Why I Like Flair So Much - Page 3 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM
If I really don't like someone, I call them a Tony Schiavone.---Ron Funches
 
Elipses Corter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Roids View Post
Please. Jerry was a big star in his territories particularly memphis and later on with the AWA but come on he is no way as big as Flair Who was in the 80s the biggest star of the second biggest promotion, Jim Crockett Promotions which later became WCW.

When Lawler reached his height as being somewhat of a national star when he beat the late great Curt Hennig for the AWA World title, the AWA was already degraded as the third biggest wrestling promotion.

lawler was always used as a job character and later an announcer, while Flair got the topstar treatment in his WWF run in 1991. That pretty much says it that Flair is the bigger star here.
That says nothing about why some older fans would rank Lawler above Flair.

Read my post again. I said I prefer Flair but let's not forget why he was on top for so long. Regardless, he was the man in the 80s for me. And I never said Lawler was bigger than Flair, I said he was a reasonable choice for discussion of best of the 80s. And I know quite a few people who were fans of Lawler during that time that post here that have perfect reasoning for supporting Lawler.

Your argument isn't with me. Once again, I said I prefer Flair. But in the OP, everything that was attributed to Flair can be said for Lawler. We're not talking about WWE pushes. We're talking about dominance in the territory days and defining moments of the 80s. Can't wait for Green Lawler to log in, he supports Lawler and because he was a big fan at the time, he can describe why Lawler is in the conversation. And possibly Terry Funk as well (70s & 80s).
Elipses Corter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
 
Greenlawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
                     
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Roids View Post
Please. Jerry was a big star in his territories particularly memphis and later on with the AWA but come on he is no way as big as Flair Who was in the 80s the biggest star of the second biggest promotion, Jim Crockett Promotions which later became WCW.

When Lawler reached his height as being somewhat of a national star when he beat the late great Curt Hennig for the AWA World title, the AWA was already degraded as the third biggest wrestling promotion.

lawler was always used as a job character and later an announcer, while Flair got the topstar treatment in his WWF run in 1991. That pretty much says it that Flair is the bigger star here.
A couple of things; first on Lawler/Flair, then on Flair himself.

I admit Flair is the bigger star, but do not discount Lawler. Lawler's greatness was not just in the ring. Dusty I do not understand your dislike for Lawler. I doubt you got a lot of Memphis wrestling where you grew up. No disrespect intended but I did. I saw it, I watched it, for a 15 year period Lawler was easily one of the ten biggest names in the sport. How many guys can you say that about? Maybe 5?

Sure Lawler booked himself often, but understand how hard it is to keep selling out buildings in one of the largest territories. The fact is the entire Memphis territory grew up around Lawler, who was not a booker at the time, because he was so popular the Memphis end of the old NWA Mid America territory was able to break away and build a new more dominant territory around him. The classic matches, his mic work, creativity, etc...Lawler may not be Flair but he is in the conversation, no doubt about it. Any decent record of the territories would include multiple Lawler moments as some of the greatest ever. The Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl is given credit for being the fore-runner of extreme. He and Funk wrestled in the empty arena years before Mankind and Rock. His fued with Andy Kauffman stuff of legend. He wrestled them all from Flair, Fargo, Thesz, Wrestling 2, Savage, Rude, The Road Warriors, Bockwinkle, Brisco, Andre, Von Erich, Hogan, even the Rock. Heck even the concieded and no selling, but legendary Mil Mascaras did a stretcher job for Lawler. He discovered a Hall of Fame list of guys himself, and made them stars. Even in the WWF, in the third, fourth, and fifth decades of a legendary career, saying Lawler was a job character is a stretch. He notched several high profile wins, and was used with younger stars because he had legit heat. In fact according to guys like Al Snow and Flair himself the reason they used a 50year old plus Lawler was because he was one of the few guys who could get a "hot match" out of some of the youngsters. I do conceede Flair was a bigger star than Lawler, but not by much, and that is more because Flair is the gold standard. Comparing anyone to Flair during that era is a stretch. Lawler from 1976-1992 was consistantly in the top ten conversation. By the time he went to the WWF he was already a first ballot hall of fame shoe in.

As far as Flair goes, this once again boils down to a generational thing. For a period of twenty years Flair was on top. Occasianlly someone would join him on that pedestal but Flair was always there. Guys like Steamboat, Rhodes, Funk, and Race advanced their careers during their rivalries with Flair.

If you grew up a Hogan mark, or grew up on the AE, you are likely to have a bias against Flair being called the GAOT, which includes most of the posters on this forum. I know I probably cannot convince you otherwise. As I have said numerous times I never really liked Flair myself, but as a wrestling fan I understand his greatness. I hate the Yankees too but I know they are the GOAT baseball franchise.

Stone Cold, Rock, even Hogan can boast excellent careers. Heck top ten careers, I watched everyone of them from their start to finish, but my non biased opinion is that none of them had the impact, longevity, in ring talent, or career that Flair did. I look forward to the day when some kid comes along and keeps throwing Cena in the IWC's face and them crying foul that Rock and Austin were way better....then you will know how this feels. You can't tell them they are wrong, they won't believe you, but you know because you watched them all.

Last edited by Greenlawler; 11-28-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Greenlawler is offline  
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Humbled
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM
Posts: 15,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Yeah, I don't even like Lawler, but the man had a big career, and every wrestling fan needs to educate, too shame these kids (old & young) only know him as a commentator.
Chismo is offline  
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Humbled
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
A couple of things; first on Lawler/Flair, then on Flair himself.

I admit Flair is the bigger star, but do not discount Lawler. Lawler's greatness was not just in the ring. Dusty I do not understand your dislike for Lawler. I doubt you got a lot of Memphis wrestling where you grew up. No disrespect intended but I did. I saw it, I watched it, for a 15 year period Lawler was easily one of the ten biggest names in the sport. How many guys can you say that about? Maybe 5?

Sure Lawler booked himself often, but understand how hard it is to keep selling out buildings in one of the largest territories. The fact is the entire Memphis territory grew up around Lawler, who was not a booker at the time, because he was so popular the Memphis end of the old NWA Mid America territory was able to break away and build a new more dominant territory around him. The classic matches, his mic work, creativity, etc...Lawler may not be Flair but he is in the conversation, no doubt about it. Any decent record of the territories would include multiple Lawler moments as some of the greatest ever. The Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl is given credit for being the fore-runner of extreme. He and Funk wrestled in the empty arena years before Mankind and Rock. His fued with Andy Kauffman stuff of legend. He wrestled them all from Flair, Fargo, Thesz, Wrestling 2, Savage, Rude, The Road Warriors, Bockwinkle, Brisco, Andre, Von Erich, Hogan, even the Rock. Heck even the concieded and no selling, but legendary Mil Mascaras did a stretcher job for Lawler. He discovered a Hall of Fame list of guys himself, and made them stars. Even in the WWF, in the third, fourth, and fifth decades of a legendary career, saying Lawler was a job character is a stretch. He notched several high profile wins, and was used with younger stars because he had legit heat. In fact according to guys like Al Snow and Flair himself the reason they used a 50year old plus Lawler was because he was one of the few guys who could get a "hot match" out of some of the youngsters. I do conceede Flair was a bigger star than Lawler, but not by much, and that is more because Flair is the gold standard. Comparing anyone to Flair during that era is a stretch. Lawler from 1976-1992 was consistantly in the top ten conversation. By the time he went to the WWF he was already a first ballot hall of fame shoe in.

As far as Flair goes, this once again boils down to a generational thing. For a period of twenty years Flair was on top. Occasianlly someone would join him on that pedestal but Flair was always there. Guys like Steamboat, Rhodes, Funk, and Race advanced their careers during their rivalries with Flair.

I never disrespected lawler's wrestling career, in fact i have seen a couple of things (not enough though) and read alot about him and I know he was one of the biggest stars of the territories in the 80s. I only said that lawler wasn't as big as Flair since he was the NWA/jim crockett prmotions/WCW topguy for many years.

Don't get me wrong I respect lawler for his wrestling career and commentating days during the Attitude Era, but i hate his current work.
Dusty Roids is offline  
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Austin has cut more intense and funnier promos than Flair
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline  
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 PM
UNA
 
UNA HEALY'S CHRISTMAS JUMPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Una's Wardrobe
Posts: 7,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
                     
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin316 G.O.A.T View Post
Austin has cut more intense and funnier promos than Flair


Last edited by UNA HEALY'S CHRISTMAS JUMPER; 11-28-2012 at 10:43 PM.
UNA HEALY'S CHRISTMAS JUMPER is online now  
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneAustin View Post
Austin 1996-1997 cut the most intense promos ever
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline  
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Little Poppa Pump
 
Mike Zybyszko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The school of hard knocks.
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
               
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin316 G.O.A.T View Post
Austin 1996-1997 cut the most intense promos ever
Matter of opinion. To me both Austin and Rock had "five cliche's of doom" type promos that got stale real quick.

As to Flair, it is very hard to argue against his status as perhaps the best all-around professional wrestler of all time in his prime years.

World titles? Check.

In-Ring skills? Check.
--we are talking about the guy who could go in there and wrestle a broom to at least a 4 star match.

Promos? Check.

Draw? Check.

Longevity? Check.
--over 3000 matches by my estimation, and perhaps hundreds more I don't know about.

Durability? Check.
--never gone long with injury, and even recovered from a broken fuckin back suffered in a fuckin plane crash. Any man that survives a plane crash is a charmed individual.

Legendary matches? Check.
--Steamboat, Windham, Funk, Sting, and many many more.

Willingness to put guys over? Check.
--he's put over almost everybody that mattered in the 1980s and 90s at one point or another.

I refuse to make a distinction as to who the absolute GOAT is because there are several people that have valid claims to that seat. Hogan, Race, Flair, Ed Lewis, Thesz, Gotch, Hackenschmidt, Londos, Sammartino, Rock, Austin, Andre, Backlund, Farmer Burns, William Muldoon, Inoki, Santo, and yes Lawler all have strong cases to make.

"If anyone asks you if you've paid your dues, you tell 'em the check is in the mail."

Not removing until:

[ ] Hulk Hogan vs Hawk Hogan

Last edited by Mike Zybyszko; 11-28-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Mike Zybyszko is offline  
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Moron
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Punk's Town
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
Grew up in attitude era. My favorite wrestlers are Chris Hero and D-Bry but without a doubt. Ric Flair is the G.O.A.T.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using VerticalSports.Com App
Mike Hero is offline  
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Why I Like Flair So Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zybyszko View Post
Matter of opinion. To me both Austin and Rock had "five cliche's of doom" type promos that got stale real quick.

I refuse to make a distinction as to who the absolute GOAT is because there are several people that have valid claims to that seat. Hogan, Race, Flair, Ed Lewis, Thesz, Gotch, Hackenschmidt, Londos, Sammartino, Rock, Austin, Andre, Backlund, Farmer Burns, William Muldoon, Inoki, Santo, and yes Lawler all have strong cases to make.
Hogan ain't the most talented in promos,in-ring skills,didn't put many people over and is a huge backstage politician yet he has more IMPACT on pro-wrestling than any wrestler post 1950.
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome