Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#1,951 · (Edited)
ROH 'Richards Vs. Daniels' - Chicago Ridge, IL - 10OCT10

- ANX vs. Cole & O'Reilly was fun but not in the league of that match from FB.
- Ricky Reyes carried Right Leg to a passable match.
- What the fuck was up with that attempted rape on Lady JoJo?
- Homicide-Steen was great. Steen's work, on this show in general, epitomises his awesomeness towards the end of last year.
- Metal Master vs. Mike Mondo was a really good match. The Metal Master gimmick doesn't really hang together properly yet, though. It's basically a more colourful version of Chad Collyer.
- Decent KOW-Briscoes match but they had much better in 2010.
- LUVVED Cabana-Corino.
- Davey vs. Daniels was a long, action-packed match. It's one of those matches that you really need to watch two or three times, to get your head around everything that you've just seen.
- This was a really good show. Anyone, who doesn't have it, should add it to their collection.

#1,967 ·
Daniels/Generico announced...

“The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels has held the ROH World TV Title since December 12, 2010 when he defeated current ROH World Champion Eddie Edwards in Louisville, KY. After winning the belt, Daniels vowed to be a fighting champion, whether it is on TV, iPPV, or otherwise; and largely stood by that promise as he successfully retained the belt on 6 separate occasions. Then came The House of Truth…

At “Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 2”, Christopher Daniels shocked the world by lambasting El Generico upside the head with The Book of Truth and laying out Colt Cabana with The Angel’s Wings. Daniels had elected to stand beside Truth Martini, Roderick Strong, & Michael Elgin as a full-fledged member of the HoT.

ROH officials, in lieu of garnering a new television show after “ROH on HDNet” ended, placed the belt on hiatus, much to the glee of Daniels. Yet “The Fallen Angel” expressly stated that he would still carry the belt to ringside with him on all live events lest anyone forget who the “only TV star in ROH” truly is. But would he put up the belt on his own merit? Just look at his recent bouts against Colt Cabana and El Generico to answer that question.

Cheat to win against Cabana once at “Revolution: USA”, a loss to El Generico at “Revolution: Canada”, and a loss to Colt in their rematch at “Supercard of Honor VI”; right now there are two different men who hold pinfall victories over the “champion”, two men who both have a legitimate claim on challenging for that title. And with the news of Ring of Honor’s impending debut on Broadcast TV, ROH officials have reinstated the World TV Title, and Daniels will make his first defense live on iPPV at “Best in the World 2011”!

As for his opponent: none other than the man who bested him in Toronto, the first of the two individuals who pinned Christopher Daniels, “The Generic Luchador” El Generico! For the first time, Generico will challenge for the ROH World TV Title, and it will all go down live on iPPV with GoFightLive! ROH cameras captured words from both champion and challenger so keep an eye out for those right here at ROHWrestling.com and at our official YouTube page, and get your tickets for “Best in the World 2011” right here: http://www.rohstore.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=507!

Can’t be there in person? You can still catch all the action live at GFL.TV right here: http://www.gfl.tv/Events/Fight/Wrestling/ROH__Best_of_the_World_2011/1052! Keep an eye out right here at ROHWrestling.com for more information on our next iPPV broadcast, and don’t forget to check out the new site exclusively devoted to “Best in the World 2011” (http://www.rohwrestling.com/bestintheworld/).

#2,008 ·
ROH - Final Battle 2010

The All Night Express vs. Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly - ***1/2
Easily one of the most exciting openers in recent history. Extremely spotty but all of them were performed to perfection. It was just too short for me to give it a higher rating.

Colt Cabana vs. TJ Perkins - **3/4

Sara Del Ray & Serena Deeb vs. Daizee Haze & Awesome Kong - ***
Off the top of my head, probably the 2nd best women's match I've ever seen in ROH.

Eddie Edwards vs. Sonjay Dutt - ***1/4
Obvioulsy Edwards vs. Omega would've been much better but I liked this too. Dutt's a fine "replacement guy" and I've always thought he was a solid worker.

Homicide vs. Christopher Daniels - **1/4
Weak finish, average match.

The Kings of Wrestling & Shane Hagadorn vs. Jay, Mark, & Mike "Papa" Briscoe - ***1/2
1/4* added for sheer entertainment. Papa was great.

ROH World Championship
Roderick Strong(c) vs. Davey Richards - ****1/4
So much drama going into Davey's nearfalls, fantastic match with some odd acting.

