Kudos to him and following his dream.
bigbuxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,542
RoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friendsRoosterSmith needs to make some friends
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots2Asses View Post
Great post!

So as per you it was Paul Heyman's business sense or rather the lack of it that caused demise of ECdub!


That tells you that even if you're an intelligent person,that doesn't really makes you a good business man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuxxx View Post
Yes. This man deserves all the respect in the world. It's nice to see him still in the wrestling business after all these years. Kudos to him and following his dream.
Exactly guys.

And I can't stress enough how hard he worked. Problem was, delegating responsibility is necessary.
__________________
Join the "Other" Wrestling TV & Internet Show Thread!


We complain about crappy wrestling and try to set you up with new wrestling promotions you've never heard of before!

We're like Cupids! But instead of fixing you up with hot chicks, it's big sweaty dudes in tights!


  • Full episodes!
  • 100% Free & Legal!
  • Alter the Power Rankings with your top three recommendations!
RoosterSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Mattyb2266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 916
Mattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friendsMattyb2266 needs to make some friends
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

I gotta believe its finances.

During the height of ECW he was seriously overpaying his top talent. I remember Sandman and Douglas? Saying in '95 they both made over 100,000.

I also heard that Paul had to pay to be on syndicated television when he ran hardcore tv in the PA area, and that he was losing money there.

As someone already mentioned, it has also been said had he really gone to California to work out a TV deal the product would be alive today, but again I've heard he lied about what he was doing in CA and didn't actually try to set up for a TV deal.

If it was finances, I don't think I could really blame Paul as it seemed he always tried to do the right thing, it just ended up biting him in the ass.
Mattyb2266 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
CGS
Winning World titles, Custom Made Clothes
 
CGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LDN Town
Posts: 15,265
CGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whoreCGS is a rep whore
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Paul Heyman was a creative genius who also happened to be an extraordinarily incompetent and irresponsible businessman. Sure, they were bound to lose talent to WWF and WCW regardless, but ECW had no excuse to die. Heyman just ran them into the ground, pure and simple. Paul E. is far better served to be a booker with no financial responsibilities. When he gets to do that he really shines (see: SmackDown in 2003).
Essentially this. The guy has probably one of the best wrestling minds in the industry but he is a pretty bad businessman and essentially ran the company into the ground. He was able to make legendary stars out of guys like Sabu and the Dudleys. Guys who honestly probably wouldn't have made it so far in other organisations at the time. But he just try to expand way to fast and well beyond his means and eventually it came to bite him on the ass.
__________________


CGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
ByTor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,189
ByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friendsByTor needs to make some friends
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

Most people say it's because of Heyman's poor business sense, and it probably is, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that maybe, just maybe, Paul simply got tired of all the work involved with running ECW. Maybe he was burned out and he knew he'd have a relatively cushy job in WWE so he just folded the whole thing up and went to work for Vince?
ByTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,832
austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T austin316 G.O.A.T
Default Re: What was the main reason for the death of Extreme Championship Wrestling(ECW)?

-The television audience for wrestling has always been 90% casuals and 10% smarks

-Paul Heyman appealed way too much to the smarks.He never knew how to capture the attention of the general audience like Vince

-Paul Heyman is someone who should be incharge of talent relations.Not someone who should run a company

Last edited by austin316 G.O.A.T : 06-29-2013 at 02:29 AM.
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios