Cheerleader Melissa vs. Misaki Ohata ***

SHIMMER Tag Team Title Match

The Canadian Ninjas vs. Nikki Roxx and Ariel **¼

Ayako Hamada vs. Daizee Haze ***

Ayumi Kurihara vs. Sara Del Rey ***¾

SHIMMER Title Match

MsChif vs. Madison Eagles **¾

My first SHIMMER show and it certainly isn't going to be my last
Enjoyed the vast majority of the show with it really picking up with the last few matches
Del Rey/Kurihara was freaking great and easily MOTN. Main event was somewhat disappointing but still pretty enjoyable
Already looking forward to ordering more SHIMMER

#1,766 ·
ROH: Defy or Deny

Mark Briscoe vs. Kyle O'Reilly: ***½
Real good opener. Loving the dueling suplex sequence, this match like the one o’reily had with Jay, was fast paced and just great action throughout, not a dull moment.

Steve Corino and Grizzly Redwood vs. The All Night Express: **
Corino’s way to over the top with the way he trys to stop himself from his usual heel tactics. ANX still looks good but Grizzly shouldn’t be getting offense in against them, never mind being the hot tag in a tag match. The guy has no credibility and I just can’t take him seriously and in turn it makes ANX look bad. Good double teams from ANX but nothing more really to this match, unless you really like Grizzly.

Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa: ***
Good match, could have been a little quicker and crisper, but overall good stuff from both guys.

Chris Hero vs. TJ Perkins: ****
Damn, awesome. Kicks from Perkins, Elbows from Hero, hell of a match, with an excellent finish. You want back and forth, hard hitting action mixed with some good mat wrestling as well, check this match out.

The Bravado Brothers vs. Matt Taven and Guy Alexander: ½*
Moving on, still don’t see anything in the Bravados.

Eddie Edwards vs. Michael Elgin: ****
Hard Hitting right out the gate and didn’t stop from there. These guys have some excellent chemistry and this match really stood to me as Elgin’s breakout match. After this match, it just makes me think how great a rematch for the title could be.

World TV Title Match: Christopher Daniels vs. Mike Bennett: ***
Good enough match. Bennett still isn’t impressive enough. I don’t think we’ll ever see Bennett in a four star match, this was good enough though mainly due to Daniels.

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Davey Richards: ****¼
Another really great match, that showcased both guys, the intensity and skills these two have is great. Just like Hero/Perkins this match didn’t have a slow moment. Sick last few minutes and Claudio’s fall away off the 2nd rope was nasty.

Roderick Strong vs. El Generico vs. Homicide vs. Jay Briscoe: ***¾
Really picked up after Homicide got eliminated, and got even better when it got down to Generico/Strong, overall real good 4 way elimination match. For a main event that wasn’t a title match these guys did a hell of a job getting the crowd into it, unfortunate HOT interference again though.

Overall: 8.0/10
A really strong show; you’ve got a really good opener with mark/oreily, and four matches at ***¾ or better, it’s a little on the long side with some unnecessary promos, but if you just watch the 5 really good – excellent matches you’re in for a hell of a show. ​

#1,768 ·
I'd agree with everything kwjr86 said except for the main event. It did get better once Homicide was eliminated, but the Homicide/Strong alliance just ended out of nowhere and for the ending they went with they probably could have shaved a few minuets off. Shocked how good Elgin/Edwards was, Ciampa looked much better then he did in Atlanta and easily Bennett's best match in ROH (though that's not saying much and he still looked lost in certain parts).

#1,769 ·
Glory by Honor IX 09/11/10 (7.5/10.0)

Jay Briscoe vs. Kenny King **1/2

Mark Briscoe vs. Rhett Titus **3/4

Ballz Mahoney & Grizzly Redwood vs. Erick Stevens & Necro Butcher **

El Generico & Colt Cabana vs. Kevin Steen & Steve Corino ***3/4

Eddie Edwards vs. Shawn Davari **1/2

Austin Aries vs. Christopher Daniels ***1/2

The Kings of Wrestling vs. The Worlds Greatest Tag Team ***3/4

Tyler Black vs. Roderick Strong **3/4

Only 3 matches really delivered worthwhile matches, but I was kind of expecting more from each. Probably the weakest iPPV from 2010. The main event was horrible and Terry Funk looked lost as a referee, and was actually getting in the way sometimes.​

#1,770 ·
NWA Force 1 - The Relaunch 2.0

Winner Gets Spot in Six Pack Challenge
Devon Moore vs. Ty Hagen - **

Alex Colon vs. Joe Ettel - **

Niles Young vs. Hybrid - *

Rich Swann vs. Sugar Dunkerton - **1/2

F1 Heritage Title
Frightmare vs. Ryan Eagles vs. Ryan Slater vs. Lince Dorado - ***

Last Man Standing
Greg Excellent vs. JT Roberts - **

The Monster Squad vs. DJ Hyde - *

F1 Tag Team Titles
Osirian Portal vs. The Black Gate Asylum (Alex Payne & Pelle Primeau) - ***1/4

F1 Title - Six Pack Challenge
Joe Gacy vs. Sabian vs. RV1 vs. Sami Callihan vs. Johhny Calzone vs. Devon Moore - **1/4

Mostly boring show as the only good matches were the Heritage title 4-way and the surprising tag title match. Some of the people they have in the main event are absolutely horrendous (Calzone, Sabian) while some are just dull (Gacy, RV1).

#1,775 ·
Pretty good. Would like to see him and Frightmare have a match because those interactions were the best of the match, but really the only problem was Ryan Slater dragging & slowing everyone else down.

#1,774 ·
An "open letter" to Steve Corino from Brutal Bob...

Dear Steve,

You ain’t a part of the plan. You never were.

I don’t normally waste my time writing but since the ROH fans seem to live on their computers, here goes.

I’m damn good at what I do, Corino, and you know it! I took Mike Bennett, with all the raw talent in the world and made him an instant star in ROH. Judging by the looks of the joint, these people needed a new shining light, and I provided that in The Prodigy.

I had a plan, which Bennett executed perfectly. With a bunch of wins over everyone, including Colt Cabana, six-time tag team champion Mark Briscoe, Adam Cole, Kyle O’Reilly, and YOU, Bennett was undefeated. Just 5 months into his ROH career and The Prodigy was about to defeat Christopher Daniels for the TV Title in Plymouth, MA. Then you barged in and interfered, sticking your nose where it didn’t belong, costing Bennett a victory. We had no beef with you, Corino, until that fateful day in March. The beating we put on you in New York as well as Dearborn was a reminder that you can’t hold a candle to The Prodigy.

Two weeks ago in Toronto was my favorite Corino-Prodigy Life Lesson. You held your own for a while but after I calmly tried to tell the ref about your evil ways, you used your “Thumb” on me like some sort of a deviant! That’s why you got a Team Prodigy spike piledriver after the match. Another battle which you lost by the way.

I guess you think you have the last laugh, because my alleged interference led me to get banned from Chicago this Saturday when you face Bennett one more time. On what promises to be one of the biggest nights in company history I won’t be there for The Prodigy! I’m furious I can’t be at ringside and it’s all your fault! But our plan is still in place. World Championship gold is on the horizon. If a has-been has to be kicked out of the way first, so be it.

I’ve been called an old, bitter f**k but at least I’m that way on the outside. You, my friend, are old and bitter on the inside. You’re a loser and a coward and are your own worst enemy. Stop trying to be someone you’re not. You can’t soar with the eagles when your scratching with the turkeys. Leave The Prodigy alone and retire already.

Brutal Bob Evans

#1,777 ·
ROH Only the Strong Survive​

Bravado Brothers vs Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly - **3/4
-Decent opener, no qualms here. Can't make up my mind about the Bravados; they're either pretty entertaining or totally indy-riffic, I'm not sure yet.

Caprice Coleman vs Rhett Titus - **1/4
My first look at Coleman, I was pretty impressed, he seems quite slick in the ring.

Colt Cabana vs Grizzly Redwood - **

Mike Bennett vs Cedric Alexander - *
-Still not enamoured by Bennett.

Christopher Daniels vs Claudio Castagnoli - ***3/4
-Fantastic finishing stretch, I'd love to see a rematch on a grander scale; an NYC show perhaps.

Andy Ridge & Steve Corino vs Alabama Attitude (Mike Posey and Corey) - *1/2

Chris Hero vs Davey Richards - ****

El Generico vs Homicide vs Kenny King vs Mark Briscoe - ***

Roderick Strong vs Jay Briscoe - ****
-Some incredibly believable nearfalls in this one, I was hooked from the second Jay got busted open.

Overall: Mediocre first half but things pick up with Daniels/Castagnoli. Alongside the main event and Hero/Richards, these three matches make the show a worthwhile investment. It still feels like a B show, but a high end one at least.

Next up: Socal Showdown II.

#1,778 ·
Another ROH sale!

FOUR DAY DVD SALE

Don’t miss this special four day sale running until Saturday morning exclusively in the ROH Online Store. It’s time to stock your DVD collection with those missing shows before they’re gone. Over 90 titles are currently included and will remain on sale until the weekend or while supplies last. Straight Shootin’ titles are on sale for only $2 each. Ring of Honor DVD’s from 2002-2008 on sale for only $6 each while most titles from 2009 are available for only $8 each.

Click on the link below and look at pages 5-12 to see all of the ROH show titles that are included:
http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=1#5

Click on the link below and check out pages 2-3 to see the Straight Shootin’ titles that are on sale for $2 each:
http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=8#2

Sale prices are valid until Saturday, May 21st at 10 AM EST. Offer is only valid on new orders placed at ROHWrestling.com. No adjustments to prior purchases.

#1,779 ·
ROH Defy Or Deny

Kyle O'Reilly vs Mark Briscoe

All Night Express vs Steve Corino & Grizzly Redwood
*1/2

Adam Cole vs Tommaso Ciampa

Chris Hero vs TJ Perkins

Bravado Brothers vs Matt Taven and Guy Alexander
1/2*

Eddie Edwards vs Michael Elgin
****1/4

Christopher Daniels vs Mike Bennett - ROH TV Championship
**1/2

Claudio Castagnoli vs Davey Richards

Roderick Strong vs El Genrico vs Jay Briscoe vs Homicide
***1/2

#1,788 ·
I freakin love this wannabe-WWE-persona Bennett is bringing. It's far from original, but still one of the best tactics to draw heat from a smark audience. "...I'm the fastest rising superstar, I'm the best entertainer". Awesome. He reminds me of Joey Ryan in more than one way.

Can't really say I enjoyed much else. If I didn't know better, judging from that promo, I'd look at Shelton as a "forever indy" guy. Terrible. Hero's wasn't that good either, but as a fan I know he's capable of better. It dragged on and failed to keep me interested.

Oh, and that sequence we saw in the end really killed any interest I might've had in watching that match.

#1,786 ·
PWG - DDT4 2011

First Round
The Young Bucks vs. Brandon Gatson & Willie Mack - ***
Hella fun opener. Gatson & Mack are deceptively quick or their size.

The American Wolves vs. RockNes Monsters - ***3/4
Really surprised by how much how I enjoyed this. Though it would just be an extended squash but it turned out to be quite long and my 2nd favorite match of the night.

The Kings of Wrestling vs. The Cutler Brothers - **1/2
I couldn't really get into this. Felt like an off match for the Kings and the Cutlers just don't do anything for me.

The Briscoes vs. Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa - ***1/4
This was great, but ended way too soon.

Semi-Finals
The American Wolves vs. The Young Bucks - ***1/2+
Superkicks.

The Kings of Wrestling vs. Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa - ***3/4

Joey Ryan Invitational Gauntlet
Ryan Taylor vs. Brian Cage-Taylor vs. Peter Avalon vs. Candice LeRae vs. Joey Ryan - **1/2
Unnecessary Benoit comments, but it is PWG...

Finals
The Young Bucks vs. Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa - ****
I really enjoyed this over any other match in the tournament. Steen's selling was good, the blood added a nice touch, and the nearfalls were great. And of course lots of superkicks.

Overall: 8/10
Great show, great tournament.

#1,787 ·
I really don't consider Benoit jokes to be that offensive anymore, as I've laughed at and created my fair share of them.

#1,789 ·

ROH: Manhattan Mayhem IV

Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly vs. Michael Elgin and Mike Mondo: ***
Mondo looked decent, nothing special. Cole, O’Reily and Elgin all looked awesome like usual and made this match really good and a quality opener.

Grizzly Redwood vs. Tomasso Ciampa: ½*
Ciampa’s supposed to be a monster, he shouldn’t be doing anything but squashing Grizzly in under a minute in this match, nevermind selling his shitty offense and needing help to beat Grizzly.

Steve Corino vs. "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett: **
Decent. Nothing more, nothing less. Hate the thumb bs, besides that Corino looks good, but Bennett, just is so meh, and the sideslam finish is just terrible.

Jay and Mark Briscoe vs. The All Night Express: ***¾
ANX has gotten leaps and bounds better than they were, and pissed off don’t give a f@#% briscoes are awesome. Once Rhett got busted open this got intense, and you can just feel the crowd begin to turn on the briscoes and get behind anx, the hot tag finally to King lit the crowd up. Post match is pure greatness and well executed.

El Generico vs. TJ Perkins: ***
Great nonstop action throughout but 7 minutes? What the hell. Loved the finish but it just happened so quickly, I wanted more, these guys with 15-20 would’ve easily been a **** match. Does it makes sense for this match and Ciampa/Grizzly to be the same length? No.

The Kings of Wrestling vs. Homicide and Hernandez: ***¾
Hell of a fun match, best Cide’s look since his return, and Hernandez looked great, and the Kings are the Kings, they had the crowd in the palm of their hand, and there were some really great spots, including Hernandez launching Cide over the ring post on to the kings, great stuff.

Christopher Daniels vs. Davey Richards: ****
Unfortunate finish aside, these guys just have such great chemistry, the pure rules made this match even better with the rope assisted submissions after each guys breaks were gone, if Davey hit the shooting star and got the win which I assume was the planned finish, I’d have bumped this up even higher; just an unfortunate mishap, but it doesn’t take away from the 20 minutes of greatness these guys put in.

Roderick Strong vs. Eddie Edwards: ****½
This is how you do a title change. Excellent match, brutal chops and forearms throughout, they both gave each other everything and nothing would put the other down, the last 5 minutes or so is near perfect. The pop was incredible for the 3 and I still marked out when happened just like I had when in saw it live.

Overall: 8.25/10
The first hour or so of this show is incredibly tough to get through, promos before each match and something post match as well, and beside the opener, the matches were subpar. Briscoes/ANX definitely was better than any encounter they’d had up to this point and makes you want more, especially with the post match. Generico/TJP is a great display of wrestling but nothing more nothing less due to its short time. Kings/LAX is one hell of a fun match, Daniels/Richards great wrestling as usual, aside from the unfortunate finish, and Eddie/Roddy makes this show. The main event is well worth the purchase, and theres 4 strong under card matches, definitly worth a purchase and because of the title match a smidge better than Defy or Deny.

#1,790 ·
Wanted to type more about Deny Or Defy last night but I didn't have the time. Thought the show was great as you could probably tell by my ratings.

Bennett and Corino had an awesome promo to kick the show off. Was one of the most enjoyable promos I've seen in a long time and it was a nice change to see a ROH show open with a strong promo to keep a feud going without having those two guys in a match together. I might consider Corino one of the best mic workers going atm after this. Bennett isn't good enough in the ring but he's a good mic worker. This was a great start to the show!

O'Reilly vs Mark was a good opener. Wasn't anywhere near as good as his opener with Jay which I loved but you'd expect a match with Mark to be weaker than one with Jay. O'Reilly's quickly becoming one of the most consistent guys on the Indies and one of the few guys who I'd watch against nearly anyone.

ANX tag wasn't good, quite bad actually. King & Titus barely ever look good when they're in the ring with lower card teams. They just looked really ordinary. Corino's character is awesome right now with his "recovery" and it adds some much needed strength to the undercards which generally suck but do seem to be improving now at least. Match was laid out really bad.

Cole vs Ciampa was really good. Breakthrough performance of sorts for Ciampa. When I've seen him before he's looked completely bland like he had nothing to show for himself but he did that at least here and looked like a decent worker. Cole isn't anywhere near as good as O'Reilly as a natural wrestler to really get over as a babyface for me. He looks fine in tags but as a singles worker he doesn't stand out that much. When he turns heel and feuds with O'Reilly he'll break through though. Shame they didn't make more subtle hints regarding Mia & Cole but why would they I guess. Mia's kick to Cole was insane.

The placing of the Cole/O'Reilly/Bravado's skit was odd. Cole was just shown going to the back selling the match and then next thing you see is him out of his gear talking to O'Reilly. They couldn't have placed this after Hero/TJ and before the Bravado's match? Don' let O'Reilly speak any more than he needs to either.

Hero/TJ was awesome. Heaps better than TJ's match with Davey and peaking ahead of the O'Reilly match too. They played really nicely off off the size difference with Hero constantly getting the upper hand when it came down to a battle of strength or leverage. TJ getting fired up and throwing stiff strikes at Hero and Hero returning them was great. Hero kept the elbows minimal and that made them seem more effective when he did hit one. Loved the finish. Kinda sudden but if fit the match and they need to give more non finisher moves pins. Hero's rolling kick is awesome and I loved him getting the win with it. I get why they're not big on bringing in outside talent, especially from Japan but it's clear what a big difference it makes to their shows just bringing in someone like TJP.

Bravodo's match wasn't good but it got them over as heels I guess. They're not very good in the ring at all and they're not even all that on the mic but they've got great characters which helps them a lot.

Edwards/Elgin was fantastic and MOTN for me. Loved the old school vibe mixed in with the modern Indy moves. They really showed that you can still have a great wrestling match without having to work the flawed current style that so many think they need to do in order to get over. Both men have their flaws but they both play to their strengths and cover up any shortcomings that they may have perfectly. Edwards is an awesome underdog, Elgin is an awesome powerhouse and together they match up brilliantly. There was one kid in the crowd and Eddie gave him a high five and it was so great seeing this kid turn around like it was the greatest moment of his life being high fived by a wrestler. I love stuff like that which makes wrestling so fun, kinda like how girls would go to Mid South shows in the 80's just to run to the front row when the Fantastics or the Rock N Roll's came out so they could get a kiss off them. Elgin really showed here that he can be more than a spotty power freak. That's his selling point though so he still does all of that but he looked much more natural in the ring too. The moonsault catch on the outside into the inverted OKL stampede was a phenomenal spot and it led to a rare but great count out tease. Loved the spot where Elgin went for a lariat with his right arm three times in a row but Edwards kept dodging them so Elgin just took his head with a lariat from his left side. Finishing stretch is one of the best I've seen in a while and it didn't rely on big kickouts to get the match over. Truth's interference was done really well and the double achilles lock was an awesome spot. Edwards shouting ELGIN as he hit big moves was a bit goofy but it played nicely into him shouting RODERICK for the finish. Set the title match up really well and got Eddie over perfectly as the underdog challenger that everyone could get behind.

