Wrestling Forum banner

Indy Womens Discussion Thread

397K views 2K replies 178 participants last post by  go stros 
#1 ·

Here it is, by popular demand, the Official SHIMMER Discussion Thread! I'd been thinking, for a while, that there should've been one of these but, until now, I couldn't be bothered to make one myself (SHIMMER also needs to invade the 'Women of Wrestling' section but that's another story). I know that there are quite a few closet wimminz rasslin' marks knocking around WF, so it's time for you to come out of the woodwork and report in.

Some things that might need discussing:

- SHIMMER 33 is now available, for pre-order, here. I don't know who does the covers for SHIMMER DVDs but they've been awesome lately. They put ROH's dismal efforts to shame...
- Ayako Hamada recently parted ways with TNA. I'm presuming that she'll go back to Mexico or Japan on a full-time basis. There's a good chance that means that she won't be appearing at future SHIMMER tapings. Sad times.

- On a more positive note, here's a picture of Misaki Ohata:

Not sure what else needs discussing? Feel free to chime in with whatever you want, on the subject of SHIMMER - past, present and future.

See less See more
#362 ·
Re: Official SHIMMER Discussion Thread

Volume 42:

* Sara Del Rey video package. Del Rey calls Kana out for ignoring her and says she’ll defeat her just like a rookie.

* First match: Leva Bates (as Cyclops from X-Men) vs Mercedes Martinez. Martinez def. Leva with a fisherman’s buster.

* Mena Libra and Melanie Cruise def. Hailey Hatred and Kalamity via bridging Samoan drop from Libra to Kalamity.

* Next match is Kellie Skater vs LuFisto vs Tomoka Nakagawa vs MsChif. Tomoka pins MsChif to win.

* Yumi Ohka def. Courtney Rush via chokebomb.

* Davina Rose vs Portia Perez next. Portia calls Serena out to watch her protege in the ring. Serena comes to ringside to cheer on Davina. Portia Perez def. Davina Rose via crossface. Post-match, Perez doesn’t break the hold. Serena makes the save for Davina, then Nicole Matthews makes the save for Portia. Serena challenges Nicole to a match tonight.

* Nevaeh and Sassy Stephie def. Nikki Roxx and Ariel via pinfall after a team maneuver.

* Cheerleader Melissa def. Christina Von Eerie via Kudo Driver.

* Athena def. Jessie McKay and Mia Yim via O-Face on Yim. Great match that saw Mia debut a corkscrew moonsault which she missed but was awesome nonetheless.

* Nicole Matthews def. Serena via Roll the Dice after Portia Perez distracts Serena. Davina Rose comes out to check on Serena and a fight breaks out. Afterwards, the refereess and some of the locker room break it up. Serena challenge Portia to a No Holds Barred match on Volume 43.

* Ayako Hamada and Ayumi Kurihara def. the Knight Dynasty to retain their SHIMMER Tag Team Championships when Ayako pinned Britani. After the match, Saraya berates Britani and tells her to get her act together or she won’t be wanted by “them”.

* Kana def. Sara Del Rey via submission.

* Main event will be Madison Eagles vs Hiroyo Matsumoto for the SHIMMER Championship.

* Madison Eagles def. Hiroyo Matsumoto via HellBound to retain the SHIMMER Championship.
Looks like they're building towards Britani vs Saraya on vol. 43 or 44 as a farewell before she heads off to FCW. These two volumes look fantastic, probably some of Shimmer's finest work to date. Can't wait to see them.

Reactions: SHIRLEY
#363 ·

Already signed for this afternoon at the Berwyn Eagles Club...

***SHIMMER Tag Team Title Match***
[Champions] AYAKO HAMADA & AYUMI KURIHARA vs. MADISON EAGLES & SARA DEL REY

***NO HOLDS BARRED/ANYTHING GOES***
SERENA DEEB vs. PORTIA PEREZ

***FIRST TIME EVER/INTERNATIONAL DREAM MATCH***
CHEERLEADER MELISSA vs. KANA

MERCEDES MARTINEZ vs. "The Wrestling Goddess" ATHENA

"Everybody's Favorite Girlfriend" JESSIE McKAY vs. BRITANI KNIGHT

"Your Soul's Tormentor" MsCHIF vs. TOMOKA NAKAGAWA

Also in action: NICOLE MATTHEWS, SARAYA KNIGHT, HIROYO MATSUMOTO, KELLIE SKATER, YUMI OHKA, ASHLEY LANE, CHRISTINA VON EERIE, ALLISON DANGER, LEVA BATES, DAVINA ROSE, NIKKI ROXX, ARIEL, MIA YIM, LUFISTO, MELANIE CRUISE, MENA LIBRA, KALAMITY, COURTNEY RUSH, NEVAEH, SASSY STEPHIE, BONESAW, VEDA SCOTT, TAYLOR MADE, and more!

#364 ·

Vol. 41 & 42 look awesome. Nice to see Ashley Lane back in Shimmer. Daizee quitting is interesting. I think she'll likely have some sort of role backstage helping Prazak out on Shimmer shows as well as running the ROH Wrestling School with Delirious. And obviously taking a break from wrestling.

Eagles & Death Rey as a Tag Team should be awesome. I wouldn't mind them winning the titles either and going onto have quite a long title run. Serena vs Portia in a No Holds Barred match is going to be great, as is Melissa vs Kana.

#368 ·

Vol. 41 & 42 look awesome. Nice to see Ashley Lane back in Shimmer. Daizee quitting is interesting. I think she'll likely have some sort of role backstage helping Prazak out on Shimmer shows as well as running the ROH Wrestling School with Delirious. And obviously taking a break from wrestling.

Eagles & Death Rey as a Tag Team should be awesome. I wouldn't mind them winning the titles either and going onto have quite a long title run. Serena vs Portia in a No Holds Barred match is going to be great, as is Melissa vs Kana.
Daizee is also studying Exercise Science in College apparently

#370 ·

After watching Shimmer #40..there's only one thing that immediately comes to mind...ATHENA! ATHENA! ATHENAA! ATHENA!

#373 ·

Athena is definitely one impressive gal. How long has she been wrestling for?

#375 ·

Wow, that's surprising. It's great to see how well she's doing for herself already. She's got a bright future ahead of her.

#376 ·

Here's a question that's been thrown around before. Most of women's wrestlers of note have either shown up at SHIMMER, or are regulars at SHIMMER.

But are there any wrestlers out there currently that you would love to see at SHIMMER's next taping?

Personally, since she got back into wrestling like a week or two ago, I'll throw in that I would like to see Tiana Ringer return to SHIMMER. I mean, she wrestled the first ever SHIMMER match, so it'd be nice to see her return and see how much the environment has changed.

Another? Unfortunately I don't think this one would happen due to WSU needing her to be booked as an unstoppable force of pure evil (and that is NOT a negative), and probably because she has other bookings, including from her own promotion.

But Sassy Stephanie is in SHIMMER. Allysin Kay showed up recently at SHIMMER.

I want to see Jessicka Havok in SHIMMER.

#381 ·
But are there any wrestlers out there currently that you would love to see at SHIMMER's next taping?
With the exception of Jessica Havoc they have all the big names already that arent from Japan or Mexico.

Alpha Female might be interesting to add, although Melanie Cruise is also tall so could play a similair role.

I'd love to see some lucha action (Amapola, Marcela, Apaches or Lolita), but appearently thats not realistic.

Out of the Japanese talent i want Mima Shimoda, she is a perfect heel and is relatively cheap to fly in (she lives in Mexico). Meiko Satomura and Nana Takahashi would be 2 great additions as well.

I'm still hoping to see Gail Kim in a Shimmer ring. I know it's not the popular answer but I just want to see her perform with women who can keep up.
A more interesting question is, can SHE keep up with the other women? She has wrestled in TNA/WWE her entire life, the only 2 periods where she worked the indies was before her first WWE run (when she was just average) and about 1 year after she was fired from WWE where she faced mostly minor indy names.
Minus Kong i dont think she ever faced any of the big indy names before, so we have no idea how she will perform. But it definately would be interesting to see her face some talented women in the indies before she moves to TNA.

#377 ·

- Mio & Io Shirai, Makoto, Syuri. May not be even remotely realistic though.
- CVE and Candice LeRae were two that I always thought should be brought in. Although I'm not mad on LeRae. Obviously, CVE came in.
- Alpha Female and/or Jenny Sjodin could replace Britani Knight as a European.
- Becky Bayless, in some capacity. Charismatic as fuck.

#379 ·

- Mio & Io Shirai, Makoto, Syuri. May not be even remotely realistic though.
- CVE and Candice LeRae were two that I always thought should be brought in. Although I'm not mad on LeRae. Obviously, CVE came in.
- Alpha Female and/or Jenny Sjodin could replace Britani Knight as a European.
- Becky Bayless, in some capacity. Charismatic as fuck.
Mio is showing up at Joshimania, and Makoto has also been at Chikara.

So there's a chance. Syuri less so.

And I totally agree with the rest. It would have been awesome to see Kana take on Jenny Sjodin. And Becky wasn't used enough at SHIMMER when she was around.

#378 ·

Havok is one I've been waiting on for a long a time. I find it so weird that she's never worked for them before, considering she's arguably the biggest North American women's wrestling name who has never worked for SHIMMER. But I guess the WSU stuff is a big factor there. She's a great talent, hopefully they get it all sorted and use her soon. I'd love to see her in the ring with Del Rey.

Jenny Sjodin is another one. She's making a great name for herself in Europe, I'd love for her to get a break in the States. She's another good, uprising talent who's damn unique too. Along with her, it'd be cool if they could do a British invasion of sorts with some of the girls from EVE and the like.

I'm hoping Cherry Bomb gets onto the main roster at the next tapings too. She's definitely good enough and experienced enough now.

#382 ·

I'd love to see Mickie James go to Shimmer for a few shows. She had a lot of "indy promise" in the early days of ROH and I'd love to see her matched up against Portia Perez, Serena Deeb, Mia Yim (NEW rematch in Shimmer? Hell yeah!), Sara Del Rey. Some good match possibilities really.

#388 ·
Hooray for the thread change!

Now I can talk about WSU. Okay, how does everyone feel about the Melina/Serena match?

Like Gail Kim, I'm a bit worried that Melina has been in the mainstream for so long that she may not expect the type of brutality that Serena can dish out. If she can, if she can put up a great match in the Indies, I think that will prove what Gail was talking about (aka: the E holds back the divas big time).

She has a lot to prove, IMO. I had a lot of expectations when it came to Mickie and Victoria/Tara going to TNA, and to be honest, they didn't really pan out. Mickie's matches haven't really been that much better in TNA than they were in the E, but for a little while, Tara's matches were.

WSU isn't TNA, and Serena will bring it big time if need be. Annie Social found that out at a recent WSU show (and dished it back), so if Melina doesn't live up to the hype, it'll show.

However, I'm WAY more excited about the Wargames match.

#392 ·
The match is happening on the IPPV Breaking Barriers 2.

About ring rust. I've heard of people coming back from years of retirement and being a-ok, if not better. Acutally, that happened like two weeks ago with Tiana Ringer.

It matters what Melina has been doing post-release.

Speaking of Annie Social, what's the general consensus on her so far? I haven't seen much of her work and I haven't heard much, good or bad, about her. How good (or bad) is she?
I'm a fan of Annie Social.

For someone who got their start via mud, oil, and nude wrestling, she's much better than people would expect. She's not the most athletic wrestler, but a good worker, fun on the mic, and is pretty charismatic.

For the most part, she's a perennial mid-carder/tag wrestler. So like a tier below the Nikki Roxx upper-mid carder, sometimes main eventer tier.

#390 ·
I'm interested to see what Melina can actually do in the match, I'm going in with low expectations in the hopes that she can surprise me and pull it out the bag.

I really need to get caught up on my WSU watching I still have the 7 shows from this year to watch.

#397 ·
I really need to get caught up on my WSU watching I still have the 7 shows from this year to watch.
You know, I've actually been using clickwrestle.com to catch up on WSU, and I'm pretty much up to date. Not everything on WSU is worth watching, kinda like CZW. There's plenty of awesome stuff that happens in the promotion, and their main event area is really entertaining, but yeah, there's a bit of a distance in talent when it comes to the WSU roster.

Then again, I've said that before, and then Lexxus put on an uber long, pretty good match against Mercedes Martinez, so it may just be me underestimating the roster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.