Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#1,775 ·
Weighted pushups? So do you do pushups with a backpack filled with weights or something? How does that work exactly?

You seriously added 30 pounds of muscle by strictly pushups and pullups!!? This is pretty unbelieveable if true so I have a few questions...

1) How long did it take?
2) What is your complete pushup\pullup routine? Days\reps
3) Are you black?

#1,776 ·
Weighted pullups/chinups/dips. There is a belt where I can attach weight to. I usually put on a 45 weight.

It wasn't strictly pullups/pushups. I did those to help build my strength for other workouts, but I always dabbled in other exercises as well. I also did incline/decline bench presses, arm curls, squats, seated rows, you name it.

What I did was do pullups/pushups every day I work out no matter what body parts I'm working on for the day. When I started working out, I could barely do 10 pullups correctly, even assisted machine. Now I can do 15 normally with weights on.

Also, the weight I added wasn't all muscle. I usually go in bulking/cutting cycles to gain weight and tone out, so what I eat is extremely important. If you want to gain weight, you need to increase your calorie intake to be above what you are burning off for the day. You also need to increase your protein intake as that helps build muscle. But it is good to have some body fat on you, which is what I wanted.

1. I started lifting in late April, so it's been almost seven months.

2. Today, I go to the gym four times a week, so every time I do 2x15 pullups and 2x15 chinups with weights. I also do 2x15 situps with a 15 lb medicine ball. This is all in addition to the normal weight training I do.

3. Yes I am. :)

Now I have adjusted my routine from working out with friends, reading BB.com, and just experience. If you are just beginning, I would just do a normal routine with machines and make adjustments from there. And seriously, check out BB.com. They know what they are talking about there.

#1,779 ·
You just started?

Probably an illusion though. It's common to look bigger after a cut.

#1,781 ·
Nah I been working out for a year and I slowly, but surly developed muscle. Now i go like five times a week. My diet is usually a bagel with cream cheese in the morning, a protein shake, and dinner, whatever that is for the night lol. And if I smoke, a little food mixed in lol.

#1,783 ·
Yeah it's def an illusion then.

FF is correct.

#1,786 ·
There seems to be a lot of insightful people in this thread regarding weight lifting and what to do and what not to do while working out. I eat reasonable healthy and lift weights consistently but I do smoke weed. I've already asked my "Getting high" buddies and they don't really believe that it would effect muscle growth. So what do you guys think? Does smoking Marijuana effect muscle growth and hold you back?

#1,787 ·
Long term use of marijuana can cause decreased levels of testosterone i think. So if you're a chronic smoker then i'd say it would be inhibiting you a bit. Other than that i can think of no reason other than some side effects of pot, "munchies" + lazyness, that would inhibit muscle growth.

#1,793 ·
Pretty basic question from me, I know the basics but I'd just like to see if you guys have any ideas. I'm 5'11'', 10% body fat and about 72kg. I'm pretty much just lean muscle, but I need to gain some weight for rugby. I have about 4-5 months before next season starts, and am doing plenty of training on my own/as part of an academy team. I'm also trying to increase my food intake, and I have a pretty good diet.

What I'd like some opinions on is:

1: Any particular exercises I should be concentrating on.
2: Any specific foods I should be eating.
3: Supplementing - should I be doing it, how much etc
4: Whether I should concentrate mainly on heavy weights/lower reps, or should I keep doing light weight/high rep days?

Thanks guys.

#1,797 ·
essentially that, focus on bigger muscle groups, and make sure you're working with a rounded program. Had a few mates try to bulk up for rugby and essentially just worked their chest way too much.

try the stronglifts 5x5 program

Workout A

Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B

Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

now i've never tried i although i'm probably going to start it in my cricket off season to get back in shape seeing as i've started to stack on a few kg's this year.

#1,798 ·
I started regularly doing pullups at the start of July five/six days a week. I started at max 4 pull ups

By the start of November I could do a max of 15 at one go. I think for July and August I was mainly doing one set maximum, so from 4... increased 1 per week until 9. Then I got advice to do my pull-ups in sets instead, so instead of 9 in one go I started doing 5/5/5/x... Then it lead to 6/6/6/x then 6/6/6/6/x then 7/7/7/7/x... My max total was 33 I think 7/7/7/7/5. Around this time I tried doing one set again for the heck of it and I did 14 on one day and 15 the next day.

I'm in an exam period right now so I don't want to overstress my muscles so I'm doing 6/6/8 for a total of 20.

#1,802 ·
So I got a gym membership for Christmas, and a free month beforehand as part of it (Y). I'm 6'3 250, was 175, but got sick and bedridden for a month and lost all semblance of a metabolism from a near liquid diet then. That was two years ago. I was 240 before and I whittled it done to that in my first couple years of college out of high school, so I know I can do it again.

Looking to drop 20 pounds before visiting family for the holidays.

Right now I'm biking for about 45 minutes a day, and doing the circuit training area for 45 minutes, both 5 days a week. Take the weekends off. The thing is, I've never had a clue about anything, despite knowing it worked in the past for me. Just started this week.

My current routine:
Bicep curls: 5 sets of 15 at 20 pounds
Tricep Extensions: 5 sets of 25 at 30 pounds
Weighted crunches: 10 sets of 50 at 40 pounds, sets of 3 throughout the routine
Back extensions: 3 sets of 25 at 135 pounds
Inner and outer thighs: 5 sets of 15 at 50 pounds
Hamstrings: 5 sets of 25 at 50 pounds
Quads: 3 sets of 15 at 40 pounds

Still trying to figure out my target areas on this stuff:
Lat pull down: 3 sets of 12 at 30 pounds
Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 12 at 35 pounds
Pec/Delt fly: 3 sets of 10 at 30 pounds
bench press: 3 sets of 12 at 50 pounds
leg press: 3 sets of 12 at 80 pounds

I'm still trying to find my target weight on the last area because my upper core has been too sore since I set these on Monday. What size sets should I be using when I don't want to gain muscle? Ideally, if I was at 10% bf I'd like to be 185 pounds at most at 6'3. Is more reps at lower weights helpful? What percent of my max lift should I be doing? How much break should I have between sets? I have been doing a 10 count.

#1,807 · (Edited)
Right now I'm biking for about 45 minutes a day, and doing the circuit training area for 45 minutes, both 5 days a week. Take the weekends off. The thing is, I've never had a clue about anything, despite knowing it worked in the past for me. Just started this week.
okay for one, cycling every day and the weights 5 days a week is just going to lead to some epic DOMS if you're not used to it.

My current routine:
Bicep curls: 5 sets of 15 at 20 pounds
Tricep Extensions: 5 sets of 25 at 30 pounds
Weighted crunches: 10 sets of 50 at 40 pounds, sets of 3 throughout the routine
Back extensions: 3 sets of 25 at 135 pounds
Inner and outer thighs: 5 sets of 15 at 50 pounds
Hamstrings: 5 sets of 25 at 50 pounds
Quads: 3 sets of 15 at 40 pounds

Still trying to figure out my target areas on this stuff:
Lat pull down: 3 sets of 12 at 30 pounds
Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 12 at 35 pounds
Pec/Delt fly: 3 sets of 10 at 30 pounds
bench press: 3 sets of 12 at 50 pounds
leg press: 3 sets of 12 at 80 pounds
bicep curls, tricep extension, inner and outer thighs can go. Your reps are all over the place. A real basic way to think of how many reps you should do is based on what you want out of the program. Strength 1-6 reps, heavy weights. Power; 1-6 reps, heavy weights, performed quickly, Endurance; 15+ reps, lighter weights or LBM; 8-10 reps (which based of what you said you should be doing)

I'm still trying to find my target weight on the last area because my upper core has been too sore since I set these on Monday. What size sets should I be using when I don't want to gain muscle? Ideally, if I was at 10% bf I'd like to be 185 pounds at most at 6'3. Is more reps at lower weights helpful? What percent of my max lift should I be doing? How much break should I have between sets? I have been doing a 10 count.
You want to gain muscle, it burns more calories at rest. So do 3x10 reps, 45 secs beween sets. Break up your days a bit otherwise you'll keep feeling sore. Diet as i$e said is probably the most important thing here.

#1,804 ·
IF you're 250 you should be doing wayyyyyyy more weight. If you can't its not that big of a deal , gotta start somewhere.
I've never been a fan of circuit training . I've always done splits and it works great for me. (Chest - Monday , Legs Tues etcetc)
I take at least 45 seconds between sets
I'd do sets of 8-10 at a weight where reps 7, 8, 9 , 10 or 6, 7, 8 are going to be pretty hard to do. Not impossible to do , just a challenge.

Just remember when you are trying to lose weight .... your diet is key. working out is just a catalyst. You have to watch your calorie intake

#1,808 · (Edited)
Yeah, think I had split it up to arm and leg/upper core days in the past(more of a time constraint thing), but figured that since I can literally spend all day there now, I could do as much as I wanted.

Yeah, got some epic DOMS in the past, but I'm desensitized to feeling as a trait, so pain isn't as bad. Inner thighs were the fucking worst, somehow always aggravated those, no matter how much weight it was.

Think I split it up in the past legs MW, upper body TR, and Friday, everything. Or should I add in some more cardio then and lift every other day, with extra cardio on the off days? I'll try to figure out the weights for those sort of reps on Friday since tomorrow's Thanksgiving in the US, and get started on Monday with an altered routine. Had just started this routine on Monday and am sore beyond hell.

Also, whats a good speed for movement for an 8-10 rep set? Slow like the length of an exhale/inhale, or quick? I've found that slower seemed to help, because frankly I don't think I breathe enough as I often forget if I'm not synchronized with the movements. And how much water should I be drinking a day? I find myself drinking a gallon plus, with half a gallon before I even go since I go in the afternoon, and probably another half gallon while I'm working out, mostly during cardio.

And it's not that I don't want the lean muscle mass guys, frankly, I'm terrified of any mass at all as an ungainly giant that I'd accidentally hurt someone with my clumsiness. One of the reasons I'm drawn to the circuit training type machines versus free weights. It's a lot easier to be consistent in my motion with the machines vs free weights.

#1,811 ·
And how much water should I be drinking a day?

And it's not that I don't want the lean muscle mass guys, frankly, I'm terrified of any mass at all as an ungainly giant that I'd accidentally hurt someone with my clumsiness. One of the reasons I'm drawn to the circuit training type machines versus free weights. It's a lot easier to be consistent in my motion with the machines vs free weights.
Gallon is good.

You're not going to gain shit if you're doing what you should be doing to lose fat.

It takes fucking ages to become huge naturally so don't worry about 6 months of training on a cut. Lifting weights =/= getting huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.