Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#2,508 ·
Evolve 6

Drake Younger (3-0) vs. Silas Young (0-1)

Silas Young can be a lot of fun to watch. He can move around really well for a big man and can also bump like a little guy at times. They stiffed each other a bunch and hit some crazy moves. It was around 10 minutes and after seeing this I'm happy to be watching Evolve again. Younger being so upset after the match really showed how important wins were.
**3/4

AR Fox (0-0) vs. Tony Nese (0-0) vs. Scott Reed (0-0) vs. Rich Swan (0-1)

I love it when AR Fox bothces, when he crashes onto the floor the move looks better than if he had actually done the move right. He straight up face plants on the floor in a botched moonsault attempt. The match was a blast though. All spots granted but it was short and very entertaining.
**1/2

Bobby Fish (0-4) vs. Kyle O'Reilly (2-2)

This is one of those matches that you really only get to see from Evolve. It was as real looking as you can get for a wrestling match during the first half. The second half was just a straight up war where they really beat the hell out of each other. Great match.
***1/2

Super Smash Brothers (0-0) vs. Up in Smoke (3-0)

Another good match. Cheech and Cloudy are always fun to watch and I the SSB from pretty good in this one as well. Some really cool spots and funny heel antics by Cheech and Cloudy.
**3/4

Relaxed Rules:
Homicide (0-0) vs. John Moxley (0-1)

The match itself was nothing special but it was all about building a feud between Homicide and Moxley, and in that aspect the match worked perfectly. You could just see Homicide getting more and more pissed off with Moxley who would talk trash at every opportunity. I really liked the arm work on Homicide as well, using the guard rail to apply a hammerlock was a pretty good idea. Moxley going over clean by the ref calling for the match was a good booking decision as Homicide had a reason to be pissed and Moxley still looked good getting the win.

Post match was awesome, even better than the match itself. Homicide lost it and started to beat up Moxley but Moxley refused to fight back by telling Homicide that he played by the rules and talking about how Homicide was going to get suspended and fined for what he was doing. Throwing in some insults like calling Homicide a pussy made it even better. Moxley taking the whole beating and handing Homicide a screw driver so he could keep hitting him with it was awesome. This is the best I've ever seen Moxley. This had to be what got him signed to a developmental deal. This is probably the best thing I've seen in Evolve, they really used the unique rules that the company has to their fullest extent. I can't think of a better way to build a feud.

Adam Cole (1-2) vs. Ricochet (2-2)

A much different approach then what I was expecting. I thought they were just going to go all and throw in a bunch of a spots. Instead they went with a more hard hitting approach and spread out the crazy spots. There were still plenty of spots though and most of them looked awesome. Really good match.
***1/4

Johnny Gargano (3-2) vs. Jimmy Jacobs (4-1)

Aside from the fact that this match is really good it should be seen because it shows how awesome of a place the Ace Arena is. They hung on the support beam for the air conditioner (that I know doesn't work from personal experience) and kicked each other. The other awesome spot was using the guard rails that are nailed into the ground to set up a suicide dive into the crowd onto a bunch of chairs. The match was really good too, Gargano and Jacobs had been involved with each other since Evolve 1 and it was good to see that Gabe was able to reach some sort of conclusion to this match before Jacobs left.
***1/2

Austin Aries (0-0) vs. Chuck Taylor (4-1)

I thought they both did a good job at showing some personality in the match. Hearing that Taylor wrestled a good portion of the match with a dislocated shoulder is pretty crazy. Everything worked well here, they had some nice technical stuff, some brutal chops, and a few hilarious moments. Not sure if I agree with the decision of Aries going over but I still enjoyed this match a lot. Not on par with some of the other main events that Evolve has had but it was still pretty awesome.
***3/4

This is a really good show. Every match was enjoyable and there was a wide variety of styles shown. Aside from the main event nothing went to too long and this made the show really easy to watch. There are a ton of good matches but this could have used a great one. I would still recommend this to just about anyone. I've now seen the first 6 Evolve shows and they haven't had a bad show yet.

