Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

1M views 12K replies 618 participants last post by  Yeah1993 
#1 ·
#8,133 · (Edited)
My plan for the day is to watch the matches of the Orton/Taker feud of '05. :eek:

[strike]Wrestlemania 21[/strike] - ****
Summerslam '05
That Smackdown match
No Mercy '05
Armageddon '05

How do you put a line through something? :argh:

Got caught up watching those WM movie parodies so I'm a bit behind.

Edit: Changed my mind, just gonna watch WM 21. :side:

#8,138 ·
No idea how to put a line through something I'm afraid :side:.

And watch Undertaker/Orton series. Now. its totally fucking awesome. Went through and reviewed it all a while back; totally underrated by me until I saw it again.

I think I'd take a colonoscopy over the Mania match tbh.

Erm if I can muster the energy I'll try and watch a few Lawler matches to continue the project and maybe hit up a few WCW matches from 1993-1997 to crack on with the Top 100 Poll. Vader vs Flair is the first match I'll watch, then Regal vs Sting Great American Bash 1996.
Regal/Sting GAB is totally fucking awesome, and one of the best Sting matches I've seen (which isn't saying much cos the guy kinda sucked, but his series with Vader was great even if I don't like it as much as others).

#8,140 ·
I think I rated all their matches over **** in 2005, except for their SD match which I think I gave ***3/4. Casket was better than it had any right to be, and its a top match for 2004 quite easily imo. And the HIAC, fuck, that shit is brutal. Probably the... 4th best. Maybe third... might put it above HHH/Batista, but I'd need to rewatch that match again.

#8,150 ·
That's all we need, baby.

Sting is average as can be. Only had amazing matches with better workers, and hasnt had a great match since 1993
So you're not a fan of GAB 96 w/Regal or Nitro '99 w/DDP?

At least 3 since 1993 actually :side:.

Vs Vader in 1994 (I forget the PPV)
Vs Regal GAB 1996
Vs DDP Nitro 1999

Just saying :p.
You scoundrel, beat me to it.

MOAR 2011

Daniel Bryan vs. Tyson Kidd – Smackdown! 08/05/11

This was a fine little exhibition, but I can’t say it’s something that I’ll definitely remember 6 months down the line. A lot of the match revolved around Bryan’s leg and Kidd working over it every way he could, I even marked a little for the Figure-Four on the ring-post like Bret used to do. Bryan did a good job of still selling the leg, even while on offence which I appreciated a lot more than I should. There was one sweet-ass dropkick from Bryan that looked like it could’ve beheaded Kidd, Henry VIII style. Booker on commentary was as fun as ever, he’s slowly becoming one of my favorite commentator’s in wrestling. No matter what anyone says, you can’t dispute that he’s incredibly enthusiastic about the product. The finish was basic enough, almost exactly what you’d expect. No bad taste left in my mouth or anything, in fact, a rather sweet taste. I would kill for some Haribo’s right about now.

***1/4

#8,151 ·
Just watched the Orton/Christian Steel Cage match. Just a great match with great storytelling and great suspense. I like how they called back to their previous matches such as Christian going for the spear and Christian faking a springboard when Randy Orton went for the RKO. The crowd was really into this match and the RKO from the top rope was just sick. Another great match added to what I think is a feud of the year candidate.

#8,153 ·
Should have played up Christian's career defining moment being taken away from him and him slowly becoming more deranged and psychotic along the way all culminating in a feud ender vs Orton in a HIAC. They had the right idea of delaying his heel turn initally but he's just become a generic heel albeit booked more strongly on TV at least. Heels with a reasonable point for their actions always makes for a beter story and character (Punk vs Hardy) and they had money with Christian's dream being stolen from him by the fans and Orton before his depression and inability to beat Orton and appear in his own eyes to be a failure drives him over the edge and he seeks to end Orton's career.

Oh and Rickeey(Chaney) watch Mcintyre vs Masters Superstars 12/5/11 asap. If you dig supreme selling and limbwork mixed with a good story and callback spots and some swank character work you'll well.....dig this match for having all of the above.

#8,156 ·
Luger around 1988 time was a top tier wrestler, it wasn't really until much later in his career I'd argue/concede he needed a smarter worker to structure a match better to hide his growing weaknesses. The Flair matches though really weren't carryjobs at all compared to some matches Flair had to pull out of his arse in his prime.

Sting was a great babyface but I really just don't care for him at all tbh. Its not like he has a glaring fault in selling, execution or match formula like say an Angle or Richards which could explain why I don't care for him, he does the basics well enough and carries himself well in the ring but I just find his offence and stuff really bland compared to a Flair, Steamboat or Arn Anderson. Hard to explain, would never call him bad or anything close to that (certainly not his NWA-1994 run anyway) but couldn't really say I'd support him being considered anything more than harmless or tolerable, in that he's not going to piss me off or annoy me whilst watching his earlier matches but I won't be wowed or compelled to write as much as I could watching Flair, Funk, Finlay, Arn or Regal etc.

TL-DR I'm a rambling idiot who can't really say anything bad about Sting except he's rather bland to me as a worker. Fuck did I just become the new Austin101 in typing a bunch of shit then simpliflying it in 1 line :side:

#8,159 ·
Well i havent seen much of Sting after 1993 except for the hilarious Dungeon of doom matches and the crap nWo matches.

I did see a match he had with Bret which was very dull. Which is mainly why i gave up on him. Why the hell has a boring match with Bret fricking Hart on PPV in his prime? (asides from Shawn :side:)

And to be fair to Shawn, he didnt really feud with Vader. They just had one match. Sting vs Vader lasted one longass time

#8,164 ·
The first Sting/Vader was GAB92 and that swamps the motherfucking shitload out of Michaels/Vader (which, don't get me wrong, I really like).

I wouldn't say Bret was near his prime when he had any of Sting's matches.

I just threw Muta's name in there because over the years I've read people say Muta was better than Sting in their matches.
I probably shouldn't have said much b/c I've only seen one of the Sting/Mutas in the first place, but yeah, I don't think Muta's as good as Sting. And Sting ain't great.

#8,160 · (Edited)
Yeah I've not really seen much of his later work bar a couple of matches but from what I recall he looked a lot more like a guy maybe suffering from injuries and wear and tear and definitely in need of a smarter worker to work out a match that could show off what he still had whilst minimalising any problems he encountered.

He and Flair were almost perfect foils for one another and he had an incredible look to boot, reminds me of Masters at least in the appearance and way he worked his power spots smartly.

Edit: the FCA match vs Cactus Jack is amazing. Top 30 I think for my WCW Top 100 poll.

Edit 2: From what I've seen Vader vs Sting could have lasted as long as HHH vs HBK in terms of being on and off, I don't recall them having a bad match during the feud (certainly 1 on 1 at least). Can't wait to rewatch the Strap match and the 1994 match for the poll.

#8,162 ·
Lawler, nothing more need be said:~

Jerry Lawler vs Bam Bam Bigelow, Texas Death Match, Memphis, 07/09/1986

DesolationRow I believe said this was one of the most perfect demonstrations of a monster vs top babyface match and I can't find any room to disagree with him here. Just an all round great match with a hot crowd that got over Bigelow as a terrifying monster whilst keeping Lawler credible in getting just the right amount of offence for a guy of his stature without killing the story of Bigelow being an immoveable object. Take all of this with some terrific selling, pacing and structuring between falls and you have a tremendous match.

Opening 2 falls see Lawler get squashed with Bigelow just destroying him with punches and headbutts to the ribs that Lawler sells like death. He also bumps emphatically for all of Bigelow's offence and really puts him over as a monster who he'll struggle to defeat and instead works around trying to outsmart Bigelow after being promptly dealt with in the power exchanges. There's a great spot early on where Lawler has eaten a flurry of punches in the corner and after rolling to the floor goades Bigelow into punching the ring post and both men sell it amazingly: Lawler by almost collapsing and holding his head after the Bigelow offence and Bam Bam by constantly trying to get feeling back into the arm and eventually lowering his right arm and going into lock up exchanges with only the left hand allowing Lawler to hit some fierce snap punches which Bigelow sells as well as Lawler sells for Bam Bam, he'll snap back after a punch, collapse into the corner and at times just stagger drunkenly like he has no clue where he's at. The spot where Lawler then grabs his hand after punching Bigelow and putting over the power Bigelow's head possesses, which ties in with him using his head to win the opening 2 falls was a great payoff from the opening falls and some creative selling from Lawler which you don't come to expect these days.

They really do work a unique take on a LMS compared to the matches these days with 50 amazing spots. What I've come to love about these matches in Memphis is they often work it as a simple match of beating your opponent up to the point where he cannot answer a 10 count, Lawler's ribs take a tremendous beating from Bigelow's punches (seriously Bigelow is up as a great puncher) and really leans into a few and bumps dramatically like you think Bigelow will soon carve a hole in his stomach and each time he has to answer the 10 count he'll dramatically fall into the ropes so he's up but barely standing and looking ever more precarious as a sitting duck. His constant attempts to out fox and outmanouevre this monster ties in nicely with Bigelow's over confidence costing him the 3rd fall which Russell puts over as 30 seconds where Lawler can rest up and absorb the beating he's taken so far.

Bigelow slowly moving into a more vicious mode and working over Lawler's cut via biting and then working a sleeper was a nice payoff to Lawler's resilience being too much for Bigelow and forcing him to abandon the strategy of working the ribs and instead try and choke Lawler out. Again they take the time to develop this story so it comes off much better instead of being thrown out there for little reason other than to waste time or set up some contrived spot and Lawler trying a sleeper of his own really was timed as the last bit of offence he has left in him. His energy exhausts him and he eats a pin after Bigelow counters the sleeper and now Lawler looks dead and a certain loser...

Until he pulls down the straps!! The thing with Lawler's comebacks are how well he times them into the story of the match, here Bigelow has noticeably slowed down for a man his size now wrestling for just over 20 minutes and Lawler now has one final flurry of offence to try and put this monster down. He hits his usual gorgeous haymakers in this comeback which Bigelow bumps for emphatically and really adds to the drama of the match with Lawler looking like the most heroic guy in the world for coming back from this emphatic beating. His collapsed sell after hitting Bigelow with all his might was another subtle but brilliant touch in the match and the finish was great I thought: Bigelow with all his remaining strength launces Lawler into the ref and pins him despite Lawler having his feet on the ropes. Sharpe then comes in and accidentally hits Bigelow over the head with a chair during the 30 second rest period and when the ref comes to he begins the 10 count. Both men get counted down for 10 and Russell explains whoever gets to their feet first will be the winner: Lawler brilliantly staggers slowly onto his feet before propping himself off of the ropes to be ruled the winner: completing the story of him just managing to outlast Bigelow and overcome emphatic odds.

Great storytelling and drama in mixing a perfect balance between monster heel and heroic babyface, both men were dynamite on offence and in their bumping to get the other man over and the ongoing story of brains vs brawn was wonderfully developed via some clever spots. Really a great match to show what Bigelow could have been in wrestling.

#8,167 ·
A shitload of Dubya Cee Dubya:~

Lord Steven Regal vs Sting, Great American Bash 1996

Good lord almighty I still don't think Cal sold Regal's performance well enough, I mean jesus this is about as good as I've ever seen Regal character wise and its just briliant. He's amazing at stiffing the hell out of Sting and using eyepokes and cheap cutoffs to keep control and busts out some swank submissions and smartly positions himself in areas he can use the ropes for leverage on a couple of holds. Like Arn Regal really adds to all these holds and submissions whether its flexing his arms after a submission or taunting America as he has Sting in a headlock by a camera. He throws some lovely open hand slaps and punches to the face when he's got Sting in a headlock, has great facial expressions when he bumps flat on his back on the floor in the opening stages and when Sting hits a desperation back body drop, his 'NOOOOOOO' scream as he'd lifted just added so much to it. The spot where Sting kips up and eventually reverses a wrist lock through his sheer power was a great superman babyface spot and Regal's gradual expression of pain before collapsing to his knees was amazing, and I almost forogt his fucking dance before hitting a hell of a dropkick right to the nose of Sting. He's kneeing Sting in the face during exchanges, even in the standard knuckle lock he's digging his knee across Sting's nose: just fucking disgusting torturing and stretching of Sting as well as some hellacious strikes to boot: that backhand left hand slap to Sting in the corner....JESUS. Finish could been seen as coming from out of nowhere but I dug it as Regal always having a counter for everything Sting threw so Sting managed to eventually one up Regal and utliise a quick counter into the Scorpion Death Lock for the win.

Terrific match made by a wonderful Regal performance. Sting tbf really ate all of Regal's offence really well and added a lot with the superman comebacks and power spots. Regal locking in the Regal Stretch and trying to reassure himself Sting would tap only to have Sting sit in the hold and have Regal break it in disbelief was a hell of a spot, top 25 for sure.

****1/4

Hollywood Blondes vs Ric Flair & Arn Anderson, 2/3 falls Tag Team Championship

Loved this but would have loved for them to have gone the full 3 falls as it could have been a classic and possible top 5 tag match for the poll IMO. Pillman & Flair in particular were great with Pillman being a disrespectful prick and Flair wooing on the ropes to piss him off and then chopping the shit out of him off of the hot tag. Austin was great in bumping all over the shop and there's a great spot where Flair fishooks him in the corner screaming 'who's the man' and Austin screaming 'you are' to get out of the hold. He then takes a bump over the ropes and does a great frantic fall onto the floor on the outside like his legs are too fast for his body and he can't stand up. Arn's FIP segment in the 2nd fall was very good with some good southern heel formula from the Blondes like choking Arn behind the ref's back and using that great spot where Austin pushes Pillman's head backwards as he has a single leg crab locked in for maximum pressure. Arn also does the spot where he gets irish whipped but collapses due to his bum leg, hot tag mixed with Austin's cowardice was timed well and Flair chopping the shit out of both before cleverly throwing Pillman over the top rope behind the ref's back to avoid a DQ was a nice touch in leaving Austin all alone for the figure four. Windham interference was a bit of a buzzkill though plus the crowd were largely flat except for Flair and one excellent snap DDT by Arn which got a great pop.

***1/2-***3/4

Sting vs Vader, Strap Match, Superbrawl III

AWESOME match. Right now I have this ahead of GAB and then Starrcade as their best match of the series with just the Slamboree 94 match left to watch. Really loved how they worked the strap into the match in terms of how it impacted both men's room to breathe as well as led to some clever spots but still didn't detract from the match in making it just a bunch of strap shots. Sting early on trying to be cautious and pace his attack only to have Vader's power yank him right into him was a great way of putting over the limitations of the strap for Sting and demonstrating Vader's power. Sting ruled on offence for me in this match, I liked how he tried to continuously weaken Vader with his offence and then attempt to touch all 4 corners instead of just having repeated attempts after only a few bits of offence like you get in a lot of LMS matches today. Vader's cut on his back was nasty and made for a hell of a visual and progressed the hate these two have for each other, HOLY SHIT at the force Sting hit the guardrail at on the floor when he tried to drag Vader around each 4 corners. Speaking of people ruling on offence....Vader fucking rocks the house here. The samoan drops and splashes were a great destruction of Sting to the point where he could barely stand and I recall one samoan drop that looked rediculous in terms of force and impact, Race was really good as well in trying to constantly interfere and prove an even bigger obstacle for Sting to overcome and his constant taunting of Sting was hilarious.

Crowd really did suck for this one though, they were horribly quiet during some of Sting's comebacks and Vader's heat segments and the closing stretch on the match whilst magnificent in story and drama was shitted on horribly by the crowd. Sting finally mounting a flurry of punches that appeared to finally put down Vader was one of the most defining sequences in the feud and him then dragging Vader around the ring was not only a great show of power but also incredibly dramatic with Sting smartly slowing down as he got to the next corner and really showing the wear and tear from the match.....and then Race trips the ref over Sting and he falls oh so agonisingly close to winning the match....and could this crowd any less? Seriously fuck this crowd to the depths of Monday Night Raw 2011. Finish though did a seem bit strange with an apparent botch in the rules: Vader looked like a true monster dragging a bloodied Sting around the ring whilst Sting tried valiently to cling on to the ropes.....and then Vader touches the final corner after being kicked when they spent the entire match saying Sting would have to be dragged to each corner in order to win the match. Yeah. I could accept the ref was a bit out of it from the earlier bump and they were going for a 'Vader screwed Sting' story but it did seem like a botch on the rules, but I'm not gonna let it detract from a terrific story and war which made for an awesome match. HOLY FUCKING SHIT at that punch flurry in the corner from Vader which bloodies Sting, that shit was disgusting.

****1/2

Arn Anderson & Vader vs Stars & Stripes, Saturday Night 15/4/1995

Yeah I loved this and right now have it in my bottom 20. Simple STF build with a nice heat segment on the Patriot who eats some tremendous abuse from Vader in particular as well as some great Flair beatdowns behind the ref's back...Flair RULES on the floor like a crazy bastard who smoked some weed before he came out and thinks everyone is out to get him. Opening sequence had Arn doing a great tactic of complaining to the ref that his shorts were pulled after an arm drag and he was really good early on as the heel in peril eating a lot of babyface offence and struggling to find a way into the match. Both transition spots were very good: the 1st mini FIP segment comes with Arn catapulting Bagwell into a Vader chokeslam and the 2nd one has him luring the Patriot into a Vader splash. From there the FIP segment is generally good with a couple of teases of a tag and a great little burst of offence from the Patriot after Vader toys with him a little bit too much. Bagwell was great off of the hot tag and the general chaos with bodies flying eveywhere had the crowd going crazy. Finish was terrific with Vader splashing poor Bagwell behind the ref's back and Arn sneaking a pin. Top notch fun.

***1/2

Rock n Roll Express vs Heavenly Bodies (Lane & Pritchard) w/Cornette, SuperBrawl III

Yeah this is a matchup I'll never tire of and could watch endlessly and this will probably be around the bottom 15. Cornette as usual adds so much to the match on the floor whether its calling for a time out or calling Lane over for a conference call or trying to block out the 'Rock n Roll' chants from the crowd. They work the usual comedy heel spots including one of my all time favourites with the atomic drop into a running collision between Lane & Pritchard and a brilliant spot where Gibson runs over to the corner to stop Morton hitting the buckle and then the Bodies trying to replicate the same spot only for the R n R to throw Lane to the other corner and have Pritchard take a kick to the gut for good measure. Then they work the mother of all comedy spots here: a criss cross exchange leads to Cornette entering the ring and eating a shoulderblock from Lane and OH MY GOD Cornette's selling: he flies in the air like he was shot out of a cannon and then acts like he slips on a bananna when trying to get up :lmao :lmao. Eventually he proves the turning point in the transition spot by distracting Morton long enough to eat a dropkick to the floor and a racket shot from JC. FIP segment is great with Morton eating all the punishment terrificly and trying to build to the hot tag which the crowd slowly grows more into as the heat progresses and the finish itself is well done with Eaton interfering after being sent to the back but missing Morton and costing the Bodies the match. Great formula match here which was a total blast to sit through and a very good crowd mixed with some awesome tag team wrestling.

***1/2

Vader vs Ric Flair WCW Heavyweight Championship, Starrcade 1993

Awwwww god damn what a match we had right here. Vader is a relentless ass kicking machine who just well kicks ass relentlessly here and Flair is the hometown boy eating this tremendous beating whilst getting in his hope spots and trying to find some way to take down this behemoth. Opening stages set out the story of the match perfectly: Flair takes an all mighty beating culminating with Vader screaming 'YOU AIN'T TOUGH ENOUGH' whilst headbutting Flair for good measure, and when his trusty chops end up having no effect Flair has to bail to the floor and try and find some way of strategising to overcome this monster. They build up to Vader's whiffed splash on the guardrail tremendously and Flair's barrage of chops and punches get the crowd rocking only for Race to time a cheapshot beautifully in cutting off Flair's momentum and in the process allowing Vader to recuperate and strike again. Once Vader misses that splash we get a constant running theme of Vader's recklessness and overconfidence causing him to miss splashes and the awesome attempted moonsault which usually sets up the beginning of Flair hope spots and I really dug this theme of Flair being wise to Vader's mistakes and having his resilience and experience be the difference maker to combat Vader's force and power. HOLY SHIT at the top rope clothesline...insanity.

Flair's comeback and the crowd reaction is also something truly special. I dug him utlising Race's interference to smash a chair off of Vader's leg and head and then chop and punch the shit out of him until he collapses square on the floor. Really felt like a massive moment and ultimate comeuppance spot for Vader after all his taunting and generally being a massive dickead (no offence Leroy). The teased figure four spot ending with Vader booting Flair on his ass was a really great crowd tease in how deafly silent they fell once it dawned on them that Vader still had plenty more fight in him. Finish to me was terrific though I could see why some people would want more; Race ends up trying to cause a DQ by interfering but hits Vader instead and as the ref boots him out on the floor Flair strikes with a barrage of chops and capitalises on Vader letting his guard down and grabbing a quick roll up. Really felt like it completed the story of Flair just hanging on in and trying to spot any opportunity to keep his belt and career and protected Vader as this unstoppable monster who if anything made one small error off of the back of his manager's mistake which cost him the match.

****1/2

Vader vs Ricky Steamboat, WCW Title, Worldwide 29/05/1993

Really enjoyed this and thought for a 11 minute match it did a great job of giving us a taste of what we could expect in a longer match between both as well as setting up a rematch. Think it will make my list in the bottom 20. Vader as is the norm in 1993 is on fire on offence with sick punches and brute force of power and Steamboat is a natural punching bag with the courage to keep coming back for more punishment, the spot where Vader is digging into Steamboat's mouth and screaming 'I'M THE MAN' only for Steamboat to scream 'NO YOU'RE NOT THE MAN' before breaking free and screaming in agony and unloading a vicious open hand slap should not have been as awesome as it was but god damn did these two pull it off well. Really dug Steamboat managing to get just enough offence in to trouble Vader and tease a victory but still continue the story of Vader being in firm control and Steamboat not really having an answer as to how to beat him. Finish set up a rematch greatly imo, Steamboat gets pissed after Race eye rakes him to break up a figure four and a fight spills to the floor and Steamboat crashes and burns in trying to find an answer to stop Vader. The splash on the floor for good measure and then cooly getting back into the ring was a great dick move on Vader's part to further inflict some punishment. Very good match for the time it got but definitely think they have a better match in them with longer time.

***1/2

Vader vs Ricky Steamboat, WCW Title, Human Cage Match, Saturday Night 16/10/1993

And this was that better match I knew they were capable of, really smartly worked lumberjack match which plays off well from the Worldwide match earlier in the year. Vader toys with Steamboat early on by delaying punching him and they tease dissention amongst the lumberjacks early with Steamboat trying to get back in the ring and the heels trying to rougly force him in. Goes without saying for both men but Vader's punches and Steamboat's selling are both something very special: Steamboat does this great sell after a flurry of brutal Vader punches where he almost falls to his right side into the ropes in the corner before almost turning his head 360 as he gets up and then there's this terrific bit of selling after a top rope Vader clothesline where Steamboat bumps hard into the canvas and then twitches his left arm like he's gone into the shock from the impact. I also dug how Steamboat sold the wear and tear with how weak some of his punches and kicks became the more he utilised them during his first bit of offence. Also enjoyed him busting out a DDT, back suplex and top rope suplex/DDT before locking in a figure four leglock to try and put the big man down.

Really dug as well how Vader noticeably slowed down and looked more sluggish the more the match went on, realy made it look like Steamboat had successfully managed to outlast the onslaught and made Vader punch himself out. Finish was terrific I thought in utilising the match structure as well as being the ultimate heartbreaker: Vader looks a broken man and as he collapses to the floor from a Steamboat crossbody a struggle breaks out between the lumberjacks to get him into the ring and during this Sid Vicious sneaks him and drops Steamboat with the powerbomb which allows Vader to slowly sneak him and hit a splash for the win. Really great in making Steamboat look to have done everything no-one else could do in taking Vader to the limit and on the verge of defeat only to be cheated out of the match by Vicious.

Also: "Those guys better watch out or the ShockMaster will fall and trip all over them"- Jesse Ventura :lmao :lmao

****1/4

Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck, Bunkhouse Match, Spring Stampede 1994

Fucking hell what a bloody and brutal fight this was. Dustin sets the temp from the very beginning by just running to the ring and jumping over the ropes and catching Bunkhouse with a flying lariat. From here he just absolutely beats the piss out of Buck with awesome punches and bionic elbows and a delicious low blow for good measure, Dustin then gets too heated and whiffs a crossbody and does his signature awesome bump to the floor. From here Dustin bleeds horrificly and gets worked over for a good portion of the match via choking, boots right to the cut and some flat out horrifying lashes to the face from a belt...he even gets the time to do a great bit of punch drunk selling where he lashes out at thin air trying to hit Buck. Buck's attire here is incredible: he looks like one of them hicks out of Deliverance taking pleasure in brutalising this ingrate in Rhodes only without the sodomy....well the commentators mention Muta wrestled tonight so I guess the viewers were sodomised to some extent.

Finish is terrifc as well, Dustin finally hits the bulldog only to have Colonel Parker prove a distraction and as he starts to whip him Buck eventually scores some brass knucks and drills Dustin with a right hand for the pin.

Vader vs Davey Boy Smith, Slamboree 1993

Great match and a certain vote from me for around the top 75. I'm a sucker for two big guys throwing bombs and doing a clash of the titans esque battle and this was exactly that. So great watching all the Vader 1992 matches and then seeing him here out of his comfort zone when Davey shows he can hang with Vader in the power department and won't be knocked down from Vader's stuff. Vader then proceeds to beat the piss out of Davey when he realises trying to overpower him will have no effect and rocks Davey with some hideous punches that eventually bloody the nose of Davey. Eventually Davey manages to comeback and hits some incredible power spots on Vader, including a bodyslam on the floor, a delayed vertical suplex and the creme de la creme: a running powerslam after catching Vader in mid air attempting a corner splash: absolute carnage. Finish is well done in continuing the feud as Race breaks up the pin and leads to Davey beating the crap out of Race on the floor for revenge only for Vader to crack Davey with a chair for the DQ. Really put over the threat Davey possessed to Vader on this night and ensured a rematch would be a certainty. Also really terrific to see 1 match in this monster run where Vader isn't able to overpower his opponent and has to resort to cheap tactics. HOLY SHIT at that top rope splash moved Vader hit that nearly knocked Davey through the mat.

***3/4

#8,169 ·
Greatest stars of the 90's, Eddie Guerrero's set and a couple of old PPV's are on their way to me. I am excited to watch the 90's DVD because I actually haven't seen Bret/Owen from Wrestlemania X but have seen a lot of positive reviews. I have also not seen pretty much all of disc one on Eddie's DVD either so I am excited for that to.

#8,170 ·
A lot of WWE's dvds that have coming out seem to be going out and mostly appealing to the kids. Randy Orton and Rey Mysterio dvds are both drawn out strictly for the PG audience. Although I do plan on getting the Orton dvd because the story seems interesting on what I've seen and heard from it so far. I want to see more oldschool Wrestlers dvds instead of releasing dvds for Wrestlers still working for them. They probally wouldn't feel confortable with advertising dvds for alltime greats in the past unless it's Ric Flair or Shawn Michaels which I guess is understandable considering the averge fan currently.

#8,172 ·
Are you a fan of Kane? If not, avoid it.

Top 50 OMG Moments? Avoid it. Absolutely shit, unless you are interested in the matches on discs 2 and 3... though they are already available for the most part on other, GOOD sets. The documentary portion of this DVD is horrible. Its kept to mostly kayfabe which is retarded, and they get a bunch of mid card nobodies to comment on the shit, even though for a lot of the moments they have the people involved in them on the fecking roster/working for the company and they don't bother talking to THEM about it.

IC Title DVD... its a mixed back. Some good stuff, and some shit stuff. All depends on whether or not you already own the really good stuff like Bret/Perfect, Savage/Steamboat, HBK/Razor Ladder etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.