Unlike Ciampa and Elgin, Bennett didn't have a breakthrough performance on this show. Daniels did his best in the match but Bennett is just so bland and boring in the ring. The chinlock rest holds are so boring and his control segments are about as drawn out as some of Miz's but worse. Daniels' reaction when he backdropped Bennett on the outside was by far the highlight. Daniels/Corino interaction at the end was nice. I'll say this for Hunter's booking, I'm not the biggest fan of some of the matches that he puts together and the way his matches are laid out but he seems to have the nack of long term booking down to a tee. It's really clear when you watch the DVD shows when they come out and you can see where it's leading to as you're 2-3 months ahead of that show. It would have been perfect if they could have got this weekend of shows out before the double iPPV because they set them up perfectly with Daniels turning and Eddie taking the belt.

Davey vs Claudio had quite a few flaws but it was still good enough to reach **** which says a lot about how good the good parts of the match were. Gonna get the negatives out of the way first. I dont know if Davey's new gimmick is gonna be that he's not safe on the top rope and constantly botches stuff up off there or if it's leading anywhere at all. If not then it's a really tragic coincidence that he's made 3 major fuck ups on the ropes lately. 2 on that weekend and against against King on one of the Revolution shows. This one seemed the safest of the botches but it could have been really bad. Davey also had some of the flaws that hinder all of his matches. The stupid facials, screams and generally awful unnatural selling were all there. Like I said though this was indeed great. Started off brilliantly with some awesome david/goliath dynamic. Loved using his speed to gain the upper hand after Claudio's power just cut him off every time and it led perfectly to the dive spot. Davey's now gone from having the most ludacris dive to pulling out probably the safest suicide dive here that I have ever seen. Claudio is freakishly strong (dunno if anyone here has noticed yet) and he uses it really well in his matches now. The top rope fall away slam was incredible, especially after how badly the last time they were both on the top rope ended up for them. Davey's running kick on the apron missing Claudio but hitting Hagadorn and then turning around to catch Claudio with a flying DDT was a super sweet spot too. Finish had some big kickouts but it was how a Indy style finish should be done if they want it to be effective. The rest of the show didn't have any big kickouts in the finish which was great for those matches but it also made the false finishes in this match more buyable. Only doing a big dramatic finish in one match per show will be great and it'll make them so much more effective when they do come along. They did it perfectly here too as the guy kicking out was the guy who took the fall. Don't mind people kicking out of big moves as long as they don't make a sudden comeback and start hitting big moves themselves.

4 way was barely watchable until Homicide got eliminated and then it got really good. Very much a match of two halves. Strong and Cide are totally irrelevant to me atm and do literally nothing for me. Liked how although there were 3 faces in there with Strong, they all had heat between themselves. They made sure to recognise the past feuds with Jay between Cide and Generico and there was also heat between Generico and Cide. Still not sure what the point in Cide giving Generico a post match cop killa was but pretty much everything Hunter has booked so far has made sense in the end so maybe it'll lead somewhere although I'm not too sure about that one. The Strong/Cide alliance was really strange and just a total turn off. Thankfully Cide was the first eliminated thankfully. Then when it got to Jay/Strong/Generico they had a really fun 3 way segment with some great high flying spots. Generico/Strong was the right choice to finish it and hardly surprising that they had a good finishing stretch together. Really loved how they booked Strong to come out of the match without actually pinning anyone cleanly. Interference at the end was booked about as well as a run in for a main event match can be done. Whole booking of the match was spot on. Eliminations were in the correct order and each guy was booked as they should have been.

So yeah the show was super overall. 3 great matches and 3 solid matches. Most importantly though it was really easy to sit through, was enjoyable and had some fine wrestling matches. None of the matches had any stupid Indy flaws which put me off modern Indy matches so much and they only part of the show I hated was Cide/Strong. This was imo better than any of the iPPVs that they've done so far this year and probably the best show since Supercard Of Honor last year, at least definitely in terms of enjoyment.

#1,793 ·
Bennett better start using this gimmick to make his matches more interesting then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.