Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated? - Page 2 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums

View Poll Results: Was Savage vs. Steamboat overrated?

Yes. 25 44.64%
No. 31 55.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Getting over in the mid-card
 
dave 1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,765
dave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a pushdave 1981 is getting a push
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

I wouldn't say it was overrated but more a case of it being a proper wrestling match at a time when WWE cared less about in ring quality and more so storylines and character persona for their build up towards a PPV match. Savage/Steamboat will always stand out from that era because it was unlike any other match from that era and was a much more NWA/JCP style match instead of a WWE match. A lot of people like Chris Jericho have said it was the match that made him want to be a wrestler because of it's in ring quality and this was because they just went out there and had a great wrestling match.

People who grew up watching WWE probably weren't used to seeing matches like that but i grew up a NWA/JCP fan so had seen a lot of matches that were like that which is why i've always put more emphasis on in ring quality. Watching people like Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Barry Windham, Arn Anderson, The Great Muta, The Steiners and The Midnight Express i'd get to see much longer matches with a much more technical emphasis rather than big man matches that WWE always seemed to do so much like matches like Michaels/Hart at WrestleMania 12, Bret/Owen at WrestleMania 10 and Michaels/Hennig at Summerslam in 1993 all stand out from their era because of the style of the match it is the same with Savage/Steamboat at WrestleMania 3.
__________________
dave 1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Dread Lord of Apokolips
 
Tyrion Lannister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The $9.99 cent store
Posts: 73,476
Tyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inductee
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk-In View Post
Well, I don't want to hijack this thread but I disagree completely. I don't even think Bret/Owen was the best match ON THAT NIGHT. So, yeah...

I feel like a lot of people overrate Owen Hart because he died tragically at a young age.
I wouldn't call it hijacking the thread when we're talking about a match and we're comparing matches. Whatevs...

It's not the best match on that night, that was obviously the ladder match. That doesn't mean it's not better than Steamboat vs Savage. I don't think it has anything to do with Owen's death, either. What, because he died, he's not allowed to have a good match? I don't like Owen or Bret or any Hart for that matter but it was still a good match.

Steamboat vs Savage is ridiculously average. I've seen better matches on Raw and SmackDown.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissiks, on Roman Reigns View Post
i can't take any wrestler, who needs creative to marginalize the entire product to make him look better than what he is, seriously.

Last edited by Tyrion Lannister : 06-25-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Tyrion Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Winning World titles, Custom Made Clothes
 
just1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bolton, England
Posts: 15,638
just1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth readingjust1988 has posts worth reading
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

I really do think it's over-rated but you have to view it in perspective, that this match happened in the 1980's and was much better than other matches happening at the time, so from that aspect it's still a classic. It just doesn't really stand up to modern pro-wrestling.
__________________

COME ON IN, ADD, FOLLOW AND SUBSCRIBE


Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/anwar.thinks
Twitter: http://twitter.com/anwar_thinks
just1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Moron
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.”
Posts: 5,127
Coffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a pushCoffey is getting a push
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
Steamboat vs Savage is ridiculously average. I've seen better matches on Raw and SmackDown.
This might be true and I won't argue if you feel that way but the landscape of professional wrestling had changed completely. You weren't watching better matches on RAW and Smackdown in 1987 WWF. The era and time frame definitely matters. If that Savage/Steamboat match happened in, say, 1999, it would have been a good PPV match but that was it. Not super critically acclaimed. But because it happened in 1987 while being surrounded by shit like The Iron Sheik & Nicolai Volkoff Vs. The Killer Bees makes it stand out more.
Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
GET MY BAGS
 
Yeah1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BOB BACKLUND
Posts: 9,480
Yeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREWYeah1993 is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk-In View Post
If that Savage/Steamboat match happened in, say, 1999, it would have been a good PPV match but that was it. Not super critically acclaimed.
WWF 1999 as an in ring year absolutely fucking sucked and there's no doubt in my mind it would have blown people away if a match like Steamboat/Savage happened then.

Also, I've always thought the talk of it standing out because it was surrounded by lesser stuff is crap. Flair/Steamboat happened when there were great matches happening left and right in the NWA and they were still praised to high hell. The 'era' talk has always been bullshit to me. Steamboat/Savage would have been a great match in 2012 the same way Cena/Lesnar would have been a great match if it happened in 1987.
__________________
Yeah1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Dread Lord of Apokolips
 
Tyrion Lannister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The $9.99 cent store
Posts: 73,476
Tyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inducteeTyrion Lannister is a HOF inductee
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk-In View Post
This might be true and I won't argue if you feel that way but the landscape of professional wrestling had changed completely. You weren't watching better matches on RAW and Smackdown in 1987 WWF. The era and time frame definitely matters. If that Savage/Steamboat match happened in, say, 1999, it would have been a good PPV match but that was it. Not super critically acclaimed. But because it happened in 1987 while being surrounded by shit like The Iron Sheik & Nicolai Volkoff Vs. The Killer Bees makes it stand out more.
That still doesn't actually make it a better match. Looking better because you're surrounded by crap is just looking better because you're surrounded by crap. The match would be as average today as it was back then, except if it happened today, nobody would ever notice.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissiks, on Roman Reigns View Post
i can't take any wrestler, who needs creative to marginalize the entire product to make him look better than what he is, seriously.
Tyrion Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Humbled
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,224
Dusty Roids needs to take rep more seriousDusty Roids needs to take rep more seriousDusty Roids needs to take rep more seriousDusty Roids needs to take rep more seriousDusty Roids needs to take rep more seriousDusty Roids needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

It was a pretty good match but I don't think it belongs with the greatest 5 star matches. Both Savage and Steamboat had better matches with other opponents and there are other IC title matches that were better than this one. So in my view it is a great match especially considering the card it is on but I don't consider it as good as some claim. So I guess it's kind of overrated.
Dusty Roids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
Hades1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,620
Hades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friendsHades1313 needs to make some friends
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1988 View Post
I really do think it's over-rated but you have to view it in perspective, that this match happened in the 1980's and was much better than other matches happening at the time, so from that aspect it's still a classic. It just doesn't really stand up to modern pro-wrestling.
This is exactly right. At the time it was the best match ever, but then matches like Bret vs Owen, HBK vs Hall ladder match, Taker vs Mankind HIC all make Savage vs Steamboat look above average.
Hades1313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Fid
Paul Heyman Guy
 
Fid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mooresville, IN
Posts: 3,590
Fid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new hereFid better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

Overrated? Yes. Good match? Yes. As much as the next guy who grew up with mainly WWF as far as wrestling went. Steamboat/Savage was a classic match and I still enjoy it to this day. It was something different from a standpoint in 1987 for the WWF. However, with things like the George Steele involvement and the roll-up finish. I could pass on both of those, especially the finish. For guys like Steamboat and Savage, I'm sure they could of thought of a better finish than that.

When it comes to their careers though, it wasn't their best match. It was a great match and it was fun to watch. Both of them had better matches than that. But I do think it was the best actual match on the WrestleMania III card.
__________________

STAND BACK!
Fid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Getting over in the mid-card
 
bigdog40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,633
bigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missedbigdog40 probably won't be missed
Default Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - Overrated?

If you want to talk about best matches in Wrestlemania history, it's top 5 or 10 easily. The match was fitting for it's time, remember Savage and Steamboat were the only one's that use the top rope back then. It's not my favorite match of all time, but it was a basic match, yet everything flowed so smoothly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_guy View Post
People complain about newer talent not getting over, but what they mean is that their favourite isn't getting over, everyone else can go to hell. I'm for as many people getting over as possible, it would improve the show and the more over people there are, the more avenues there are to push new talent, yes, your favourites are more likely to get pushed if there are more over people to feud with.
bigdog40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios