Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread
View Single Post
post #5308 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM
BGLWrestlingGod
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread

I rewatched Lockdown 2006 today for the first time in about five years. This was the first TNA ppv I ever purchased on DVD (and actually kept--I also bought Against All Odds '05 and Destination X '05, and thought they were pretty bad). I remember loving it when I first watched it, loving it when I first watched it on DVD, and believe it or not, I love it just as much today. The obviously watered down version of TNA today really had me hankering for some good "early" stuff. Here's my review:

Team Japan vs. Team USA
Standard TNA X Division opener, but back in early 2006 it wasn't quite to stale. The pace never lets up, everyone looks great, and it really gets the crowd involved. Being in the impact zone didn't hurt the atmposphere one bit, because this already felt like a big-time event. Good opener with a lot of nice nearfalls.

***1/4

Christopher Daniels vs. Senshi
Not the classic you would have expected, but still very entertaining. Some good stiff hits, offense and defense, some nice nearfalls, and an overall dream match for the IWC. Solid match.

**3/4

Arm Wrestling Contest: Bob Armstrong vs. Konnan
After two very fast-paced, athletic matches, it was wise to calm the crowd down a bit with what was more or less a segment. BG James always gets the crowd involved, rooting for a 66 year old man was nice, and seeing LAX get whipped was fun. As far as segments go, it was fine, and a nice pause from the action.

N/A

XScape Match
Back to the non-stop action. Once again, everyone looked great, and the match ends with two perfectly matched X Division opponents in Sabin and Williams. To me, these two are like Styles and Daniels in matchups. The chemistry is so perfect. Great action, nice top of the cage spot, and a clever finish that teased being a dirty one.

***1/2

X Division Championship:Samoa Joe vs. Sabu
There is one thing that I have always hated about this match, and that's that Sabu goes for a camel clutch less than twenty seconds in. I mean, the match has already begun and he goes for a rest-hold which Joe has to stay in for a few seconds and look like an idiot. Other than that, though, despite Sabu's many injuries coming in, this was brutal enough for the 6 minutes they had. Sabu kept the offense on, used weapons, Joe really stiffed him, they had some nice counters, nice use of blood, and I really like the finish. In a perfect world, these two would have had about 10 more minutes, but this good for the time they had.

Team 3D vs. Team Canada
Fun match. A nice break from the X Division and the hardcore, and was just fun. The suspense was thick with the "capture the flag" gimmick, but the match wasn't gimmick-heavy. Plenty of action here, and again a dirty finish was teased.

***1/2

NWA Championship: Christian Cage vs. Abyss
Not quite the classic that Abyss/Styles was, but damn close. This match makes a great companion piece to the David/Goliath match from Lockdown a year earlier, and if Abyss was trying to match that classic, he came very close. This was when brawling through the crowd before the match actually meant something. The crowd was so into it. Then after Abyss took control and the bell rang in the ring, people almost gasped like "oh no." They had a great wrestling match, utilized weapons perfectly, and had some great nearfalls. If the show had ended here, this would have been a great main event.

Lethal Lockdown: Sting's Warriors vs. Jarrett's Army
This match had wrestling, was hardcore, and it was FUN. A TNA classic to me. You have Styles and Killings, who are TNA originals, facing Chris Harris and James Storm. You have Rhino as the babyface monster. You have Steiner as the heel monster. And You have two big names as team leaders, who can still go in the ring in Sting and Jarrett.

To me, this match is the perfect embodiment of what WCW might have been had it continued: it's a Wargames match featuring Sting, Jarrett, and Steiner, not to mention AJ Styles and Chris Harris who got their start at the end of WCW, and a couple of new names for good measure. The teams were perfectly matched, there was great wrestling, the pace NEVER let up, everyone looked great, the match was pretty hardcore, given enough time, and had a real "holy sh*t" ending.

THIS is what Lethal Lockdown was about: star power, wrestling, and hardcore. Compare this to LL from the past two years and it's even better.

This is EASILY in the top five TNA ppvs of all time, and can certainly be argued as being the greatest TNA ppv of all time, period. There is not one bad match on the card, unless you count the arm wrestling contest or the segment with Tenay, DW, Larry Z, Christy Hemme, and Raven. Larry Z running around all night trying to find out about TNA's "major" announcement was really corny and gave me shudders conisdering use of the phrase "major" announcement. But it ended in Raven coming back and going after Larry Z, so even that wasn't terrible.

Great PPV and a load of fun. This is the perfect balance of WCW, ECW, and WWE. I can't recommend it enough.

Favorite Matches of All Time

1. Triple-Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit - WrestleMania XX

2. Career Threatening Match: Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair - WrestleMania XXIV

3. WWE Championship: John Cena vs. CM Punk - Money in the Bank 2011

4. No Holds Barred Match: The Undertaker vs. Triple H - WrestleMania XXVII

5. WWF Championship: Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior - WrestleMania VI

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome