Originally Posted by BruiserKC
You forgot all about Colonel DeBeers. Without a doubt, that was one of the AWA's biggest feuds in the mid-to-late 80s. Especially when they put in the racial aspect of DeBeers refusing to wrestle Snuka because of the color of his skin, but had no problem with jumping him and piledriving him onto the concrete with that face-first maneuver he used.
To me, one match doesn't make a rivalry. The two were very comparable, but it just wasn't there. Take the RnR off the list and replace them with the Road Warriors.
"Hands of Stone" Rugged Ronnie Garvin
1. Ric Flair...The rugged blue-collar slugger versus the playboy World champion. This was one of Flair's more underrated feuds in the 80s and Garvin worked well with him.
2. Jake "The Snake" Roberts...I saw many a battle with these two on Georgia Championship Wrestling over the GCW TV title. These two tried to kill one another.
3. Randy "Macho Man" Savage...This one took place during the ICW days and Garvin was almost always a top challenger for Savage's ICW championship.
4. Midnight Express/Jim Cornette...The night Cornette threw a fireball in Garvin's face showed just how intense this feud was. The following matches against Big Bubba and then against Cornette were absolutely great angles.
5. Greg Gagne...In the dying days of the AWA, I thought this was a solid feud over the International TV title. Two solid veterans that (at the time this was Garvin's heel turn) were polar opposites of each other. Too bad their blow-off match at Superclash III was underwhelming.
HM: Ox Baker, Arn Anderson, Greg Valentine
Agreed on a lot of this...always love your feedback.
I did forget DeBeers....maybe because the AWA was just on life support at that time...but you are right certainly worthy of a HM.
I can also agree about the Road Warriors flipping with the Rock N Roll, but it was a pretty big rivalry in the minds of the fans, at least down in this area.
I love your Garvin list, especially becuase you know enough about him that you included the Savage IWC fued....major respect for knowing that. The only one I might disagree with is Gagne, but that is a matter of taste, i hated that fued. I was at one of these matches live and the crowd just hated it. I would have put Valentine here as Garvin's highest prfile WWF fued. But just my opinion. Good stuff.
Still wating for a Bruno list from one of you WWF guys.