Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official Indy DVD Thread

View Single Post

Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #2287 (permalink)
TaylorFitz
Will Always be a Snit Head

TaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: Official Indy DVD Thread

ROH: Deny or Defy

I picked this up at Best in the World as I had heard nothing but good things about the show. Plus it seemed like a better decision at the time to buy a show that I hadn't seen instead of a show that I was at.

Mark Briscoe vs. Kyle O'Reilly

This was really good. At the time O'Reilly was an up and coming guy at best and wasn't someone that would be expected to hang with someone like Mark Briscoe. Well he did and they went on to have a really hard hitting and enjoyable match. This really gave me the feeling that O'Reilly is someone that could work the ROH main event style match really well.

The All Night Express vs. Steve Corino and Grizzly Redwood

They really should have cut some time off this one. I liked Corino trying to be a babyface and resisting the urge to cheat but other than that aspect of the match this fell really flat. It wasn't too bad but it wasn't all that good either.

Tommaso Ciampa w/The Embassy vs. Adam Cole

Prince Nana is so much better with small crowds as you can hear everything he says, and it's usually hilarious. I really liked this match a lot, Cole played such a good face against the monster that is Ciampa and the entire Embassy. The best way to put it is that the finish made me angry because I had been sucked into the match by what they had done in the ring. It wasn't a bad ending to the match at all as ROH really wouldn't want either guy to lose cleanly. Instead they both looked strong. What I mean by saying I was angry was that I was close to doing the Michael Cole, "NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" scream when Ciampa hit a low blow to when Nana distracted the ref to set up his finisher. Good stuff.
***1/4

Chris Hero w/Sara Del Rey and Shane Hagadorn vs. TJ Perkins

This was great. Hero came across as the ultimate bully at times. He wasn't just cocky like he normally was, he was down right mean to Perkins throughout the match. It was as hard hitting as you would expect (I knew it was as I remember how messed up TJP's chest was at Manhattan Mayhem) but what made it great was that they did more than just hit each other. Perkins played an underdog really well and it was easy to get behind his comebacks after watching him get his ass kicked by Chris Hero for so long.

The Bravado Brothers vs. Matt Tavern and Guy Alexander

This wasn't very good. But the Bravados cheating to beat a no name team and celebrating like they just won the tag titles was pretty hilarious. I can't remember a thing about the match though, it just sort of happened and the crowd wasn't into it at all.
*1/4

Eddie Edwards vs. Michael Elgin w/Truth Martini

To sum this whole match up, Elgin is a big tough monster but Eddie Edwards just doesn't care. Eddie took everything from Elgin but never backed down against him. Probably the best performance I've seen from Elgin as he really showed how well he can play his role. I would love to see him wrestle against some of the smaller guys on the roster.
***3/4

ROH Television Championship Match:
Christopher Daniels(c) vs. Mike Bennett w/Brutal Bob Evans

I know people were saying that this was the best match that Bennett has ever had well. That's not saying much as I thought this was pretty terrible. To the point where I didn't even want to watch it after the opening minute. I should have just skipped it.
*1/2

Claudio Castagnoli w/Shane Hagadorn and Sara Del Rey vs. Davey Richards

Lots of DAVEYTENSITY to be experienced. It didn't bother me here as it was needed to explain how someone the size of Davey could go blow for blow with a monster like Claudio. The last few minutes were insane.

Roderick Strong vs. Homicide vs. Jay Briscoe vs. El Generico

I thought this was awesome. There were a ton of small stories that they built into this match and when you put them together you had a 30 minute or so match that felt like 15. I could go on and on in talking about the different stories that this match had. The other reviews of this match have said that it didn't get good until Homicide was eliminated. I couldn't disagree any more. I thought Homicide was excellent in the match. It was odd seeing him work with Strong but it created this weird dynamic and had you questioning what exactly he was doing. Jay Briscoe was a lot of fun to watch as well. Generico put on another classic babyface performance. He is impossible not to root for. This was probably one of Strong's best performances as a heel too. A great effort from everyone involved.

Overall this was a great show. I have 3 matches at 4*s and one just below it. Throw in two very solid singles matches from Cole and O'Reilly and this is one of the better ROH shows that I've seen outside New York in a while.