Fight Without Honor
Kevin Steen vs. El Generico - ****1/2
Symbolic.

Overall: 8.75/10
Fantastic show, probably my favorite iPPV to this point.

#2,041 ·
That match was the worst, for my money. It just felt like a bridge between the other two. A formality.

I disagree with a lot of the negativity, that's starting to develop, about WGTT's ROH run. They've been a real asset to ROH and the buyrates and DVD sales confirm that.

I'm always sceptical, whenever ex-WWE guys come into ROH but WGTT have exceeded my expectations. Shelton's performance in the Wolves match, for example, was one of the most focused and motivated I've ever seen from him. He brought the intensity that a lot of his WWE performances lacked.

WGTT need to be the first faces that are seen on the TV show IMO.

#2,039 ·
I almost fell asleep watching WGTT/American Wolves. And I was sitting in the 5th row when it happened! Granted it was my third ROH show in 2 weeks and I was a little burnt out but the beginning of that match was a total waste of time. The last 5 minutes or so were great but the rest wasn't. If I had to right a summary of the match....

First they did MOVEZ! and then they did SPOTZ!

I've liked the WGTT/KOW matches though. Both Center Stage and GBH were fantastic. Haven't seen the other one though.

#2,164 ·
The tag team match was a masterpiece, when it comes to characterisation of the four different teams. Four completely different personalities/approaches.

I hate multi-man matches atm and I thought that it was great. You can see Cornette's NWA influence is having some effect on the tag division nowadays too.

There were one or two botches though. Kenny and Rhett still aren't the finished article.

It wasn't Anderson's first Title win...

Just saying.

Can't wait to check out this show though.
Arn Anderson never held a World Title, sadly.

OH THAT GUY? Yeah, that was really emotional when they threw the belt on the first person that they could, when they thought the guy who's face was on the belt was going to prison. Really moving. Reminded me of Ian Rotten's touching 24th IWA:MS win.

-

Ahem...I'm gonna rewatch the Davey post-match and the first half of the show again while I wait for McDonalds to start serving real food.

#2,167 ·
WGTT signed with ROH...

ROH officials are excited to announce that the ROH World Tag Team Champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin, collectively known as Wrestling’s Greatest Tag Team, have signed their names on the dotted line and are officially under contract to Ring of Honor Wrestling!

Haas & Benjamin debuted for ROH at “Glory by Honor IX” when the unsuccessfully battled then-Tag Team Champions The Kings of Wrestling in a non-title bout. It would be several months before the ROH faithful saw WGTT in action again, at the December 2010 “ROH on HDNet” TV Tapings to be exact, but since that return they have remained undefeated as a team, culminating in Charlie & Shelton ending the nearly one-year title reign of the KoW at “Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 1”.

Since capturing the belts, WGTT have successfully defended the belts on two occasions, first against The Briscoes at “ROH Revolution: Canada” and most recently this past Sunday at “Best In The World 2011” where they managed to retain against the Briscoes, The All Night Express, and The KoW in an elimination four way.

Now Haas & Benjamin head into Richmond, VA on Friday night July 8th to defend their belts one again; this time against, as of this writing, unannounced opponents. But following the vicious beatdown perpetrated by Jay & Mark Briscoe after the match last night, Charlie & Shelton spoke their piece in the locker room to ROH’s cameras:

#2,212 ·
Hero vs. Elgin.

#2,217 ·
If they don't do Elgin/Cabana because of the feud that would be great for Charlotte, heard they had a great match up in Canada a couple of weeks ago. I guess they could do Hero/King and Rhett/Bennett or vise versa to fill out the card.

#2,293 ·
AAW Windy City Classic III
November 24, 2007

Austin Aries .vs. Silas Young - ***3/4, a really enjoyable match that didn’t have to go overboard with false finishes.

Shane Hollister & Absolute Answer (Christian Able & Caden Ames) .vs. Old School Wrecking Crew (Kris Hybrid, Bonebreaker Brooks, & Knight Wagner) - **, sloppy but not too bad given their experience at the time. Shane Hollister really shined.

Team Boz (Ryan Boz, North Star Express, Brandon Blaze, & Derek St. Holmes) .vs. Team Lawrence (Dan Lawrence, Krotch, Rasche Brown, Zach Gowan, & Jayson Reign) - *3/4

American History Next (Hardcore Craig & Steve Stone) .vs. Tony Rican & Cadillac Jones – Squash

DP Associates (Conrad Kennedy III & Trik Davis) .vs. The Phoenix Twins (Tweek & Dash Phoenix) - ***

AAW Heritage Championship Match
Jimmy Jacobs .vs. Eric Priest © - **

AAW Heavyweight Championship Match
Keith Walker .vs. Jerry Lynn © - **1/2

AAW Tag Team Championship Match
Murder City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) © .vs. Michigan Invasion (Truth Martini & N8 Mattson) - ***, some dull parts at the beginning and middle, but the finishing stretch made up for it.

I Quit Match
Tyler Black .vs. Danny Daniels - ****3/4, one helluva match. Worth the price of the DVD alone.

#2,301 ·
ROH Revolution: Canada

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Kyle O'Reilly: ***½
Excellent opener; these guys mesh incredibly well; O’Reily busting out the sharpshooter was awesome.

Steve Corino vs. “The Prodigy” Mike Bennett : **½
While Corino can certainty work a crowd up to get behind him; Bennett still is bland as all hell; and is still completely unimpressive. Not to mention when the whole match is built toward one man sticking his thumb up another man’s ass; it’s a bit unnecessary and I really wish Corino wouldn’t use that nonsense and ruin matches.

Rhett Titus vs. Adam Cole vs. Michael Elgin vs. Tommaso Ciampa, vs. Grizzly Redwood vs. Andy “Right Leg” Ridge: ***½
Fun; that is the exact word for this match; the last 5-10 minutes was just every where; Elgin looked like a beast and everyone else got there shine; perfect finish and would love to see more of these matches.

Davey Richards vs. Kenny King: ***¾
You take away the botched finish and I really though these guys worked real hard to put on a really good match; I think it was heading to being better than their big bang match; but the unfortunate finish and Davey rushing out put it just below it.

Colt Cabana vs. Delirious: (N/A)
Can’t really rate this one; it was a good tribute, definitely not a wrestling match; they danced around for a quite a few minutes then exchanged holds for about 30 seconds and then finished.

Christopher Daniels vs. El Generico: ***¾ - ****
These guys just gel so well, it’s not as good as their BITW match; but these guys still put on a hell of a match and another really strong finishing sequence.

Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe: ***½
Good defense for WGTT, nothing too bad with this match; but nothing overall great like they could do. The Briscoes back as heels really helps this match though.

Eddie Edwards vs. Chris Hero: ****¼-****½
A war, a battle; another epic title match for Eddie Edwards. Go out of your way to see this one; these guys just pour it all in to this; the last 15 minutes or so are just incredible.

Overall: 9/10
Hell of a show; strong wrestling throughout and capped with a world title match that needs to be seen; and should be very high on the MOTY lists. Also it’s the first time in a while I’ve been impressed with what they’ve done on the undercard. Claudio/O’Reily and the Double Danger are really just fun matches.

#2,311 ·
SMV - Best On The Indies - Notorious Scumbag - The Devon Moore Story

Interview with Moore was pretty good. Goes into the Mike Levy stuff in IWA-MS as well as some other interesting stories.

1. Chikara - Tag World Grand Prix 2006 Night 2
Devon Moore & Drew Blood vs The Northstar Express
**3/4

2. PWU - Jam Session #10
Devon Moore vs Azrieal
**3/4

3. PWU - Crazy 8 - Crazy 8 Match
Devon Moore vs Detox

4. PWU - Hot Streak
Devon Moore vs Trent Acid
**1/2

5. PWU - 22/7/06
Devon Moore vs 2 Cold Scorpio
**1/4

6. IWA-MS - April Bloodshowers 2007
Devon Moore vs Ricochet
**3/4

7. IWA-MS - 2007 Double Death Tag Team Tournament - Barbed Wire Ropes & TLC Match
Devon Moore & Joker vs CJ Otis & OMG

8. IWA-MS - 2007 Double Death Tag Team Tournament - Fans Bring The Weapons
Devon Moore & Joker vs The Bloody Brothers

9. IWA-MS - King of the Death Matches 2008 Night 2 - Pyramids of Pain
Devon Moore vs Nick Gage vs Dustin Lee
**1/2

10. IWA-MS - King of the Death Matches 2008 Night 2 - 200 Light Tube, No Rope Barbed Wire, Scaffold Match
Devon Moore vs Danny Havoc
**3/4

11. IWA-MS - Cold Wave
Devon Moore vs Tyler Black
***1/4

12. wXw - Saturday Wrestling 4 - Thumbtack Kickpads & Lighttube Bundles Match
Devon Moore vs Danny Havoc
*3/4
Not sure why this would make a best of. Really short and sloppy.

13. CZW - Best of the Best 9
Devon Moore vs Pinkie Sanchez

14. CZW - Starting Point
Devon Moore vs Rich Swann
*1/2

15. CZW - Down With The Sickness 4-Ever 2009
Devon Moore vs B-Boy vs Scotty Vortekz

16. CZW - Severed Ties
Devon Moore vs Egotistico Fantastico
**1/4

17. IWA-EC - Masters of Pain 2009 - Scaffolds & Tables Match
Devon Moore vs Yuko Miyamoto

18. CZW - Dragon Night
Devon Moore & Drew Blood vs Adam Cole & Tyler Veritas
**1/2

19. IWA-MS - King of the Death Matches 2010 Night 2 - No Rope Barbed Wire Fans Bring The Weapons
Devon Moore vs JC Bailey
**3/4

20. CZW - Home Sweet Home - Loser Leaves Town
Devon Moore vs Drew Blood
**3/4

21. CZW - T.O.D. vs Gorefest
Devon Moore vs Jon Moxley
**1/4

22. CZW - Twelve
Devon Moore vs Drake Younger
**1/2

Maybe its who he was working against but Devon seems to have gotten worse.​

#2,313 ·
ROH: Manhattan Mayhem IV

Michael Elgin and Mike Mondo w/Truth Martini vs. Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly

This was the perfect opener. Elgin looked like a total monster and I was actually impressed with Mondo. I was glad that he actually botched something because you knew that the crowd really wanted to jump all over him for messing something up. Cole and O'Reilly were awesome as always. I liked how different it was when they were in the ring with Mondo when compared to Elgin. It was liked they were trying to survive with Elgin but had no fear of Mondo. Awesome match, Cole and O'Reilly are quickly becoming one of my favorite teams out there.
***1/2

Tommaso Ciampa w/The Embassy vs. Grizzly Redwood

From a booking standpoint this was terrible. Redwood looked way too strong and Cimpa looked weak. The match wasn't too bad though and the crowd really seemed to be into it at times. Nothing incredible but I actually thought it was a decent little match, my biggest complaint is that they booked it all wrong.

Mike Bennet w/Brutal Bob Evans vs. Steve Corino

Less than 3 months prior to this Corino was evil and working with Steen, in this match he couldn't have been a bigger babyface. The way he transformed his character has been incredible. Green Lantern Fan even forgave him! His one man "Let's go Steve!" chant was hilarious. What works so well with Corino's turn is that he has altered his in ring style. It's like he needs to fans to cheer for him to prevent him from reverting to his old self. He gives this desperate, "Please like me." look every time he tried to get the fans to support. Bennet played the role as the cocky heel well enough too. One of the few matches from him that I didn't hate. Much better than his match with Daniels from the night before.

The Briscoes vs. The All Night Express

I loved the double turn. Perfect place to do it as well as the Briscoes had been getting heat ever since they did a run in on the KOW/MCMG match. I liked how they went about it as well, the Briscoes just came across as really aggressive. Jay saying, "Oh shit!" a bunch of times after he busted Titus open was pretty badass. The way that they went about getting ANX over as faces was the perfecr idea. Titus is much less likable so they let the Briscoes bust him open and beat the shit out of him. King got a strong reaction once Titus made the hot tag. The ending was really cool too, good idea having Titus get the pin as well.
***1/2

El Generico vs. TJ Perkins

Short but fun. Good back and forth match with a fast pace. They also did a bunch of cool moves. Nothing more to it though.

The Kings of Wrestling w/Shane Hagadorn and Sara Del Rey vs. LAX

Hernandez and Claudio in the ring at the same time was awesome. Homicide was the best that I've seen him in a while and Hero was his usual self. Good pacing during the match as well, it didn't last long but they never slowed down. It was a awesome to see in person and almost as great on DVD.

Pure Rules:
Davey Richards vs. Christopher Daniels

I really wish they hadn't fucked up the finish. Things were going so well for the first 24 minutes of the match and it sucks that the only thing that went wrong was the very last move Davey went to hit. I still loved what they did in the ring though. Daniels hinting at a heel turn by making Davey waste a rope break early on and almost refusing the shake hands after were both really clever. The technical stuff these guys were able to do was really impressive and it was made even better by the Pure rules, especially when the ropes couldn't break a hold for either man near the end of the match. They also hit each other really hard a bunch of times, which is almost always a plus. I really wish they hadn't botched the end of the match though. Granted the finish they called on the fly was pretty clever with Daniels celebrating right after and getting caught with a roll up, which enraged Daniels, but they should have done something for another minute or two to put some space between the crowd killing botch and the end of the match. Still a great match though.
****1/4

ROH World Championship Match:
Roderick Strong(c) vs. Eddie Edwards

I spotted someone in the crowd in the official "completely marking out" pose with both hands on his head and an excited look on his face. This was fought like a heavyweight battle and I think they were really trying to emulate some of the "epic battles" that we've seen in Japan. While it wasn't quite on that level I still thought the match incredible. It was hard hitting, Strong's chest was bleeding in the opening minutes, they wrestled at a more deliberate pace, and the crowd was awesome. It didn't come across quite as good on DVD as it did in person but I was expecting that. Being at the show live was one of my favorite moments at any wrestling show. The reaction to Eddie winning the title was just a great ROH moment, there fans jumping up and down, high fiving strangers, it was such an awesome moment. Eddie's reaction to it all was even better. It just seemed like everyone in the building was in disbelief. I was also totally fooled by two of the near falls that Strong had in the closing minutes, so bonus points for that.
****1/4

This is one of the best ROH shows this year and the double shot that ROH did might be better than the Center Stage Shows, which is really saying something.

#2,318 ·
So I'm just lookin through some indy sites, and I happen to stumble upon this:

Northeast Wrestling's Autumn Ambush
Saturday, October 1st - 7:30pm
Mid Hudson Civic Center
Poughkeepsie, NY
Already signed:

• Mickie James
  • David "Fit" Finlay vs. "Diehard" Eddie Edwards
  • Jerry "The King" Lawler
  • Tommy Dreamer
  • NEW Champion Matt Taven
  • Hale Collins
Pretty god damn awesome. Hope Eddie won't have to pull out of it because of ROH or somethin.

#2,320 ·
Just depends on the wrestlers. Eddie probably will considering who he's wrestling.

AIW - Hell On Earth 6

The Duke vs. AERO - **

AIW Women’s Title
Angeldust vs. Mena Libra - *

Tim Donst vs. Samuray Del Sol - **3/4

Blackballed (Josh Emanuel & Lamont Williams) vs. Irish Airborne (Dave & Jake Crist) - ***

Loser Leaves AIW
Eric Ryan vs. Bobby Beverly - ***

Gregory Iron & Masada vs. Hobo Joe & Justin Lee - ***

Intense Division Title
Shiima Xion vs. Marion Fontaine - **

The Olsen Twins (Colin & Jimmy Olsen) vs. A Call 2 Arms (Trik Davis & Shane Hollister) - ***

Casket Match
Tommy Mercer vs. Sterling James Keenan - *1/2

Absolute Title
Johnny Gargano vs. Façade - ***1/4

Bonus Match
Da Latin Crime Syndicate vs. Lights Out (Ben Fruith & Korey Winters) - *1/2

AIW - The Nightmare Before X-Mas 4

Mr. RBI & The Kombat Kid vs. Lights Out - *

Justin Lee VS. Nick Ando vs. Maximo Suave - *

Da Latin Crime Syndicate vs. Blackballed - DUD

The Duke vs. Dalton Castle - **

AIW Women’s Title
Angeldust vs. Portia Perez - *1/2

Tommy Mercer Gauntlet
vs. “New Jack” Verville - N/A
vs. Samoa Lou - N/A
vs. Johnny Gargano - **1/4

Gregory Iron vs. Matt Cross - **3/4

Tim Donst vs. Jimmy Jacobs - **3/4

AIW Tag Team Titles
Aeroform (Louis Lyndon/Flip Kendrick) vs. The Olsen Twins vs. Irish Airborne - ***1/2

Absolute Title - Ladder Match
Johnny Gargano vs. Shiima Xion vs. Façade - ***1/4

Reactions: smitlick
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.