#2,515 ·
The best match in EVOLVE history imo is Davey Richards vs. Kota Ibushi from the first show. Chris Hero vs. Ikuto Hidaka from EVOLVE 2 and Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Sami Callihan from EVOLVE 7 are two others that spring to mind. Haven't seen the two Danielson matches.

#2,511 ·
ROH - World's Greatest

- According to Mark Briscoe the best wrestler hes faced is Akira Taue. Its really worth a look the 10 Questions with Mark Briscoe. Hes pretty funny.

1. Kyle O'Reilly vs Jay Briscoe
***1/4

2. The Bravado Brothers vs Steve Corino & Grizzly Redwood

3. Mike Bennett vs Mark Briscoe
**1/2

4. Mike Mondo vs Rhett Titus vs Colt Cabana vs Andy Ridge
*3/4

5. Michael Elgin vs Christopher Daniels
**3/4

6. Homicide vs El Generico
**1/2

7. Kenny King vs Eddie Edwards
***1/2

8. Roderick Strong & The Kings of Wrestling vs Davey Richards & Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team
****-****1/4​

#2,516 ·
Where can I get the ROH/FWA 'Frontiers Of Honor' event? You know, the show where Joe turned the title into the ROH World Championship when he defended it against The Zebra Kid. Is that shit even televised?

Also, is there any 'official' video of Davey Richards' first title defense (vs. Tommy End in Barcelona). There are some amateur clips on YT, and it seemed like a decent bout.

#2,524 ·
A New Level

Domination

Manhattan Mayhem III

Motor City Madness 2009

Respect Is Earned II

Return Engagement

Tag Wars 2006

Take No Prisoners

That's my order. Couple of 'em are for a family member who wants to get into ROH, the rest to add to my collection.

I guess SBG are clean to get stock cleared out, so can't complain. I wonder whether they'd reprint some classic shows from the past once on TV, do it at a good deal and I'd imagine you'd get quite a few buys.

#2,527 ·
I felt somewhat similar on Richards/Perkins. I enjoyed it, and it was a great match but I definitely set my expectations a little too high.

ROH SoCal Showdown II

The Bravado Brothers vs. Cedric Alexander and Caleb Konley

Colt Cabana vs. Jay Briscoe

The All Night Express vs. The Cutler Brothers **

Davey Richards vs. TJ Perkins ***¾-****

ROH World TV Title Match

Christopher Daniels vs. Mark Briscoe ***

Non Title Rematch

The Kings of Wrestling vs. Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas ***¼

ROH World Title Match

Roderick Strong vs. El Generico ****

* Personally thought the Cutlers looked terrible. First time I've watched them in a good while but they looked really unimpressive.

* Davey/TJP was great. As I said above, I set my expectations a little high as I was disappointed and expected more but I'm not taking anything away from what was a great match.

* Daniels/Briscoe was one of the better singles Mark Briscoe matches I've seen. Very enjoyable throughout.

* KOW/Haas and Benjamin was probably the weakest of the three matches for me. Though I still need to rewatch the third match (was there live), this felt quite awkward early on and you could spot a good few mistakes (mostly involving Shelton). The last few minutes were pretty enjoyable though.

* Really enjoyed Strong/Generico. Crowd was really into it (something Generico tends to do best), and even bought into Generico possibily winning at the end. MOTN for me.

* Overall I couldn't get into much with the first few matches but from Davey/TJP onwards, it's a pretty enjoyable show.

#2,534 ·
I felt somewhat similar on Richards/Perkins. I enjoyed it, and it was a great match but I definitely set my expectations a little too high.

ROH SoCal Showdown II

The Bravado Brothers vs. Cedric Alexander and Caleb Konley

Colt Cabana vs. Jay Briscoe

The All Night Express vs. The Cutler Brothers **

Davey Richards vs. TJ Perkins ***¾-****

ROH World TV Title Match

Christopher Daniels vs. Mark Briscoe ***

Non Title Rematch
The Kings of Wrestling vs. Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas ***¼

ROH World Title Match

Roderick Strong vs. El Generico ****

* Personally thought the Cutlers looked terrible. First time I've watched them in a good while but they looked really unimpressive.

* Davey/TJP was great. As I said above, I set my expectations a little high as I was disappointed and expected more but I'm not taking anything away from what was a great match.

* Daniels/Briscoe was one of the better singles Mark Briscoe matches I've seen. Very enjoyable throughout.

* KOW/Haas and Benjamin was probably the weakest of the three matches for me. Though I still need to rewatch the third match (was there live), this felt quite awkward early on and you could spot a good few mistakes (mostly involving Shelton). The last few minutes were pretty enjoyable though.

* Really enjoyed Strong/Generico. Crowd was really into it (something Generico tends to do best), and even bought into Generico possibily winning at the end. MOTN for me.

* Overall I couldn't get into much with the first few matches but from Davey/TJP onwards, it's a pretty enjoyable show.
I really enjoyed it. I had it rated at **** which is what I have all the KOW/WGTT matches at I think.

#2,528 ·
ROH - 9th Anniversary Show

1. Colt Cabana vs Davey Richards
***1/4

2. Grizzly Redwood vs Kyle O'Reilly vs Steve Corino vs Mike Bennett

3. Michael Elgin vs El Generico
**1/2

4. ROH World Title No Holds Barred Barrio Street Fight
Roderick Strong vs Homicide
**1/2

5. Sara Del Rey vs MsChif
*1/2

6. ROH Tag Team Title Match
The Kings of Wrestling vs The All-Night Express
***1/2

7. ROH TV Title - 2 out of 3 Falls
Christopher Daniels vs Eddie Edwards
****1/4

8. Number 1 Contender for ROH Tag Titles
The Briscoe Brothers vs Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team
***3/4​

#2,529 ·
That's very interesting to hear the above thoughts on Perkins/Richards from Socal Showdown II. I heard good things from live reports but managed to kinda stay away from reviews of the DVD, so when it came to watching it I was blown away. I went ****1/2 and it's my #4 MOTY. From the awesome opening MMA-esque segment, to some terrific mat exchanges, this had everything and was just an all-around hard fought contest. Davey didn't rely on his tired shtick either, I'd say Perkins brought out his innovative side. Big thumbs up from me, I had no issues with it.

#2,535 ·
I already posted this in the Chikara Thread, but I thought others might be interested to know this as well. There were two big news items stemming from the show today:

- November 13th in Philadelphia will be Chikara Pro's first iPPV!

- Both nights of Chikarasaurus Rex: King of Sequel weekend will be available tomorrow at Smart Mark Video!
If you haven't seen the weekend results yet and you already planned on buying the shows, this is a fantastic opportunity to go in blind and watch the DVDs without knowing the results!

#2,539 · (Edited)
ROH World’s Greatest

Jay Briscoe vs. Kyle O’Reilly ***

Steve Corino and Grizzly Redwood vs. The Bravado Brothers

Mark Briscoe vs. Mike Bennett

Four Corner Survival

Colt Cabana vs. Rhett Titus vs. Mike Mondo vs. Andy Ridge

Non Title Challenge Match

Christopher Daniels vs. Michael Elgin **¼

Homicide vs. El Generico **

Kenny King vs. Eddie Edwards ***½

Davey Richards, Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin vs. Roderick Strong and The Kings of Wrestling ****-****¼

* Holy shit was the crowd hot for the opener. They were literally popping loud for everything O'Reilly and Jay did, helped make it a very fun opener.

* Corino was once again excellent. Just everything he does is fantastic, and he has the fans in the palm of his hands during his matches. 1 of the best things in ROH right now easily.

* Andy Ridge's yelling is awful. He does it as much as Kelly Kelly, but her's is at least somewhat bearable.

* King/Edwards was King's second best singles match for me. Great exchanges between the two and crowd was pretty into the action throughout the match.

* Though it could of been kept a little shorter, the main event was pretty great. Haas and Benjamin didn't bore me anywhere close to as much as they usually do and the crowd was really into the match too which certainly helped.

* Pretty average show with a great main event and very good Edwards/King match. It's ashame the rest of the card wasn't better because the crowd was pretty damn good throughout and a slightly better card could of made it the best Dayton show in years. Oh and the 10 questions with Mark Briscoe was freaking hilarious.

#2,540 ·
Am I the only one found that main event to be good but way too fucking long (and thus, being absolutely nothing special)?

#2,542 ·
Still liked it alot, but with that and the main at I think Champions vs. All-Stars I think ROH felt it had to put on a long main event to make people feel like they got their money's worth out of the show. 10 min. off of both and they would have been great. Both still blow that tag title match at BITW out of the water.

NWA Force-1 - Valentines Mask-Acre

Greg Excellent vs. Niles Young - *1/2

No DQ Handicap Match
Monster Squad vs. DJ Hyde - N/A

Nui Tofiga vs. Joe Ettell - Squash

Johnny Calzone vs. Ryan Slater - **

Sami Callihan vs. Sugar Dunkerton - **1/4

F1 Tag Team Titles
The Black Gate Asylum (Alex Payne & Kevin Cunningham) vs. The Osirian Portal - **3/4

Six-Man Scramble
RV1 vs. Alex Colon vs. Joel Maximo vs. Cedrick Alexander vs. Josh Hybrid vs. JT Roberts - **1/2

Joe Gacy vs. Frightmare - **3/4

Generally a flatline show with only them setting up a first-time one-on-one match between The Osirian Portal standing out.

CZW - New Heights

The Set (Lance Lude & J-Sinn) vs. The BLK-OUT (Ruckus & Alex Colon) - **

Ricky Reyes vs. Ty Hagen - *
Why do companies still use Reyes, and why did DJ put him over here?

UltraViolent Rules
Matt Tremont vs. Little Mondo - *1/2

CZW WIRED Title
Jake Crist vs. AR Fox - ***
Kind of understand the title change, but Fox was starting to gain momentum and one of the few things the fans got behind. The improving Irish Airborne could help the tag division though.

Sami Callihan vs. Necro Butcher - **
Can you retire already Necro. Just imagine the pointless Embassy brawls during Necro's final time in ROH and you've seen this.

CZW World Heavyweight Title
Joker vs. Devon Moore - **1/2

CZW UltraViolent Underground Title - Gusset Plate Death Match
MASADA vs. Danny Havoc - N/R
Just a bloodbath. Either you’ll like it or not.

WIRED Bonus Match
The Runaways (Joe Gacy & Ryan Slater) vs. Azrieal & Bandido Jr. - **

BJW Bonus Death Match
Yuko Miyamoto vs. Masashi Takeda - N/R
Couldn’t see this one because the picture just turned all white for the entire match. Way to go DJ.

Overall a meh show. At least they’re trying to do something with all the Sabian hate there is but no one wants to see him and Devon Moore in any type of match., let alone a lumberjack strap match where you know the lumberjacks are plants. Next show might be interesting with Whitmer/Callihan & whatever a Psycho Circus Double Ring Deathmatch is.

#2,543 ·
Champions vs. All-Stars and World's Greatest would have been much greater shows if their main events were split into 2-3 matches each.

Christopher Daniels vs. Davey Richards II (making MM4 the rubber match)
Strong & KOW vs. Briscoes & Generico

Roderick Strong vs. Shelton Benjamin NON-TITLE
Chris Hero vs. Charlie Haas
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Davey Richards (making people more excited for the Plymouth rematch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.