Forgotten Legends65: Dick the Bruiser - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Forgotten Legends65: Dick the Bruiser

Standing at 6'1'' and 261 pounds, he did in 1954 what Ryback today and Goldberg a decade and half back did purely based on his promos, aggressive demeanor plus facial expression, voice and huge well built traps. He was defeated only once on TV during that time by Cowboy Bob Ellis which he avenged twice over.

He started in the television era around Detroit area squashing jobbers every Thursday going on become the World's most dangerous wrestler. He went on to the business side and bought NWA territory renaming it WWA becoming it's champion and running a deal with AWA who, like WWA broke out. They shared titles and talent and rose to prominence together and he had a good run as a tag team specialist with the Crusher. He named Bobby Heenan as The Weasel in a promo, a name that stuck for a long time.

He shutdown WWA finally getting tired of fighting WWF's money losing talent, TV time and attendance records to them. He briefly worked for WCW before his death.

Having won over 45 titles, running his own promotion, building the first unstoppable gimmick and working it perfectly through his matches and promos, he is a forgotten legendary heel.

Spoiler for Give the guy a break:
theidealstranger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Humbled
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
   
Re: Forgotten Legends65: Dick the bruiser

He was before my time but my dad used to say he was a beast in the ring
Shutthehellup is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
 
Greenlawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
                     
Re: Forgotten Legends65: Dick the bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealstranger View Post
Standing at 6'1'' and 261 pounds, he did in 1954 what Ryback today and Goldberg a decade and half back did purely based on his promos, aggressive demeanor plus facial expression, voice and huge well built traps. He was defeated only once on TV during that time by Cowboy Bob Ellis which he avenged twice over.

He started in the television era around Detroit area squashing jobbers every Thursday going on become the World's most dangerous wrestler. He went on to the business side and bought NWA territory renaming it WWA becoming it's champion and running a deal with AWA who, like WWA broke out. They shared titles and talent and rose to prominence together and he had a good run as a tag team specialist with the Crusher. He named Bobby Heenan as The Weasel in a promo, a name that stuck for a long time.

He shutdown WWA finally getting tired of fighting WWF's money losing talent, TV time and attendance records to them. He briefly worked for WCW before his death.

Having won over 45 titles, running his own promotion, building the first unstoppable gimmick and working it perfectly through his matches and promos, he is a forgotten legendary heel.
Dick was also a former Green Bay Packer. He played on some of the awful pre-Lombardi teams.

He probably was a top ten attraction in the late 1960's and early 70's. He and Crusher remained one of the top tag teams till right up until 1984 or so. I can remember they were always the number 1,2 or 3 tag team in the Apter mag rankings for almost 20 years.

I will always remember a match from like 1985 where he and Crusher came out to the "Beer Barrell Polka" they were still big dudes, and tough as nails, but then "Iron Man" hit and the Road Warriors walked down the aisle. I think every wrestling fan in the world realized right then things were changing. The AWA had no one who was going to compete with the Road Warriors. Even though the Road Warriors considered the AWA "home", and they were wrestling for the AWA fans still thought of them as Georgia NWA creations. When they walked down that aisle, the AWA looked old and Verne knew it. They had been throwing combinations of Von Rashcke, Blackwell, Larry The Axe Henning, and whoever else they had on the roster at the Warriors but on that night, it was painfully obvious Crusher and Brusier needed to retire. A new era had begun, and the AWA was going to die.

Verne tried to bring in the Freebirds and the Fabulous Ones to off set this but it was too late the impression had been made. The AWA was old man wrestling. The WWF and NWA were going to bury them.
Greenlawler is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
           
Re: Forgotten Legends65: Dick the bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutthehellup View Post
He was before my time but my dad used to say he was a beast in the ring
Oh based on the squash matches I saw in youtube, he was a real damn Beast for his relatively small size considering the character he was playing.

A squash match



Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
Dick was also a former Green Bay Packer. He played on some of the awful pre-Lombardi teams.

He probably was a top ten attraction in the late 1960's and early 70's. He and Crusher remained one of the top tag teams till right up until 1984 or so. I can remember they were always the number 1,2 or 3 tag team in the Apter mag rankings for almost 20 years.

I will always remember a match from like 1985 where he and Crusher came out to the "Beer Barrell Polka" they were still big dudes, and tough as nails, but then "Iron Man" hit and the Road Warriors walked down the aisle. I think every wrestling fan in the world realized right then things were changing. The AWA had no one who was going to compete with the Road Warriors. Even though the Road Warriors considered the AWA "home", and they were wrestling for the AWA fans still thought of them as Georgia NWA creations. When they walked down that aisle, the AWA looked old and Verne knew it. They had been throwing combinations of Von Rashcke, Blackwell, Larry The Axe Henning, and whoever else they had on the roster at the Warriors but on that night, it was painfully obvious Crusher and Brusier needed to retire. A new era had begun, and the AWA was going to die.

Verne tried to bring in the Freebirds and the Fabulous Ones to off set this but it was too late the impression had been made. The AWA was old man wrestling. The WWF and NWA were going to bury them.
I was led to believe based on what I read that AWA was plugged because of Vince pulling out all the major talent from under starting from Hogan to Ventura to Heenan.

Spoiler for Give the guy a break:
theidealstranger is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Evil Neville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: ...it had to start somewhere.
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
     
Re: Forgotten Legends65: Dick the bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
Dick was also a former Green Bay Packer. He played on some of the awful pre-Lombardi teams.

He probably was a top ten attraction in the late 1960's and early 70's. He and Crusher remained one of the top tag teams till right up until 1984 or so. I can remember they were always the number 1,2 or 3 tag team in the Apter mag rankings for almost 20 years.

I will always remember a match from like 1985 where he and Crusher came out to the "Beer Barrell Polka" they were still big dudes, and tough as nails, but then "Iron Man" hit and the Road Warriors walked down the aisle. I think every wrestling fan in the world realized right then things were changing. The AWA had no one who was going to compete with the Road Warriors. Even though the Road Warriors considered the AWA "home", and they were wrestling for the AWA fans still thought of them as Georgia NWA creations. When they walked down that aisle, the AWA looked old and Verne knew it. They had been throwing combinations of Von Rashcke, Blackwell, Larry The Axe Henning, and whoever else they had on the roster at the Warriors but on that night, it was painfully obvious Crusher and Brusier needed to retire. A new era had begun, and the AWA was going to die.

Verne tried to bring in the Freebirds and the Fabulous Ones to off set this but it was too late the impression had been made. The AWA was old man wrestling. The WWF and NWA were going to bury them.
Why can't there be more things like this to read here?

Anyway, maybe it's weird, but whenever i think about Bruiser, the first thing that crosses my mind is the way the poor sonofabitch died. Fuckin bullshit.

No.

Last edited by Evil Neville; 10-09-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Evil Neville is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
 
Greenlawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
                     
Re: Forgotten Legends65: Dick the bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealstranger View Post
Oh based on the squash matches I saw in youtube, he was a real damn Beast for his relatively small size considering the character he was playing.

A squash match





I was led to believe based on what I read that AWA was plugged because of Vince pulling out all the major talent from under starting from Hogan to Ventura to Heenan.

Yes that was certainly part of it, but just because Hogan, Adonis, Okerlund and Ventura left it did not mean the AWA was dead. That is more of that WWF revisionist history.
They like to take credit for destroying the AWA. Truth be told the AWA was as much responsible for its own demise as the WWF.

Here is the reality of what was happening: The AWA had the corner on some big markets, Chicago, Las Vegas, Millwaukee, St Paul/Minneapolis and they were holding their own. They got a deal with ESPN, and in spite of loosing Hogan they had the Road Warriors, Sgt Slaughter, and some really good upcoming talents but they put all their chips in the "proven stars" basket and they hardly developed anyone other than guys who were already way passed their prime. They had Slaughter, but never let him win the title, they had Scott Hall but made him a tag team with Curt Henning who still looked like a baby then. Verne wanted his son Greg, Bockwinkle, Bruser, Crusher, Von Rashcke, and Kasey to still dominate his company. When the Warriors came in it literally changed the perception overnight. It was like we all realized these dudes were old. Having Martel as champ did not help at all, he could not hardly speak English.

To me the nail in the coffin was in fact the ESPN show, which highlighted a stream of older talent. They took what should have been a win for the company and made it a bust by rarely showing competitive matches,featuring outdated camera work, and having very few charismatic stars. As soon as the WWF would release someone like Adonis, Garvin or Orton,the AWA would snatch them up and in spite of the fact that they were all considered mid card guys who were not charasmatic on their own. By this time all were approaching advanced years for wrestlers. This only excelerated the death. As the product began to really deteriorate by 1987 the AWA got desperate. I think you guys all know what happened from here. But in summary the WWF probably helped the AWA crawl to its death but the AWA was just as responsible with their booking choices, obviously one of the major ones being not putting the belt on Hogan.

Last edited by Greenlawler; 10-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Greenlawler is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
Re: Forgotten Legends65: Dick the Bruiser

Bruiser is still well known in his home area's but he suffers a lot like most 70's guys do because there isn't a lot out there. With WWE airing old AWA recently, it might help to spark his memory. He also had the misfortune of not doing much for Vince and being the head of a long dead promotion.

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/

My new wrestling blog

Currently featuring:
WEEKLY WWE, TNA, ROH AND JAPANESE REVIEWS
rzombie1988 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome