Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#4,991 ·
Dragon Gate USA: Uprising 2011

Sami Callihan vs. Jon Davis vs. Kaleb Conley vs. Pinkie Sanchez vs. Scott Reed vs. Flip Kendrick vs. Louis Lyndon vs. Alex Colon
****1/4
Amazing match, easily match of the night for me. So many awesome spots, the only real bad part of the match was Louis Lyndon, who did about 3 moves throughout the match and nearly botched 1 of them.

Tony Nese vs. Brodie Lee
**1/2

Susumu Yokosuka vs. Austin Aries
**1/2

YAMATO vs. CIMA vs. Masato Yoshino vs. Johnny Gargano
***1/2

Papadon vs. Alex Reynolds

Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Arik Cannon
*1/4

AR Fox vs. Akira Tozawa
**3/4

PAC vs. Ricochet vs. Rich Swann
***1/2

#5,023 ·
To add on to Joe's post about DGUSA, two matches made for that show:

The DGUSA main event has been announced and it is a first-time-ever Three Way Trios Match between three of the top stables in Dragon Gate USA. Check this out:

Three Way Elimination Match
Ronin of Johnny Gargano, Chuck Taylor & Rich Swann
vs.
D.U.F. of Sami Callihan, Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez
vs.
Blood Warriors of Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk & Uhaa Nation

This match is sure to deliver unforgettable action and excitement. Which stable is the best?

We also have another first-time-ever match for March 29th as today's premier high-flyer takes on the potential next high-flying superstar. It will be PAC vs. AR Fox in Hollywood, FL.
Also due the complete disarray that the stable scene is in Japan right now, the company is putting thr annual 6 man in the hands of the wrestlers. CIMa will lead his team and he chooses his partners vs. Akira Tozawa & two partners of his choosing.

Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Akira Tozawa has also been signed for March 30th. Bobby Fish has been added to all 3 shows too.

#5,025 ·
To add on to Joe's post about DGUSA, two matches made for that show:

Also due the complete disarray that the stable scene is in Japan right now, the company is putting thr annual 6 man in the hands of the wrestlers. CIMa will lead his team and he chooses his partners vs. Akira Tozawa & two partners of his choosing.

Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Akira Tozawa has also been signed for March 30th. Bobby Fish has been added to all 3 shows too.
Fucking hell, that's a ton of good news. Bobby Fish is awesome, hopefully he meets with YAMATO and Hulk. Also, Mochizuki and Tozawa wrestled one helluva match last year, at Infinity. Great news all around, and that 3-Way Trios match... Oh boy.

#5,026 · (Edited)
Stayed away from match ratings for a while but wanted more people to be exposed to a little women's wrestling. Had the ratings written down just never posted them, bah enough rambling...

Shimmer Vol. 28
1. Portuguese Princess Ariel vs. Malia Hosaka-1.75/5
2. Kimberly Kash vs. Melanie Cruise-1/5
3. Ashley Lane & Nevaeh vs. Kacey Diamond & Sassy Stephie-2.5/5
4. Nikki Roxx vs. Wesna Busic-2.5/5
5. Rachel Summerlyn vs. Daffney-Feud Progression
6. Jessie McKay & Tenille vs. "The International Home Wrecking Crew" Rain & Jetta with Lacey-2/5
7. Cheerleader Melissa vs. Kellie Skater-2.75/5
8. Mercedez Martinez vs. Cat Power-3/5
9. Allison Danger vs. Nicole Matthews-2/5
10. Ayako Hamada vs. Sara Del Rey-3.5/5
11. SHIMMER Title Match: MsChif vs. Amazing Kong vs. LuFisto-3.25/5

Favorite Gimmicks/Characters
Kacey Diamond
Kellie Skater(instantly became one of my favorites)
Cat Power
Lufisto
MsChif

^Same deal as above.

Shimmer Vol. 35
1. Melanie Cruise vs. Jessica James-2.25/5
2. Mercedes Martinez vs. Misaki Ohata-2.75/5
3. Nikki Roxx & Ariel vs. Daizee Haze & Tomoka Nakagawa-2.75/5
4. Allison Danger vs. Veronika Vice-2.5/5
5. Serena Deeb vs. Portia Perez-2.75/5
6. Amazing Kong vs. Kellie Skater-3/5
7. Rachel Summerlyn vs. Sara Del Rey-2.75/5
8. Ayako Hamada vs. Nicole Matthews-3.25/5
9. Cheerleader Melissa vs. Ayumi Kurihara-3/5
10. SHIMMER Title Match: Madison Eagles vs. Jessie McKay-3.75/5

Favorite Gimmicks/Characters
Nikki ROXX!
Tomoka Nakagawa and Daizee Haze
Portia Perez
Madison Eagles
Kellie Skater

This volume features one of the best/most fun squash matches I've ever seen. Also Portia Perez on commentary!

Vol. 36 and 37 should be arriving here soon, Shimmer is one of my favorite companies off watching vol.28 and 35 alone! The characters/gimmicks, feuds/story lines, I just really enjoy the company. Had lots of fun watching these shows.

*Also shout out to Musdy, Devil Dude, Smitlick and a few others for reviewing almost EVERY SINGLE SHIMMER SHOW! I join you guys in love of women's wrestling*

#5,028 · (Edited)
My interest for Shimmer really comes from the Aussies there working for Shimmer. Very fun promotion though and nice every now and then for something different. You should definitely get the shows that have Nicole Matthews vs Jessie McKay on them.

ROH - 2nd Anniversary Show

1. CM Punk vs John Walters

2. Chris Sabin vs Doug Williams
**3/4

3. Josh Daniels vs Matt Stryker

4. AJ Styles vs Jimmy Rave

5. Scott Clark/Jerk Jackson vs The Ring Crew Express
N/A

6. Special K vs The Carnage Crew
*1/2

7. CM Punk vs Doug Williams
***1/4

8. AJ Styles vs Matt Stryker

9. ROH Tag Titles
The Backseat Boys vs The Briscoe Brothers
**3/4

10. ROH Title
Samoa Joe vs BJ Whitmer vs Low Ki vs Dan Maff
***1/2

11. ROH Pure Title
CM Punk vs AJ Styles
***1/2

ROH - Generation Next

1. Generation Next vs Special K
**1/4

2. Hydro vs Alex Shelley

3. Trent Acid, Danny Daniels & MASADA vs The Carnage Crew
*1/2

4. Nigel McGuiness vs Jimmy Jacobs

5. ROH Tag Titles
The Prophecy vs The Second City Saints
***1/4

6. The Briscoe Brothers vs The Outcast Killaz

7. Generation Next vs The Briscoes, John Walters & Jimmy Rave
****1/2

8. ROH Title No DQ
Samoa Joe vs Homicide
***1/2

ROH - 3rd Anniversary Celebration Part 2

1. Air Devils vs Ring Crew Express
*1/2

2. Puma vs Homicide
**1/4

3. Nigel McGuiness vs Colt Cabana
***1/4

4. ROH Tag Titles
Dan Maff & BJ Whitmer vs Delirious & Jimmy Jacobs
**1/2

5. Spanky vs James Gibson
***3/4

6. Lacey vs Traci Brooks vs Allison Danger vs Daizee Haze
**1/4

7. Alex Shelley vs CM Punk
***1/4

8. Samoa Joe & Bryan Danielson vs Jack Evans & Austin Aries
AMAZING

9. Jimmy Rave vs AJ Styles
***3/4

ROH - 3rd Anniversary Part 3

1. Fast Eddie vs Matt Sydal
**1/4

2. Jack Evans vs Alex Shelley
***1/4

3. Colt Cabana & Nigel McGuiness vs Dan Maff & BJ Whitmer

4. Falls Count Anywhere
Homicide vs Bryan Danielson
***1/4

5. Jimmy Jacobs vs Spanky
***1/2

6. Puma vs James Gibson
***1/2

7. Jimmy Rave vs CM Punk

8. ROH World Title
Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe

Pretty great show.

#5,055 ·
Yeah, the Boston Street Fight is better than Ladder War. In fact, I have the BSF at *****, it's simply sick, brutal and beautiful at the same time. One of the best tag matches in history.

Reactions: flag sabbath
#5,074 ·
I might pick up Final Battle, it's Final Battle after all. Elgin/Perkins, Ciampa/Rave and Strong/Hero were all very entertaining. The WGTT/Briscoes match was very bad in terms of wrestling quality, but was newsworthy, and somehow entertaining, even with the abomination of booking.

Reactions: Scavo
#5,105 ·
https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/t...ire?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

- El Generico has still not responded to ROH officials regarding his return to an ROH ring. Generico has been out of touch since “Final Battle 2011” but we have received word that his injuries have healed enough for him to return to action. The thought of “Wrestling’s Worst Nightmare” Kevin Steen as a regular ROH roster member cannot sit well with the “Generic Luchador” but we hope that this unfortunate turn of events does not discourage Generico from contacting us soon.

#5,135 ·

Dragon Gate UK: SHINGO vs Yokosuka 3

BxB Hulk vs Lion Kid - ***1/2
~ I kinda hate Lion Kid's gimmick but there's no denying he's a good talent and that was very evident here. They had some great exchanges in the 6-man the previous night, and they gelled very well as opponents here. Can't ask for more from an opener.

Naoki Tanizaki vs Akira Tozawa - ***3/4
~ Yeah this was just great. Bit of comedy to start and then shit got real.

Naruki Doi vs Masato Yoshino - ***1/2
~ I actually enjoyed this a lot more on DVD than in person. Some great sequences of reversals which you'd expect from two who know each other so well.

CIMA & Gamma vs Mark Haskins & Marty Scurll - ***1/2
~ OK this was pretty damn good, but not the MOTYC I've seen people tout it as. Maybe that's due to my hatred of Mark Haskins (Hometown: Blandsville), but there you go. Plus, referee Chris Roberts once again tries to ruin this weekend, when Gamma uses the kendo stick in FULL VIEW and Roberts does absolutely nothing. How does this ref still have a job?! Aside from that and Haskins not adding anything to the match, I enjoyed the work of all three others. Scurll has a very bright future ahead of him indeed.

PAC vs Dragon Kid - ****1/4
~ Here we have two of the premier high-flyers in the world going toe to toe and it doesn't disappoint. Infinitely better than their match in Japan earlier last year, this is an exhibition of one-upmanship and incredible feats of athleticism. Both men receive a standing ovation and rightly so.

SHINGO vs Susumu Yokosuka - ****3/4
~ They set the bar incredibly highly in their previous two matches on UK shores, but somehow they managed to surpass both of them. The epic third instalment of the SHINGO-Yokosuka trilogy was just glorious from start to finish. SHINGO sells his injured knees like there's no tomorrow. A fantastic example is when SHINGO pulls off a simple knee drop, and then rolls around on the mat in agony, clearly regretting his ill-judged offense. Both men hit pretty stiffly making for a few cringe moments, and the epic sense of the battle is clear throughout. Also there's no denying the rabid crowd helps the proceedings immensely, they are absolutely molten by the end. A fantastic end to a stellar show.

Overall: 9/10

What a show. It's right up there with PWG BOLA 2011 for Show of the Year. Not a bad match in sight, and a fantastic double-main event; you really should go out of your way to see this.

#5,157 · (Edited)
Just got finished watching CZW 13th anniversary show from last month. What a piece of shit. If you watched the great show known as Cage of Death 13 from the ECW arena then don't even bother with this abomination. First of all it takes place in a skating rink that is one of the all time saddest venues for any top 5 US indy promotion major shows I've ever seen. On top of that there's really nothing special or worth your time in any way on this card. Just one ultra violent match on the entire card and it wasn't even really that violent compared to some of the gruesome stuff they've been on a role with as of late. So if your a true hardcore CZW fan I don't even know how you can defend them on this one. The main event is Scotty Vortex who is now the CZW "world" champion who looks like a wannabe CM Punk. He took on some guy I've never heard of who makes Colin Delaney look like a body builder and he was greener than puke in the ring. The tiny crowd they had wasn't having any of the main event either chanting the usual stupid north east indy smark bullshit. I think I heard a John Cena chant in the main event or something and there was no Cena moves done at all. Just bored crowd being pissed off and exhausted.

Oh yeah I almost that UWF got a match with their own guys and story lines on the card. At this rate CZW will be UWF soon.

#5,168 · (Edited)
Dragon Gate UK: UK Invasion III

Akira Tozawa vs Dragon Kid
***1/2

Gamma vs Naoki Tanizaki

CIMA, Naruki Doi & BxB Hulk vs Mark Haskins, Marty Scurll & Lion Kid

Susumu Yokosuka vs Masato Yoshino
***1/4

SHINGO vs PAC
****1/4

Dragon Gate UK : Shingo v Yokosuka 3

BxB Hulk v Lion Kid
***1/2

Akira Tozawa v Naoki Tanizaki
***1/2

Yoshino v Naruki Doi
***3/4

Mark Haskins & Marty Scurll v CIMA & Gamma

PAC v Dragon Kid
***3/4

Shingo v Susumu Yokosuka
****1/2

Dragon Gate UK : DG v UK

Mad Man Manson vs Gamma

Lion Kid vs CIMA

Kirby & Hayes vs Yoshino & Dragon Kid vs Hulk & Tanizaki
***1/4

Marty Scurll vs Akira Tozawa

PAC vs Susumu Yokosuka
***1/2

Mark Haskins vs Shingo
***3/4​

#5,198 ·
BIG news.

So here is the big announcement. We hope that it won't disappoint...

As we approach our 15th birthday, Smart Mark Video has begun it's transition into a more modern platform for independent wrestlers and promoters to highlight their talents and products to an increasingly broader audience. What does that mean, exactly?

It means Smart Mark Video is launching "SMV on Demand," a new site that will offer video on demand and live iPay-Per-View.

We said 2012 was going to be a big year and we meant it. The game changes in a matter of days, when SMV on Demand officially opens!

#5,247 ·
PWG Kurt Russell Reunion 3

Fightin Taylor Boys vs Famous B & Chris Kadillak

BxB Hulk vs Jimmy Susumu
**3/4

Young Bucks vs Davey Richards & Harry Smith
***1/4

Naruki Doi vs Willie Mack

Mascarita Dorada, Candace LaRae, B-Boy & Cedric Alexander vs Joey Ryan, Peter Avalon, Ray Rosas & DEMUS 316
***3/4

CIMA & Ricochet vs RockNES Monsters
***1/2

Masaaki Mochizuki vs Roderick Strong
***1/4

Kevin Steen, Super Dragon & Akira Tozawa vs El Generico, PAC & Masato Yoshino

Overall:
Show of two halves. First half was sub par, 2nd was just above par. Average show overall. Didn't have the famous PWG atmosphere and the crowd sucked. Main event is what I imagine the 10AS main event was like (way too long with well executed moves but irrelevant and totally forgettable) but with better moves. MASCARITA DORADA stole the fucking show and quite frankly saved it for me.

#5,263 ·
Just an off night last night, started by a group of people who killed the vibe again. A frustrating crowd to wrestle in front of no doubt.

Some pretty ridiculous comments. Can we knock it off with telling wrestlers to go back to ROH? All of these guys are PWG regulars. Guys like O'Reilly love being in PWG. Roddy has been a PWG regular for years. I think he deserves a little more respect than that.
Indy fans will kill Indy wrestling long before any shitty wrestling does.

#5,273 ·
CZW DVD Aug. 10, 2002 "No Excuses" - Philadelphia, PA

1. GQ & Chri$ Ca$h vs. Derek Frazier & Sonjay Dutt vs. Towel Boy & Hurricane Kid

2. Ruckus vs. Z-Barr
*1/2

3. The Irish Drinking Team vs. VD

4. Ian Knoxx vs. Eddie Valentine (loser leaves)
*1/4

5. Rainman vs. "Sick" Nick Mondo
*1/4
Rainman is terrible, he botched way too much.

6. Team Wildside (The Lost Boys & T-N-T) vs. The Backseat Boyz, Nick Berk & Ty Street - Wargames rules
**1/2

7. M-Dogg 20 vs. Josh Prohibition
**1/4

8. Justice Pain vs. Billy Fives
*1/2

9. Nick Gage & Nate Hatred vs. Adam Flash & Doomsday Danny Rose
*1/2

10. Wifebeater vs. Lobo - Ultraviolent Fans Bring the Weapons Match
***1/2

Overal a decent show, the main event was sheer brutality, great match. Real mixed card with some very fun matches and a couple awful matches..

#5,285 ·
I think PWG has every right to kick out a person if they begin to infringe on someone else's ability to enjoy the show. Its no different than if you are at a comedy show and there is some guy heckling the performer. The club or performer has the ability to say that they need to go because they would rather have one less person in attendance then many people going home unhappy. When you look at CHIKARA they may have one of the most polite fan bases out there. They usually boo the heels, cheer the faces, and don't swear. Every crowd could learn from them. I mean it is okay to swear but still within reason. If PWG actually kicked someone out for bad behavior I think it would send a message to all indy crowds in the best way.

#5,287 ·
What are some of the best FIP matches and shows? I never really watched that company outside of some random matches.

Reactions: Rah
#5,291 ·
I'd suggest anything from the Briscoe's/Mad Man Pondo & Necro feud. Great stuff there. As far as some of the better shows go, my favorites:
Impact of Honor
Strong vs. Evans
Cage of Pain
Cage of Pain II
Redefined
In Full Force 2007
International Impact Phase One
International Impact Phase Two
Third Anniversary Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.