SC2004 = RATINGS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: WWE: A Strong Response
- Liked Edge’s opening comments. His arrogant and sarcastic character was at it’s height here when he discussed attacking Michaels last week and disposing of him like everyday garbage. You’ve sold the attack by stating Shawn had a concussion, so I hope he sells it tonight. I’m sure Edge didn’t expect to see Shawn, glad he seemed surprised. Nice line from Michaels in relation to Edge not getting the job done. Very nice, bringing up the Edge and Foley match at Mania. That sells Edge as a real threat. Shawn Michaels is Mr WrestleMania and it’s cool to see him throwing that fact in the face of Edge. The last paragraph really intensified the fact that this is a class of two distinct wrestling generations and how Edge claims to be the pretender to the throne that HBK sits upon. Edge versus Taker, a huge match for TV. This promo was great and achieved everything it needed to in order to hype the world title match for Mania in nine days time.
- The Sydal, Shane match was a logical booking given the events from last week and of course the fact that these two will be part of that big fatal four way match at Mania. Not a bad opener. Nice and short, which is what I like. As you’re well aware, I’m not a big match fan, still laughing over my nomination for best match writer! LOL.
- Great line here with MVP knocking Eric’s business credentials stating that by banning him, he made a mistake as MVP equals ratings. Nice! Like how MVP is talking about his destiny and stepping up to the next level. If only the WWE would go this route! This interview succeeded in that it showed the world that MVP is not only confident and cocky because we already knew that. It showed that he is ready, ready to step up and be a top guy because he has self belief now and it shows.
- Again, another great backstage segment here involving Sydal, Dykstra and Chavo. Much in the same vein as MVP, Dykstra appeared cocky and confident. Hell he has a right to be given the length of this championship reign. However unlike MVP, Dykstra is putting on a brave face and that became obvious when Chavo mentioned the fact that Dykstra doesn’t have to be pinned to loose the title at WM.
- Finlay wins it by pinfall, but it was not a clean victory in any sense of the word as Dreamer lost due to the distraction on the outside. I just want to say that those video recap’s you consistently place throughout your shows are very helpful to the reader and help joy one’s memory. The aftermath was typical but effective.
- You’re getting as bad as me for using graphics throughout. I always feel they add something to a show and I’m sure you’ll agree. I guess the backstage stuff with Regal and The Masters of the mat got across Regal’s frustrations and also showed he is not afraid to use his power to punish people, yet I don’t think this segment did anything for The masters of the mat that hadn’t already been achieved in the previous segment.
- Something that consistently stands out in your booking is the willingness to use mid-card guys and take risks on unknowns. It’s brave. There seems to be a reliance on top guys by bookers on here, I’m often at fault myself, but you seem to strike a nice balance between top guys and mid-card guys. This fatal four way had a lot happening mainly because of all the guys on the outside. I’m a big Morrison fan and I’m glad he got the win.
- You seem to have a lot more backstage segments this week, which I personally like. I figure it’s down to WM fast approaching and you need to cover a multitude of storylines. The Umaga, Estrada comments weren’t earth shattering by any means, but we do now Umaga is pissed off, but we already expected that. Nice shift at the end with the Miz and Morrison getting some mic time.
- In the backstage segment with Edge and Shane you conveyed just how “on edge” Edge is tonight. Pun slightly intended!!! LOL. I think you needed to show a less nervous, more focused Edge. He admitted he had a point to prove tonight in order to show Michaels what he’s in for at Mania, which is true, but maybe in order for us to believe in him, we need to see the Edge that took on Foley two years ago.
- Ugh! Bobby Lashley, can’t say I was ever a fan TBH. This would be a cool match up though, between Lashley and MVP. Odd finish. I guess you need to keep both men strong and a clean finish may of damaged the losers credibility going forward. Still MVP walking away contradicts everything he said earlier tonight.
- It’s admirable that you’ve placed so much importance on the United States championship match up for WrestleMania. The contract signing is a novel idea that I like to use a lot, however I find it off that the match is being signed so close to WrestleMania. Great comments by Benjamin in reference to how people are over looking the match because there are so many other big matches signed for mania. Gee Wiz, Shelton is getting a lot of mic time and he usually sucks. At least what he’s saying makes sense. He wants to make some history at Mania by beating Matt and becoming US champion. Nice swerve at the end with Moore, I liked that a lot.
- The finish to the main event didn’t surprise me one little bit, though given how MVP and Lashley ended you would have had some pissed off fans. As a booker I get this logical finish as with only nine days left until Mania both Edge and Taker need to remain strong. The Aftermath was booking by numbers until edge got a Samoan spike, that surprised me. Nice close to the show.
OVERALL: No need to recap as the review should provide enough detail. Just another great show from you. Really enjoyed it and the entertainment value was through the roof even though everything on this show was rooted in realism. Who needs sensational booking when you can do all of this and be realistic in doing so. Looking forward to Raw man!