Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,377
theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000
Default Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

Considered one of the greatest wrestler of all times in Japan and arguably in US, he debuted in 1984 at 22 years of age, he is still going strong at 50.

Famed for the use of mist which he picked from Kabuki and the Muta scale which took off from his match with Hiroshi Hase for the bloodiest match, he has wrestled across U.S and Japan including WWC, WCCW, NWA, WCW, NJPW, AJPW for which he acted as a president during his tenure as well.

With a strong Judo and amateur wrestling background, he debuted in NJPW with a uneventful run since debut holding the IWGP tag titles for six days only. He quickly moved over to WCCW having a brief feud with Von Erich and a small run in Puerto Rico, he finally joined NWA as the Great Muta, son of Great Kabuki.

He feuded with Sting, Luger and Flair going on to win NWA TV title losing it to Arn Anderson before going back to Japan, this time as The Great Muta.

He joined NJPW quickly rising through the ranks soon winning the IWGP and NWA world title as well when he faced Kabuki, Sting and Hogan in epic matches. He dropped the Muta character and started out on his name post the run using the Muta character for special matches. He had a run against NWO Japan finally joining it after a lot of turn teases but got injured in the knee due to repeated use of Moonsault Press.

He however went on to win the heavyweight title as well as NWO leadership inspite of the injury but it took a toll on him and he had to take a hiatus.

He joined WCW during the break but it was at its lowest point and the run was uneventful and he came back to Japan with a makeover but his career, though decorated did not find as much success as before.

In a career that spawns over three decade winning 26 titles and wrestling across US and Japan; he upped the ante as to how entertaining a high flying match can and should be. He is a legend, revered in Japan, Forgotten elsewhere purely remembered for the Green Mist.
__________________
Don't fear the axe, fear the man holding it!

Spoiler for TIMBER!:
theidealstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
BruiserKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,803
BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000BruiserKC 2501 - 3000
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

His feud with Sting is one of the more underrated feuds in wrestling for that time and all-time. The two complimented each other quite well, it is a shame that he wasn't pushed to do more in the NWA as down the road having Muta and Sting feud for the NWA/WCW World title might have been something to watch.

One of my fave matches involving him was a battle royal that took place in Chicago, after which the opponents for the evening would be determined by order of elimination. Muta got to face a pre-roided Big Bad Booty Daddy and they put on a tremendous match.
__________________


The original heel commentators
BruiserKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,377
theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiserKC View Post
His feud with Sting is one of the more underrated feuds in wrestling for that time and all-time. The two complimented each other quite well, it is a shame that he wasn't pushed to do more in the NWA as down the road having Muta and Sting feud for the NWA/WCW World title might have been something to watch.

One of my fave matches involving him was a battle royal that took place in Chicago, after which the opponents for the evening would be determined by order of elimination. Muta got to face a pre-roided Big Bad Booty Daddy and they put on a tremendous match.
Though I was not around at that time to watch the feud, i enjoyed the match in youtube immensely. He could have been put to better use by NWA/WCW and i wonder why WWF never wanted to do anything with him while they got a Samoan to play a Japanese.
__________________
Don't fear the axe, fear the man holding it!

Spoiler for TIMBER!:
theidealstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 3
sabufan101 50 - 100
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealstranger View Post
Considered one of the greatest wrestler of all times in Japan and arguably in US, he debuted in 1984 at 22 years of age, he is still going strong at 50.

Famed for the use of mist which he picked from Kabuki and the Muta scale which took off from his match with Hiroshi Hase for the bloodiest match, he has wrestled across U.S and Japan including WWC, WCCW, NWA, WCW, NJPW, AJPW for which he acted as a president during his tenure as well.

With a strong Judo and amateur wrestling background, he debuted in NJPW with a uneventful run since debut holding the IWGP tag titles for six days only. He quickly moved over to WCCW having a brief feud with Von Erich and a small run in Puerto Rico, he finally joined NWA as the Great Muta, son of Great Kabuki.

He feuded with Sting, Luger and Flair going on to win NWA TV title losing it to Arn Anderson before going back to Japan, this time as The Great Muta.

He joined NJPW quickly rising through the ranks soon winning the IWGP and NWA world title as well when he faced Kabuki, Sting and Hogan in epic matches. He dropped the Muta character and started out on his name post the run using the Muta character for special matches. He had a run against NWO Japan finally joining it after a lot of turn teases but got injured in the knee due to repeated use of Moonsault Press.

He however went on to win the heavyweight title as well as NWO leadership inspite of the injury but it took a toll on him and he had to take a hiatus.

He joined WCW during the break but it was at its lowest point and the run was uneventful and he came back to Japan with a makeover but his career, though decorated did not find as much success as before.

In a career that spawns over three decade winning 26 titles and wrestling across US and Japan; he upped the ante as to how entertaining a high flying match can and should be. He is a legend, revered in Japan, Forgotten elsewhere purely remembered for the Green Mist.
wwe magazine said Daniel Bryan said that he was the new Great muta
sabufan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 3
sabufan101 50 - 100
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

another forgotten legend but i bet you know him Stu Hart
sabufan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,377
theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabufan101 View Post
wwe magazine said Daniel Bryan said that he was the new Great muta
Great Muta is still wrestling around, maybe he could have a short feud with DBry to show him some of his moves.
__________________
Don't fear the axe, fear the man holding it!

Spoiler for TIMBER!:
theidealstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, son, and you're just doing reruns.
 
Elipses Corter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,211
Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500Elipses Corter 9001 - 9500
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

Man, 1 of my favorites as a kid (eventhough he often feuded with Sting), Muta was 1 of the first wrestlers I've seen perform. IMO, GOAT Japanese talent. Like I said months back in another thread, Muta would have fit in perfect in WWE in '94-'95, when Bret was at the top. I'd much rather have seen him over Hakushi.

Last match I seen from Muta was a few years back, where he came and worked PWG's Kurt Russell Reunion and despite all the rumors I heard about his knees being fucked from years of moonsaults, Muta worked a great match, with his traditional style and was in great shape. IMO, he's the Hogan of Japan.

Muta & Sting are the only 2 guys I regret not seeing given a WWE run. And I feel WWE disrespected Muta with the Lord Tensai gimmick but I digress. Muta is without a doubt 1 of my all time favorites, ranks high on my GOAT list and IMO, is the GOAT of Japan.
Elipses Corter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Lex Express 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 308
Lex Express 12 is not that liked
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

It is depressing for me when i think of that 1 day run with Vampiro as WCW tag team champions. Of all the teams they could lose them to, why Kronik!
__________________
Not removing until-

- Ryback is released or wins a title
- Fandango wins a title
- The Wyatt family win Tag Titles
- TNA uses or retired the television title
Lex Express 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
COPkilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 204
COPkilla 101 - 250COPkilla 101 - 250
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

He is hardly forgotten. JR always used to mention him on commentary, he was one of the stars of Bloodstained Memoirs and he is still going strong in Japan today. I can see him going in the WWE HOF for sure, due to his WCW days and matches with Sting and Flair.
COPkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,911
jcmmnx 1001 - 1500jcmmnx 1001 - 1500jcmmnx 1001 - 1500jcmmnx 1001 - 1500jcmmnx 1001 - 1500jcmmnx 1001 - 1500jcmmnx 1001 - 1500jcmmnx 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Forgotten Legends68: The Great Muta

Muta's 89 run in the NWA was one of my favorite things in wrestling.
jcmmnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios