Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype? - Page 9 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #81 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 172
TheFlyingAsterix is an after thought
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

Lol fans cheered Goldberg more than Austin and The Rock back then.
TheFlyingAsterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #82 (permalink)
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 59
B-balltm B-balltm
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
Y'all in denial. Stevie Wonder can see that was a shitty wrestler. Cena can have a good match dragged out of him. Bret couldn't even drag a good match out of Goldberg.

Dude be serious, the streak made Goldberg. Thats what got him all his acclaim, because it damns sure wasn't mic skills or wrestling ability. It was anticipated because people wanted to see Goldberg come out & fuck shit up, it's all he was good at. That didn't happen and the Goldberg appeal was lost because that was his gimmick, to fuck shit up. He wasn't fucking shit up in WWE because their star power is on a different level. Guys got over on their look, talent, abilities, mic skills, a lot more then what Goldberg had to offer.

Again, fans wanted to see the monster, the machine, the guy who runs through the entire roster. Instead, we got the '99-'01 Goldberg, which was a completely different guy then what he got from '98-mid '99. What ruined him then was his dumbness. Sure, it was a reincarnation but the NWO revival was supposed to keep Goldberg going as a monster but he hurt himself. He comes back, turns heel (which got no interest from the fans) and when WCW realizes that, they have him feud with Russo, which was a ripoff of Austin/McMahon.

Anticipation of a debut means nothing in the grand scheme. If you can't live up to the hype, it was bust. Goldberg in WWE was bust. It's all about how you're booked. The best Goldberg could ever look was the way he was booked all the way until he fucked his arm up. Nothing else could of topped that. Which means, he was a one trick pony.

No way Goldberg is a better wrestler than Cena. Working with Cena seems to be pretty easy. Goldberg was green as baby shit and ended a career, all because he never developed actual wrestling ability and relied on power. Don't bring up the 5 knuckle shuffle and act like that covers Cena's whole career. Cena, for the first 2-3 years of his career, was an exceptional wrestler, miles ahead of Goldberg, who was injury prone. My theory is, if Bret can't drag a good match out of you, you really suck as a wrestler.
Goldberg's look, charisma and ring-performance ability is what made the streak possible, and why it was a huge success. WCW didn't originally plan on booking him that way. They just saw how increasingly over he was getting with the fans each week, and chose to ride the wave out. That's why I say "Goldberg made the streak".

According to you, Goldberg "lost his appeal" after the streak was over. How could he have lost his appeal if he was still arguably the most over star 5 years later? The fact that he went over WWE's #1 star in his debut match and was placed in the World Title picture a month later says it all.

You claim his WWE career was a "bust". In what world? He defeated The Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar and held the World Title for several months.

Last edited by B-balltm : 10-12-2012 at 06:16 AM.
B-balltm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #83 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Smif-N-Wessun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The 36 Chambers
Posts: 1,420
Smif-N-Wessun needs to make some friendsSmif-N-Wessun needs to make some friendsSmif-N-Wessun needs to make some friendsSmif-N-Wessun needs to make some friendsSmif-N-Wessun needs to make some friendsSmif-N-Wessun needs to make some friendsSmif-N-Wessun needs to make some friendsSmif-N-Wessun needs to make some friends
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

The sky's blue, water's wet, Goldberg was a star. Period, b. He definitely aint a better worker than Cena, but dude earned his push by bein that fuckin over. The gawd aint a fan, but he earned the fuck outta that push.
__________________

^furious, projects self-image onto others^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
“Kevin Nash is right. Smaller guys don’t draw. I mean who would pay any money to watch itty bitty guys like Mayweather or Paquiao?"
Talent/charisma draws. Not size.
Smif-N-Wessun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #84 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,833
austin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missed
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

Goldberg at his peak was as big a star as anybody excluding four or five people in the history of pro-wrestling
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #85 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,833
austin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missed
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

Goldberg beat HHH during his run with Evolution,Rock who went over Hogan and Austin and Lesnar.

Goldberg was a huge star,no doubts
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #86 (permalink)
Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, son, and you're just doing reruns.
 
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,602
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-balltm View Post
Goldberg's look, charisma and ring-performance ability is what made the streak possible, and why it was a huge success. WCW didn't originally plan on booking him that way. They just saw how increasingly over he was getting with the fans each week, and chose to ride the wave out. That's why I say "Goldberg made the streak".

According to you, Goldberg "lost his appeal" after the streak was over. How could he have lost his appeal if he was still arguably the most over star 5 years later? The fact that he went over WWE's #1 star in his debut match and was placed in the World Title picture a month later says it all.

You claim his WWE career was a "bust". In what world? He defeated The Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar and held the World Title for several months.
The whole "mystique" about Goldberg was him coming out & fucking shit up. After the streak ended, that was over. He was more tame and at that point, was just average. You bring up the fact that he was the most over star 5 years later? What does that mean? It doesn't hide the fact he was a shit wrestler and relied on the legend of the streak to get & remain over.

And seriously, he didn't make the streak. He was in the right place at the right time. WCW couldn't ignore the fans, who in reality, made Goldberg who he was. He was over because he did something rare and thats destroy everybody.

Goldberg came into the WWE over as fuck and 1 year later, nobody gave a shit about him. And the only reason he was over and succeeded was he had an NWO-like faction to feud with, Evolution. It's no interest seeing Goldberg feud with 1 man and struggle, when he's taken out stables in the past. Title wins mean nothing, for us fans. Fact is WCW booked him like a monster, WWE booked him like a typical former WCW guy. Thats like saying Ric Flair's WWE run in 91-93 was amazing, simply because he was a 2 time champion. It's not impossible to be champion but booked to look weak in the process or not fully utilized. Goldberg wasn't used to his full potential because he met it already, 4 years prior and in comparison, his WWE run was a bust because at that point, he was just another guy and treated as such.

Doesn't matter who he beat, the only big time matches available were HHH, Rock and Lesnar. Everything else was filler, just like the streak because when a man is brought up the ranks, based on 1 attribute, the payoff leaves a lot to be desired. You know he has to lose and then what, feud with the same guy forever? Drop down the card?

And quit taking things out of context, I can only speak for myself and for me, the appeal was lost when the streak ended. Oddly enough, many in this thread agree with me. Goldberg was hyped to the moon, like every big time guy. Unlike others, Goldberg had to rely on that hype because he lacked simply wrestling skills to take him further than he went. Only difference between him and Ahmed Johnson was charisma, otherwise, both were horrible, injury prone performers, had a lack of mic skills, lack of passion and didn't bother to improve at all. Hell, Luger was more complete than Goldberg.

Not saying he wasn't a star but no way anybody who knows anything about wrestling will list Goldberg as a top 5 WCW "wrestler" or will say he's a better wrestler than Cena. Goldberg wasn't that damn good at all.
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #87 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,833
austin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missed
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

^Charisma is the most important thing in this business.

He had plenty of it.
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #88 (permalink)
Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, son, and you're just doing reruns.
 
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,602
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin316 G.O.A.T View Post
^Charisma is the most important thing in this business.

He had plenty of it.
WTF does that have to do with him being a shitty, injury prone performer?

Billy Gunn had charisma. Look how far he got. Doesn't mean shit, it's all about the booking. The way he was booked in WCW was genius but no way WWE could top it without burying their entire roster and by the end of the streak, it was clear Goldberg needed more than that and charisma to be revealed. Put him in actual, longer matches and he injures one of the GOAT's.

But, we should ignore his lack of basic, simple wrestling skills because he had charisma and he squashed over 100 midcard guys and jobbers, right?
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #89 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,833
austin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missedaustin316 G.O.A.T probably won't be missed
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

^Cant argue much but for a short span,he was gold
austin316 G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #90 (permalink)
Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, son, and you're just doing reruns.
 
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,602
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselvesxoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin316 G.O.A.T View Post
^Cant argue much but for a short span,he was gold
True but only because of how he was booked and the whole having a fresh hero to take on the NWO. A lot of factors came into play besides what little talent Goldberg actually had.

But, people are giving him way too much credit when saying "most charismatic" and "top 5 in WCW".

And aren't you the guy that said he was a better wrestler than Cena?
xoxoPAiGEaNGELxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios