The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do - Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Indy Wrestling, Debate League, Women of Wrestling Forums
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Actually in The Business
 
ROH AmericanDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 969
Points: 473
                     
The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

So I did a youtube video about how it is acceptable to use certain slang words given proper context. It seems to me that most people these days have a filter, as soon as they hear a dirty word they instantly jump on the person for using the word and not the context around it. For example a year ago when Jonah Hill was being harassed by the paparazzi he turned around and said 'suck my dick you fa**ot' People instantly jumped on him about using an offensive word and not the person harassing him.

They jump into huge arguments about how these words have been used to oppress people in the past, but it's irrelevant because the context is what matters. It's not like he was going up to a gay person calling him names and discriminating against him. The fact is he was being harassed by someone calling him sexy and he told him off. Making it out to be a big issue where he attacked gay rights, is absolutely ridiculous.

Do you think it's ok to use racial slurs given the proper context?

If you're interested can check out the video here. If not can just comment on what I wrote here.

BORT likes this.

ROH AmericanDragon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 PM
The Most Electrifying Man in WF Spamtertainment
 
Mister Abigail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,105
Points: 3,356
                     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

No, because there isn't a way you can call someone a faggot with love.

If you call someone a faggot, it's an offensive word.

Telling someone to suck your dick is offensive.

Calling someone a ...... is offensive.

Calling someone a fat fuck is offensive. Calling someone a queer is offensive. Telling someone they stink like shit is offensive. Calling someone a cunt is offensive. Calling someone a terrorist is offensive.

People can justify it all they want. People can say they were just messing around with friends. It's still offensive.

Would you call your new boss a fat ...... faggot cunt? No? Because it's offensive.

Some people might choose to not be upset by it, but it's still offensive, regardless of context or intent.
spikingspud and Mick & Brie like this.

Mister Abigail is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Convinced Vince to make me a Main-Eventer
 
NasJayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sacramento, California, United States
Posts: 12,066
Points: 2,236
                     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Abigail View Post

Calling someone a ...... is offensive.
.
I wouldn't be offended to be called a bunch of dots.
Jeff Hardy. likes this.


NasJayz is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Actually in The Business
 
ROH AmericanDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 969
Points: 473
                     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Abigail View Post
No, because there isn't a way you can call someone a faggot with love.

If you call someone a faggot, it's an offensive word.

Telling someone to suck your dick is offensive.

Calling someone a ...... is offensive.

Calling someone a fat fuck is offensive. Calling someone a queer is offensive. Telling someone they stink like shit is offensive. Calling someone a cunt is offensive. Calling someone a terrorist is offensive.

People can justify it all they want. People can say they were just messing around with friends. It's still offensive.

Would you call your new boss a fat ...... faggot cunt? No? Because it's offensive.

Some people might choose to not be upset by it, but it's still offensive, regardless of context or intent.
You used multiple cases of profanity right there... Yet you disagree that the context matters. So you are using these words. Hence the entire point being made. You used the words in a non-hurtful way based on the context of this situation. You're discussing the idea of using these specific words.

There are times where it is ok to use these words. You proved my point right there.
BORT likes this.

ROH AmericanDragon is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM
The Most Electrifying Man in WF Spamtertainment
 
Mister Abigail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,105
Points: 3,356
                     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

And yet the n word is blocked and appears as dots.

Why?

Offensive.

Mister Abigail is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
DaRealNugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 159
Points: 415
       
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

getting offended is such a waste of time.
CJ and JerrysNotHere like this.
DaRealNugget is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Actually in The Business
 
ROH AmericanDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 969
Points: 473
                     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Abigail View Post
And yet the n word is blocked and appears as dots.

Why?

Offensive.
Whether people will freak out over a word or not is irrelevant. The fact is there are acceptable uses of profanity and racial slurs. It's playing it safe to just ban the word on a forum because it keeps the people who are going to make a big stink about it at bay. It is often used to denigrate people, but just because there are instances where words are 'bad' doesn't mean it's right to 'ban' the word all together in every incarnation.

It may be smart business to water down your product to be the most inclusive to everyone, but the more you water things down the worse the product is. Hence why everyone complains about the PG era of wrestling, they try their best not to offend anyone that it stops them from doing ANYTHING.

Incidents as those described in the video gives examples of cases where it should be acceptable. It's ignoring one issue to propagate another one.

ROH AmericanDragon is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Mick & Brie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Turkey
Posts: 144
Points: 498
     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

I understand your argument and agree with you in certain aspects, however, I don't think you used a good example.

Jonah Hill aggressively calling someone a faggot is offensive. It implies that being a 'faggot' (commonly considered to mean homosexual) is a bad thing. Like he is criticizing the guy for being homosexual. That is an insult to all gays.

I'm a big fan of Jonah Hill and love that he went on to make an extremely heartfelt apology for it.
samizayn and spikingspud like this.
Mick & Brie is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Actually in The Business
 
ROH AmericanDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 969
Points: 473
                     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick & Brie View Post
I understand your argument and agree with you in certain aspects, however, I don't think you used a good example.

Jonah Hill aggressively calling someone a faggot is offensive. It implies that being a 'faggot' (commonly considered to mean homosexual) is a bad thing. Like he is criticizing the guy for being homosexual. That is an insult to all gays.

I'm a big fan of Jonah Hill and love that he went on to make an extremely heartfelt apology for it.
Well the paparazzi was referring him to as 'sexy' and other sexual sayings. Much like if the westboro baptist church was yelling at you saying you're going to hell cause you're an atheist and you turn around and say 'Fuck off you religious psycho'. In the same way jonah hill was being sexually harassed. Jonah understandably knew the guy was saying it to get a rise out of him. So the sexual calls eventually got to him. Seeing the person was sexually harassing him he mockingly 'embraced' the sexual suggestions by what he said.

I don't feel his apology was genuine, he's a comedian. The characters he plays are in no way PC. I feel it was simply a Public Relations tactic to smooth over the issue. I have no direct evidence of that though.

If you watched the video I talked about another example. When I was in 6th grade I was being harassed by a group of about 10 8th graders. Every day they would tease me by coming up behind me and lifting me up and tossing me, calling me names, criticizing anything I wore, criticizing me for being quiet, they'd hit me, they'd shove me. I went to the teachers, they did nothing. One day one of them came up behind me at recess and punched me from behind, knocking me to the ground, then he proceeded to kick me in the stomach over and over. I was just walking outside, didn't have anything to do with him, and he did that.

So yeah one day after months of this going on and nothing happening, I said to one of them who was black "why can't you leave me alone you fucking n-word" and I don't regret it. I was tormented by these assholes and yeah I tried other options but I had no other choice, because once I said that, the kid left me alone. But apparently it hurt him so much he went to the principal who was also black and yeah the issue was I used the 'n-word' and not that these kids would attack me, torment me etc.

So with Jonah Hill, yeah he's constantly harassed by the paparazzi and I can understand yelling at these people. Granted my situation was probably worse simply because it was physical attacks, but harassment is harassment.

ROH AmericanDragon is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:59 AM
Learning to break kayfabe
 
Mick & Brie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Turkey
Posts: 144
Points: 498
     
Re: The Words We Use Don't Matter, The Context and Meaning Behind Them Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROH AmericanDragon View Post
Well the paparazzi was referring him to as 'sexy' and other sexual sayings. Much like if the westboro baptist church was yelling at you saying you're going to hell cause you're an atheist and you turn around and say 'Fuck off you religious psycho'. In the same way jonah hill was being sexually harassed. Jonah understandably knew the guy was saying it to get a rise out of him. So the sexual calls eventually got to him. Seeing the person was sexually harassing him he mockingly 'embraced' the sexual suggestions by what he said.

I don't feel his apology was genuine, he's a comedian. The characters he plays are in no way PC. I feel it was simply a Public Relations tactic to smooth over the issue. I have no direct evidence of that though.

If you watched the video I talked about another example. When I was in 6th grade I was being harassed by a group of about 10 8th graders. Every day they would tease me by coming up behind me and lifting me up and tossing me, calling me names, criticizing anything I wore, criticizing me for being quiet, they'd hit me, they'd shove me. I went to the teachers, they did nothing. One day one of them came up behind me at recess and punched me from behind, knocking me to the ground, then he proceeded to kick me in the stomach over and over. I was just walking outside, didn't have anything to do with him, and he did that.

So yeah one day after months of this going on and nothing happening, I said to one of them who was black "why can't you leave me alone you fucking n-word" and I don't regret it. I was tormented by these assholes and yeah I tried other options but I had no other choice, because once I said that, the kid left me alone. But apparently it hurt him so much he went to the principal who was also black and yeah the issue was I used the 'n-word' and not that these kids would attack me, torment me etc.

So with Jonah Hill, yeah he's constantly harassed by the paparazzi and I can understand yelling at these people. Granted my situation was probably worse simply because it was physical attacks, but harassment is harassment.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
spikingspud likes this.
Mick & Brie is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome