Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#2,453 ·
I was gonna watch that DVD soon. Sounds much better than I thought it would be.

WSU is like SHIMMER's skanky sister. I can't really watch it because it's too scuzzy.

I watched some of Hybrid's TV show once and the production values were horrendous. They have some good talent but the overall product is crap.

#2,459 ·
Yeah I was really surprised it was that good. The Jacobs/Boz match was much better than I was expecting. Just be warned that the production is pretty low rate.

And an all women's wrestling company that's based in New Jersey I think would have to be scuzzy by definition.

#2,455 ·
EVOLVE 5: DANIELSON vs SAWA​

Chuck Taylor vs Mike Quackenbush
Your Basic match. Good for an opener nothing very impressive. Good chemistry between the two.
**3/4

Up in Smoke vs Flip Kendrick and Luis Lyndon
Average tag match, lots of standard action. Both teams working high-flying style and Kendrick\Lyndon being less comical than their previous matches.Which is a bad thing, but logical if you thing that they are 1-3, they have to get serious.
**1/2

Jimmy Jacobs vs Adam Cole
I saw that more of a storyline promoting match. Jacobs and Cole are very good in the ring, but the wrestling, man I just didn't feel it. The hatred and stuff was all good but imo they couldn't connect.
**1/2

Sami Callihan vs Drake Younger
First of all, I am a big fan of Sami. Having watches Callihan's promo you were really pumped up for this. The match itself was a hard hitting brawl as you'd expect. Few flaws that didn't hurt the flow. Callihan bad blading made him bleed a gallon from a ring post collision.

Jon Moxley vs Frigthmare vs Johnny Gargano vs Rich Swann vs Brad Allen vs Gran Akuma
I had high expectations for this one. They weren't of course fulfilled but it doesn't mean it was a bad match. It was very fast from the start. with good flow. Very enjoyable actually. The negatives, it was too spotty and too sloppy especially Frightmare.
***1/4

WSU World Title match: Mercedez Martinez (c) vs Amazing Kong.
Wasn't impressed with that either. Mercedez squashed all her previous opponents and Kong was her first serious challenger. It had the potential, but Evolve didn't take it seriously so it was a glorified squash to my eyes.

Kyle O'Reily vs Ricochet
Wow. Really liked the match. I was afraid that the styles clash between them would be a negative factor, but i was wrong thank god. Quality match, with a combination of hard kicks and submissions from Kyle and exceptional resilience and aerial ability from Ricochet. Could be the MOTN

Bryan Danielson vs Munenori Sawa
Standar Danielson main event match, Very stiff and lots of technical skill by Bryan who carried Sawa along the match. Brutal match, not very long.
***3/4

Above average show, a fun way to spend 2 hours of your summer spare time. DVD Rating:3+/5

Reactions: FITZ
#2,456 ·
Cole & O'Reilly sign...

Ring of Honor officials are happy to announce that two more athletes have signed on the dotted line with ROH. Adam Cole & Kyle O’Reilly, fresh off the biggest weekend of their careers at “Tag Team Turmoil 2011” & “No Escape”, have put their signature to paper and have re-signed with ROH.

Cole & O’Reilly recently earned a future Tag Team Title opportunity in Richmond, VA with their victory over The Bravados in the Tag Contenders Lottery, and proved their mettle against The American Wolves the following night in Charlotte, NC. Unfortunately O’Reilly suffered an accidental injury at the hands of Eddie Edwards in that match, and had been ordered to rest it.

“Adam and Kyle have proven themselves against the best teams in ROH this year.” stated Executive Producer Jim Cornette, “With their fights against The Briscoes, the Kings, Haas & Benjamin, and the Wolves…not to mention earning themselves a title shot, Cole and O’Reilly are poised to make 2011 their year here in ROH.”

Cole & O’Reilly are scheduled to be in action when ROH returns to Chicago Ridge, IL on August 13th for our 1st ever SBG TV Tapings and Kyle assures ROH officials that he will be 100% and ready to go in time for that historic date. Tickets for that live event can be found here, http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=201, and keep an eye on ROHWrestling.com for all the details about the TV Tapings!

#2,460 ·
AIW - Who’s NXT - The Best of Tyrone Evans/Michael Tarver

Set It Off (4/30/06)
Tyrone Evans vs. Johnny Gargano - *

Uprise (8/19/06)
Tyrone Evans vs. The Thrillbilly - N/R

Hell On Earth 2 (10/7/06) - Last Man Standing
Tyrone Evans vs. The Thrillbilly - *

Extreme Is Dead (1/26/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Michael Hutter (Derrick Bateman) - *

Motor City Deathwish (3/31/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Kano - **

Absolution 2 (5/20/07) - Walk Through Hell Match
Tyrone Evans vs. The Thrillbilly - **3/4

Campus Invasion 1 - Strong Style Rules
Tyrone Evans vs. Sami Callihan - **1/4

Tomorrow Never Dies (9/30/07) - Strong Style Rules w/Rounds
Tyrone Evans vs. Eddie Kingston - **3/4

Hell On Earth 3 (10/28/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Jigsaw - **

The Nightmare Before X-Mas (12/16/07)
Tyrone Evans vs. Kano - **

I don’t really know how long Evans was in AIW, but his time there really wasn’t made for a best of. Only his farewell speech at the end of the DVD, his feud-ender with the Thrillbilly and the Kingston match are the worthwhile things on here. And even the Kingston match was hurt with them having rounds randomly instead of just a match.

#2,462 ·
Best Of DVD's are the, uh, best way to go if you're just looking for quality matches. Obviously I could recommend any year of King of Trios, too. 2009's Hiding in Plain Sight, 2010's Wit, Verve and a Bit o' Nerve and the recently-released The Case of the Bulletproof Waldo from a few weeks ago are all excellent as well. It just sorta depends on what you're looking for and how familiar you are with the company.

Reactions: Mattyb2266
#2,464 ·
ROH Tag Title Classic II

Kenny King vs. Adam Cole **½

Colt Cabana vs. Mike Bennett *

Trial Series Match #5

Andy “Right Leg” Ridge vs. Christopher Daniels **¼

“Pick Your Poison” Rematch

Jay and Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen and Steve Corino ***

Four Corner Survival

El Generico vs. Rhett Titus vs. Grizzly Redwood vs. Ricky Reyes **

Kyle O’Reilly vs. TJ Perkins ***¼

Non Title Special Challenge Match
Roderick Strong vs. Sonjay Dutt **¾

ROH World Tag Team Title Match

The Kings of Wrestling vs. The American Wolves ****½

* O'Reilly/TJP was pretty great. Some unique exchanges between the two, and I'm really looking forward to TJP's other ROH matches

* Strong/Dutt was probably one of the better Dutt ROH matches I've seen

* The main event was excellent as expected, however it doesn't even touch the original Tag Title Classic. I also put KOW/Briscoes and MCMG over it in terms of their best title defenses

* Overall a pretty enjoyable show especially for a B show. The only match I wasn't into in the slightest was Cabana/Bennett

#2,466 ·
After getting Quite behind on my ROH Dvds i decided to take advantage of the 25% sale.
I Got:

Defy Or Deny
Manhattan Mayhem IV
Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 1
Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 2
Ring of Honor on HDNet Vol. 7
Ring of Honor on HDNet Vol. 8

Still 3 behind i believe so gotta hurry up and get the rest soon.

#2,468 ·
I'd honestly put Nowhere to Run quite a bit ahead of Manhattan Mayhem. Both have one match that isn't bad but is nothing special (MM opener :: Jacobs vs. Collyer), but if you compare the similar matches, Nowhere to Run tends to come out on top.

The title match? Aries vs. Danielson > Aries vs. Shelley.
Punk vs. Rave? Cage match > Dog-collar match.
Cabana vs. Nigel? Call it a slight push, but I'd go with Chicago.
The mid-card singles? Lethal vs. Joe > Homicide vs. Doug.
The mid-card tag? Strong/Evans vs. Shelley/Delirious > Jacobs/Whitmer vs. Strong/Evans. BY FAR.
The Gibson matches? Call it a surprising push, although it's between Whitmer and a 2005 Romero, both of which sucked pretty badly.
The MM main event, while a lot of fun, isn't all that great by itself. Then again, we are comparing the shows as a whole, rather than piece by piece. My suggestion: watch them both along with The Final Showdown in between to judge for yourself, it'll be the greatest consecutive 9 hours of indy wrestling you've ever watched.

#2,469 ·
I'd have to include Supercard Of Honor III in my best of all time list. Amazing show. Only one match that isn't that good.

Delirious/Go ***1/4
Strong/Stevens ****
Briscoes/AOTF ****1/4
Steenerico/BxB Hulk and SHINGO ****
Nigel/Aries ****1/2
DG 6 man ****1/2

That is what you call a fucking epic show.

#2,470 ·
IPW:UK - The Six Year Anniversary Show

1. British Cruiserweight Title
The Lion Kid vs Rockstar Spud
The Lion Kid looks like someone out of the Wizard of Oz....

2. The All Stars vs Leroy Kincaid & Johnny Moss
**1/2

3. James Tighe vs Joel Redman
**1/2

4. GHC Jr Heavyweight Title Match
Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs Zack Sabre Jr
***1/4

5. No DQ Match
Terry Frazier vs Sha Samuels
**3/4

6. British Heavyweight Title
Dave Mastiff vs Go Shiozaki
***3/4

7. British Tag Titles
Zack Sabre Jr & Marty Scurll vs PAC & Mark Haskins
***3/4

8. Steel Cage
Martin Stone vs Danny Garnell
***-***1/4​

#2,473 ·
IPW:UK - Brawl at the Hall 6

1. The Leaders of the New School vs The All Stars
***1/4

2. Leroy Kincaide vs Martin Stone
**3/4

3. Mark Haskins vs Eddie Edwards
***3/4

4. The All Stars vs Paul London & El Generico
***1/2

5. Joel Redman, Mark Haskins & Terry Frazier vs Iestyn Rees, Wolf Alexander & Gilligan Gordon

6. Dave Mastiff vs Sha Samuels

7. The Leaders of the New School vs Paul London & El Generico
***3/4​

#2,479 ·
ROH Final Battle 2010

The All Night Express vs. Kyle o’Reily and Adam Cole ***½

TJ Perkins vs. Colt Cabana **¼

Sara Del Rey and Serena Deeb vs. Daizee Haze and Awesome Kong **¼

Sonjay Dutt vs. Eddie Edwards

Christopher Daniels vs. Homicide

The Kings of Wrestling and Shane Hagadorn vs. The Briscoe Family ***¼

ROH World Title Match

Roderick Strong vs. Davey Richards ****½

Fight Without Honor

Kevin Steen vs. El Generico ****¾

* What a perfect way to open the show. I'd actually go as far as to say that the opener on this show is one of the best in ROH history. It just ticks all the boxes for what you want to open the biggest show of the year for the company.

* TJP/Cabana reminded me of the undercard matches Cabana had in 2005. A lot of fun to watch with the crowd into the majority of the match.

* Daniels/Homicide sucked. I thought it was bad the first time I watched it but this time it just felt even worse, and the finish? throwing a shirt at your opponent to set up the finish? :confused:

* The six man tag is just so much fun and I still have to give props to Papa Briscoe. He did more in the match then he even needed to.

* I had a feeling I was going to enjoy Davey/Strong a little less this time around but I was wrong. The last 15 minutes feels like the two trying to kill each other, and some of the nearfalls that Davey gets (the SSP and Stronghold roll-up come to mind) were excellent. I'm still not 100% sure about the ending, I mean I love it and it kept Davey looking strong (no pun intended) while Strong looked like a massive prick but was the concussion legit? obviously the problem with Davey's ear was because the new camera angle used on the DVD shows the blood appearing right after Davey's head is lifted off the mat during the post-match. Still an excellent match.

* I don't really know what more can be said about the main event. Intense...Brutal...Insane...Incredible...just a perfect way to cap off the year for ROH really and it takes the spot as my 2010 Match of the Year.

* Overall I loved the show more on my second watch then watching it live. The double main event is excellent, the opener is perfect in getting the fans revved up for the rest of the show and there is fun stuff in between like TJP/Cabana, KOW/Briscoes and the women's tag match. The only two matches I either disliked or didn't care for were Dutt/Edwards and Homicide/Daniels.

#2,480 ·
Man, the more I think about it as a whole, the Steen-Generico feud was by far the best feud ROH has ever crafted. In fact, when you look at everything that sprung from it (the Corino Recovery storyline, Steen as the Antichrist, and Generico as a viable singles champion) nothing in the companies history save for the Summer of Punk even comes close.

#2,482 · (Edited by Moderator)
Chikara - Caught in a Cauldron of Hate

1. Claudio Castagnoli vs Dasher Hatfield
**3/4

2. The UnStable vs 3.0
**3/4

3. Gregory Iron vs Icarus

4. Sugar Dunkerton vs Brodie Lee
**1/2

5. The Colony vs The Osirian Portal
***1/2

6. Young Lions Cup
Frightmare vs Rich Swann

7. Max Boyer vs Tim Donst
N/A

8. Eddie Kingston vs Johnny Gargano

9. Campeonatos de Parejas
Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw vs The Batiri
***1/2

10. Bonus
The UnStable & Dasher Hatfield vs Tigers Mask, Black Buffalo & Tadasuke
**1/2

Chikara - Clutch of Doom

1. Mike Quackenbush vs Green Ant

2. Icarus vs Ophidian

3. The Throwbacks vs The UnStable
**1/4

4. 3.0 vs Los Ice Creams vs The Osirian Portal vs The BDK
***1/4

5. Madison Eagles vs Sara Del Rey

6. The Spectral Envoy vs The Batiri
***1/2

7. Jigsaw vs Tim Donst

8. The Colony vs The BDK
***1/2

9. Bonus
Frightmare & Tsubasa vs The BDK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.