Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums

View Poll Results: The greatest GOAT of the two?

Bruno Sammartino 7 43.75%
Lou Thesz 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,374
theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000
Default Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Of the two, who would rate higher and for what particular reason? I would go with Bruno for he made it believable and had the size to back up all the tough guy image based on the following instances:

"While in Japan, Bruno had a confrontation with an up and coming Antonio Inoki in an Osaka tag match. At the urging of noted "shooter" Karl Gotch, Inoki attempted to slap a real submission hold on the World Champion and make him quit. Bruno immediately powered out of the hold, pounded Inoki unmercifully and pitched him out of the ring. Inoki ducked Bruno for the rest of the match."

and also managed to kick some CFL butt at 51.

You go with?
theidealstranger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
Mike Zybyszko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The school of hard knocks.
Posts: 2,145
Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Bruno was not a big guy at all. I doubt he's even 6 feet tall legit. More like 5'9".

Thesz takes this one easy as the NWA title was the top title till the 1980s by a long a shot. Thesz made that title by unifying several world titles into one super title. Thesz was also 2-0 versus Bruno head to head.
__________________
"If anyone asks you if you've paid your dues, you tell 'em the check is in the mail."

Not removing until:

[ ] Hulk Hogan vs Hawk Hogan
Mike Zybyszko is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
 
Greenlawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 1,888
Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Wow.....really? This is even a question? Thesz and it's not even close.

I am not sure there is a wrestling historian/expert on earth who would vote Bruno...No offense meant I mean we tend to put some of these legends on pedestals they really don't belong on.

Heck, Bruno would probably get a kick out of this.

95% of Bruno's matches were punches and rest holds. I know that was the style then but frankly Bruno was not on the same level as Thesz or even Buddy Rogers. Thesz was about the closest thing to a legit champion this business had. Plus he was an actual amatuer wrestler. As someone who actually watched both. I can say if you wanted to do Rogers vs Thesz sure....but not Bruno. Bruno is maybe a top 20 talent of all time...maybe. Thesz is a top 3.

BTW Thesz managed to wrestle great matches when he was in his late 60's.

Last edited by Greenlawler : 07-14-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Greenlawler is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,374
theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

More on Bruno as a tough man, reasons for me preferring him over Lou if I am given a choice:

"During this time, Bruno was involved in a shoot with Dr. Bill Miller. In a tag match with Tony Parisi against Miller and Baron Scicluna, Miller (who had a long amateur wrestling background) decided he would shoot on both Parisi and Bruno. After taking a beating in the ring, Parisi tagged out to Bruno. When Miller attempted to shoot on him, Bruno immediately snapped on a front facelock until Miller bled from his nose and passed out in the middle of the ring. Afterwards, Miller approached Bruno in the dressing room, shook his hand and profusely apologized."

More on their confrontation:

"Sammartino also wrestled NWA Champ Lou Thesz twice in Canada. One match ended in a draw and the other with Thesz scoring a fluke pin after a collision despite Sammartino controlling the 20 minute match from the beginning. Thesz recounted the matches as nothing special. Bruno has said in interviews that noted "shooter" Thesz did not try to take any advantage of him (as he often did in matches against wrestlers he did not like), but that he was prepared to respond in the event he did."

"Sammartino was so popular that in 1965 he was picked by the National Wrestling Alliance board to wrestle against the legendary Lou Thesz in a match for both the NWA and WWWF titles. Sammartino, already working an extremely busy schedule, refused the title match opportunity for fear that winning the title would make his schedule even more hectic. NWA officials then selected Gene Kiniski as Thesz's opponent and he went on to become the new NWA champion."

Last edited by theidealstranger : 07-15-2012 at 06:48 AM.
theidealstranger is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,224
Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Lou Thesz was NWA champion for so many years. Much bigger and better than being WWWF champion at the time. I am not from that time period but from what I read WWWF title was the North East territory. Thesz had the biggest prize in the world. He was also a bigger draw outside his territory unlike guys like Sammartino.

Even in the 50 greatest of all time lists today he should be ranked high.

Last edited by Dusty Roids : 07-15-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Dusty Roids is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
theidealstranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,374
theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000theidealstranger 501 - 1000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Roids View Post
Lou Thesz was NWA champion for so many years. Much bigger and better than being WWWF champion at the time. I am not from that time period but from what I read WWWF title was the North East territory. Thesz had the biggest prize in the world. He was also a bigger draw outside his territory unlike guys like Sammartino.

Even in the 50 greatest of all time lists today he should be ranked high.
yeah, from what i read Bruno was the one Vince Sr used to bring credibility and identity to WWWF.
theidealstranger is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
 
Greenlawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 1,888
Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealstranger View Post
yeah, from what i read Bruno was the one Vince Sr used to bring credibility and identity to WWWF.
Bruno was made champ more because he appealed to the large Italian-American population in the northeast.
Greenlawler is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....
 
Greenlawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The South
Posts: 1,888
Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000Greenlawler 1501 - 2000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Roids View Post
Lou Thesz was NWA champion for so many years. Much bigger and better than being WWWF champion at the time. I am not from that time period but from what I read WWWF title was the North East territory. Thesz had the biggest prize in the world. He was also a bigger draw outside his territory unlike guys like Sammartino.

Even in the 50 greatest of all time lists today he should be ranked high.
Like according to Meltzer

Thesz #2, Bruno not in the top 10.
Greenlawler is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
Mike Zybyszko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The school of hard knocks.
Posts: 2,145
Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000Mike Zybyszko 501 - 1000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealstranger View Post
More on Bruno as a tough man, reasons for me preferring him over Lou if I am given a choice:

"During this time, Bruno was involved in a shoot with Dr. Bill Miller. In a tag match with Tony Parisi against Miller and Baron Scicluna, Miller (who had a long amateur wrestling background) decided he would shoot on both Parisi and Bruno. After taking a beating in the ring, Parisi tagged out to Bruno. When Miller attempted to shoot on him, Bruno immediately snapped on a front facelock until Miller bled from his nose and passed out in the middle of the ring. Afterwards, Miller approached Bruno in the dressing room, shook his hand and profusely apologized."

More on their confrontation:

"Sammartino also wrestled NWA Champ Lou Thesz twice in Canada. One match ended in a draw and the other with Thesz scoring a fluke pin after a collision despite Sammartino controlling the 20 minute match from the beginning. Thesz recounted the matches as nothing special. Bruno has said in interviews that noted "shooter" Thesz did not try to take any advantage of him (as he often did in matches against wrestlers he did not like), but that he was prepared to respond in the event he did."

"Sammartino was so popular that in 1965 he was picked by the National Wrestling Alliance board to wrestle against the legendary Lou Thesz in a match for both the NWA and WWWF titles. Sammartino, already working an extremely busy schedule, refused the title match opportunity for fear that winning the title would make his schedule even more hectic. NWA officials then selected Gene Kiniski as Thesz's opponent and he went on to become the new NWA champion."
Thesz would have tied Bruno into a pretzel had a shoot taken place. Just because Thesz could beat the crap out of 99.9% of the people on the planet in his day does not mean he shot on everyone he wrestled. Bruno was a fake brawler while Thesz was a legit shoot wrestler. Thesz would have competed today in MMA and excelled at it were he young enough.

In a fight between the two, Bruno's only hope is to get a lucky KO because its only a matter of time before Thesz gets a hold of him and puts him in the hospital.
__________________
"If anyone asks you if you've paid your dues, you tell 'em the check is in the mail."

Not removing until:

[ ] Hulk Hogan vs Hawk Hogan
Mike Zybyszko is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,224
Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000Dusty Roids 501 - 1000
Default Re: Lou Thesz vs Bruno Sammartino



what a champion he was. almost 8 years undefeated as world champion.

What I wondered was how much did these men, Thesz or Sammartino have earned in their long careers. Without much television involved but always on top in their leagues. Anyone know if Sammartino is financial independant? And how about Thesz did he passed away wealthy? Did the draftic changes in the business led to some finanial losses for these men or not?
Dusty Roids is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios