First, I would like to thank all of you, including Nitemare, for your support over the past months, and years. You have been extremely valuable to the site, and we appreciate your hardwork. In no way would we ever wish to compromise that.
Second, Weforums has been a very exciting project for us. We love the site, and although its going through some growing pains, we do see the light at the end of the tunnel.
A few facts:
- Since Amish sold us the site, the traffic on the site has tripled. We are now serving over 25,000 unique visitors per day. This is a huge amount of traffic, and its difficult to control. The more involved members get, they add signatures, avatars, and all sorts of other things that raise bandwidth and server load, and increasing costs.
- We have upgraded the servers 3 times since we took over the site to keep its traffic growth going. This site has an incredible growth rate, and its hard to keep up sometimes. Just about a week ago we had to split the webserver and the database server (there are now 2 servers) which obviously costs big dollars. And then just today, we had to upgrade the database server again! We are trying to keep up with the growth as quickly as possible.
- We have not yet done anything to make more money off the site. We were waiting for the re-design, and domain name change before we did the 'money' part. I like to think of it as a fair-trade.
- in terms of the new template, we have a design nearly complete. We just finished the implementation of our first new design over at www.baseballforum.com
- this week we are finishing up HockeyForum.com, and then hopefully within 10 business days from today, we will have the new WrestlingForum.com design live.
- In terms of why we aren't using the new domain "wrestlingforum.com" instead of "weforums.com" ... We have been nervous about the effect on search engine rankings. Those of you familiar with SEO
know that changing your domain can have radical and damaging effects on your search engine positioning. Is it worth losing 5,000 visitors per day? We know we want to do it eventually, we just want to make sure we are prepared.
Overall, we apologize for our own struggles. But, I think this 'blow up' is just on-time, because we were so close to our changes anyways. Thank goodness this all didn't come down 2 months ago. Based on where we are at today, I think you will all be very happy campers by the end of the month!!
Finally, Weforums is not our largest forum, nor is it the smallest. We have sites doing 5x more traffic, and some doing 1/10th the traffic. We do have some challenges with various hacks, mods, and rules (sigs, avatars, etc.) and we are working to come up with solutions. We look forward to serving you better in the future.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.