Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official Indy DVD Thread

View Single Post

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #2017 (permalink)
Jack Evans 187
CM GOAT aka DR. PHIL

Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000Jack Evans 187 11501 - 12000
Default Re: Official Indy DVD Thread

Dragon Gate USA - Open The Southern Gate

Brodie Lee vs. Jon Davis - **1/4

The Breakout Challenge Match #1 - Four Way Freestyle
Jimmy Rave vs. Lince Dorado vs. Sugar Dunkerton vs. Kyle Matthews - **1/2
Fast and furious from start to finish. Got the crowd goin but it was a bit short. Put Dorado in more multi-man matches please.

Rich Swann vs. Sami Callihan - ***1/4
Much, much better than I expected. Callihan is growing on me as of late, I really like the stiffness he works with. Swann is already awesome of course, and he played the underdog role really well here. This match probably holds the record for "most times wrestling opponents have ever spit on each other."

The Breakout Challenge Match #2 - Four Way Freestyle
Arik Cannon vs. AR Fox vs. Facade vs. Shiima Xion - **3/4
Overall better than the first match, although not paced as quickly. Each guy had their shining moments and it was longer than the previous one.

Naruki Doi vs. Jon Moxley - **1/2
Brodie Lee beat the hell out of Mox before the match, so he had overcome that the whole way through. Decent match but I can never get into much that Moxley does. He tried to sell the leg for a while but then it just kinda went away. Cool slap exchange with Moxley stealing Doi's signature moves towards the end.

CIMA vs. Johnny Gargano - ****
Fantastic match. Chuck Taylor is obviously the most well known guy in Ronin but Gargano is quickly emerging as a breakout star this year. Everything he did was so crisp and smooth and he uses a good mix of strikes, submissions, and combinations. Turning into a really good all around wrestler. The one thing I don't like that I've seen DGUSA do a lot this year is in matches someone will kick out of a finisher late in the match and you'll see someone win after they hit the same thing like two or three times or just give him every finisher they use. It just seems flat at times. But regardless of that, this is a really nice match you guys should check out. I could see rating it even a 1/4* higher.

The Breakout Challenge - Finals
Jimmy Rave vs. Arik Cannon - **3/4
Pretty solid match but certainly no breakout moments from either of the two. I can't tell if Rave is balding or had some kind of hair transplant done but his hair is lookin weird. Pretty funny moment, after the match is over Lenny Leonard messes up and says, "Johnny Gargano wins the breakout challenge!" and then it goes silent for a few seconds. I can imagine he was just covering his mic and laughing his ass off. Pretty ironic though as Gargano had himself a breakout match. And can someone tell me why the hell Johnny Fairplay was there...?

Dream Partner Tag Team Match
PAC & Ricochet vs. Chuck Taylor & Akira Tozawa - ****1/2
AWESOME. Going in I had my doubts because obviously these guys aren't regular tag teams at all but this just has fantastic written all over it. So many intertwining feuds and storylines inside the match it made for a really good story unfolding. You had PAC and Ricochet teaming together, two guys who clearly don't like each other and each one wants to be known as the best high flyer in the world, and they just tried to one up each other the whole match. You have Chuck Taylor and Ricochet, who have a storied history on the indies and obviously the Ronin/Blood Warriors feud going on at the time, not to mention incredible chemistry together which made for some moments early in the match that got everyone in the building on their feet. And finally you have PAC and Tozawa who had a big title match the next night in Atlanta, and they just wanted to beat the hell out of each other. Tozawa split him open with a headbutt on the outside, so PAC was bleeding throughout the whole match. And everyone knows unplanned blood just makes a match 4x better. I'd say the biggest thing I liked about this match was that it never got overly spotty, like you see a lot of in this company. I recently watched the main event from United: Philly and that just got ridiculous. It was like 630 after shooting star, then a corkscrew into a moonsault and there was no selling, just a bunch of flipping. This was much better than that match if you ask me, and honestly it's probably the best tag match I've seen all year. Yeah, I just said that. Watch this sucker.

Overall: 7.25/10
The card as a whole wasn't spectacular, but there was nothing bad and you got a surprising Callihan/Swann match and two fantastic matches on the upper card. Those two alone are worth $14.99 I'd say.