Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics - Page 8 - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:45 PM
HE'S FAT
 
Vic Capri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
                     
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Quote:
Can somebody show proof that Warrior flopped as champion?
He wasn't a flop, but he wasn't the drawing the numbers Vince wanted so Hogan was asked to come back and help out.

- Vic



August 17, 2014
The Greatest Night In The History Of Our Sport!
Vic Capri is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
         
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Many of the examples on the list are just of a heel having to cheat in order to beat Hogan. Is that not what happens more times than not any time that a heel beats a face for a title?
Billy8383 is offline  
post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Casemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Capri View Post
He wasn't a flop, but he wasn't the drawing the numbers Vince wanted so Hogan was asked to come back and help out.

- Vic
I frequently read that Warrior wasn't drawing good numbers. Does this refer to house shows? If so, did those house shows previously feature both Hogan AND The Ultimate Warrior? Were TV ratings a factor also?

There was no PPV between WM6 and SS90, so it can't be based on buyrates.

I'm actually legitimately curious. I'd like to gain a better understanding of it, because the PPV figures point to Warrior doing fine.

The thing I don't dig about the Warrior's title reign is how he started not wearing the full makeup and just doing the Warrior logos on his cheeks. That made him seem too "real," IMO.
Casemeister is offline  
post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Working on my abs
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                   
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemeister View Post
I frequently read that Warrior wasn't drawing good numbers. Does this refer to house shows? If so, did those house shows previously feature both Hogan AND The Ultimate Warrior? Were TV ratings a factor also?

There was no PPV between WM6 and SS90, so it can't be based on buyrates.

I'm actually legitimately curious. I'd like to gain a better understanding of it, because the PPV figures point to Warrior doing fine.

The thing I don't dig about the Warrior's title reign is how he started not wearing the full makeup and just doing the Warrior logos on his cheeks. That made him seem too "real," IMO.
Like you said, house shows and TV's previously to Mania featured both Hogan and Warrior. That's why the numbers for both went down after Mania when Hogan was gone.

To get a better understanding of Warrior as a draw, we only have to look at the Mania 6 buyrate because that was all about the "ULTIMATE Challenge". Warrior was the star of that show and the show was a huge success, drawing 560.000 buys on PPV, another 55.000 on CCTV and nearly 70.000 live at the Skydome.

To sum it up, Warrior is one of the biggest draws in history and everybody that calls him a flop does not understand what he's talking about.

Last edited by murder; 01-09-2014 at 07:00 AM.
murder is offline  
post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Bookockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
             
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Hoagn screwed WCW from day 1. He squashed Ric in their first match, devaluing who had been "the man" in WCW for years and ruining the value in any rematches. He went back on their deal from the start. He further devalued Flair by having Ric "win" in things like a "first blood" match where Flair bled buckets and still "won".
The real mess as far as Flair was when they whipped Ric's son and gave Ric back some babyface heat, then gave Ric no revenge and he ended up being the heel in theier next match somehow.
Between this and the Starrcade deal with Sting, Hogan did nothing for WCW. He attached himself to the nWo to leech off Hall and Nash's popularity since his own was over.
Bookockey is offline  
post #76 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Bookockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
             
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccourt95 View Post
That post fro dave1981 was great, shows the type of man Hogan is and I found the whole Vader no selling thing funny as well as Austin refusing to work with him
Somehow they had a Hogan vs. Vader match and inexplicably Ric Flair ended up losing the match that he was not even in.
Bookockey is offline  
post #77 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice
 
Broddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
       
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

The David Flair incident was indeed extremely disrespectful. Especially since the Nature Boy didn't think it would go down the way it did.



The G.O.A.T.

THANK YOU WARRIOR!

R.I.P. Ultimate Maniacs
Broddie is offline  
post #78 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Acknowledged by SCOTT STEINER
 
Bookockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
             
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Way before we had things like dirtsheets, my friends and I used to laugh that Hogan nver is going to really lose and wonder why they skipped on so many big money matches and put Hogan against guys like King Kong Bundy at WM2. Nobody wanted to see that match and we were the biggest bunch of marks you could find.
Bookockey is offline  
post #79 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER
 
fulcizombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookockey View Post
Hoagn screwed WCW from day 1. He squashed Ric in their first match, devaluing who had been "the man" in WCW for years and ruining the value in any rematches. He went back on their deal from the start. He further devalued Flair by having Ric "win" in things like a "first blood" match where Flair bled buckets and still "won".
The real mess as far as Flair was when they whipped Ric's son and gave Ric back some babyface heat, then gave Ric no revenge and he ended up being the heel in theier next match somehow.
Between this and the Starrcade deal with Sting, Hogan did nothing for WCW. He attached himself to the nWo to leech off Hall and Nash's popularity since his own was over.
Hogan, the real person, was truly horrible in wcw, the NWO success was due to him though. Too bad that he destroyed everything in starcade 1997 .
fulcizombie is offline  
post #80 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 PM
If I really don't like someone, I call them a Tony Schiavone.---Ron Funches
 
Elipses Corter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 10,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
                     
Re: Instances Of Hogan Using Creative Control/Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by murder View Post
Like you said, house shows and TV's previously to Mania featured both Hogan and Warrior. That's why the numbers for both went down after Mania when Hogan was gone.

To get a better understanding of Warrior as a draw, we only have to look at the Mania 6 buyrate because that was all about the "ULTIMATE Challenge". Warrior was the star of that show and the show was a huge success, drawing 560.000 buys on PPV, another 55.000 on CCTV and nearly 70.000 live at the Skydome.

To sum it up, Warrior is one of the biggest draws in history and everybody that calls him a flop does not understand what he's talking about.
You make a lot of sense.

IMO, the best way to explain the supposed drop in business is the departure of Hogan. He didn't appear after mid-May.


As for TV ratings, IDK about others but both Saturday Night's Main Event shows during Warrior's reign also featured Hogan and IIRC, Hogan main evented one over Warrior, about 3 weeks after dropping the title to Warrior.


Without a doubt, Warrior made that company some serious bread in '90. I mean, if he wasn't a draw, why did he keep the belt for nearly 10 months? He only dropped it because Hogan wanted it back and Hogan didn't want to work Warrior again. He would have rather have gotten from Savage or Slaughter.


The thing people forget is that Vince wanted to run Hogan/Warrior II at WM 7 but tickets weren't selling (the event was announced at WM 6). So, because Hogan was seriously proven, based on his run from '84 to '88, he didn't want to accept that his drawing power was fading. He didn't make a big impact when he came back, either. So, let's blame the new guy that, 2 decades later, we were lead to believe was bat shit crazy and a horrible businessman. And that's the reason this "Warrior was a flop" bullshit even exists, because there is NOTHING to show that business dropped when Warrior was champion, considering Hogan was only gone for 3 months, if that and when there, main evented with Warrior, main evented house shows with Warrior and closed every PPV/SNME Warrior appeared on as champion.


Point is, if Warrior was the problem for the slow ticket sales of WM 6, why didn't they budge when Hogan came back, prompting WWE to use that lame "terrorist threat" excuse? To cover up the fact that Hogan wasn't the same draw he was, hell, 3 years earlier. The story reads the exact same as Bret in '92-'93, who people said only dropped the title because he wasn't a draw but when Hogan came back, he wasn't a draw, either. He didn't appear on house shows in America outside the bigger markets, he didn't appear on TV and he only worked 1 PPV and quit because things didn't go his way.


And for the former champion to not be deemed a draw, after Hogan won the title from them or the transitional champion, he drew the same or even less than they did.


It's just weird how Warrior and Bret got the blame, for whatever reason but when Hogan did the same numbers, it's overlooked. And it sucks for Warrior because Hogan headlining house shows over Warrior, WHILE WARRIOR WAS CHAMPION. But, Warrior gets the blame. That's bullshit.
Elipses Corter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome