Yokozuna was great - Page 4 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Yosihait is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issues_Sunshyne View Post
I think Luger won that match via count out, then won the Rumble with Bret that led to the 2 matches a WM. I remember the faces all hoisting Bret on their shoulders at Wrestlemania X, if you're thinking of that?
The Faces also celebrated with Luger after his count out victory. Probably the stupidest celebration I've ever seen, because... Well, he didn't win the title! And he couldn't get another title shot until Wrestlemania!
Yosihait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 349
MoneyInc is an after thoughtMoneyInc is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post
No, he didn't deserve the title.

I'm sorry, but he didn't make any money. YOU maybe paid to see him, but the WWE lost money those years. Yoko was just not relevant to the culture!

Luger was a star when he came in to the WWE. People knew him from WCW.

And Yoko's "Good heel work" was the same as Honky Tonk Man's work as an IC champ. Doesn't mean he was fit as a champ. Yoko lost everytime, against everyone- He just never lost his title because he got counted out or DQed. That's why he sucked.

And About Summerslam- Celebrating after you win by Count out and won't have another title shot until Wrestlemania, doesn't make you look so good.
Wow. Now you are starting to argue just to argue without making legitpoints. Of course Lugar was well known. It is still a fact that the Body Slam competition was fun to watch and it was a perfect push for Lugar's NEW character in the WWE. Yoko DID deserve to hold the belt because he was the best heel at the time and sometimes a heel must hold a belt if you didn't know. The crowd hated him and that is the point. It was very easy to cheer for the other guy and it was also very believable that Yoko could beat any of these wrestlers. It was also believable that he was champion.

Show some money numbers instead of just saying "he lost money." Also compare it to other heels who held belts around that time. Also prove to me that it was Yoko's fault and not the rest of the company's. Also it is probably true that anytime a heel held the belt around that time like Backlund for example, they "lost money."

Bret "Lost money" supposedly, especially compared to Hogan and such. Does that make him undeserving? No.

This is one of the more undeserving threads I've ever been apart of.

What do you want people to do here? Admit that Yoko was a undeserving champion? You use things like "he didn't beat anyone" to back your claims. This is where you get lost. You are stuck in the "Fake" part of the argument. He didn't beat anyone has nothing to do with him being a deserving champion. Think about it as an adult. His "real life" skills and ring work is what people with a brain think about here. He was a great heel because he sold it well in the ring and his character sold it well out of the ring with just his IMAGE ALONE. He was 500 pounds and he could do a crescent kick better than a lot of the normal sized athletes. His finisher as many have said was pretty darn great as well.

Last edited by MoneyInc : 02-22-2013 at 01:15 PM.
MoneyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Yosihait is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyInc View Post
Wow. Now you are starting to argue just to argue without making legitpoints. Of course Lugar was well known. It is still a fact that the Body Slam competition was fun to watch and it was a perfect push for Lugar's NEW character in the WWE. Yoko DID deserve to hold the belt because he was the best heel at the time and sometimes a heel must hold a belt if you didn't know. The crowd hated him and that is the point. It was very easy to cheer for the other guy and it was also very believable that Yoko could beat any of these wrestlers. It was also believable that he was champion.

Show some money numbers instead of just saying "he lost money." Also compare it to other heels who held belts around that time. Also prove to me that it was Yoko's fault and not the rest of the company's. Also it is probably true that anytime a heel held the belt around that time like Backlund for example, they "lost money."

Bret "Lost money" supposedly, especially compared to Hogan and such. Does that make him undeserving? No.

This is one of the more undeserving threads I've ever been apart of.

What do you want people to do here? Admit that Yoko was a undeserving champion? You use things like "he didn't beat anyone" to back your claims. This is where you get lost. You are stuck in the "Fake" part of the argument. He didn't beat anyone has nothing to do with him being a deserving champion. Think about it as an adult. His "real life" skills and ring work is what people with a brain think about here. He was a great heel because he sold it well in the ring and his character sold it well out of the ring with just his IMAGE ALONE. He was 500 pounds and he could do a crescent kick better than a lot of the normal sized athletes. His finisher as many have said was pretty darn great as well.
No. It's not.

Luger's new character sucked. No one wanted to see a Patriot in 1993! Vince McMahon basically came to Luger and told him "Well, Hogan's gone, we just decided to turn a perfectly good Narcissist gimmick to a Hogan ripoff!".

Yokozuna WASN'T the best heel at the time. He was a gimmick character and had nothing to offer. The best heel at the time was Luger (But that's an opinion). The crowd that hated Yokozuna was a small crowd. You can put the belt on Heath Slater and you'll have 30 people who will hate him to death. Guess what? This is a low number of people in the crowd. He was a belivable champion? He lost all the time and never won clean. He was, actually, a giant Honky Tonk Man. A Giant Miz, if you'll want.

"Show some money numbers instead of just saying "he lost money." Also compare it to other heels who held belts around that time. Also prove to me that it was Yoko's fault and not the rest of the company's. Also it is probably true that anytime a heel held the belt around that time like Backlund for example, they "lost money."

Wow, that's ridicolous. Show you some numbers? So now everytime I'll say something OBVIOUS about Wrestling history you'll ask me to bring the numbers? Yokozuna LOST money because the WWE lost tons of money back then. Even Raven said that "The business sucked at this point" and he was there. Under Yoko, the numbers toiled, the syndicated shows around the country got cancelled, advertizers cancelled deals and family wrestling was considered a dead brand. And it's Yoko's fault because he was, like a lot of other people in the company (Bastion Booger, Doink, Ludvig Borga, Tatanka) the representative of the failure that was 80s wrestling in the 1990s. Backlund lost money? He held the title for three days, he lost nothing. Yoko held the title for 280 days and had some of the lowest rated house shows ever.

"Bret "Lost money" supposedly, especially compared to Hogan and such. Does that make him undeserving? No."

Actually... Yes. It makes him undeserving. But I hate Bret. I'm sorry, but a good champ represents the time and Yoko wasn't 1993. He was 1980s. Heck, even in the 1980s he would be only a jobber.

"He didn't beat anyone has nothing to do with him being a deserving champion. Think about it as an adult. His "real life" skills and ring work is what people with a brain think about here. He was a great heel because he sold it well in the ring and his character sold it well out of the ring with just his IMAGE ALONE. He was 500 pounds and he could do a crescent kick better than a lot of the normal sized athletes. His finisher as many have said was pretty darn great as well."

No. Just no. I see it in my country a lot where Yoko is being raised to the level of a Wrestling God. How old were you when you've seen him? Because that's deciving. If the same Yoko would come today you'll hate the guy and you won't say that he is good, and you'll definitely won't call him great. He had three moves! Legdrop, Banzai and Belly to Belly. And other then that?

He was a great champion how? He is really bad being compared to other champs in Talent, Charisma, Star Power and Draw power. So how was he a great champ? Even the Miz is better in the ring and in the mic. Yokozuna also affected nothing in this business, and even Bret affected something. A lot of people say that he was a monster. If he was a monster, why did everybody beat him? Why did he got DQed and counted out?

Yoko had no character! He had a dry and stale character. He had no good feuds. None. He had nothing else then his size. Okay, so you see him, and at first his size is interesting. But then what? What another sides his character had? Nothing. He was this Japanese monster who weighted 500 pounds and that's it. Nothing but his size. Why did he get Fuji as a manager? Because he had no star Power. And why both of them got Cornette as a manager? Because Yoko and Fuji together had no star power. Yoko was one of the factors to the darkest times in wrestling, the time where WWE almost got shut down.

And I'll end my post with this: If Yoko was great as you say he was, he wouldn't became a nobody after he lost his title and his storyline was done.
Yosihait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 948
Ovidswaggle is an after thoughtOvidswaggle is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Always a big fan of just seeing him. Was fine with him either briefly on top or in the mid card. You're going to need a few oversized fellas on a wrestling show eventually and he was a good one.
Ovidswaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 948
Ovidswaggle is an after thoughtOvidswaggle is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Always a big fan of just seeing him. Was fine with him either briefly on top or in the mid card. You're going to need a few oversized fellas on a wrestling show eventually and he was a good one. Also, always was a huge deal to watch someone lift him which just makes the matches a little more fun. I'm sure as an adult now though I would complain about his work rate or something pointless.
Ovidswaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #37 (permalink)
Starbase Entertainment
 
11Shareef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Saginaw, MI
Posts: 3,535
11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed11Shareef probably won't be missed
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

I wonder how many of the post here are from people in the late 30's-40's who would've been teens or adults then vs people looking at it retrospectively. That could be a factor in so many negative post. Anyway, I'm 23, so I am looking back at it with an altered view, but one thing that people need to realize is Wrestlemania 9 was the first 'Mania to be booked nearly without Hogan. Given Hogan's last minute show closing appearance I'm going to assume he wasn't apart of the build. Now, If you're WWE I can see why they'd pick such a massive human being to main event. Hogan had been such a huge part of Wrestlemania, main eventing 7 outta 8 shows, they probably looked at Yoko and decided this had to be the attraction moving forward just because of sheer size. People ask why wasn't they pushing someone "better", WWE wasn't there yet as a company. They weren't going with who now would be IWC favorites, they we're going with who they thought could be an attraction. Rumor is Luger talked too much and that's why they didn't give him the belt, but I'm almost surprised they didn't go with him to over Bret. Maybe it's a testament to how good Bret is that they went with him as main eventer.

Anyway, I don't think Yokozuna should be discredited, PLENTLY of big men have come and gone and for every success, theirs 10 massive failures.
__________________

#SmartenUp
11Shareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #38 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Yosihait is an after thought
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninealevyn View Post
I wonder how many of the post here are from people in the late 30's-40's who would've been teens or adults then vs people looking at it retrospectively. That could be a factor in so many negative post. Anyway, I'm 23, so I am looking back at it with an altered view, but one thing that people need to realize is Wrestlemania 9 was the first 'Mania to be booked nearly without Hogan. Given Hogan's last minute show closing appearance I'm going to assume he wasn't apart of the build. Now, If you're WWE I can see why they'd pick such a massive human being to main event. Hogan had been such a huge part of Wrestlemania, main eventing 7 outta 8 shows, they probably looked at Yoko and decided this had to be the attraction moving forward just because of sheer size. People ask why wasn't they pushing someone "better", WWE wasn't there yet as a company. They weren't going with who now would be IWC favorites, they we're going with who they thought could be an attraction. Rumor is Luger talked too much and that's why they didn't give him the belt, but I'm almost surprised they didn't go with him to over Bret. Maybe it's a testament to how good Bret is that they went with him as main eventer.

Anyway, I don't think Yokozuna should be discredited, PLENTLY of big men have come and gone and for every success, theirs 10 massive failures.
I WISH that one day the WWE will get better and then someone will say that the current times had to be bad because "The WWE wasn't there yet".

Yokozuna was a bad attrection. Vince thought "Yeah, he will be big!" but he didn't because CULTURE wasn't there. The WWE failed to realize that those weren't the eighties anymore, and therefore Yoko shouldn't be there.

His "Success" means nothing. He got ONE big storyline. Giant Gonzales came for ONE big storyline as well. Their "Success" is because Vince thought that they will draw. Obviously he was wrong.

Last edited by Yosihait : 03-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Yosihait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Challenging SCOTT STEINER's authority
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,517
Issues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missedIssues_Sunshyne probably won't be missed
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post
I WISH that one day the WWE will get better and then someone that the current times had to be bad because "The WWE wasn't there yet".

Yokozuna was a bad attrection. Vince thought "Yeah, he will be big!" but he didn't because CULTURE wasn't there. The WWE failed to realize that those weren't the eighties anymore, and therefore Yoko shouldn't be there.

His "Success" means nothing. He got ONE big storyline. Giant Gonzales came for ONE big storyline as well. Their "Success" is because Vince thought that they will draw. Obviously he was wrong.
Are you genuinely shocked when people have an opinion different than yours? Everytime anyone says anything in this thread about their own opinion of Yokozuna, you take up the mantle to tell them how wrong they are.
Issues_Sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
R'hllor, The Lord of Light
 
Melisandre of Asshai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,049
Melisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth readingMelisandre of Asshai has posts worth reading
Default Re: Yokozuna was great

Yoko in my opinion was one of the best big men in the business and is a little underrated by fans.
__________________


Lord of Light, Come to us in our darkness.
Melisandre of Asshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios