WCW Nitro January 13th 1997
Just some thoughts:
* Loved the opening with the Giant and the NWO backstage in the locker room. Had a very catching it as it happens in the moment type feel that was cutting edge at the time and I really enjoyed. Made it feel a lot realer.
* Opening match with Chavo and JL was a fun little spotfest opener. I enjoyed it for the time it got. Looking at Chavo then comparing to now just shows you how bad Chavo has gotten over the years.
* The Duggan interview calling out Sting and then Sting taking him out afterwards I thought was a really nice little segment on the show which gives us more questions about Sting's motivations. Larry's cries of the NWO getting to Sting and Sting being a coward I thought was really annoying but added to the feeling they were trying to show. I also found it refreshing Tony saying that WCW officials were trying to scramble together a new match to take its place which was a nice little touch and made it feel more in the moment. Though with WCW it might be literally scrambling.
* Jericho's match was a glorified squash, nothing more to say.
* Harlem Heat's match was alright I suppose, it really was just a nothing match to build them some more and showcase their talent.
* DDP's match was a squash but what happened after it is a moment that I remembered before it happened and still remember to this day. This to me was one of the iconic moments that happened in the NWO angle which signaled the first person to snub the NWO outright. This was superbly done and got a HUGE reaction from the crowd who popped big for DDP. This really elevated DDP into a player on the main event angle. This was a great moment.
* Malenko vs Guerrero was typical greatness from both of these men. Great TV match, really enjoyed this thing. The finish played really well into the Eddie/Syxx feud which the build has been simple yet effective. Really enjoyed this thing, great stuff.
* Konnan vs Super Calo was another nothing match, filler.
* Benoit vs Jarrett was a nothing match in terms of wrestling quality but did a lot angle wise and added a lot to the Horseman angle. Mongo hitting Benoit costing him the match and then promo segment after was really good. The dissension and heat between Mongo and Benoit was really good and Arn being conflicted playing peacemaker and not wanting to get involved in their personal issues. The women here only add to the tension here and Debra at this time plays a really good annoying little bratty bitch. The only heel on the program I'm genuinely pissed off at on the last two shows because of how fake she comes across and how condescending she sounds. Credit to her for being able to do that. Even with it being stated Flair wasn't there tonight because he was so upset about the whole thing was a really nice touch. Been really enjoying this Horseman angle the last couple of weeks.
* Next two matches were complete filler to make Riggs and Luger look good. Luger is terrible and has always been terrible to me but he is definitely really over here, no question about it.
* Giant delivers a pretty decent promo against Hogan in the ring, a lot of shouting however. You can tell that the Giant is still a little green here but he does a pretty good job overall.
* Rick Steiner vs Arn much like a lot of matches was really short but Arn did an excellent job selling and showing how unfocused he was. Calling out for the Horseman and worrying about them fighting backstage. Commentators also did well selling it and also giving the information that the Horseman were locked in their locker room arguing amongst each other. Did a good job showing where Arn's mindset was and plays into the storyline more.
* Scott Steiner rambling with long hair and no beard
. Just sounds so hilarious he has the exact same voice but with his 1993 long haired look
. Just hilarious.
* Giant vs Hogan essentially ended up being the same as last week with NWO and the Giant brawling which was disappointing. For a fan at that point it was probably exciting but seeing a similar ending with the Giant again was pretty disappointing for me. The announcers did a great job building up to the whole thing and then it ended up not really living up to standards.
Overall this was a pretty good Nitro, it had some great spots like more questions about Sting, DDP's snubbing of NWO, Malenko/Guerrero and the Horseman stuff. But it also had a lot of filler and the NWO stuff with the Giant at the end was disappointing.
Time to catch up on Raw.