Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling? - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply

Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Patience .... will always reward you!
 
Arrogantly Grateful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 8,841
Arrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missed
Default Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?



Honestly, I don't overly know much about David Arquette's run in the wrestling world though I know he did have a run in WCW after Ready To Rumble and winning a title, but what was this about and why?

As I say, I've not really seen that much of it, so don't know what to think about it, however it does make me think about the fact that he's not actually a trained wrestler (acting and wrestling are two completely different things, despite what some people may think on the surface) and not only that, I think about all the great talents that work hard and would give their everything to be in one of these organisations.

Of course I get it, in regards to bringing in ratings and viewers, this is how the WWE went mainstream originally by Vince's use of the media and celebrity's at the first Wrestlemania, but other than that, I don't really 'get' why he was pushed to the degree it seemed such as winning titles and things like that.

So what are your thoughts in regards to this, I'd be interested to hear some vibes from you guys, he seemed to have more involvement than what you'd expect from a celeb, specially considering they pushed a title run on him, which most talents are to earn these through the companies (outside of Kayfabe).
__________________


Come on Vince induct Rick 'The Model' Martel into the Hall Of Fame dude!

Look up the term wrestler in the dictionary and it will simply say Dean Ambrose

Look up natural beauty, you will truly find Paige.

"Here we go again give you more nothing lesser, back on the mic it's the anti depressor, Ad-Rock, no pressure yes you need this, the best is yet to come and yes believe this" - Beastie Boys

Dear WWE NETWORK please add some of the old school
SUPERSTARS, PRIME TIME and WRESTLING CHALLENGE episodes.


Arrogantly Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,047
LordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

Because a) David Arquette's a celebrity and wrestling promotions love celebrities and b) David was and probably still is a huge wrestling fan who probably dreamed as a kid of one day working for a wrestling company and he got that opportunity.

Last edited by LordKain : 06-23-2014 at 07:19 PM.
LordKain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Patience .... will always reward you!
 
Arrogantly Grateful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 8,841
Arrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missed
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKain View Post
Because a) David Arquette's a celebrity and wrestling promotions love celebrities and b) David was and probably still is a huge wrestling fan who probably dreamed as a kid of one day working for a wrestling company.
I don't have a problem with this, but so are many celebrities, but they'd never really allow them to work the ring, specially considering the amount of training it takes to be a professional wrestler, alongside the fact that there are wrestlers working for years that are very good at what they do and don't really get a look in.

I explained in the OP about the celebrities thing, but I'm on about more about how deeply involved he became in the product, as opposed to normal (for obvious reasons).
__________________


Come on Vince induct Rick 'The Model' Martel into the Hall Of Fame dude!

Look up the term wrestler in the dictionary and it will simply say Dean Ambrose

Look up natural beauty, you will truly find Paige.

"Here we go again give you more nothing lesser, back on the mic it's the anti depressor, Ad-Rock, no pressure yes you need this, the best is yet to come and yes believe this" - Beastie Boys

Dear WWE NETWORK please add some of the old school
SUPERSTARS, PRIME TIME and WRESTLING CHALLENGE episodes.


Arrogantly Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Little Poppa Pump
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,047
LordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new hereLordKain better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogantly Grateful View Post
I don't have a problem with this, but so are many celebrities, but they'd never really allow them to work the ring, specially considering the amount of training it takes to be a professional wrestler, alongside the fact that there are wrestlers working for years that are very good at what they do and don't really get a look in.

I explained in the OP about the celebrities thing, but I'm on about more about how deeply involved he became in the product, as opposed to normal (for obvious reasons).
The funny this is David Arquette was never meant to be an in-ring performer. That's not what he was hired for fact he was hired just to be a rep for the company instead. It was Tony Schiavone's bright idea to have him be WCW champion which was something that Arquette himself was strong against but had to do it anyway otherwise he would of been sued by WCW for breach of contract.

Last edited by LordKain : 06-23-2014 at 07:27 PM.
LordKain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vince gives me a comedy gimmick
 
Rick_James's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,153
Rick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missedRick_James probably won't be missed
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

David Arquette actually pleaded to not win the title but they gave it to him anyways (he ended up giving the money he got to Owen Hart's family I believe). The idea originally came up as a joke from Tony Schivaone, but Vince Russo over heard it and actually considered it to be a good idea. From here, there's a few version of the story:

- Vince Russo states he covered this idea with all of the WCW bookers at the time and nobody thought it was a bad idea
- It's possible the bookers did think it was a bad idea, but let Russo "own" the idea so they could use it as leverage against him later
- Everyone thought it was a bad idea except for Russo, who used it anyway

Regardless of what actually transpired, the idea I think was a desperation tactic. The WCW title wasn't really valued by that point anyway, but on the flip side you can say that Arquette holding it pretty much killed it off. You got to keep in mind, *everything* WCW was doing was failing to help them bridge the ratings gap with the WWF, even though this was a bad idea on a lot of levels, I think the train of thought was that it would bring in lots of new viewers to the point where it was ok if the title's credibility took a hit.

The "Ready to Rumble" movie came out at the same time as this and Arquette was the lead character, and WCW was pushing the movie hard, if it was a hit, it could definitely bring in viewers, but from everything I heard, it pretty much flopped. The justification Russo used for this title reign was that Arquette won the title off of pinning Eric Bischoff, not that it makes anyone really change their mind on this atrocity lol.

I think part of the inspiration came from the fact that Vince McMahon in the WWF won the heavyweight title and the fans really had no sort of negative backlash from this event as well.

Long story short, yes it was an awful decision, but it's somewhat alleviated by the fact that WCW really did need to resort to desperate measures at this point, and at least they took a gamble, even if it failed beyond their imagination.
__________________
Not keeping it real in the streets
Rick_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maple Leaf Muscle
 
RugbyRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: England
Posts: 2,479
RugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friendsRugbyRat needs to make some friends
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

History really is written by the victors, it really wasn't as bad as some people make out.
RugbyRat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Patience .... will always reward you!
 
Arrogantly Grateful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 8,841
Arrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missedArrogantly Grateful probably won't be missed
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKain View Post
The funny this is David Arquette was never meant to be an in-ring performer. That's not what he was hired for fact he was hired just to be a rep for the company instead. It was Tony Schiavone's bright idea to have him be WCW champion which was something that Arquette himself was strong against but had to do it anyway otherwise he would of been sued by WCW for breach of contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_James View Post
David Arquette actually pleaded to not win the title but they gave it to him anyways (he ended up giving the money he got to Owen Hart's family I believe). The idea originally came up as a joke from Tony Schivaone, but Vince Russo over heard it and actually considered it to be a good idea. From here, there's a few version of the story:

- Vince Russo states he covered this idea with all of the WCW bookers at the time and nobody thought it was a bad idea
- It's possible the bookers did think it was a bad idea, but let Russo "own" the idea so they could use it as leverage against him later
- Everyone thought it was a bad idea except for Russo, who used it anyway

Regardless of what actually transpired, the idea I think was a desperation tactic. The WCW title wasn't really valued by that point anyway, but on the flip side you can say that Arquette holding it pretty much killed it off. You got to keep in mind, *everything* WCW was doing was failing to help them bridge the ratings gap with the WWF, even though this was a bad idea on a lot of levels, I think the train of thought was that it would bring in lots of new viewers to the point where it was ok if the title's credibility took a hit.

The "Ready to Rumble" movie came out at the same time as this and Arquette was the lead character, and WCW was pushing the movie hard, if it was a hit, it could definitely bring in viewers, but from everything I heard, it pretty much flopped. The justification Russo used for this title reign was that Arquette won the title off of pinning Eric Bischoff, not that it makes anyone really change their mind on this atrocity lol.

I think part of the inspiration came from the fact that Vince McMahon in the WWF won the heavyweight title and the fans really had no sort of negative backlash from this event as well.

Long story short, yes it was an awful decision, but it's somewhat alleviated by the fact that WCW really did need to resort to desperate measures at this point, and at least they took a gamble, even if it failed beyond their imagination.
Thanks guys, these were the kind of answers I was looking for, it all seemed pretty strange to me, other than of course the obvious ratings thing, which is what these celebrity's are used for within the product (give and take, they usually promote something and WWE can the fanbase of the celebs who are appearing), but this one seemed to be way far fetched, I couldn't imagine seeing this in the WWE or happening today, but then ... never say never lol
__________________


Come on Vince induct Rick 'The Model' Martel into the Hall Of Fame dude!

Look up the term wrestler in the dictionary and it will simply say Dean Ambrose

Look up natural beauty, you will truly find Paige.

"Here we go again give you more nothing lesser, back on the mic it's the anti depressor, Ad-Rock, no pressure yes you need this, the best is yet to come and yes believe this" - Beastie Boys

Dear WWE NETWORK please add some of the old school
SUPERSTARS, PRIME TIME and WRESTLING CHALLENGE episodes.


Arrogantly Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, son, and you're just doing reruns.
 
Elipses Corter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,344
Elipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth readingElipses Corter has posts worth reading
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

Contrary to popular belief, Russo shouldn't get any blame for that.


According to him, it was Schiavone's idea and to his credit, Russo did think it was a good idea. But before going through with it, he sought approval from everybody else, which he got. Problem came when the "backlash" began and everybody hid their hands and said it was all his idea.



Russo has his bad qualities, no doubt. But, this is one situation where he's the last guy that should get blamed. The backlash goes on whoever gave it the greenlight. They obviously thought it was a good idea because if they didn't, they would have squashed it just like they did Russo's attempt to give the belt to Tank in early 2000.


As far as Arquette goes, I always heard he tried his best to convince all involved that it was a bad idea. Either way, that's not Russo's fault.
Elipses Corter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Celebrating my first World title
 
RyanPelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belleville, Indiana
Posts: 14,027
RyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselvesRyanPelley is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

I'll never forget a couple of years ago, someone telling me that The Miz being United States Champion was exactly the same to Arquette being WCW Champion.
__________________

That has got to be Kane.
RyanPelley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
SOR
Searching for a new identity
 
SOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,509
SOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new hereSOR better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Why did David Arquette have such a predominant role in wrestling?

Arquette got the WCW Title for one reason. Publicity. Did it work? Yes. Ready To Rumble got publicity, WCW itself got publicity and it worked for that reason.

From a wrestling purist perspective it was a bad move because it made the belt look bad and Arquette shouldn't be fighting but it did work for what Russo wanted it to so it was semi successful.
SOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios