I've lost 20 pounds in the last 2 months simply by eating better, having a slim fast shake for breakfast, and working out 4 days a week.
Awesome work. I don't know about you,but it feels good to lose it doesn't it.
1. Stretch and do some light walking (10 min) to get your blood flowing.
Agreed, gets blood flowing in your body so it gets to the muscle quickly. Add doing a couple of very light sets for the target muscles before starting your real workout.
2. ALWAYS finish your sets. I don't care if you fail out 4 reps into your last set, have a spotter there make you work for it. This always pisses me off when some retard takes a shit load of supplements but then doesn't put them to use.
I like this, but you have to find that center ground of not getting too much weight on the bar, or getting too little. I always try to make my last two or three reps of my last set very hard to do. If you can only do 4 reps of a 12 rep set on your last set, you have too much on the bar.
3. Quit doing leg presses and start doing squats. Leg presses are nice if you're trying to lose weight (right here), but if you wanna add muscle, start squatting. I know it'll hurt your confidence that you can only do 3x10 of 135, but it will work on everything from your legs to your back to your core to your neck.
YES! Squat and Deadlift are the major muscle builders, and they WORK! They SUCK.... really SUCK to do, but they work.
4. When you eat, always have 2-4 servings of meat (depending on how much muscle you want to gain). Protein from meat works just as well as protein out of those shiny containers. In fact, I'll go farther and say that there's nothing in supplements that you can't get out of food. Sometimes you will have to eat till you feel like puking, that'll happen. And stop drinking soda too.
depending on what you want to do, this will vary. 1gram / lb of bodyweight of protein is good for maintaining. 2grams / lb is a little excessive, and unused protein WILL turn into fat. Soda in diet or regular is the devil if you want to get in good shape. Supps can help though. Just use them smart. Nothing with BSN, Gaspari, MuscleTech, Controlled Labs, etc will work magic. Its some of the ingredients that can be purchased for a fraction of the cost that will actually help.
5. Don't expect to be huge after a month. Keep track of little bits of progress and keep positive. For example, I can see my abs for the first time since 2 months after football, it's pretty awesome. Always compliment yourself and never take anything for granted.
Now go ahead and get pissed at me for saying that supplements are bullshit (which most of them are).
yes, they are. I agree, but if you do research and buy smart, you can get them to work for you.