Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#2,443 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pick up PWG Sells Out Vol 2

ROH - So Cal Showdown II

- The 10 Questions with Cole & O'Reilly solidifies the fact that once theres room for them to break up, they need to both make there marks as ROH Singles wrestlers because they should be the future of ROH.

1. The Bravado Brothers vs Cedric Alexander & Caleb Konley
**1/2
Was surprisingly solid for the opener. Better then expected.

2. Colt Cabana vs Jay Briscoe
**3/4

3. The All Night Express vs The Cutler Brothers
**1/2

4. TJ Perkins vs Davey Richards

5. ROH TV Title Match
Christopher Daniels vs Mark Briscoe
***1/4

6. The Kings of Wrestling vs Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team
***3/4

7. ROH World Title Match
Roderick Strong vs El Generico

PWG - Kurt RussellReunion II - The Reunioning

1. Peter Avalon, Caleb Konley, ODB & Jake Manning vs Cedric Alexander, Brandon Gatson, Candice LeRae & Willie Mack

2. Mr Aguila vs Rey Bucanero
*1/2

3. Shane Helms vs Joey Ryan
*3/4

4. Low Ki vs Davey Richards
***3/4

5. Jake Roberts vs Sinn Bodhi
N/A

6. Legends WrestleRoyal
Danny Davis vs Mike Graham vs Jimmy Hart vs Tito Santana vs Barry Orton vs The Barbarian vs Rock Riddle vs Shane Douglas vs The Warlord vs Chavo Guerrero Sr vs Shane Helms vs Bob Orton Jr vs Cruel Connection vs Mando Guerrero vs Terry Funk vs Savio Vega vs Roddy Piper vs Val Venis vs Tatanka vs Vampiro
N/A
Hated most of it until Piper/Funk turned up...

7. Chris Hero vs Kevin Steen

8. The Cutler Brothers vs The RockNes Monsters vs The Fightin' Taylor Boys vs The Young Bucks

9. PWG World Title Match
Claudio Castagnoli vs El Generico
****1/4

It had some great matches but its not better then ROHs show the night before just based solely on the fact that PWG put on some pretty fucking awful stuff.​

#2,446 ·
6. Legends WrestleRoyal
Danny Davis vs Mike Graham vs Jimmy Hart vs Tito Santana vs Barry Orton vs The Barbarian vs Rock Riddle vs Shane Douglas vs The Warlord vs Chavo Guerrero Sr vs Shane Helms vs Bob Orton Jr vs Cruel Connection vs Mando Guerrero vs Terry Funk vs Savio Vega vs Roddy Piper vs Val Venis vs Tatanka vs Vampiro
N/A
Hated most of it until Piper/Funk turned up...
The audio on this made me want to kill myself. You got 10 seconds of wrestling before they had to cut away from the audio to play the PWG theme sound because Highspots won't play music they don't own and PWG decided to play music they didn't own for virtually the entire match. I think I would have enjoyed it otherwise though.

#2,444 ·
ROH Survival of the Fittest 2010

Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match
Colt Cabana vs. Rhett Titus

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Grizzly Redwood

Kevin Steen vs. Kyle O’Reilly **½

Steve Corino vs. Adam Cole

Eddie Edwards vs. Chris Hero ***¼

El Generico vs. Kenny King **

Trial Series Match #3

Andy “Right Leg” Ridge vs. Homicide *

Christopher Daniels and The Briscoes vs. Roderick Strong and The House of Truth **¾

2010 Survival of the Fittest Final Elimination Match
Eddie Edwards vs. Kenny King vs. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Rhett Titus vs. Kevin Steen vs. Adam Cole **½

* The crowd didn't seem to even be alive until the Steen/O'Reilly match, which was easily one of the most enjoyable of all the qualifiers. I did love Steen going crazy after the match whenever he saw someone with a Generico mask on

* Such a shame that Eddie got injured in the match with Hero because I was seriously enjoying it and despite the injury and quick finish, it was still the MOTN for me

* Generico/King was a perfectly fine match with King targeting Generico's ribs (which were injured earlier on by Steen) every chance he got. The problem was the crowd once again.

* The six man tag was better then I was expecting, and a decent enough debut for Elgin

* The final was really hurt by Eddie's injury. The last 5 minutes were pretty difficult to get into with Eddie being taken out, Claudio and King battling it out but the crowd not caring too much and then Eddie returning and it leading to a quick finish with Eddie and King. Claudio trying to do the same as Hero in 2008 by eliminating everyone was great though

* Overall despite it not looking like that good of a show, admittedly it somehow wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The crowd really didn't help during the show and were only really vocal during Steen/O'Reilly, the end of Corino/Cole (thanks to Steen), Hero/Edwards and the last few minutes of the six man tag

#2,445 ·
AIW - Absolution V

Tag Team Gauntlet - Winner Gets AIW Tag Title Shot
Featuring Marion Fontaine & Super Oprah , The Jack Of Love, The Banana Brigade, The Olsen Twins & Team Beyond - *1/2
The Olsens & Team Beyond had decent chemistry, but the rest of this was just garbage.

Gregory Iron vs. Justin Lee - **1/2

The Pleather Platoon vs. Da Latin Crime Syndicate - *

Falls Count Anywhere
Alpha Beta Duke & John Thorne vs. Blackballed - **

AIW Absolute Title - No Disqualification
Johnny Gargano vs. Tommy Mercer vs. Sterling James Keenan vs. Facade - **3/4

AIW Women’s Title
Jefferson Saint vs. Angeldust - *
Never seen anything great out of the women’s division of AIW, either it’s bad booking or they get short-changed on time and don't do much with what they get.

AIW Intense Division Title
Shiima Xion vs. Ricochet - ***1/2
When they’re both hitting all cylinders, Xion & Ricochet are great to watch.

Chuck Taylor vs. Tyler Black - **1/2
A bit disappointing and short considering this would be the only time they’ve ever crossed paths.

AIW Tag Team Titles - 2 Out Of 3 Falls
The Young Studs vs. Aeroform - ***1/4

AIW Absolute Title
Bryan Danielson vs. Johnny Gargano - ****
Of course Danielson is going to have the best match of the show, but you saw flashes of what Gargano could and has done since in DGUSA, EVOLVE and other feds.

#2,447 ·
CZW - Twelve

1. UltraViolent Rules - Number 1 Contender for CZW Title
Devon Moore vs Drake Younger
**1/2

2. Best of the Best X Qualifier
Alex Colon vs Sami Callihan
**3/4

3. CZW Wired Title
Drew Gulak vs Danny Havoc
*1/2
Gulak is to CZW as Mike Bennett is to ROH

4. Akuma vs Scotty Vortekz

5. 6 Man Scramble - Best of the Best X Qualifier
AR Fox vs Aaron Arbo vs Ryan McBride vs Rich Swann vs Ty Hagen vs Jonathan Gresham
**1/2
Didn't mind the whole dance thing, liked that the Osirian Portal helped Gresham win as well. Wouldn't have expected this though from CZW.

6. DJ Hyde vs Greg Excellent
N/A
The angle in theory is good but the workers themselves aren't.. Their mic battle here is likely to be better than any of there matches.

7. Best of the Best X Qualifier
Adam Cole vs Pinkie Sanchez

8. CZW World Heavyweight Title
Jon Moxley vs Robert Anthony

9. CZW World Tag Title No DQ Match
Philly's Most Wanted vs The Briscoe Brothers
***-***1/4​

#2,448 ·
ROH Fate of an Angel II

The House of Truth vs. Bobby Dempsey and Grizzly Redwood

Trial Series Match #4

Andy “Right Leg” Ridge vs. Mark Briscoe

Sara Del Rey vs. Jamilia Craft

Winner Gets a Future Tag Title Shot

El Generico and Colt Cabana vs. The All Night Express ***

Kyle O’Reilly and Adam Cole vs. The Bravado Brothers **¾

Grudge Match

Jay Briscoe vs. Homicide **¼

ROH World Tag Team Title Match

The Kings of Wrestling vs. Kevin Steen and Steve Corino ***

ROH World Title Match

Roderick Strong vs. Christopher Daniels ***¼

* Ridge/Briscoe was easily the best of the trial series' matches so far. Ridge's chest was a mess by the end of it

* ANX/Cabanerico was the usual enjoyable match between the two, however I liked the addition of dark Generico who was more interested in beating the shit out of ANX rather then putting on the usual show he does

* KOW/Steenorino was another fun tag match, and probably the most the crowd was interested in during the show. I loved the aftermath with Generico and Steen being pulled apart in the crowd, Generico was seriously awesome at showing just how much he hated Steen

* The main event was pretty alright, however at the same time it just seemed kind of 'there'. Strong silencing the annoying woman in the crowd was awesome though

* The show overall was very basic, not necessarily bad but nothing really worth going out of your way to see. Might of actually been the worst Canada show that ROH have put on (Hard to count the Double Feature II shows). Also the 10 questions feature on the DVD is a really awesome touch and I hope to see more of them on the next few releases, Corino's was hilarious

#2,450 ·
Watching Revolution: USA right now. I'll do a full review later, but I just wanted to mention that I really, really enjoyed a WGTT match in ROH for the first time ever. Granted, it was against Cole and O'Reilly, but I think there's hope for Haas and Benjamin as long as they wrestle the style they did in that match. Of course, it looks like we're getting a Briscoes program, which will probably suck horribly.

#2,451 · (Edited)
Four DVDs on eBay. All start at 1p. As always, with my listings, a percentage of the final proceeds goes to charity.

'SHIMMER: Volume 36'
Brand New. Still in Plastic! Nice and crisp, imagine it. Mmmmmmmmm...

Kayfabe Commentaries 'YouShoot with Jim Cornette: The Lost Questions'
Awesome shoot, as you'd expect from Cornette

ROH 'Straight Shootin' with Cornette & Heenan: Volume 3'
ROH 'Secrets of the Ring with Al Snow'
Both of these are long since OOP and rare as fuck. I've seen the Al Snow one selling for up to $65/£40. You're probably going to get a massive bargain, here.

If any overseas people are interested, just contact me via PM (on here or eBay) and I'll come up with a postage price for you.

Happy bidding.

#2,452 ·
Independent Tour De Force Volume 1

2008 Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup Quarterfinal Match:

Sal Rinauro vs. "Sweet and Sour" Larry Sweeney

Hilarious. Whether it was each guy calling the other a chicken, the constant hand shaking, or Sweeney missing Earthquakes finisher followed by Sal missing the Bonzai Drop everything about this was great. I can't give it a rating but everyone should see this. Also Scott Hudson from WCW was on commentary making terrible jokes, it doesn't get any better.
Rating:

Hybrid Championship Match:

Christopher Daniels vs. Dave Cole(c)

Why is it so dark? Seriously, the company that runs locally in my area has better production values than this. Aside from the shitty production and the annoying crowd this was a good match. I was also impressed with Daniels as he put in a good effort and actually seemed to care about having a good match. I've seen big names work for small companies and it's all too common where the big name gives a shitty effort. This wasn't one of those times. While the spots weren't there the match was still wrestled at a pretty quick pace and I liked the dynamic of a heel Cole being really cocky in the ring with someone well known like Daniels. I loved how angry Daniels would get early on at him. The match lost some focus towards the end but the ending worked all things considered and for a small company like Hybrid I have to say that this was a pretty solid match.

WSU World Title Match:

Mercedes Martinez vs. Nikki Roxx

I wanted to punch the commentators in the face. Such comments as, "Locked in as tight as a virgin on prom night." and, "They're sucking in air like gay guys suck on dick." are really fucking annoying. If you can get past the assholes on commentary the match is actually really good. The technical stuff they did early on was impressive and as the intensity picked up as time wore on they were really hitting each other hard. This match was over 25 minutes long and I was entertained the whole time through. I've seen Mercedes wrestle in Evolve a few times but she never had the chance to really work a lengthy match there. Great addition to the DVD and so out of the first three matches WSU has been the impressive company. If their was an option to turn off commentary on their DVDs I might even consider buying a show from them.
***1/2

"I Quit Match":

Ryan Boz vs. Jimmy Jacobs

I've never seen an AAW show before but I was able to tell right from the start that there was some serious heat between these guys. That's a good sign as Jacobs is pretty average when he's just in matches but when there is some type of feud or storyline involved he's great. This was no exception. Jacobs was fantastic in this match, he was wrestling a much bigger guy and I found myself sucked into the match and rooting for Jacobs to pull out the win. The table spot in the match was awesome, when Jacobs made a really long dive and landed on Boz the table didn't break. So Jacobs went and did another crazy dive to break the table. The match was brutal but not over the top dangerous, something that I've noticed Jacobs excels at. AAW made the right choice when they put this on the DVD.
****1/4

Triangle Trios Match:
Jigsaw, Helios, and Equinox vs. Vin Gerard, Stigma, and Chuck Taylor vs. Hallowicked, Fire Ant, and Arik Cannon

100% spotfest and 100% fun. I'm not sure if there is a better match that Chikara could have put on the DVD. It was really just a dream match during a Young Lion's Cup Tournament but it showed how much fun Chikara can be and all the cool stuff that their wrestlers can do. Unique rules early with one guy from each team being legal at all times. Throw in that lucha rules applied and this was all sorts of crazy. It's rating won't reflect how awesome it is because this was a total spotfest but it's still getting a really high rating.
***1/2

FIP World Heavyweight Championship Match:

Erick Stevens(c) vs. Go Shiozaki w/Heartbreak Enterprises

This wasn't good enough to be a 25+ minute match. It was a good back and forth match but wrestled at a good pace and everything but I just had a really hard time keeping my interest. Had they just started their awesome finishing stretch 5 or 10 minutes earlier I think I would have enjoyed this a lot more. It can be very frustrating to watch a good match that could have been great.

Considering I got this DVD for free at a DGUSA show I'm more than happy with it. The "I Quit" match was incredible, there was a great comedy match, and everything else was at least good. My only problem with the DVD is that there were some cases where the wrestlers had to overcome a lot just to put on a good match. Hybrid and WSU would be downright unbearable if the wrestlers weren't putting on a really good match.

#2,456 ·
Cole & O'Reilly sign...

Ring of Honor officials are happy to announce that two more athletes have signed on the dotted line with ROH. Adam Cole & Kyle O’Reilly, fresh off the biggest weekend of their careers at “Tag Team Turmoil 2011” & “No Escape”, have put their signature to paper and have re-signed with ROH.

Cole & O’Reilly recently earned a future Tag Team Title opportunity in Richmond, VA with their victory over The Bravados in the Tag Contenders Lottery, and proved their mettle against The American Wolves the following night in Charlotte, NC. Unfortunately O’Reilly suffered an accidental injury at the hands of Eddie Edwards in that match, and had been ordered to rest it.

“Adam and Kyle have proven themselves against the best teams in ROH this year.” stated Executive Producer Jim Cornette, “With their fights against The Briscoes, the Kings, Haas & Benjamin, and the Wolves…not to mention earning themselves a title shot, Cole and O’Reilly are poised to make 2011 their year here in ROH.”

Cole & O’Reilly are scheduled to be in action when ROH returns to Chicago Ridge, IL on August 13th for our 1st ever SBG TV Tapings and Kyle assures ROH officials that he will be 100% and ready to go in time for that historic date. Tickets for that live event can be found here, http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=201, and keep an eye on ROHWrestling.com for all the details about the TV Tapings!

#2,460 ·
AIW - Who’s NXT - The Best of Tyrone Evans/Michael Tarver

Set It Off (4/30/06)
Tyrone Evans vs. Johnny Gargano - *

Uprise (8/19/06)
Tyrone Evans vs. The Thrillbilly - N/R

Hell On Earth 2 (10/7/06) - Last Man Standing
Tyrone Evans vs. The Thrillbilly - *

Extreme Is Dead (1/26/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Michael Hutter (Derrick Bateman) - *

Motor City Deathwish (3/31/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Kano - **

Absolution 2 (5/20/07) - Walk Through Hell Match
Tyrone Evans vs. The Thrillbilly - **3/4

Campus Invasion 1 - Strong Style Rules
Tyrone Evans vs. Sami Callihan - **1/4

Tomorrow Never Dies (9/30/07) - Strong Style Rules w/Rounds
Tyrone Evans vs. Eddie Kingston - **3/4

Hell On Earth 3 (10/28/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Jigsaw - **

The Nightmare Before X-Mas (12/16/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Kano - **

I don’t really know how long Evans was in AIW, but his time there really wasn’t made for a best of. Only his farewell speech at the end of the DVD, his feud-ender with the Thrillbilly and the Kingston match are the worthwhile things on here. And even the Kingston match was hurt with them having rounds randomly instead of just a match.

#2,462 ·
Best Of DVD's are the, uh, best way to go if you're just looking for quality matches. Obviously I could recommend any year of King of Trios, too. 2009's Hiding in Plain Sight, 2010's Wit, Verve and a Bit o' Nerve and the recently-released The Case of the Bulletproof Waldo from a few weeks ago are all excellent as well. It just sorta depends on what you're looking for and how familiar you are with the company.

Reactions: Mattyb2266
#2,464 ·
ROH Tag Title Classic II

Kenny King vs. Adam Cole **½

Colt Cabana vs. Mike Bennett *

Trial Series Match #5

Andy “Right Leg” Ridge vs. Christopher Daniels **¼

“Pick Your Poison” Rematch

Jay and Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen and Steve Corino ***

Four Corner Survival

El Generico vs. Rhett Titus vs. Grizzly Redwood vs. Ricky Reyes **

Kyle O’Reilly vs. TJ Perkins ***¼

Non Title Special Challenge Match
Roderick Strong vs. Sonjay Dutt **¾

ROH World Tag Team Title Match

The Kings of Wrestling vs. The American Wolves ****½

* O'Reilly/TJP was pretty great. Some unique exchanges between the two, and I'm really looking forward to TJP's other ROH matches

* Strong/Dutt was probably one of the better Dutt ROH matches I've seen

* The main event was excellent as expected, however it doesn't even touch the original Tag Title Classic. I also put KOW/Briscoes and MCMG over it in terms of their best title defenses

* Overall a pretty enjoyable show especially for a B show. The only match I wasn't into in the slightest was Cabana/Bennett

#2,466 ·
After getting Quite behind on my ROH Dvds i decided to take advantage of the 25% sale.
I Got:

Defy Or Deny
Manhattan Mayhem IV
Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 1
Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 2
Ring of Honor on HDNet Vol. 7
Ring of Honor on HDNet Vol. 8

Still 3 behind i believe so gotta hurry up and get the rest soon.

#2,468 ·
I'd honestly put Nowhere to Run quite a bit ahead of Manhattan Mayhem. Both have one match that isn't bad but is nothing special (MM opener :: Jacobs vs. Collyer), but if you compare the similar matches, Nowhere to Run tends to come out on top.

The title match? Aries vs. Danielson > Aries vs. Shelley.
Punk vs. Rave? Cage match > Dog-collar match.
Cabana vs. Nigel? Call it a slight push, but I'd go with Chicago.
The mid-card singles? Lethal vs. Joe > Homicide vs. Doug.
The mid-card tag? Strong/Evans vs. Shelley/Delirious > Jacobs/Whitmer vs. Strong/Evans. BY FAR.
The Gibson matches? Call it a surprising push, although it's between Whitmer and a 2005 Romero, both of which sucked pretty badly.
The MM main event, while a lot of fun, isn't all that great by itself. Then again, we are comparing the shows as a whole, rather than piece by piece. My suggestion: watch them both along with The Final Showdown in between to judge for yourself, it'll be the greatest consecutive 9 hours of indy wrestling you've ever watched.

#2,469 ·
I'd have to include Supercard Of Honor III in my best of all time list. Amazing show. Only one match that isn't that good.

Delirious/Go ***1/4
Strong/Stevens ****
Briscoes/AOTF ****1/4
Steenerico/BxB Hulk and SHINGO ****
Nigel/Aries ****1/2
DG 6 man ****1/2

That is what you call a fucking epic show.

#2,470 ·
IPW:UK - The Six Year Anniversary Show

1. British Cruiserweight Title
The Lion Kid vs Rockstar Spud
The Lion Kid looks like someone out of the Wizard of Oz....

2. The All Stars vs Leroy Kincaid & Johnny Moss
**1/2

3. James Tighe vs Joel Redman
**1/2

4. GHC Jr Heavyweight Title Match
Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs Zack Sabre Jr
***1/4

5. No DQ Match
Terry Frazier vs Sha Samuels
**3/4

6. British Heavyweight Title
Dave Mastiff vs Go Shiozaki
***3/4

7. British Tag Titles
Zack Sabre Jr & Marty Scurll vs PAC & Mark Haskins
***3/4

8. Steel Cage
Martin Stone vs Danny Garnell
***-***1/4​

#2,473 ·
IPW:UK - Brawl at the Hall 6

1. The Leaders of the New School vs The All Stars
***1/4

2. Leroy Kincaide vs Martin Stone
**3/4

3. Mark Haskins vs Eddie Edwards
***3/4

4. The All Stars vs Paul London & El Generico
***1/2

5. Joel Redman, Mark Haskins & Terry Frazier vs Iestyn Rees, Wolf Alexander & Gilligan Gordon

6. Dave Mastiff vs Sha Samuels

7. The Leaders of the New School vs Paul London & El Generico
***3/4​

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.