Yokozuna was great - Page 7 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #61 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Yosihait is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issues_Sunshyne View Post
I can't help but bite at that one thing over and over, I respect you are saying that as you weren't there at the time you can have a completely untethered opinion of the character of Yokozuna, which is fine and as an opinion I can't say I have a problem with it as it is just that: Your opinion.

However, given the fact I initially gave my opinion and you jumped all over and have consistently done so throughout the thread, I feel like I need to now stamp all over yours and tell you how you are wrong.

It is of your opinion that the 500lb Anti-American is a bad idea 20 years after the fact, which as incredible as it sounds I'm sure many would agree, but let's imagine we're Vince McMahon and his staff back in 1993/4... The big man mentality isn't watered down yet even after the steroid scandal, and Vince will continue to take a liking to the guys with "freak" bodies at the time, and he has been quoted as saying how he looked at Diesel who was clean for steroids at the time and drooled all over him and wanted him with the belt for the reason he was so huge, which I have to think is the same reason they went with Yokozuna. They had this massively large man who was willing and able to play a huge heel character that scared the children at a time when WWF was catered, perhaps even more so than today, towards children with their cartoonish outlook and outlandish character. Yokozuna fit perfectly in that mould and at that time. 2 decades later, perhaps not, perhaps it's the same as Mabel being King of The Ring or Great Khali being champion but AT THAT TIME they put all of their eggs in the one basket and ran with it and I completely agree with why they did and understand why it was a good idea.

You talk about us as kids being invested in it at that time and being emotionally attached, how is that wrong? How is that a bad thing? If anything, in saying that, you are completely enforcing the idea that Yokozuna was over and credible as a champion as he connected with all of us as fans. How is that wrong?

Comparing him to other champions is again another point that needs to be put into context. He isn't The Rock, nor Hulk Hogan, but at that time they had so few choices that he seemed like a completely viable candidate. If you take out the guys such as HBK/Scott Hall/Curt Hennig and put them in the main event, then where does that leave WWF on a whole at the time? They have a decent world champion yet have the rest of the card filled with crap?

If anything, you have honestly completely shown your lack of knowledge in this thread with a handful of remakrs we've all let slide, such as "Yoko was only over with Small crowds." Again, how is that a bad thing? WWF almost went into hiding at this time and went smaller, and reverted back to almost the territorial way of thinking. They were too afraid to push in a new untested direction which they were forced to do many years later, and couldn't go back to what they once where as they just didn't have the star power, so they did the best with what they had and one of those things was creating the Yokozuna character and pushing him to the title. It may be a bleak period sandwiched between the two most successful eras in wrestling, but that doesn't make it bad nor it's champions unworthy.

If you look at drawing power as a reason why a wrestler isn't great then I think you need to take a step back and find something else to enjoy. It's the same as ratings today, why react and judge something because of the views of other people? Are you a sheep?

Now, in terms of his wrestling ability, he isn't Bret Hart or Kurt Angle but as a big guy who was there to be a big guy, do strong man moves, look menacing and terrifying for the target audience then he did that very well, and he was also able to sell and wasn't afraid to look weak in certain feuds. This isn't real. He was a credible champion as he was written that way, and a brooding silent destructful monster he was perfect. Should he have been champion? At the time, and given the circumstance, ABSOLUTELY. He was foil and catalyst to a lot of feuds, and in doing so added a 500lb notch onto the belt of Bret Harts championship belt.

Someone asked earlier why he was an awesome heel, and I think it was because he connected with the fans he was supposed to connect to in a heelish manner. Maybe because I was only a kid at the time to I look super fondly at the era, but I am capable of knowing what is shit and what isn't now and I still look at Yoko as champion as a good idea well executed to contradict the idea of how shitty it was the put the KOTR on Mabel or to push King Kong Bundy at that time, 10 years at least after his peak.

I've gave my two pence worth, and I know you're going to reply and give me yours, but the truth is it's a matter of opinions and you have followed this thread for weeks giving yours and neglecting everyone else, something that as an honest wrestling fan who takes his time to enjoy the product knows you have to keep an open mind about.

That's me done now. Cheers.
The thing is that you're just wrong. I'm sorry, but that's it.

That excuse of "He was fit in with the times" is wrong. Because those "Times" are bad. Those "times" are nothing.

The problem with Yoko is that he was over with YOU. But not with other people. It's like saying Nash helped the business in his run.

They had Savage, Razor, Dibiase, Perfect, Luger and Bret. How is Yoko fitting there? And why should he be there if after he's losing the spot he is nothing?

About Buyrates: I can still be a fan and talk about and look at things from a wider perspective. Especially if I see positives for it. I can still look at it if it backs my opinions and can wonder "Hmmm... Why was it Successful/Not successful?".

About Yoko being a great heel because he "Connected with fans he should've connected with"- So I guess that if I'll open a business aiming for little ginger kids that will lose money you'll like it. Oh well...

Yoko was... Bad. By any means. Why? Why trying to deny it?
Yosihait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #62 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
Sids_chickenleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,373
Sids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friendsSids_chickenleg needs to make some friends
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post

He was "Undefeated" because he defeated Jobbers. Then he lost to the whole world only by DQes and count outs and therefore never lost his title. Bret could've beaten ANYBODY at that Wrestlelmania looking good. After Wrestlemania, no one cared about Yoko.

Bret's victory over Yoko is so minor in his career.
Wait what? Yokozuna won the Rumble BEFORE Wrestlemania 9. Wouldn't necessarily call guys like Savage "jobbers". But if you're also using that logic Goldberg was nothing because he beat "jobbers" before he became champ.

In that time WWF was in a transitional period. EVERYONE had an 80's gimmick still.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying the "real standards" or whatever you called it. To watch it happen live is a very different beast than watching it 20 years later when you have 20 other years to compare it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post
The thing is that you're just wrong. I'm sorry, but that's it.
Your inability to have a mature conversation by saying these types of things doesn't make your argument any better. It'd be great to debate about if we think Yokozuna was great or not, but I certainly don't when people say this. It's just not fun after that.

Last edited by Sids_chickenleg : 03-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Sids_chickenleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #63 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Issues_Sunshyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,357
Issues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missed
Default Re: Yokozuna was great



Haha, really? Don't think I need to say anymore.
Issues_Sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #64 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Yosihait is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sids_chickenleg View Post
Wait what? Yokozuna won the Rumble BEFORE Wrestlemania 9. Wouldn't necessarily call guys like Savage "jobbers". But if you're also using that logic Goldberg was nothing because he beat "jobbers" before he became champ.

In that time WWF was in a transitional period. EVERYONE had an 80's gimmick still.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying the "real standards" or whatever you called it. To watch it happen live is a very different beast than watching it 20 years later when you have 20 other years to compare it to.



Your inability to have a mature conversation by saying these types of things doesn't make your argument any better. It'd be great to debate about if we think Yokozuna was great or not, but I certainly don't when people say this. It's just not fun after that.
Come on.

Yokozuna defeated Jobbers. The elimination from the Rumble (That was idiotic, BTW) sucked ass. He didn't DEFEATED Savage. He didn't INJURED or DOMINATED HIM.

Goldberg made money. Goldberg fought a lot of people that were big, in the beggining he fought jobbers. Besides, Goldberg had another stuff to him.

"Everyone had 80s gimmick"- Yeah, so? Vince's inability to realise that wasn't the culture is not my fault. Vince Russo woke him up from that 80s nightmere. I don't care if the WWF wasn't 90s yet, culture was!

"To watch it happen live is a very different beast than watching it 20 years later when you have 20 other years to compare it to."- Yeah, because I can judge it without saying how much I loved it as a kid. Good stuff stay good.

And You're WRONG. Just because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issues_Sunshyne View Post


Haha, really? Don't think I need to say anymore.
Who cares about reputation? It means nothing. By the way, the "Old resposible" fan wrote me "You're a mo-mo." HE'S the child.
Yosihait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #65 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 346
MoneyInc is an after thoughtMoneyInc is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

The dude in this thread that keeps arguing against Yoko needs to get a life. The stuff about "he lost money" is MORONIC. Name one heel that held that belt that didn't "lose money" after 1993. Hell. Name one belt holder that didn't lose money after the golden era on up to the attitude era. Does this mean they were all unworthy? The "he lost money" argument makes me want to fucking puke. Bret lost money. Was he undeserving?

You dispute the fact that Yoko was a good wrestler, NOT JUST for his size. He could do a crescent kick and hit a man in the chin. There are regular size guys in the business that could not do that. He was DAMN NEAR a perfect heel and most people who were watching wrestling at the time would NOT be on your side of this argument. Kids or adults. It does go a long way that he scared the shit out of kids. Kids were a very big part of WWF's viewing audience.


I mentioned it earlier in the thread but this moron has such a thick head Im going to bring it up again.

The Yoko bodyslamming competition.

This is a very memorable moment and one of the highlights of the post golden era, pre attitude era. The whole thing was the definition of great heel work. He gave Lugar a launching pad that he definitely needed because WWE had Lugar as a heel as the Narcissist. WWE fans especially young ones viewed Lugar as a bad guy and didn't know about his WCW days. YOKO WAS SUCH A GOOD HEEL, he could put you over without even wrestling a match. You could hold a fucking body slamming competition and if you slam him, THE WHOLE WORLD WILL LOVE YOU. You need to get it through your thick skull that this is GOOD HEEL WORK.

YOU clearly don't know much about the business. When a man can get the crowd to cheer heavily for WHOEVER he is facing, he is a damn good heel. YOKO COULD DRAW HEAT IN A FUCKING IN THE FROZEN TUNDRA. NO MATTER WHERE HE WENT OR WHAT HE DID, HE GOT BIG FAN REACTION AND BOOS. If you didn't know, this is what heels are supposed to do.

You also have to consider how large of a man he was. Did he injure anybody when he would sit on them? No. He was as graceful of a 500 pound man that you will ever see in your entire life. Realize it and move the fuck on.
MoneyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #66 (permalink)
Lacing SCOTT STEINER's boots
 
Issues_Sunshyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,357
Issues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missed
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post



Who cares about reputation? It means nothing. By the way, the "Old resposible" fan wrote me "You're a mo-mo." HE'S the child.
EXACTLY. Rep means nothing. The fact I highlighted you negative repping me was there to fortify that, and the fact you went out of your way to do it just, along with not taking anyone elses opinions on board and "sucks ass", shows how we shouldn't really talk to you about this.

And to fight my corner, no I did not send you negative rep, what would be the honest point? I don't even know what mo-mo would mean, are you serious?
Issues_Sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #67 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Yosihait is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyInc View Post
The dude in this thread that keeps arguing against Yoko needs to get a life. The stuff about "he lost money" is MORONIC. Name one heel that held that belt that didn't "lose money" after 1993. Hell. Name one belt holder that didn't lose money after the golden era on up to the attitude era. Does this mean they were all unworthy? The "he lost money" argument makes me want to fucking puke. Bret lost money. Was he undeserving?

You dispute the fact that Yoko was a good wrestler, NOT JUST for his size. He could do a crescent kick and hit a man in the chin. There are regular size guys in the business that could not do that. He was DAMN NEAR a perfect heel and most people who were watching wrestling at the time would NOT be on your side of this argument. Kids or adults. It does go a long way that he scared the shit out of kids. Kids were a very big part of WWF's viewing audience.


I mentioned it earlier in the thread but this moron has such a thick head Im going to bring it up again.

The Yoko bodyslamming competition.

This is a very memorable moment and one of the highlights of the post golden era, pre attitude era. The whole thing was the definition of great heel work. He gave Lugar a launching pad that he definitely needed because WWE had Lugar as a heel as the Narcissist. WWE fans especially young ones viewed Lugar as a bad guy and didn't know about his WCW days. YOKO WAS SUCH A GOOD HEEL, he could put you over without even wrestling a match. You could hold a fucking body slamming competition and if you slam him, THE WHOLE WORLD WILL LOVE YOU. You need to get it through your thick skull that this is GOOD HEEL WORK.

YOU clearly don't know much about the business. When a man can get the crowd to cheer heavily for WHOEVER he is facing, he is a damn good heel. YOKO COULD DRAW HEAT IN A FUCKING IN THE FROZEN TUNDRA. NO MATTER WHERE HE WENT OR WHAT HE DID, HE GOT BIG FAN REACTION AND BOOS. If you didn't know, this is what heels are supposed to do.

You also have to consider how large of a man he was. Did he injure anybody when he would sit on them? No. He was as graceful of a 500 pound man that you will ever see in your entire life. Realize it and move the fuck on.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

BRET LOST MONEY, HE'S UNDESERVING! NASH LOST MONEY, HE DIDN'T DESERVE IT!


Ooooooh... Did Yoko made you cry in the nights? Fuck it. Cena is a hero, doesn't mean he's suitable to represent it now.

"YOKO COULD DRAW HEAT IN A FUCKING IN THE FROZEN TUNDRA. NO MATTER WHERE HE WENT OR WHAT HE DID, HE GOT BIG FAN REACTION AND BOOS. HE MADE ME PISS MY PANTS AND CRAP IT!!!!!!!!".

NO, HE DIDN'T!

He drew heat from how much? How much people boo him?!

In your opinion, Heath Slater would be a great heel champ, because when he'll be a champ, 300 people will be in the crowd and will boo him!

HE WAS A SUCKY HEEL! The funny stuff in here is that Miz sucks, but Yoko rocks. WHILE HE WAS THE EXACT SAME HEEL!

Get out of your mark feelings. HE WASN'T DOMINATING!

AND THE PEOPLE THAT LIKED THOSE TIMES WERE'NT ENOUGH! THE WWF LOST MONEY, BUSINESS AND FANS AT THOSE DAYS! NO ONE GAVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT THE PRODUCT!

GET OVER IT, HE SUCKED ASS AND FUCKED THE BUSINESS. MOVE ALONE, YOU NEED TO GO TO BAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issues_Sunshyne View Post
EXACTLY. Rep means nothing. The fact I highlighted you negative repping me was there to fortify that, and the fact you went out of your way to do it just, along with not taking anyone elses opinions on board and "sucks ass", shows how we shouldn't really talk to you about this.

And to fight my corner, no I did not send you negative rep, what would be the honest point? I don't even know what mo-mo would mean, are you serious?
YOKO SUCKED ASS, HE WAS NOTHING! GET OVER HIM!

Last edited by Yosihait : 03-14-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Yosihait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #68 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 346
MoneyInc is an after thoughtMoneyInc is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

BRET LOST MONEY, HE'S UNDESERVING! NASH LOST MONEY, HE DIDN'T DESERVE IT!


Ooooooh... Did Yoko made you cry in the nights? Fuck it. Cena is a hero, doesn't mean he's suitable to represent it now.

"YOKO COULD DRAW HEAT IN A FUCKING IN THE FROZEN TUNDRA. NO MATTER WHERE HE WENT OR WHAT HE DID, HE GOT BIG FAN REACTION AND BOOS. HE MADE ME PISS MY PANTS AND CRAP IT!!!!!!!!".

NO, HE DIDN'T!

He drew heat from how much? How much people boo him?!

In your opinion, Heath Slater would be a great heel champ, because when he'll be a champ, 300 people will be in the crowd and will boo him!

HE WAS A SUCKY HEEL! The funny stuff in here is that Miz sucks, but Yoko rocks. WHILE HE WAS THE EXACT SAME HEEL!

Get out of your mark feelings. HE WASN'T DOMINATING!

AND THE PEOPLE THAT LIKED THOSE TIMES WERE'NT ENOUGH! THE WWF LOST MONEY, BUSINESS AND FANS AT THOSE DAYS! NO ONE GAVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT THE PRODUCT!

GET OVER IT, HE SUCKED ASS AND FUCKED THE BUSINESS. MOVE ALONE, YOU NEED TO GO TO BAD!
2 questions..

Do you have mental issues?

Do you have any friends?

if you seriously think the same amount of people boo heath slater that boo'd yoko, i feel sorry for you. Go back and watch a couple Yoko entrances.

And now you state any WWF champion that lost money was undeserving. WOW. Get a clue man. Macho lost money compared to Hogan. Was he undeserving. Hell everyone lost money compared to Hogan or Cena. Does that mean they are all less deserving than Hogan was? In your MESSED UP world Hogan would have been champion for 7 straight years, and Cena would have been champion the next 15.

Get a clue man before you make an even bigger clown of yourself. No one has any reason to think Yoko was undeserving except YOU.
MoneyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #69 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Yosihait is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyInc View Post
2 questions..

Do you have mental issues?

Do you have any friends?

if you seriously think the same amount of people boo heath slater that boo'd yoko, i feel sorry for you. Go back and watch a couple Yoko entrances.
Two answeres to a guy that knows nothing:

1) Yes, I have Asperger.

2) Yes. Do you have any friends besides that Yoko picture? And it's ruined too!

Yoko's entrances? OH, you meant those ones from the events where afterwards Vince cried "BUT WHY WE'RE LOSING MONEY?!".

His entrances mean nothing. Nash was VERY popular at 1995. SO?

Hogan was VERY popular at 2000, so?

Jack Millman was VERY popular at the last days of the AWA!

Those mean nothing.
Yosihait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #70 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 346
MoneyInc is an after thoughtMoneyInc is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

I can't even understand the points you are trying to make now. You are spiraling out of control. The only point you have against Yoko is that he lost money. MY POINT is everyone lost money compared to someone else so what the hell are you talking about. Do you even know for a fact he lost money other than your hearing that WWE lost money at that time. Hell using your thought process there wasn't a single wrestler in the business worthy of even having a job because they all lost money.
MoneyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios