Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Top rivals of some of the classic stars
I was thinking today that I really would enjoy banter on this...
I will post some and you guys comment, add ommisions, and disagree.
Feel free to add your own wrestlers and list
1. Dusty Rhodes: The rivalry that defined the NWA during the 80's
2. Ricky Steamboat: Just a classic set of matches that took both of them to a new level
3. Terry Funk: They had multiple runs in three different decades, my favorite was their early 90's WCW fued. But they were rivals for decades and always compared.
4. Harly Race: Thier matches over the NWA title were legendary, Race probably was more responsible than anyone for Flair's success (aside from Flair himself)
5. Hulk Hogan: although their fued was almost 10 years too late they were constantly compared against each other.
HM: Magnum TA, Jack Brisco, Sting, Kerry Von Erich
1. Roddy Piper: The fued that launched WM, and the entire Rock and Wrestling era
2. Andre: To that point in history the defining moment of Hulkamania, and one of the top five moments in wrestling history.
3. Randy Savage: Their rivalry was classic for that era. I only wish they had given Savage more wins.
4. Paul Orndorff: Hogan's biggest threat for years, and big time rival
5. WCW: His NWO was huge as we all know
HM: Sgt. Slaughter, King Kong Bundy, Ultimate Warrior, Sting
1. Hulk Hogan: above
2. Big John Studd: Andre did not fued often before Hogan, he was more of a traveling act loaned out by the WWF, but this was one of his first real fueds
3. Killer Kahn: Kahn was given credit for breaking Andre's leg, this was a big deal in the late 70's. The revenge match was epic.
4. Jake Roberts: Like I said Andre did not have a lot of real fueds until Hogan so even though this one was probably just a blip on a great career it was a top five rivalry for Andre
5. Ken Patera: Patera played a large role in the Studd fued
HM: Don Leo Jonathon, Ernie Ladd
and two of my favs....
1. Bill Dundee: The classic rivalry that spanned three decades
2. Jimmy Hart: No one brought out the best in Lawler than Hart and his revolving door of first family members.
3. Andy Kauffman:
4. Dutch Mantell: Like Dundee, he and Lawler swpped back and forth from heel/face another long standing rival
5. Jackie Fargo: The fued that gave Lawler the title "King of wrestling".
HM: Jimmy Valiant, Nick Bockwinkle, Austin Idol, Rocky Johnson
1. Iron Sheik: Probably one of the greatest rivalries of all time
2. Hulk Hogan: It was not just their fued but the backstage rivalry that denied Slaughter the top spot in the WWF in 84. Slaughter has been on record saying he was promised the belt but Vince backed out when Hulamania was born, which contributed to his leaving.
3. Pat Patterson: A classic WWF fued, Patterson's last
4. Ricky Steamboat: Not given enough credit, their fued along with Kernodle and Youngblood was probably the hottest angle in Mid Atlantic history.
5. Wahoo McDaniel; They fueded over the US Title for years.
HM: Bob Backlund, Jay Youngblood, Ray Stevens
Last edited by Greenlawler; 11-30-2012 at 12:50 AM.