Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s - Page 2 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
   
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Late 80's, early 90's would have been a mistake IMO. They probably could have tried something around WrestleMania 9 when Hogan jumped in and won the title at the last second and it MIGHT have worked but the way it was done in 96 was probably the best way it could've been done.
JohnyCrown is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Searching for a new identity
 
septurum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 5,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                 
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

I think Hogan's heel turn was one of the best in history. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

septurum is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Anyone who says that in 1990-1991 Hogan was still a draw, is wrong

Since 1990, Hogan was not a draw. He couldn't stop the downfall of house shows that started during Warrior's reign. His matches with Slaughter couldn't draw any serious crowd, and the crowd booed him. Even on 1993 he couldn't help the WWE house shows and even when he got to WCW, he didn't made anything go up aside from his debut match.

By the way, watch the Hindsightmania series on Youtube. The guy actually books Wrestlemanias and he turns Hogan heel on 1991 and makes him "The ugly American". I'm sorry, but Hogan couldn't sell as a babyface during the 90s. It didn't work. The WWE started losing money then.
Yosihait is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
The Gorgeous One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
             
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post
Anyone who says that in 1990-1991 Hogan was still a draw, is wrong

Since 1990, Hogan was not a draw. He couldn't stop the downfall of house shows that started during Warrior's reign. His matches with Slaughter couldn't draw any serious crowd, and the crowd booed him. Even on 1993 he couldn't help the WWE house shows and even when he got to WCW, he didn't made anything go up aside from his debut match.

By the way, watch the Hindsightmania series on Youtube. The guy actually books Wrestlemanias and he turns Hogan heel on 1991 and makes him "The ugly American". I'm sorry, but Hogan couldn't sell as a babyface during the 90s. It didn't work. The WWE started losing money then.
They moved the WM 7 venue, because they were afraid for Slaughters life at the original venue, he was getting that much heat. The PPV buy rates went up as soon as Hogan joined, they increased more than they were doing before. Hogan occasionally was getting booed, but it wasn't like John Cena, Hogan was still a draw after 1990, WCW Nitro beat RAW sometimes prior to the nWo, with Hogan as the main draw, for sure he wasn't as big as he used to be, but he was still a big draw.
The Gorgeous One is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gorgeous One View Post
They moved the WM 7 venue, because they were afraid for Slaughters life at the original venue, he was getting that much heat. The PPV buy rates went up as soon as Hogan joined, they increased more than they were doing before. Hogan occasionally was getting booed, but it wasn't like John Cena, Hogan was still a draw after 1990, WCW Nitro beat RAW sometimes prior to the nWo, with Hogan as the main draw, for sure he wasn't as big as he used to be, but he was still a big draw.
You ignore the fact that the ticket sales were weak even before the venue change. Do you really think that Vince would care about Slaughter if he had 100,000 people in the original venue? No. Add to this that the Rumble did better then Wrestlemania that year.

And WCW still lost money with Hogan until 1996. Exept for his debut, he did nothing. Not even in the WWE of 1993. Basically, he was John Cena- That one dimmensional superman that the WWE were afraid to turn heel. And Cena comes out every week- Hogan didn't. So Cena would get more boos.
Yosihait is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Getting over in the mid-card
 
dave 1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Up until mid 1991 Hulk Hogan was still a HUGE draw and had the crowd behind him as the biggest babyface in the business so there was no reason at all to turn him heel. There was also the fact that there was no one else who could have taken over as the top babyface and drawn anywhere near as much as Hulk Hogan did from 1984 through to mid 1991 as seen by Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior during their run as WWE champion.

For a heel turn for Hulk Hogan to have as much impact as it did on the entire business the timing had to be right and the world was a different place in the late 80's to how it was in 1996 and the world had seen enough of the whiter than white babyface which is why Hulk Hogan was booed. At best maybe turning Hulk Hogan heel in 1993 may have worked as it may have carried WWE through the dark period from 1993 to 1996 with the momentum it may have had and it could have made mega stars out of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash.

dave 1981 is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
dddsssccc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
   
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

There was no reason to turn Hogan heel back in the 80's or early 90's. His heel turn in 96 was perfect. They let his babyface run play itself completely out and right when he got stale as a baby face and was beginning to get booed etc. they turned him heel and did it in an all time great storyline. His heel turn is not something that needs fixing or re-booked. It was awesome and the fact that it took so long for him to turn heel added infinitely to it when it finally went down.
dddsssccc is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Humbled
 
Yosihait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 1981 View Post
Up until mid 1991 Hulk Hogan was still a HUGE draw and had the crowd behind him as the biggest babyface in the business so there was no reason at all to turn him heel. There was also the fact that there was no one else who could have taken over as the top babyface and drawn anywhere near as much as Hulk Hogan did from 1984 through to mid 1991 as seen by Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior during their run as WWE champion.

For a heel turn for Hulk Hogan to have as much impact as it did on the entire business the timing had to be right and the world was a different place in the late 80's to how it was in 1996 and the world had seen enough of the whiter than white babyface which is why Hulk Hogan was booed. At best maybe turning Hulk Hogan heel in 1993 may have worked as it may have carried WWE through the dark period from 1993 to 1996 with the momentum it may have had and it could have made mega stars out of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash.
Nah, Hogan stopped being a draw since 1991. The Rumble did better then WM in the buyrates and the venue change... All of that says that Hogan stopped started to fade away. The steroid trail killed him.

I don't know why to keep him face, BTW. He did anything big as a face from 1991-1996? Anything remarkable, exept for his feud with Flair? His feud with Slaughter didn't draw. His feud with Sid was stupid. He did nothing as a face back then.
Yosihait is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Searching for a new identity
 
septurum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 5,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                 
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosihait View Post
Nah, Hogan stopped being a draw since 1991.
Hogan was a draw in WCW so I fail to see your point.

septurum is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 AM
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
 
Quasi Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 7,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Turning Hogan heel in late 1980s

Quote:
Originally Posted by septurum View Post
Hogan was a draw in WCW so I fail to see your point.
Perhaps because it was fresh. A "Hogan in WCW, think of all the matches!" type deal so people tuned in to see him again. People were getting bored of seeing superman Hogan in the WWF all the time.

Quasi Juice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome