Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#2,126 ·
For the fitness enthusiasts of you. I have started an account of my fitness work, I think I have made major, major improvements in 2 weeks! I will be damned to stop now. Please see: http://photobucket.com/beerbelly (password: exercise) for a before an after of 2 weeks and now. Obviously, if it's not your thing, don't click, don't hate - it's good for psychology and mental wellbeing :)

#2,127 ·
What a Password! I mean, it just oozes Charisman, it should be pushed into the Main Event.

no, just kidding. cool dude, always good to keep track of pictures.

#2,129 ·
Bit of a daft question but I have been doing cardio like a trouper for the better part of 4-5 months (Including at the gym, football, badminton and jogging) trying to get rid of a few love handles around my lower stomach. It doesn't seem to be working and it is fucking pissing me off. Anyone got any suggestions? I mean I have cut down on my junk food intake and had tried to eat healthier for the last 3 months but still doesn't pay off. Any one have any ideas on what to do?

On the plus side I feel a lot healthier internally and have more muscle mass on my arms compared to a few months ago.

#2,130 ·
Count calories and weigh yourself at the same point weekly (after you wake up, pre-breakfast, post-piss) so you can confirm if you're losing weight or not. If not, reduce caloric intake by 10% and see what happens. Repeat until weight is dropping.

If you're not lifting then you'll be losing muscle before the fat.

#2,131 ·
Thanks mate. I am lifting at least 3 times a week at the moment. Go gym three times a week (work on arms one day, general upper body chest, abs, back the next and then lower body on the third session) and do free weights at home twice a week.

#2,132 ·
Any good workouts for building muscle when you can't go to the gym and pick up some weights? I have a machine at home, is that suitable? It has a ton of positions and such.

Also, MXC what did you do to lose that? I have a similar belly and have been trying to lose it. I run on the treadmill for 45 minutes a day and in the morning and night do a few sets of crunches, push ups, etc. Basic stuff.

One of my main problems is I can't really decide what I eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Its whatever is made as I'm starting my first year of college this year, and still live at home. I do snack a lot and have a few too many sodas lol. So subbing those with a piece of fruit would probably help a lot.

#2,133 ·
In 2004 I weighed about 96 kg (210 lbs), my highest weight ever, but I worked out so it wasn't too bad. I wanted to box again, but wanted to fight in a lighter class (jr middleweight 70kg (154 lbs)).

The solution was dieting, but I would have starved. I half-assed it by eating a hearty meal, towards the end of the day, but that would be my only meal lol. It would be whatever I wanted, but nothing too crazy. That and I weighed myself everyday to see just how to keep weight off. Time went on, and my diet got better because I learned what to eat, when and why(I study in the healthcare field lol). I actually weighed 68 kg(150 lbs) after about 6 months to a yr.

(I also had to eliminate cakes, pies, junk food, sodas etc from my diet. I really don't eat sugar at all unless a case of munchies lol)

#2,135 ·
I could upload a picture of it if that helps. I'm not sure on the exact machine though as I didn't purchase it. I will have to do some research to find it.

I was mostly trying to work on biceps, triceps, and abs for now and rotate to more things later on. I'm pretty weak now, like one pull up weak.

#2,136 ·
Abs: Crunches (and the various crunch variants), plank, side plank, russian twist, leg raises.

Triceps: Dips, Push ups and variants work your chest and triceps (among other things)

Biceps: Pull ups

to be honest, i wouldn't just leave it at just working your arms and abs. Squats, even if they're free weighted, lunges etc will also be of benefit. IMO everyone should squat or at least do some lower body strength exercises, even if its not your goal right now, learning proper squat technique is important, and has far more real world application than any other exercise you can do.

#2,137 ·
I'm a firm believer in squats & deadlifts being the foundation of any serious strength and size.

#2,140 ·
I'm mostly going for strength.

I have work 9 AM-4 PM on weekdays, but it doesn't tire me or anything as its just work as a camp counselor so I'm free a ton of time. Except Friday and Saturday nights. Probably too much info lol.

I did a tiny bit yesterday and my arms are killing me.

#2,146 ·
1.) I personally lift 4 -5 days a week, and end with some abs. Never been way too sore the next day. So I'd say any day you lift.

2.) calf raises and running. maybe the step machine as well. I just tack calves on with my leg day.

#2,144 ·
I've decided to bulk up a bit before cutting. Im at 5'10, 177lbs. Starting using creatine again. Do you guys recommend mixing it with fruit juice or just drink it with water, and then eat a banana, oatmeal something high in carbs?

#2,147 ·
Abs get worked enough on your compound lifts. I'd also never lift more than 4 days a week although I guess it depends on your split. I do 3.

#2,149 ·
I'm about to do legs after a 10 day deload where I haven't the best diet (still pretty good).

In before strength loss.

#2,152 ·
Pleased to announce I didn't suffer any losses in strength after the deload. First time this has happened. Maybe it's because I gave myself 3-4 extra days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.