FD, your Mania card is shaping up to be a true BTB classic! I hope that at least one to three of the matches are written in full though, or at least, in a very extended detaied recap form. Looking forward to the next match being announced.
All the matches will be done in extended recap form, so there will be at least 500 words or so on all the matches, and most of them will be a lot longer.
Whether any matches will be done in full yet I don't know. I'm thinking at the moment there probably won't be, but once I get into the swing of writing Wrestlemania (I plan to start it tomorrow) I'll get more of an idea as to how I feel about writing a full match
And now onto today's match...
No Holds Barred
Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley
• This match goes all the way back to the time Mick Foley was appointed Smackdown General Manager back in the Summer of 2005, and throughout his reign as GM he constantly made fun of Orton and held him back as payback for the way Orton treated him beforehand
• There was often bits of taunting and the occasional amount of physicality between the two of them, but when Edge and Randy Orton beat up Mick Foley after Edge wasn’t announced as the number 1 contender, Foley was put on the shelf for a while
• He returned at the Great American Bash to help the Rock defeat Randy Orton in a No Holds Barred match, and then Foley teamed with the Rock at Summerslam to defeat Edge and Orton in a No Holds Barred match, only for Orton to get his revenge later in the night when he cost Batista the World Heavyweight Title
• Foley and Orton were involved in a Survivor Series match between team Foley and team Heyman, and during the match Orton pinned Foley to eliminate him from the contest.
• Randy Orton had guaranteed that he would win the Royal Rumble and go on to Wrestlemania to face the champion, but was eliminated from the match by Mick Foley he announced himself as a mystery entrant in the match, only for Orton to get his revenge by eliminating Foley
• Foley then challenged Randy Orton to a match at Wrestlemania, only for Orton to tell him that he wasn’t interested in any other than becoming the World Heavyweight Champion and he would do that at Wrestlemania after winning the road to Wrestlemania tournament. However, Orton lost in the number 1 contenders match at No Way Out, attacking Foley after he failed to make a 3 count. Foley then got revenge by attacking Orton and taking him out of the match, making a statement towards a match at Wrestlemania
• The following Smackdown saw Foley once again make the challenge to Orton to a match at Wrestlemania. Orton came out to the ring to tell Foley that he screwed with him once too often and cost him his chance to win the World Title again. Orton tells Foley that he accepts his challenge for a match at Wrestlemania... ONLY FOR FOLEY TO WITHDRAW THE CHALLENGE, and then tell Orton to have a nice day
• Orton was livid, and then following week we saw that he had destroyed the office of Mick Foley to try and make a point. Foley though told Orton that he had just not understood him when he made the challenge... he will not be facing Orton in a normal match at Wrestlemania, instead he was challenging Orton to a No Holds Barred match. Orton accepted the challenge... by RKOing Foley, and then punting him in the head.
• Orton then made the point that he’s already beaten Foley in a No Holds Barred match... and since then he has only gotten better, while Foley has just got older. Orton said that he has already proved that in the past he is the Hardcore legend, but this time he won’t leave Foley in a state to come back. Orton told the fans to treasure a picture of Mick Foley, because this is the last time you will ever see him like this
• Foley’s response was to tell Orton that he has made a career out of hardcore matches, made a career about of being the underdog, and made a career out of making memorable moments.
• With two weeks to go Orton was teaming with Brock Lesnar against Edge and Christian, and after the match had finished, Mick Foley came down to the ring to run off Orton and to make a point to him. Foley came down to the ring with a barbwire covered baseball bat, and nailed Orton across the back with it. Foley made the point that he wasn’t going to lie down to Orton ad was taking the challenge to him
• The final show saw Foley tell Orton that this Sunday he wasn’t going to be facing the lovable, sarcastic, comedian of a general manager... he will be facing the psychotic son of a bitch who lives for hardcore matches. Foley told Orton to come to the ring... which he did... and reminded him of what he had gotten himself in to. Orton told Foley that he knew exactly what he was going to get at Wrestlemania and told Foley he was looking forward to killing the legend of Mick Foley for good. Orton went for the RKO, only Foley to block it and throw Orton out of the ring. Orton retreated away from Foley, who had at least won the battle leading into the war
Current Wrestlemania 23 Card
World Heavyweight Title
Edge (c) w/Lita vs. Christian w/Tyson Tomko and Maria
Umaga (c) w/Armando Alejandro Estrada vs. Rey Mysterio
Tag Champions vs. Tag Champions
MNM (c) w/Melina vs. Londrick (c)
Hell in a Cell
Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker
Street Fight for control of the WWE
Stone Cold Steve Austin is the Special Guest Referee
Vince McMahon w/The McMahon Family vs. Eric Bischoff w/Jonathon Coachman
No Holds Barred
Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton
Kurt Angle vs. Batista
The Rock vs. Ken Kennedy
CM Punk vs. Kid Kash
Tomorrow's match involved 8 men, 1 briefcase, 1 title belt and an awful lot of ladders... no prizes for guessing what comes up tomorrow then...
Also, I'll try and give a bit of feedback to all of you who have left comments so far... it won't be a proper review or anything but just a few general comments on the direction that I feel the BTB is going and what I like/dislike about the thread (that kind of stuff)
Then, Tuesday or Wednesday (as I'm out for most of Tuesday night) will see the final two matches announced (it doesn't make sense to spread them out over two days as the feuds intertwine enough that it would give the match away), along with the Hall of Fame inductees.
Wrestlemania will probably be posted some time next week (although that depends on how many matches I write in full)