Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,398
theidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serious
Default Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

The face, an All American who comes in and waves the American flag prompting the people to chant U.S.A while the heel makes an entrance waving a Canadian/Iranian/Iraq/Indian flag wearing a turban or Keffiyeh acting like he is proudly waving that flag when he in reality would be a American citizen but yet running down the country calling his "own" country superior and on and on..

Be it Sgt Slaughter or Iron Sheik or the Original Sheik or Bret Hart, this has been a standard formula for heel till Jinder Mahal while the face, will be a good upright all american no matter he tears off his yellow tee or talks about Hustle, Loyalty and Respect; this has been sort of unwritten rule. The cliche is not limited to this and there are many more.

Do you think this shows lack of creativity when it comes to creating villains especially and which particular Cliches do you hate?

To the old timers, When did this cliche get started and how well do you think this works?
__________________
Don't fear the axe, fear the man holding it!

Spoiler for TIMBER!:

Last edited by theidealstranger : 10-14-2012 at 10:35 AM.
theidealstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
For the benefit of those with flash photography
 
The Manowarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where The Lines Overlap
Posts: 8,860
The Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth readingThe Manowarrior has posts worth reading
Default Re: Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

Hulk Hogan vs Sgt. Slaughter feud was a classic fight between face vs heel/good vs evil. Good times, good times.
__________________
I accept Hayley Williams rep.

The Manowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ignoring SCOTT STIENER
 
CruzControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Titan Tower
Posts: 954
CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl
Default Re: Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

It's just an easy way to put two guys in a feud. Get a Canadian to play an Indian and have him fight a Merkin.
__________________
CruzControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
DBizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 696
DBizzle needs to take rep more seriousDBizzle needs to take rep more seriousDBizzle needs to take rep more seriousDBizzle needs to take rep more seriousDBizzle needs to take rep more seriousDBizzle needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealstranger View Post
The face, an All American who comes in and waves the American flag prompting the people to chant U.S.A while the heel makes an entrance waving a Canadian/Iranian/Iraq/Indian flag wearing a turban or Keffiyeh acting like he is proudly waving that flag when he in reality would be a American citizen but yet running down the country calling his "own" country superior and on and on..

Be it Sgt Slaughter or Iron Sheik or the Original Sheik or Bret Hart, this has been a standard formula for heel till Jinder Mahal while the face, will be a good upright all american no matter he tears off his yellow tee or talks about Hustle, Loyalty and Respect; this has been sort of unwritten rule. The cliche is not limited to this and there are many more.

Do you think this shows lack of creativity when it comes to creating villains especially and which particular Cliches do you hate?

To the old timers, When did this cliche get started and how well do you think this works?
This cliche is as old as wrestling. I started watching in the 80s and it was the "formula". I think it became cliched in the early 90's, not just because it was getting tired, but because it was the culture at the time. The early 90's was a sort of cultural rebellion against the sharply defined lines of the 80s. Wrestling got sucked into that a little bit.
__________________
I've been in the Danger Zone! He's got a Bicycle! Minus! Five! Stars! FAT ASSES! Mongo! Huh? Yappapi! WE COMING FOR YOU .....! Super Dragon! (CZW Airhorn) Oh shi- Jeff Harvey. How Much Does This Guy Weigh? Hahaha! Play! Wanna Play 21? FAKKEN!

DBizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,398
theidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serioustheidealstranger needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwecruz View Post
It's just an easy way to put two guys in a feud. Get a Canadian to play an Indian and have him fight a Merkin.
Yes, in a way, lack of creativity would you say? Does the cliche bore you or do you merely see it as a formula that always works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBizzle View Post
This cliche is as old as wrestling. I started watching in the 80s and it was the "formula". I think it became cliched in the early 90's, not just because it was getting tired, but because it was the culture at the time. The early 90's was a sort of cultural rebellion against the sharply defined lines of the 80s. Wrestling got sucked into that a little bit.
Yeah, the cliches blurred with the advent of Attitude Era if I am not wrong for even Luger/Yokozuna angle was pretty much the same and then things went on to become grey rather than black and white and we got plethora of characters like Kane, Mankind, Taker, Goldust, Austin, Rock who did not succumb to the formula if I am not wrong. But I feel we are going back to the formula days with Jinder Mahal, ADR, Cena and Ryback. Would appreciate your thoughts on this.
__________________
Don't fear the axe, fear the man holding it!

Spoiler for TIMBER!:
theidealstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ignoring SCOTT STIENER
 
CruzControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Titan Tower
Posts: 954
CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl CruzControl
Default Re: Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealstranger View Post
Yes, in a way, lack of creativity would you say? Does the cliche bore you or do you merely see it as a formula that always works.
Lack of creativity? Yes. It's kind of like a cop-out.

But entertainment wise, it depends on the characters. Muhammad Hassan was GOLD, while Kenzo Suzuki was a dud.

I see it like a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda thing.
__________________
CruzControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
 
Greenlawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 2,237
Greenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

The flag waiving gimmick dates back to long ago, mainly post World War 2. There were dozens of Japanese heels, and even more German heels. It worked back then.

In Mexico the Mexico vs the World angle was used to a greater extent. Pretty much every champion in Mexico rudo or technico was put up against an American or Japanese heel, to legitimize their run.

The deal with Slauhter in 824 was different. The Iran hostage crises amped that fued up especially since Slaughter was using the Marine gimmick.

In my opinion most gimmick boil down to good vs evil (with the Attitude era exception) the foreigners are not just guys from different countries, they are guys who play the heel. So there is really little difference to me unless there is an emotional attatchment to the fued. The Brett Hart, Canada thing took off because of the fans emotional reaction.
Greenlawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios